Your worst move as "GM" on HFBoards

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Oh boy, this could be a long post. My memory is guided largely by debates I've carried on. Years back I argued with Blind Gardien about the wisdom of trading Koivu, before he signed his last contract with the Habs. My generous (perhaps self-serving) recollection is that it was a stalemate.

Some lesser moments:

I denounced the Plekanec signing. Too much money for too much term. Sigh.

I stood by Carbonneau to the bitter, awful end. (Though I still think I would have been vindicated, eventually.)

I thought Redden would have been a good signing. An all-situation anchor defenceman signed long-term. Ugh.

That's enough for now. I'll probably be reminded of others, and I'll post them if I have the courage.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Oh boy, this could be a long post. My memory is guided largely by debates I've carried on. Years back I argued with Blind Gardien about the wisdom of trading Koivu, before he signed his last contract with the Habs. My generous (perhaps self-serving) recollection is that it was a stalemate.

Some lesser moments:

I denounced the Plekanec signing. Too much money for too much term. Sigh.

I stood by Carbonneau to the bitter, awful end. (Though I still think I would have been vindicated, eventually.)

I thought Redden would have been a good signing. An all-situation anchor defenceman signed long-term. Ugh.

That's enough for now. I'll probably be reminded of others, and I'll post them if I have the courage.

This already takes courage to a new level in this thread, imo.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I hadnt been so excited in years leading up to the 2005 draft and was completely gutted when they picked Price. I was shocked at Gaineys idiocy and wondered about TT. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Great pick guys.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Definitely my worst proposal, and perhaps the worst proposal in the history of HF Boards...

PK Subban for Brooks Orpik + Kevin Veillux

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Definitely Halak over Price.

I was also upset that we drafted a goalie with our 5th overall. I didn't have a problem with that goalie being Price, just that we drafted a goalie with that high pick. But I still think my reasoning was good. I still don't like drafting a goalie with a high pick because they take too long to develop and are too much of a crapshoot. We would have been better off with Kopitar IMO. But back then I wanted either Kopitar or Brulé. Ouch.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I don't think we can really think this way, because had trades happened/not happened (opposite of whatever went on in real life...), the outcome might have been very different.

For example, I was a pretty big Komisarek fan, but still believe the change of scenery was bad/tough for him. I think had he stayed here he would have kept a better performance level. We will never know...

I must say though, it took me a long while to accept that Plekanec was a player worth investing time in. Still think he's overpaid and "only" a good 2nd liner, but he has proven for sure that he can run a 2nd line efficiently.

onemorecup*

Probably same as you Halak/Price. Next would be drafting Leblanc. I thought he would be better than he has been.

According to how far back you want to go...I actually liked the Recchi trade at the time.

agreed me too Leblanc

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I hated the Cole for Ryder trade, mostly because I loved Cole a lot last year. Back in the day I thought Samsonov would be awesome for us and look how that turned out.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Same here, knowing now that Subban was in the trade, how terrible would that trade have been. Fun thread btw.

There's no official word on who was in the trade. Some say Subban, some say McDonagh. The most common one I heard was Price, Pleks and Higgins.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Wow this thread is refreshing !

I was pissed when they traded Skost.

Now I realize i would not want him on the habs because I have seen what a TEAM can do

StapleA

Mar 2, 2013
I remember back when I was thinking of trading Subban and keep Weber. And that Kugryshev was a better choice than Kristo, though I have no idea how's Kugryshev doing now.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
Thought Pierre McGuire could do a decent job as GM despite finding him annoying.

Lost my mind at the MT signing after watching youtube videos of him bashing his Pens players to the media.

Wanted to trade Price after rumors of a coke problem.

Was willing to part ways with Subban earlier in his career didn't think he would be able to be a mature pro.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
There's no official word on who was in the trade. Some say Subban, some say McDonagh. The most common one I heard was Price, Pleks and Higgins.

Actually Lawton, then Lightning GM said on Hockey Central, it was Lecavalier for Plekanec, Subban, Gorges and a 1rst round pick.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
I hadnt been so excited in years leading up to the 2005 draft and was completely gutted when they picked Price. I was shocked at Gaineys idiocy and wondered about TT. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Great pick guys.

I was desperate they would draft this big, skilled center from Slovenia that day, even if he was a reach at 5...

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
- Wanted to keep the kost brothers, regardless of problems.
- Wanted to sell house for r. smyth
- Wanted brule? instead of price
- Was really excited about pouliot, and freaked out at fatendresse's start with the wild.
- wanted to resign lang
- thought bourque was washed up (cammy would get a 1st, right now)

probably a lot more.

LaTenderness*

Stupid me thought the Gomez trade was a step in the right direction.

Smart me got banned from the official board for saying alot of not so nice things about Kostopolous, specifically that he was the worst ive seen at fighting

Edit ^ stupid me also wanted to keep the Kosti bros at all costs

Smart me wanted Alex Semin this offseason when everyone was saying he's a useless Russian

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I wanted Komi re-signed for as much as 6 million a year if that's what it would take to get him back on the team. Sigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad