1657306876807.png
1657306894082.png
1657306913903.png
1657306942288.png
1657306958749.png

Reactions: jaffy27

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm very happy with Slafkovsky, Dach deal (big fan of Dach... he have potential to be a solid top 6 C), Mesar is pretty talented, Beck is really solid... 1st round talent, Hutson high talent maybe a futur Krug? Rorher is a good pick at 75 too, good value.

Engstrom and Guindon they intrigue me too.

The rest, i don't know really them, 3 are 20 years old... maybe for Laval, so it's ok. The G have good stats in USHL.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I love the Slafkovsky and Hutson picks. The rest were meh, especially Mesar and Beck. I would have taken Lamoureux or Howard at 26, and Firkus at 33. Also would have taken Nazar or Lekkerimaki at 13 instead of getting Dach. Don’t know anything about any of the other players taken.

Reactions: Habano

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I'd say that's a solid draft. There's always other guys you like that don't get selected but I think the first 5 five picks are really solid. The later picks have more question marks surrounding them but that's almost always the case.

Ultimately, I'm happy they went the speed and skills route (mostly). It might sound obvious but the Sens went ''moar big'' last year and it looks like a terrible draft already. So the strategy on our part seems fine.

Obviously it's really early to judge and we'll have to wait and see but the potential is there IMO.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I'm fine with every pick other than not choosing Wright, but considering my beef is with the #1 overall... it's left me wanting more.

I'm actually happy we have Slaf as he has a lot of upside, but I feel we missed out on a legit #1 two-way centerman. Slaf just doesn't seem like a #1 overall pick to me... he still has a lot to prove in terms of production which is a strange thing for a 1st overall.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I only really care about the 1st and 2nd round.
After that it's really bingo cards

It's wasn't my choice for 1st overall pick.
The 26th was on my list but not the first one it so it's okay.
Lane Hutson saved the day.

Just expected more, expected the Habs to move up, expected maybe get another pick in the 1st round too.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Thought I might lose my mind after the Slaf pick, but then the trade for Dach helped make some sense of it. So I can live with it for now and I'm excited to see what Slaf can do with MTL!

I like the Mesar and Hutson picks, don't mind the Beck and Rohrer picks. I'm intrigued by the Engstrom pick, love me some Swedish defensemen.

Can't really comment on the later picks, but I would say I'm safely in the satisfied to happy group. If we used the 13th pick on Nazar I would be in the very happy group.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Really happy with the draft even through I wanted Wright as 1st OV.

Don't like the trade tho, Romanov was my favorite player with Suzuki and Caufield :(

Dach stats were really bad this year so I don't get why it took an early first round pick to get that trade going.

Reactions: rickthegoon

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...not hiding the fact I wanted Wright and still think he'll be the best player in this draft...that said, I have been a big fan of Dach for years and think he'll be great in Montreal as long as we don't hammer him with the same pressure the Hawks did, placing him in the #1C spot when he clearly wasn't ready to face Top D Pairings yet in his development (hated losing Romanov, but HuGo must think Guhle is ready to take the next step and replace him)...Mesar looks like a very interesting High Upside pick and Hutson could be the next Krug should he put on some muscle, might be one of the steals of the Draft...Slafkovsky is the BIG question mark for me; he could be the next Rantanen or he could be the next Pool Party...

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Really happy with the draft even through I wanted Wright as 1st OV.

Don't like the trade tho, Romanov was my favorite player with Suzuki and Caufield :(

Dach stats were really bad this year so I don't get why it took an early first round pick to get that trade going.
The way I see it there is more that meets the eye with this trade. Romanov was also due for a negotiation and potential high salary increase in a team where Hughes is stuck with the bad cap management of the previous regime. Dach is a reclamation project that can surely be signed to a very low deal. However I do have trust on these guys with regards to players development. I have a feeling we will be very happy with Dach's acquisition.

I also like that they drafted a very good friend of Slaf. It sort of insures he will have a heathy mind next year and we might get something good out of Mesar. All in all, time will tell.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Slafkovsky (B+) --> wanted Wright, but I see the potential in Slaf so can live with it
Romanov trade (A+) --> terrific trade IMO, I like him but he's got limited upside
Dach trade (C) --> iffy on this one...#13 is a high price to pay. Hope they're right on Dach
Mesar (B) --> wanted Lambert/Kulich but ok with this pick, not that exciting though for me
Beck (A) --> wanted Firkus but really like Beck too, speed/pace/playmaking
Hutson (A) --> high high potential, wouldn't have liked him at 33 but he's perfect at #62

Don't know the rest of the players, but would've liked Lindgren instead of Engstrom, and Grudinin somewhere. But they're all prob longshots anyways

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don’t care about random names of players we missed on. 99% or the times they don’t amount to anything anyway.

What I do care about is that the Habs didn’t address the two cornerstone pieces the organization needs: 1C and 1D.

With three first round picks including the 1OA l, I’m genuinely surprised they didn’t draft a potential 1C or 1D. Yeah those mid to late round guys could be long shots and actually make it but odds are they won’t.

Then there is the Dach acquisition that happen at the same time as the DeBrindcat acquisition. One is a sub 30 point player and the other is a 40 goal scorer. We won’t even mention the allegedly bum wrists.

But the Habs organization insisted they were certain about both Dach and Slafkovsky, despite the statistics and odds against both.

That’s the thing with the Geoff Molson era Habs. They’re always the smartest, cleverest people in the room — or so they think.

I dunno. I’m not impressed at the risks they took, particularly with the 1OA. Slafkovsky is a statistical outlier. Would would you gamble with the 1OA? If you get burned, it seems awfully like a waste of an entire god damn year to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad