• Stinker

Votes: 22 4.5%

• Total voters

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Yesterday rated our 1st round an A cause they were bold and if everything goes as expected, both Slafkovsky and Mesar could have very important roles in the future.

Today, I'm juste 'satisfied'. Beck is 'meh' to me, just a safe guy, if he develops he's probably going to be a 3rd line C, but at least, could be a good one. Still, there are so many guys I would've taken before him... oh well.

Hutson is a homerun pick, don't particularly like midget Dmen, but he's so damn skilled I don't mind the pick at all. Wouldn't have minded Odelius or Perevalov instead, though.

Rohrer I like a lot, could be a steal if he keeps developing, I mean, that's a pretty good feat to be able to outscore his whole team (a shitty one, but hey) on his 1st year in the OHL, while being one of the youngest players in the draft.

Engstrom I didn't have a clue who he was, but I love the fact he's a huge riser this year, don't expect much more than a 3rd pairing, defensive D but who knows, still would have prefered George, Lindgren or Dolzhenkov instead.

Guindon I don't really know, but he scored 30 goals in the OHL, I suppose that's good ? Honestly the rest of the draft, don't know too much, so I'll wait and see, can't do much more than that.

So yeah, while re-reading myself, should've voted 'Left wanting more', but whatever, I'll wish for the best, as I always do, it's not like we can change anything anyway.

Reactions: bopeep

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Oh well, done and over with. Underwhelming draft for me. Time will tell who pans out.

Reactions: Saxon

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
They made hard but correct decision taking Slaf. I like the pick. I think we dodged a bullet after seeing how Wright handled himself last night.

I'm in wait and see mode on Mesar and Beck.

Hutson is a home run at 62. Love it. Rohrer's also a good pick at 75.

Finally, getting Tourigny in the 7th round is great.

I'm uninformed on Engstrom, Guindon, Davidson, Croteau and Nurmi. Not the most inspiring picks but I'll make an effort to watch some tape.

I'm satisfied.

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
I was disappointed we didn't get Wright.
But I learned that Hughes had the Dach trade in place before the #1 pick was announced. I suspect we would have picked Wright if that trade doesn't happen.

HuGo & scouts probably think the upside is close between Dach and Wright, and Dach is a couple years ahead development-wise. Something we've heard them talk about as valuable in the past.

With a bit of time to reflect, I think it's a decent gamble and I'm excited to see Slaf at dev camp.
I was sold on Wright/Suzuki down the middle. But if Dach pans out, Suzuki/Dach is pretty awesome too.. plus we have Slaf.

Let's see...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I will take the time to watch some videos of these kids to get to see what type of game they play. But looking at their stats, the Habs took a bunch of players who have been productive in their leagues.

- Mesar (played in the men's league in Slovakia): 16 pts (8G, 8A) in 37 GP and had 4 pts (4G, 1A) in 6 playoff games.

- Beck (with OHL shut down last year, this was his "rookie" year): 51 pts (21G, 30A) in 68 GP and 6 pts (1G, 5A) in 10 playoff games.

- Hutson: 63 pts (10G, 53A) in 60 GP in USDP and 32 pts (6G, 26A) in 27 GP in the USHL.

- Rohrer (his "rookie" year in the OHL): 48 pts (25G, 23A) in 64 GP and 4 pts (1G, 3A) in 4 playoff games.

- Engstrom (in J20 league in Sweden): 28 pts (8G, 20A) in 45 GP and 7 pts (2G, 5A) in 6 playoff games.

- Guindon (like Beck, the OHL was shut down last year and this was his "rookie" year): 59 pts (30G, 29A) in 68 GP and 4 pts (1G ,3A) in 7 playoff games

- Davidson (his 4th year in the WHL. He turned 20 yesterday so this was his 19-year old season):
89 pts (42G, 47A) in 64 GP and had 29 pts (13G, 16A) in 25 playoff games.

- Tourigny (split the year between Armada & Titan (with Kidney)): 80 pts (31G, 49A) in 65 GP and had 5 pts (3G, 2A) in 8 playoff games.

So I look at that and think that they took a bunch of guys that produce at their current levels.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I will take the time to watch some videos of these kids to get to see what type of game they play. But looking at their stats, the Habs took a bunch of players who have been productive in their leagues.

- Mesar (played in the men's league in Slovakia): 16 pts (8G, 8A) in 37 GP and had 4 pts (4G, 1A) in 6 playoff games.

