Your Top 5 in 2011

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Just curious as to how everyone would rank their top-10 for the 2011 draft... For me personally, not having seen any live but only on internet and hoping to see some live as I live in Buffalo and am hoping to get a few games is of WJC hockey, here it goes...

1. Adam Larsson- This guy just has so much pedigree and has been playing against grown men for the past two seasons.

2. Sean Couturier- He's definitely got size, and seems like he can be an Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf type if he pans out.

3. Gabriel Landeskog- He might knock the two aforementioned players of their spots because this kid is putting up nice numbers, shows leadership skills, and fights. I believe the WJC will do a lot for where these first three end up... for all the players but these three especially.

4. Ryan Murphy- He's so dynamic and if he had a bigger frame, he'd be up higher. Supposedly his defensive game is better. And while there are NHL'ers his size (Dan Boyle comes to mind) on the blue line that do well, it still remains to be seen if he can take the beating of grown men throughout an 82 game schedule.

5. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- Kid has speed and skill, but he's another player that seems a little light for the pros, but I believe he'll be fine and end up having a nice career as a second line center who puts up 25-50-75 type point numbers during his career. just my 2cents

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
yea you are correct, I guess I mean that as like ana bove average year. I see him as being a guy like A David Kreji or Derek Roy. Can put up nearly a ppg, but just doesn't have that "it" that makes you a number one centerman in the NHL. Two things now... first some will disagree and say that Kreji and Roy ARE legitimate #1 centers. Kreji may be... but then why keep Savard re-sign Bergeron and draft Seguin if he's a legit #1 guy? And Roy has had time to prove he's a number one. I believe he was trying to this season, unfortunately he won't get to this year because he's out for the year. Second... Some will disagree that RNH doesn't have that "it" quality. I might be wrong because I have not seen him play nearly enough, I just don't want to be the guy who hears the comparisons to Datsyuk or Sakic's styles of play and then incorrectly correlate that with him having those type of abilities at the NHL level, just way too soon to see how he develops.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Good list, but I'd just like to point out that 75 points is top-tier first line numbers, not 2nd line.

This was the only thing I planned to say lol well I'll have to contribute something else

Uhh, for me personally, my top 10 is this:

Larsson
Couturier
RNH
Landeskog
Murphy
Strome
Hamilton
Siemens
Saad
Rask

Personally, I just dont see couturier with the same offensive upside as a staal or a getzlaf, but he should be a perfect compliment to 2 wingers like hall and eberle ;)

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
As of right now, my order is:

1. Sean Couturier - Safest #1 pick in my book. Has all the tools to be a top flight center and has low bust potential, which is important to me if I'm draft #1 overall.

2. Adam Larsson - Love this kid but taking a defenseman is always risky. Players like E. Johnson have not panned out as well as the forwards drafted right behind him.

3. Gabriel Landeskog - With teams always looking for the next great power forward, this kid has landed #3 in my book due to his size, skill and style of play.

4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Want to put him 3rd, but I just don't like his size and players with his type of talent should be putting up more goals in Jrs. I understand he puts up a lot of points, but I question taking a forward in the top-5 that has trouble putting up 30 (20?) goals in their draft year in Jrs.

5. Ryan Murphy - Awesome player that multiply people in the Boston media have fallen in love with but he is too small for my liking. I understand he's 17 (18?) years old, but when I was that age I was 6-0 and have only grown 2 inches since (10 years). IMO he could be the best player from this draft but he could also be a huge bust due to his size.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Call me crazy...... but this is my list if I'm a GM.

1. Couturier
2. Landeskog
3. Larsson
4. Murphy
5. Nugent-Hopkins
6. Armia
7. Saad

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
1. Larsson
2. RNH
3. Couturier
4. Landeskog
5. Murphy

Lots of GM's will value the guy who can play at 18. It would not surprise me if Landeskog, Couturier and Larsson went top 3 in any order. Love the way Larsson projects to the NHL, RNH would have been a long term Datsyuk type project 10 years ago, now he can play 19 or 20. Is Couturier closer to Eric or Jordan, I think he's in the middle.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Call me crazy...... but this is my list if I'm a GM.

1. Couturier
2. Landeskog
3. Larsson
4. Murphy
5. Nugent-Hopkins
6. Armia
7. Saad

I like your list. I would swap RNH over Murphy. If I dont see much developing in Larsson's play I would drop him to fifth.

Rask will not be TOP10. Later first round or early secnd round pick IMO.

GREENs Guardian

Dec 14, 2010
Canada
Top 9

IMO, when we look back on this draft in 5 years this is how i feel the top 9 will shake down. ISS ranks in brackets.

1. Couturier (1)
2. Landeskog (4)
3. Nugent-Hopkins (2)
4. Larsson (3)
5. Saad (5)
6. Armia (7)
7. Murphy (6)
8. Jurco (22)
9. Puempel (12)

member 30781

1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH
4. Landeskog
5. Murphy

Thats how I think it should be.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
hahahahaha?

Thanks for the insight, NAAT!

Rask might be a reach at 7 but he could easily be in the top 15 if a scout or organization really like what he brings to the table

At this point, no clear #1 IMO...lots of guys are close, but the guy taken at 2, 5, or 10 could easily be the best player in a few years

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think Larsson, Murphy, Nudgent-Hopkins, Landeskog and Couturier are pretty much the consensus top 5 at this point.

I'm more interested in who the next 5 are on most people's lists.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think Larsson, Murphy, Nudgent-Hopkins, Landeskog and Couturier are pretty much the consensus top 5 at this point.

I'm more interested in who the next 5 are on most people's lists.

My next 5 are Strome, Hamilton, Siemens, Saad, and Armia...guys like Rask, peumpel, musil, McNeill, etc could challenge, but so far there might a few guys separate themselves in that area and push the top 5

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
My top 10 would look like this:

1 - Sean Couturier
2 - Gabriel Landeskog
3 - Adam Larsson
4 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
5 - David Musil
6 - Duncan Siemens
7 - Dougie Hamilton
8 - Joel Armia
8 - Victor Rask
9 - Matt Puempel
10 - Sven Bartschi

Yes, I realize that I'm really reaching with 2-3 of these picks, but am not as high on players like Murphy, Saad, Rattie, and Strome as others are.

Last edited:

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
1. Sean Couturier
2. Gabriel Landeskog
3. Adam Larsson
4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
5. Joel Armia
6. Ryan Murphy
7. Ty Rattie
8. Dougie Hamilton
9. Brandon Saad
10. Matt Puempel

NYI Win

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the insight, NAAT!

Rask might be a reach at 7 but he could easily be in the top 15 if a scout or organization really like what he brings to the table

At this point, no clear #1 IMO...lots of guys are close, but the guy taken at 2, 5, or 10 could easily be the best player in a few years

hahahahaha?

Hahahaa... Cool for your club bro?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad