Series Talk: Your Top 5 Under the Gun Leafs this Playoffs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Andersen was the Ducks starter by 25, Campbell is 28, if he was going to be a starter he would be by now.

Unless you think he's going to be the 3rd guy in about 70 years to become a starter past age 28, the other 2 being Johnny Bower and Tim Thomas

Jack Campbell is not a starter
Yeah it would be a monumental surprise if he were to become a starter at this point.
The Leafs certainly won't be counting on this to happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah it would be a monumental surprise if he were to become a starter at this point.
The Leafs certainly won't be counting on this to happen.

Andersen's contract is up after this years playoffs and next season.

With limited cap space with a projected flat cap the plan might be to go with Campbell, and that might strightly be because of cap hit consequences.

Andersen is certainly under the gun more than most Leaf players if Leafs hope to advance.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No, he wasn't. He was a platoon goalie, and a stop gap before Gibson was fully ready.

This is not true at all. Goalies are the slowest development path, often because they don't get the opportunity, because there are so few roster spots for them. Campbell's numbers are decent; he has the potential. It doesn't mean we should throw Andersen aside, but we aren't doomed if Andersen leaves. There are options.

Yes he was he played 54 games at 25 AKA the Ducks starter.

Yes there options if Andersen leaves but Jack Campbell as starter is not one of them, he is well past the point where it is realistic to believe he can start.

Even Binnington was only 26 when he took over.

Guys don't become starters past 28 that's why only 2 guys have done it in the last 70 years one is in the Hall of fame, the other would be but people hate him.

So unless Jack Campbell has Hall of fame potential and he doesn't it's not realistic to believe he can be a #1 at this stage.

Oh and before you try to tell me Andersen played 43 games after playing 54 the previous year, he got hurt it had nothing to do with your completely made reality where he's ever been a platoon goalie.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

With limited cap space with a projected flat cap the plan might be to go with Campbell, and that might strightly be because of cap hit consequences.

Andersen is certainly under the gun more than most Leaf players if Leafs hope to advance.

Flat cap does mean Andersen can't ask for as much

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah I could see a platoon situation but IMO, they will find a way to bring Andersen back.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes he was he played 54 games at 25 AKA the Ducks starter.
And then the next season he started less games than their actual plan for starter, Gibson, because he was just a stop-gap. You're putting a ton of stock into a year here or there, when it really just comes down to the opportunity they had in front of them. You're also ignoring their actual quality of play.
Guys don't become starters past 28 that's why only 2 guys have done it in the last 70 years one is in the Hall of fame, the other would be but people hate him.
I'd love to see you try and substantiate this claim, especially since it took me about 15 seconds to look at the last few years and see that you're wrong. Talbot had his first year as a starter at age 28.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And then the next season he started less games than their actual plan for starter, Gibson, because he was just a stop-gap. You're putting a ton of stock into a year here or there, when it really just comes down to the opportunity they had in front of them. You're also ignoring their actual quality of play.

I'd love to see you try and substantiate this claim, especially since it took me about 15 seconds to look at the last few years and see that you're wrong. Talbot had his first year as a starter at age 28.

No he started fewer games because hr got hurt.

Stop making up reality to fit your narrative

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No he started fewer games because hr got hurt.
He was hurt for less than 2 weeks. No mention of the impact of Gibson's injuries on Andersen's GP I see.

Took another 15 second look. Found another in just the last couple years. Markstrom became a starter just months away from turning 28. Not sure what you based your claim on.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He was hurt for less than 2 weeks. No mention of the impact of Gibson's injuries on Andersen's GP I see.

Took another 15 second look. Found another in just the last couple years. Markstrom became a starter just months away from turning 28. Not sure what you based your claim on.

Markstrom Wasn't 28, he was 27 again stop making up reality to fit your narrative. it would be even harder For Campbell to be the starter because he will be 29. It's not realistic he'd be a starter by now.

Even the example you used in Talbot is a backup again because he couldn't do it long term.

Goalies that are 28 or older do not become starters.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Markstrom Wasn't 28, he was 27 again stop making up reality to fit your narrative.
He was a few months from turning 28, just like I said. Players are judged by the quality of their play, not the arbitrary age (down to the month apparently) that you've decided they become useless. Is Campbell the next consistent Vezina-winner? No, probably not. Does he still have starter or at least platoon potential? Yeah, that's entirely possible.
Even the example you used in Talbot is a backup again because he couldn't do it long term.
He was a starter for 3 years. You said goalies don't become starters at age 28, not that they're not long-term solutions. You were wrong. Heck, even Thomas wasn't a long-term solution, but he still won them a cup.