- Beck (with OHL shut down last year, this was his "rookie" year): 51 pts (21G, 30A) in 68 GP and 6 pts (1G, 5A) in 10 playoff games.

- Hutson: 63 pts (10G, 53A) in 60 GP in USDP and 32 pts (6G, 26A) in 27 GP in the USHL.

- Rohrer (his "rookie" year in the OHL): 48 pts (25G, 23A) in 64 GP and 4 pts (1G, 3A) in 4 playoff games.

- Engstrom (in J20 league in Sweden): 28 pts (8G, 20A) in 45 GP and 7 pts (2G, 5A) in 6 playoff games.

- Guindon (like Beck, the OHL was shut down last year and this was his "rookie" year): 59 pts (30G, 29A) in 68 GP and 4 pts (1G ,3A) in 7 playoff games

- Davidson (his 4th year in the WHL. He turned 20 yesterday so this was his 19-year old season):
89 pts (42G, 47A) in 64 GP and had 29 pts (13G, 16A) in 25 playoff games.

- Tourigny (split the year between Armada & Titan (with Kidney)): 80 pts (31G, 49A) in 65 GP and had 5 pts (3G, 2A) in 8 playoff games.

So I look at that and think that they took a bunch of guys that produce at their current levels.
And Slafkovsky to finish your last sentence

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And Slafkovsky to finish your sentence

I didn't add Slaf because I think we're all familiar with what he's done. I was mostly focused on the other picks that most would not be familiar with.

One of the main things you heard about almost all of these picks is that they are fast and mobile. Add to that their production and you might have an interesting group of prospects you took in 2022.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Really hoped for firkus.. disappointing but beck seems better than his stats would indicate esp after missing out all of last season

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Really hoped for firkus.. disappointing but beck seems better than his stats would indicate esp after missing out all of last season
He really settled in as the year went on. DBB was getting most of the offensive assignments but Beck started earning his share. He plays the game with NHL habits unlike DBB IMHO.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good grade, not great.

Would've loved to pick Lekkerimaki or Ostlund and add a top G prospect like Leinonen or Brennan, oh well.

The Hutson pick is looking so fkn good though

I don't understand why they wouldn't take a chance on the PG Cougar and go that far off the board

In a few years the Bergevin/Timmins era will seem like the 'good old days.'

I have zero confidence in this management team.

Dach is a freaking bust.

I'll wait and see what they do with Petry, Drouin and Anderson, and see if they can get Dach signed. Wright worried me, Slav could be a player

ohiohabsfan29

Mar 16, 2022
Wright Nazar Firkus Hutson would have looked a lot better to me too so I had to vote "meh", don't care for Slaf or Dach so there was no saving the grade for me after that.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Acquiring pick #13 for Romanov + pick #98 was, pragmatically, great value for him. This being said, I’m still on the fence regarding the cost-benefit of trading picks #13 + #66 for Dach, especially with an already risky 1st overall in Slafkovski and the prospects that were still on the board then (Nazar, Lekkerimäki).

Slafkovski + Dach + Mesar + Beck + Hutson

Or

Wright + Romanov/Nazar/Lekkerimäki + Mesar/RD + Beck/RD + Hutson

The Habs opted for the first build; weaponizing their young LD depth to acquire 2 potential 6’4’’ core pieces (LW1 + C2), a « safe » bet in Beck and swung twice for the fences with high upsides prospects in Mesar and Huston.

It’s a worthwhile gamble, but the need for a potential top-RHD prospect has not been adressed, which means Petry’s likely stays a while after all.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don’t care about random names of players we missed on. 99% or the times they don’t amount to anything anyway.

What I do care about is that the Habs didn’t address the two cornerstone pieces the organization needs: 1C and 1D.

With three first round picks including the 1OA l, I’m genuinely surprised they didn’t draft a potential 1C or 1D. Yeah those mid to late round guys could be long shots and actually make it but odds are they won’t.

Then there is the Dach acquisition that happen at the same time as the DeBrindcat acquisition. One is a sub 30 point player and the other is a 40 goal scorer. We won’t even mention the allegedly bum wrists.

But the Habs organization insisted they were certain about both Dach and Slafkovsky, despite the statistics and odds against both.

That’s the thing with the Geoff Molson era Habs. They’re always the smartest, cleverest people in the room — or so they think.

I dunno. I’m not impressed at the risks they took, particularly with the 1OA. Slafkovsky is a statistical outlier. Would would you gamble with the 1OA? If you get burned, it seems awfully like a waste of an entire god damn year to me.
Beautiful post.:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad