Your thoughts on Owen Tippett

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
During pre-season it seemed like he found the next gear and was finally going to turn into the legit top-6 forward he was always supposed to be. But once the regular season started it's been Owen Who?

It's time to move on from both him and Vatrano. We don't need depth scorers who don't score. We still need a reliable LHD however, and perhaps a defensive forward who backchecks hard to help break up odd-man rushes.

Reactions: Mase

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
During pre-season it seemed like he found the next gear and was finally going to turn into the legit top-6 forward he was always supposed to be. But once the regular season started it's been Owen Who?

It's time to move on from both him and Vatrano. We don't need depth scorers who don't score. We still need a reliable LHD however, and perhaps a defensive forward who backchecks hard to help break up odd-man rushes.
OT's backchecking is the only thing that actually kept him on the team over the last games

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Imho his play down the stretch here will determine his fate with us. We don't have a lot of picks, and he's still young enough and rep is still enough that he could help land us a big veteran fish at tdl. On 25-30 other teams it would be unthinkable, but our forward depth is just so insane. Right now he is not one of our best top 9 wing options when fully healthy. I'd argue not even top 12 because Lombo and Horn' s roles are too valuable to this team. He has to start finishing, that's the bottom line. And if he can't show that while working his way up the lineup, then he is a flawed player and we should ditch him ASAP.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
On the other hand: Mamin is 26, Hepo 23, Tipp 23. That puts things into perspective as well.

In my opinion not at the moment because the team needs to perform well in next few seasons. There is no need for rebuild. So you don't need younger players who might have potential but don't earn a spot in the lineup right now.
It should be a performance and salary issue. The only advantage that OT has at the moment is his cap hit but he becomes a RFA. The question is whether he is willing to play next season for a small amount of money or whether his trade value is better. Florida needs to release some cap space in summer and then he might be needed in one of those deals. Vatrano and Nutivaara will be gone probably but Yandle's contract is going to be a problem especially because some players like Luostarinen get a raise. That might make trading Hörnqvist a necessary move in summer. Right now Tippett doesn't do anything that would make him more useful than any other winger in the taxi squad but of course he has potential. I am not sure whether it will ever happen in Florida or whether he needs a new start somewhere else like Bennett needed.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Yes and no.
I want to include him as untouchable, and to be honest it's a 50/50 proposition whether or not I would, but if I told you that you'd have to move either Reinhart or Verhaeghe to make the back end better(I know, I know, it depends on the player) you wouldn't?
Verhaeghe is providing crucial elements to our game, he makes team so dangerous in transition and applies a lot of puck pressure. His contract is also more team-friendly. Although Reino has been good and shouldn't be moved unless way more valuable return or necessity with cap issues.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I am with batting. Kid has no confidence right now, and he needs it to perform well. He won't get the necessary minutes here with us due to our exceptional forward depth. It will be hard to hang on to him under the current circumstances, even though he has pretty good tools.

i generally agree tho i don't know that i'd characterize it as such. i would guess he's feeling ok since there's really no pressure on him. he isn't being scapegoated, etc.

the danger is maybe that he's getting too comfortable in a minor supporting role. he's got 4 goals and is scoring at .33 ppg which perhaps isn't awful but he hasn't been getting his shot off.

if he's not leveraging his best asset, the team it seems is throwing away value at an increasing rate.

there is a chance we're not seeing stuff in practice that may have the coaching staff feeling that he's close but at this point, i'm fine flipping him or demoting him to see if he can figure it out in charlotte.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
He had that one nice one on the backhand against Minny, but even that was set up for him on a platter by Ek.
He also dropped the puck in front of the net last night. As if you could even drop a puck that’s already on ice…
Anyways, he doesn’t seem like a liability on the ice, so I’m fine with him sticking around to find his game. But he’s a good candidate to dangle in a trade if his value does hold up. Not for lack of love for him, just could be nice to flip him for a defensive equivalent.