Reactions: kb

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He was a few months from turning 28, just like I said. Players are judged by the quality of their play, not the arbitrary age (down to the month apparently) that you've decided they become useless. Is Campbell the next consistent Vezina-winner? No, probably not. Does he still have starter or at least platoon potential? Yeah, that's entirely possible.

He was a starter for 3 years. You said goalies don't become starters at age 28, not that they're not long-term solutions. You were wrong. Heck, even Thomas wasn't a long-term solution, but he still won them a cup.

Yes when I said 28 I mean 28, 27 is not 28 , therefore he doesn't qualify, also nobody said Campbell was useless I said he's not a starter that's what I said

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes when I said 28 I mean 28, 27 is not 28 , therefore he doesn't qualify
Players don't suddenly change when the clock hits midnight on their 28th birthday. You're talking about a matter of months. Players are judged based on the quality of their play. Period. I've already given you an example from just the last few years that shows your claim to be wrong, and you haven't even substantiated where you got that claim from in the first place. Kuemper also became a starter at age 28. Koskinen age 30. Greiss elevated himself from "just a backup" at age 29. Also Dubnyk, who elevated himself from platoon to starter at 29. Again, just in the last few years, not the 70 years you claimed.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Did you not watch the leafs this year

Yes.. is Willy not on pace for just under or around 70 points the same as his contract year. 0 progression. Still lacks toughness.. still looks sexy through entries. Off the glass n out or stop n curl to a broken play.

Willy can look great all game but ends up with 0 a lot of the time.

Edit on top of having a high ankle sprain and looking shit most of the year Marner still competes harder and finishes better. What 59 games 67 points to 68 games 59

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
90 to 100% of the time you absolutely need a HOT goaltender to win a Stanley cup or go deep, I remember 93 damn Habs won I think 10 ot games that run and Roy was just unbelievable, another was when the Oilers went to the cup finals because of Dwayne Rollosson was super hot, but got ran into late semi final game and was knocked out for the finals and Edmonton lost. Pittsburgh when Murray got hurt late reg season as the starter and Fleury stepped it up and played miraculous, then St. Louis as well with Binnington, there is many more New Jersey and Brodeur etc. The team obviously has to play well but the HOT goalie is always needed to ultimately win. Winning teams cannot afford a goaltender that lets in that soft goal at crucial times, this is where Fred needs to overcome. In some reg season games he played just absolutely outstanding last season and that is how he has to play in the post season consistent for a chance to win. Imho.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well now that our short-lived playoffs are over, I think we can look back at who was under the gun and whether or not they stepped up or not.

Frederik Andersen

No, Frederik Andersen, (once again) did not step up. I know I know, 3 EV goals all series, less than 2% shooting percentage. Those are both major issues but that doesn't change the fact that Andersen once again was unable to steal us a win and once again let in a goal that simply cannot happen in a do or die game. I'm tired of him. Ride him out for the one year he has remaining but Dubas better start actively looking for his replacement, because re-signing him is a non-starter.

Travis Dermott:

This dude is asked time and time again to take on a bigger role and step up his play and every single time he fails to rise to the occasion. He's like the Shuckle of the Leafs, just refuses to evolve. I don't know what you do with the guy at this point. He's an RFA so he needs a new contract. Sign him for cheap but I think we should stop expecting this guy to break out. He's incapable of it.

Alex Kerfoot:

Zero complaints. At times he was one of our better forwards this series, and his shift to PK duties paid off and will continue to since he's a natural centre. The Kadri trade is still overall a massive failure but that isn't Kerfoot's fault. A 3rd line C that can reliably kill penalties is a good thing to have. He's the only one on this list who exceeded expectations (which is funny given how someone quoted at me that expecting anything from this guy was foolish).

Tyson Barrie:

Speaking of the Kadri trade, Barrie is barely a bottom pairing defenseman at this point. Guy came in with huge expectations and flopped hard. Poor decisions with the puck, poor defensively, useless on the first powerplay unit, and a total non-factor throughout this series. This guy won't be in a Leafs jersey again. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Tyson.

Mitch Marner:

For near $11 million, he certainly didn't play like it. The majority of this series Marner was a non-factor. Tried to hard to make the perfect pass, effort level wasn't there a lot of the time. Yeah he got three assists during the comeback but two of them were secondary, and honestly 10 good minutes in a 5 game series is not good enough when he's being paid the way he is. He along with Nylander are the two obvious trade chips we have to improve the defence and overall depth of the roster. What a disappointing year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad