Your top 30 2012 draft

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I also hope Cristoval "Boo" Nieves falls into the second round or the Leafs take him if they have a mid-first.

Love that kid's skill set.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Links to what.

These are always based on people's speculations. There is no way to determine whether it's true or not.

At this time last year many people in the know said 2011 was going to be a down year. But, as it has gotten closer, those same people have changed their tune. This draft might not have as much high end talent as year's past, but the depth is absolutely there.

Even Bob Mac said it this year....20-40+ is hugely wide open with a ton of well rounded players.

We should both do some research before saying that, cause that speculation is exactly why I said it.. lol

pouskin74*

I liked what I saw from him. I agree on one thing Yakupov is a classic example of a player being overrated because of people looking at the statistics. He is a great talent and one of the top prospects going in to next year but he isnt above the rest of his peers as some might think looking at statistics.

The dgroup coming from the WHL does look very very very strong though. Definitely looks like a amazing age group for this draft overall.

people who arent from NA are obviously overrated, so no suprise in here:sarcasm:

0123456789*

people who arent from NA are obviously overrated, so no suprise in here:sarcasm:

Funny as im not from NA myself although I live here. I actually think most European players are under scouted and as a result there are players under rated. Its out of Europe where you get the late round steals. I have watched Yakupov play and am impressed with him, I did say he is one of the top prospects. I just think he is over rated by most people based on his stats and not his overall play and potential. I think there are a few forwards right now going in to the same draft that I would rank very similarly to him, who goes where then is more based on personal preference.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I also hope Cristoval "Boo" Nieves falls into the second round or the Leafs take him if they have a mid-first.

Love that kid's skill set.

I love Nieves skill set as well. He is one of the more enticing prospects out there, but there are some serious warning signs with him.

I know USA Hockey tries to mold their NDP team a certain way, and they dont really pick perimiter players, but you have to wonder how a kid like Nieves who is considered in the top 3 for USA 94 forwards (Galchenyuk, Nieves, Michaelson) does not make the USNDP. You have to wonder if there is more to Nieves that many of us arent seeing.

Then, follow that up with an OHL draft that he was ranked pretty much everywhere as a first round pick, but then falls all the way to the 10th round, pick 182!! Now you can look at it and say that many teams got scared of Nieves commiting to Michigan in 09, but there has to be more to it then that. This kid is a heck of a hockey talent. A skilled a slick 6'2 center that has amazing hands should not fall to pick 182 due to concerns about college, we have seen kids skip on college commitments like it was no big deal before.

I am a big fan of Nieves, and I hope the kid shows USA Hockey what they missed out on, but you have to wonder why USA Hockey didnt pick him, and why all OHL teams passed on him until pick 182???? I dont have the answers for either.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I liked what I saw from him. I agree on one thing Yakupov is a classic example of a player being overrated because of people looking at the statistics. He is a great talent and one of the top prospects going in to next year but he isnt above the rest of his peers as some might think looking at statistics.

The dgroup coming from the WHL does look very very very strong though. Definitely looks like a amazing age group for this draft overall.

Yakupov is not overrated. Not sure how you come up with this theory, but it isnt just about stats. I watch as many of Sarnia's games as I can catch, and he clearly stands out almost every single night. I have little doubt that he is the most talented offensive threat for the 2012 draft as it stands, and that wont change anytime soon.

Galchenyuk has a chance to catch him, but Yakupov is better at the moment. I watched Galchenyuk for a few years in Chicago, and I wish the best for the kid. He is an exciting package that already has NHL size and hands. He will be a high end player in a few years at the NHL, I have no doubts. Both of these kids will make some NHL teams very happy next year.

yanokovich

May 31, 2008
Montreal
Top 10

1-Griffin Reinhart
2-Alex Galchenyuk
3-Zemgus Grigersons
4-Martin Frk
5-Nail Yakupov
6-Ryan Murray
7-Slater Koekkoek
8-Nick Ebert
9-Matt Dumba
10-Brendan Gaunce

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Top 10

1-Griffin Reinhart
2-Alex Galchenyuk
3-Zemgus Grigersons
4-Martin Frk
5-Nail Yakupov
6-Ryan Murray
7-Slater Koekkoek
8-Nick Ebert
9-Matt Dumba
10-Brendan Gaunce

There is no way Ryan Murray isn't picked in the 3, let alone the top 5.

0123456789*

Yakupov is not overrated. Not sure how you come up with this theory, but it isnt just about stats. I watch as many of Sarnia's games as I can catch, and he clearly stands out almost every single night. I have little doubt that he is the most talented offensive threat for the 2012 draft as it stands, and that wont change anytime soon.