Reactions: patthebat

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Just watched the first period of the DAL game - haven't seen it yet. OT had some very nice plays, 1 great shot that hit the post, 1 point blank chance he missed on and almost tapping a loose puck into an open net - he did not have the angle to get his stick on the puck because he was driving by the net.

If he wasn't creating chances, I'd have a huge problem with him. But he does even though he gets rid of the puck so fast on many occasions and misses too many shots. Plus he hits hard and backchecks well. If this kid started rolling, he'd be a fixture on the team. Confidence is what he needs.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Just watched the first period of the DAL game - haven't seen it yet. OT had some very nice plays, 1 great shot that hit the post, 1 point blank chance he missed on and almost tapping a loose puck into an open net - he did not have the angle to get his stick on the puck because he was driving by the net.

If he wasn't creating chances, I'd have a huge problem with him. But he does even though he gets rid of the puck so fast on many occasions and misses too many shots. Plus he hits hard and backchecks well. If this kid started rolling, he'd be a fixture on the team. Confidence is what he needs.
On that tap-in, if he had realized to not hold onto his stick with both hands, but moved it just to his left (yes, the backhand for him but still), he might have been able to get the angle for the tap-in and a huge goal.

I’m not saying that should be demanded of him, but (ignoring salaries for now) it’s like some of the goals allowed aren’t exactly Bob’s fault but it sure would be nice to get an amazing save.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Bummed his offensive "talents" from juniors hasn't found it's way here but at the very least he isn't just floating on the ice. He seems to hustle hard, and play a 200-ft game. While no one will confuse him with Barkov I at least like the attempt to affect the game while his offense is missing.

If the right trade package came along sure, adios. But, I don't see the need to dump him. He may never have it click offensively(for his draft slot) or he could blossom on a longer protectory

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think he should absolutely be moved for D help if someone wants to take him on as a reclamation project. We have enough forwards.

Reactions: patthebat

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
He has size, youth, and ahl experience. Has 30 points in 85 games thus far in the show. He wasn't rushed. The organization has taken their time with Tip, but it's understandable why fans are getting antsy. If there's a deal to acquire a piece that can help us win the Cup now, by all means, I say go for it. At the same time, I have a feeling Tippett will become a solid scorer somewhere in the NHL. It's honestly a tough one

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Confidence is what he needs.

Confidence won’t do so much I think. It has more to do with not being a very smart player. He clearly has below average hockey IQ and because of thar, he might never reach his potential.

Plus, he’s been known as a « shooter » in juniors but it’s nothing more than average at the NHL level.

Tippett is starting to reminds me Dryden Hunt.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
He's a shooter who isn't very good at shooting, just been a bit disappointing.

If Zito can move him for D help, he shouldn't hesitate to do so.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl

I think he would be our new Vatrano.. if only he worked on his damn shot. The thing that made him stand out in the OHL.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
oX3gwh.jpg

Saw this posted on twitter.

Reactions: harv33173

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
You are talking like Tippett could be the « big piece » of a trade that would get us a 3D. In what world is this happening lol ???
In what world is a 3D worth more than a high pick and a top prospect?
Certainly his value isn’t incredibly high, but it’s not like he’s a bust. After one season of games, he’s a smidgeon away from being a 0.5 ppg player. Low risk high upside value.
I don’t believe I’m overvaluing him so much as I think you’re overvaluing the 3D slot.

Marco 85

Jan 13, 2021
You are talking like Tippett could be the « big piece » of a trade that would get us a 3D. In what world is this happening lol ???

Interesting observation.

Who knows what other teams and GM’s think of him.
We don’t value him but other teams might take a chance on him.

Zito was able to move Matheson. So you never know what a cheap
Tippett plus others could bring.

I would really hate to see Tippett, Vatrano and other forwards
in the press box in the playoffs.
While we need a defensive defenseman badly.
That would be a waste of our excess forwards.

We are in a place of strength now with our forwards.
We should move some of our forwards now.
Not wait until we sustain a defensive injury and
have to pay a higher price for defensive help.

The time to trade for a D man is now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad