Series Talk: Your Top 5 Under the Gun Leafs this Playoffs

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Your Top 5 Under the Gun Leafs this Playoffs. This is mostly referring to the leaf players mainly on the trade/ salary cap bubble , havent made the best impression yet or future with the blue & white is uncertain and this post season could decide their fate .

My top 5 in order

01 - Travis Dermott is the guy , with too many LD for next season can he take that next step rather its at left or maybe right d and be a top 4 defensemen we so badly need him to be . All eyes on Dermott to maximize whatever opportunity ice wise he gets in august . Still think he has a lot more to give .

02- Alex Kerfoot takes #2 . With a good start and then not very good middle and end of the season , this guy needs to reclaimed that 3rd line c spot be a bit more gritty and chip in point wise every so often . 3+ million being behind #91 & #34 saleries , hasnt or doesnt play pk and has looked pedastrian a lot this year . He best gear up

03- Pierre Engvall is middle of the pack at 3 . Awesome start , got paid and then faded fast .The fact next season he's making roughly 1/2 million more than a base salary player on a cash strapped team this guy needs to stand out that much more and prove his 1.2 million salary next year is a better decision than an entry level player would be.

04- Kyle Clifford is # 4 . Easy decision if we make a decent run and Clifford can be effective with toughness he's probably re-signed and the leafs forefit that 2nd rounder to LA. If he doesnt fit or we bow out quick this playoffs we keep our 2nd and bye Clifford in my opinion.

05- Tyson Barrie is last #5 . Umm hope we can get something out of this guy and he finds some success on this team . I hope he clicks and under the current circumstances re-signs a team friendly 1 yr contract extension and the Kadri deal at least doesnt seem so so bad .

whos your top 5 questionable leafs that you expect some impression good or bad this post season ?

Reactions: 7even

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Andersen has to be on there for sure. He's had some sub-par playoffs in comparison to his usual self, he needs to be a wall this time around. If not, then we're probably f***ed.
I agree, another crappy playoff for him and the Leafs should start looking for a better option. I cant see him being here after his contract runs out regardless.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Team game defensively for everyone. No b.s just play better defense as a team or go elsewhere. Everyone is up against it after 3 straight exits right off the hop. Its got to stop

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Frederik Andersen: He’s has a poor season overall and given his past playoff performances for us he’s gotta be feeling the heat this time around. We’re the favourite this time and we’ll be close to 100% healthy. No excuse for him to not show up and lay an egg this time. We’re the favourite (even if only marginally) this time around. Time for him to put up or shut up.

Travis Dermott: In a year that has seen the team need him to step up, he’s been pretty up and down. He hasn’t been bad per se, but he hasn’t taken that next step yet that we’re all waiting for. Now he’s still young and a defenseman so the development curve being long isn’t unusual, but the our left side on defense is quickly looking crowded (which for a team like the Leafs is funny to say). Hopefully he can have an impactful playoffs, whether he’s on the left or the right.

Alex Kerfoot: Kerfoot came over in the Kadri trade and while we all figured he wouldn’t bring the same impact peak Kadri did I’d still consider his season underwhelming. He along with Johnsson and Kapanen were all really underwhelming offensively as our secondary scoring left quite a bit to be desired. He’s signed for a while so it’d be nice if he can step up his game as our 3C and have some type of impact in the playoffs.

Tyson Barrie: Barrie started out bad (thanks Babs) got going offensively, but then tapered off as he had to take on more responsibility as our defensemen kept dropping like flies due to injuries. He’s a UFA after this season and with a flat cap he’s going to be in tough to get that big payday he and his agent were looking forward to. A great playoff performance would go a long way to securing himself a high paying contract for the future.

Mitch Marner: Marner’s had a polarizing season, starting with that massive contract. Despite his high point totals he’s had stretches where he’s gotten few points, had little impact, and looked like he was fighting the puck. He’s been the poster boy for when this team goes through those stretches where they look like they don’t give a damn. He’s been okay in the playoffs for the Leafs so far during his career, but the opportunity to reach another level is there, and a great playoff performance would go a long way to winning him back some goodwill from a spurned fan base.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Andersen by far #1

Nylander #2. I know his advanced stats have been great in the playoffs but they need lead to big production now. Also he makes some bonehead plays and you can see him get afraid to battle at some points(not always).

Marner #3. You wanted the payday and you got it, now show you’re worth it.

Tavares #4. You are the captain and will have easier assignments, time to pop off.

Rielly #5. The back end will only go as far as he can take them.

no one should put Matthews in, he’s money.

Reactions: ToMaLe

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Andersen by far #1

Nylander #2. I know his advanced stats have been great in the playoffs but they need lead to big production now. Also he makes some bonehead plays and you can see him get afraid to battle at some points(not always).

Marner #3. You wanted the payday and you got it, now show you’re worth it.

Tavares #4. You are the captain and will have easier assignments, time to pop off.

Rielly #5. The back end will only go as far as he can take them.

no one should put Matthews in, he’s money.
At least this time Nylander will actually get offensive opportunities. Especially when down by a goal.

I'm not worried about the big 4. They'll be fine and Matthews had 5 goals in 7 games last year.

Andersen is my #1. Needs to play better than he did most of the year.

After that my only real worry would be how the defense meshes after really not playing together all year as a full unit.

Kerfoot finally being able to settle in the spot we acquired him for with a healthy jaw should be interesting too.

member 300185

So, one quarter of the team you want us to pick?

1-Dermott
2-Makayev

the end.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
in no order:
AM
WN
MM
JT
FA

Yea for the most part the big stars will of course get the most pressure to perform.

Beyond that...

- I think Barrie is going to be under pressure for various reasons (playing for contract value; some Leafs fans having buyers remorse)
- Dermott is going to be under pressure to establish he can play RD or that he's really top 4 quality in LD
- Clifford is a UFA so there could be some pressure there

I don't think Rielly or Muzzin are under any specific pressure, but as our best dmen they need to play well.

For the rest, it's more of an opportunity to show what they can do.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Hmm, some really good comments and reasoning so far.

My list is simple:

#1 - Andersen (G): Needs to show he can be consistent and get it done in the big moments. If he does, I think he is considered for an extention, if not, I think we move on next season.
#2 - Marner (F): I feel if he withers his trade likelihood goes way up, but his value drops. So will be interesting to see how it plays out. If we are to go on a run, he has to be a major impact player.
#3 - Rielly (D): Word on the street is he is healthy. Word from the stats pack is that this team is good when he is healthy. I think he needs to show more leadership and bring a complete shut-down effort.
#4 - Nylander (F): Had a very good pre-Covid season. His contract is looking like a 'deal' more and more. If he can score consistently and not be a liability on D, I think he solidifies his place on the roster long term provided Marner doesn't explode.
#5 - Dermott (D): Was flashy on arrival with some very rough edges. Injuries have seemingly limited his progress but there have been some positive hints. Is he more than 5-6? Is he expendable? I think his run in these playoffs dictates that.

Barrie is a goner after this season, so I don't see his play mattering as far as the Leafs go. Honorable mention to Keefe I guess, though I think his leash is long enough yet, it will be interesting to see if he is able to perform better with this roster than the former coach.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
I disagree with all the Andersen naysayers. First time around Andersen to take the blame. last year. "No Way" Watch some of those replays. Slow reaction time by players up the ice(often the same player) led to many opposition chances/gifts. My goalie can bail me out a couple times a night, sometimes for a whole period. But not 5 and 6 times a period.
#!
JT needs to find another gear, get physical and lead this team. All the rest will follow!!!!

Mar 26, 2010
Andersen for sure is #1 here. He has proven to be inconsistent. The Maple Leafs entire success falls on his shoulders.

If Andersen does not show up against Columbus, it will be a short series, and the leafs will be eliminated.

Reactions: Cobra777 and ToMaLe

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
1) Marner...time to cash the cheques his mouth wrote before his payday. Wanting to be a captain, wanting to be paid like the teams best player, one of the highest paid players in the nhl. etc etc.

2) Andersen - given.

3) Barrie - big trade, big spotlight..he also is a UFA and should have lots of motivation (considering the flat cap he will have to prove even more to potential suiters)
4) Matthews - given. He is expected to put the team on his back, much like all stars are.
5)Tavares - Captain, big shoes to fill..big contract, big expectations.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Fortunately he will play the whole playoffs.

That's far more impressive to me.
Didn’t he get suspended for driving his former teammate head first into the boards from behind in a senseless and incredibly dangerous play?

Kadri made bad decisions on emotion. Kerfoot is just dumb at room temperature.

Reactions: New Liskeard

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner and Nylander. Only because, for a team that's cap constricted, these two big names are the best option to not only improve the cap situation but also land a coveted defensemen for this team.

Marner needs to rebound from an inconsistent season and show why he deserves his contract.

Nylander needs to keep up what he's done this past regular season, and shed that label from his doubters that he's a soft perimeter player.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Didn’t he get suspended for driving his former teammate head first into the boards from behind in a senseless and incredibly dangerous play?

I'm not sure what that means but it made me laugh...

I think Kerfoot started off behind the 8-ball, he gets traded for a lunch pail Larry heart on his sleeve fan favorite in Kadri, then he breaks his jaw ... he really has an opportunity to press that restart button. I watch the videos of him in Colorado and then compare to his time in Toronto, looks like 2 different players.

He will always be compared to Kadri , which is not fair to him, you can't compete with a ghost. I remember when Sundin was traded for Clark, people hated Sundin, not for his play or skill level but because he was not Clark. Kerfoot is not Kadri, will never be Kadri but he can be Kerfoot.

Kadri is a 45ish to 55ish point player, Kerfoot is a 35ish to 45ish point player. Kerfoot a cheaper option with less production and in the end, that is what matters, we needed a 3rd line guy who could fit under the cap. In the end we save about 1 mil and lose about 10 points from the 3rd line center role. Those lost 10 points was replaced by Willie Ny's growth in production.

The guy has no excuses now, he should be healthy, he should have decent line mates and he should have a coach that will put him in a position to succeed.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Marner and Nylander. Only because, for a team that's cap constricted, these two big names are the best option to not only improve the cap situation but also land a coveted defensemen for this team.

Marner needs to rebound from an inconsistent season and show why he deserves his contract.

Nylander needs to keep up what he's done this past regular season, and shed that label from his doubters that he's a soft perimeter player.

I think one of the guys on Overdrive said it the best, these guys are paid like superstars, they need to play like superstars.

I interpret that as every night they have to do something that impacts the game to help their team win. That means no nights off, no rest periods. Marner, Tavares and Matthews need to be more than a point per game players. Willy Ny needs to be around a point per game. They can't just play like really good players, they have to elevate their game to Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Marchand, Pasternak, Bergeron, Kucherov levels.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I think the only player that the microscope should really be on as an individual these playoffs is Andersen. The team can play great but if Andersen isn't making the saves in his end and keep any team at 2 goals and under the team is going no where. He hasn't gotten the job done in the playoffs thus far in his career and needs to prove he can do it. Having said that, I have faith in his ability as I believe he is top 10 in the league. He needs to show consistency. Also he has been notorious for being a slow starter in October and he is going into the same situation now only starting in elimination games, so we can't afford to have him be asleep at the wheel.

Other than that I think everything else is on overall team defence and effort. I have zero worries about any of the big 4 up front scoring. We have a healthy group on D now. This team's problem in the last few playoff rounds as well as any time we los a game really comes down to the team's lack of giving a full 60 minutes effort. It's one of the few things Babs was right about. Like last year, we could've ended the series in game 6 but the team took their foot off the gas and Boston took advantage. If this team can pay attention to details on checking and defensive assignments and make it easier for Freddy to not have to bail us out all the time, we should be fine. If we can do a good job of keeping up the effort and pressuring the other team's players and boxing them out, our offense should be able to carry us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->