Series Talk: Your Top 5 Under the Gun Leafs this Playoffs

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by cgc83, Jul 18, 2020.

1. ACC1224 Keeping it real, someone has to.

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Yeah it would be a monumental surprise if he were to become a starter at this point.
    The Leafs certainly won't be counting on this to happen.

2. Mess Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Andersen's contract is up after this years playoffs and next season.

With limited cap space with a projected flat cap the plan might be to go with Campbell, and that might strightly be because of cap hit consequences.

Andersen is certainly under the gun more than most Leaf players if Leafs hope to advance.

3. LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Yes he was he played 54 games at 25 AKA the Ducks starter.

Yes there options if Andersen leaves but Jack Campbell as starter is not one of them, he is well past the point where it is realistic to believe he can start.

Even Binnington was only 26 when he took over.

Guys don't become starters past 28 that's why only 2 guys have done it in the last 70 years one is in the Hall of fame, the other would be but people hate him.

So unless Jack Campbell has Hall of fame potential and he doesn't it's not realistic to believe he can be a #1 at this stage.

Oh and before you try to tell me Andersen played 43 games after playing 54 the previous year, he got hurt it had nothing to do with your completely made reality where he's ever been a platoon goalie.

NikoEhlers likes this.
  4. LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Flat cap does mean Andersen can't ask for as much

5. ACC1224 Keeping it real, someone has to.

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Yeah I could see a platoon situation but IMO, they will find a way to bring Andersen back.

6. Dekes For Days Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    And then the next season he started less games than their actual plan for starter, Gibson, because he was just a stop-gap. You're putting a ton of stock into a year here or there, when it really just comes down to the opportunity they had in front of them. You're also ignoring their actual quality of play.
    I'd love to see you try and substantiate this claim, especially since it took me about 15 seconds to look at the last few years and see that you're wrong. Talbot had his first year as a starter at age 28.

7. LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    No he started fewer games because hr got hurt.

Stop making up reality to fit your narrative

NikoEhlers likes this.
  8. LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I think they have to Campbell can't play 60 games

9. Dekes For Days Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    He was hurt for less than 2 weeks. No mention of the impact of Gibson's injuries on Andersen's GP I see.

Took another 15 second look. Found another in just the last couple years. Markstrom became a starter just months away from turning 28. Not sure what you based your claim on.

10. LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Markstrom Wasn't 28, he was 27 again stop making up reality to fit your narrative. it would be even harder For Campbell to be the starter because he will be 29. It's not realistic he'd be a starter by now.

Even the example you used in Talbot is a backup again because he couldn't do it long term.

Goalies that are 28 or older do not become starters.

11. Dekes For Days Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    He was a few months from turning 28, just like I said. Players are judged by the quality of their play, not the arbitrary age (down to the month apparently) that you've decided they become useless. Is Campbell the next consistent Vezina-winner? No, probably not. Does he still have starter or at least platoon potential? Yeah, that's entirely possible.
    He was a starter for 3 years. You said goalies don't become starters at age 28, not that they're not long-term solutions. You were wrong. Heck, even Thomas wasn't a long-term solution, but he still won them a cup.

kb likes this.
  12. LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Yes when I said 28 I mean 28, 27 is not 28 , therefore he doesn't qualify, also nobody said Campbell was useless I said he's not a starter that's what I said

13. Dekes For Days Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Players don't suddenly change when the clock hits midnight on their 28th birthday. You're talking about a matter of months. Players are judged based on the quality of their play. Period. I've already given you an example from just the last few years that shows your claim to be wrong, and you haven't even substantiated where you got that claim from in the first place. Kuemper also became a starter at age 28. Koskinen age 30. Greiss elevated himself from "just a backup" at age 29. Also Dubnyk, who elevated himself from platoon to starter at 29. Again, just in the last few years, not the 70 years you claimed.

14. SlpLessInMuskoka18 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Yes.. is Willy not on pace for just under or around 70 points the same as his contract year. 0 progression. Still lacks toughness.. still looks sexy through entries. Off the glass n out or stop n curl to a broken play.

Willy can look great all game but ends up with 0 a lot of the time.

Edit on top of having a high ankle sprain and looking shit most of the year Marner still competes harder and finishes better. What 59 games 67 points to 68 games 59

15. Cobra777 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    90 to 100% of the time you absolutely need a HOT goaltender to win a Stanley cup or go deep, I remember 93 damn Habs won I think 10 ot games that run and Roy was just unbelievable, another was when the Oilers went to the cup finals because of Dwayne Rollosson was super hot, but got ran into late semi final game and was knocked out for the finals and Edmonton lost. Pittsburgh when Murray got hurt late reg season as the starter and Fleury stepped it up and played miraculous, then St. Louis as well with Binnington, there is many more New Jersey and Brodeur etc. The team obviously has to play well but the HOT goalie is always needed to ultimately win. Winning teams cannot afford a goaltender that lets in that soft goal at crucial times, this is where Fred needs to overcome. In some reg season games he played just absolutely outstanding last season and that is how he has to play in the post season consistent for a chance to win. Imho.