Galchenyuk has a chance to catch him, but Yakupov is better at the moment. I watched Galchenyuk for a few years in Chicago, and I wish the best for the kid. He is an exciting package that already has NHL size and hands. He will be a high end player in a few years at the NHL, I have no doubts. Both of these kids will make some NHL teams very happy next year.

Well im probably not explaining my self very well. I love what he shows, but also im starting to get the feeling to many people are placing him first overall and by far as the best forward in the draft. I have no problem arguing that he is the best forward in this draft but I just dont think its a sure thing right now and the gap is pretty small. For all I know he comes in next year and dominates to the point where there is no argument, but I just think based on his trajectory, size, whole game, situation I just think there are a few interesting players that will be catching up to him next year.

Anyways I havent seen him nearly enough so I really should hold of on commenting too much:D

Really though this draft is shaping up to be a beauty though, its incredibly how much talent there is already.

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Campagna well break out next year, and Sudbury well have there first 1st rounder since Foligno :)

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Well im probably not explaining my self very well. I love what he shows, but also im starting to get the feeling to many people are placing him first overall and by far as the best forward in the draft. I have no problem arguing that he is the best forward in this draft but I just dont think its a sure thing right now and the gap is pretty small. For all I know he comes in next year and dominates to the point where there is no argument, but I just think based on his trajectory, size, whole game, situation I just think there are a few interesting players that will be catching up to him next year.

Anyways I havent seen him nearly enough so I really should hold of on commenting too much:D

Really though this draft is shaping up to be a beauty though, its incredibly how much talent there is already.

Yakupov (as an import, which makes it more impressive) is producing at exactly the same rate as both Hall and Stamkos did in their pre draft seasons. Statistically he is at the exact level of 2 of the last 3 #1 overall picks.

The gap between him and other highly ranked Forwards is actually fairly significant right now. I think right now Yakupov is without doubt the best Forward in his draft class. You can't really be scared about projections either, seeing as he clearly has elite Offensive tools that will definitely translate to the NHL game.

pouskin74*

you right, there isnt anything SURE before door is closed but so far gap isnt small at all .

Jacob Christian

May 27, 2008
Some I can think of at the top of my head.

EUROPE:
- Oscar Dansk
- Filip Forsberg
- Sebastian Collberg
- Kim Lilja
- Calle Anderson
- Mikhail Grigorenko

A month ago, Kim Lilja was released by Leksand and reports said that he had quit playing hockey because of lack of lust. Only a few days later he decided to play for his hometown team of Luleå HF from where he came to Leksand before the start of the season.

Lilja is a huge talent but if it is true that he already now has a motivational issue, many teams might be scared away from selecting him.

Denmark doesn't really have any players with first round potential but a couple of players could be potential mid to late round picks:

• Christian Chapman - C - Frederikshavn - 1994
  • Thomas Spelling - RW - Herning - 1993 (if not selected in 2011)
  • Patrick Russell - RW - Linköping J18/J20 - 1993 (if not selected in 2011)
  • Nikolaj Meyer - W - Malmö J20 - 1993 (if not selected in 2011)

I highly doubt that Spelling, Russell and Meyer will be drafted this year. Meyer has the biggest chances but I am very doubtful.

Btw, check this list for an overview of the best Danish prospects (courtesy of Valdemar of IHF): http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showpost.php?p=170842&postcount=37

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Guys if you need a (C) then take Grigorenko. He is the better C ive seen through of my life. Griga>>Malkin

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
heres a quick top 10 for me

1. Ryan Murray (Everett)
2. Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia)
3. Nick Ebert (Windsor)
4. Nail Yakupov (Sarnia)
5. Matia Marcantuoni (Kitchener)
6. Luca Ciampini (Halifax)
7. Mikhail Grigorenko (CSKA)
8. Brendan Gaunce (Belleville)
9. Morgan Reilly (Moose Jaw)
10. Derrick Pouliot (Portland)

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
heres a quick top 10 for me

1. Ryan Murray (Everett)
2. Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia)
3. Nick Ebert (Windsor)
4. Nail Yakupov (Sarnia)
5. Matia Marcantuoni (Kitchener)
6. Luca Ciampini (Halifax)
7. Mikhail Grigorenko (CSKA)
8. Brendan Gaunce (Belleville)
9. Morgan Reilly (Moose Jaw)
10. Derrick Pouliot (Portland)

Why is Alex Galchenyuk higher than Nail Yakupov on some of these lists? I mean, statistically speaking, Yakupov is outscoring Alex by a 20 point margin this season (and has played 1 game less than him to top it off).

Excited about this draft, from a Leafs POV (that is, if we are bad again which is highly likely).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad