Your thoughts on Owen Tippett

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Is he improving enough for him to stick around? Are you satisfied with his play? Or are you on the boat that we should use him as part of a trade package and upgrade?

I myself, like Owen Tippett better than Vatrano but I think we can get more for him than Vatrano. So, I say trade Tippett (who drives me crazy by the way) for some veteran defense. Just my two cents.

Want to hear what you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerrabria

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don’t think Tippett or Vatrano will be around next season. Tippett hasn’t developed like we hoped imo and I can definitely see him used at the TDL if Zito decides to make an upgrade.

Should be traded away at some point imo so he’s not a most asset. Kid has several tools, and I don’t exactly hate his game, just think he needs new scenery.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don’t think Tippett or Vatrano will be around next season. Tippett hasn’t developed like we hoped imo and I can definitely see him used at the TDL if Zito decides to make an upgrade.

Should be traded away at some point imo so he’s not a most asset. Kid has several tools, and I don’t exactly hate his game, just think he needs new scenery.

Vatrano most definitely won't be on the roster come next season.
I think Tippett will eventually become some 60pts winger but it probably won't happen with the Cats. There's no reason for Zito to cling onto Tippett when there's plenty of other wingers and the Cats exactly do not need him to score goals when they are scoring +4 goals per game with relative ease.
Zito could trade him plus something else for Chychrun or another reclamation project like Valimaki + our 2022 2nd round pick.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Trade him while you still can. Or at least put him back in the AHL for a while. Needs confidence playing big minutes and scoring. He should’ve never come up when he did considering he only had like 40 something AHL games. Yeah he put up good numbers but it was too soon.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Trade him while you still can. Or at least put him back in the AHL for a while. Needs confidence playing big minutes and scoring. He should’ve never come up when he did considering he only had like 40 something AHL games. Yeah he put up good numbers but it was too soon.
I am with batting. Kid has no confidence right now, and he needs it to perform well. He won't get the necessary minutes here with us due to our exceptional forward depth. It will be hard to hang on to him under the current circumstances, even though he has pretty good tools.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I don't want to trade him, but I won't mind as long as the return is good.

Last year it felt like he was improving month over month but I haven't really noticed that this year.

Reactions: I am not exposed

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Tippett was never expected to be a guy driving the play, so doubtful the extra year or years in the minors would've done him much. The biggest knock on him before the NHL was effort and playing at both ends of the ice, he's been more than adequate in those areas.

Could he score more? Sure, then again any NHL player probably wishes that.

Is he a young player still going through growing pains and finding his spot in the league? Yup, he's going to turn 23 in about a month. Our now ex coach was also notorious for schooling younger players by punishing them on the tiniest mistakes.

Ya'll looking to use Tippett as a trade chip, be careful what you wish for. On one hand his offensive potential may never break through at the NHL level, however if that does happen, having him on a 2-3 year cheap deal signed before he figures it out would be its worth in gold for a team near the cap ceiling. Both options come with risk, but which is the right choice?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Mamin should put things into perspective imo. He's also a big bodied, offensive winger with a lot of tools. He has shown aggression, the ability to carry the puck, the ability to create plays, and finish. He doesn't always score, but he usually gets a shot off or at least has something to show for the play. Mamin plays very solid defense too.

Tippett, on the other hand, never finishes a play, and he brings nothing defensively. And the fact that he's turning 23 works against him not for him. He's had NHL size for years now, and he came into pros playing a one-dimensional volume shooting and scoring game. Players like him are supposed to be making an impact by now.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I've liked Tippett for a while and do think we should sign him as an RFA... or include him in a deal for blueline help.

Part of Tippett's issues are him just not developing properly. And part of that was Zito going out and getting better, NHL capable top six players. Huberdeau and Barkov were here already. Then Zito brought in Verhaege, Reinhart, Duclair and Bennett.

It's a great problem to have for us, but there just isn't much room in the top six.

Reactions: austropanther

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I've liked Tippett for a while and do think we should sign him as an RFA... or include him in a deal for blueline help.

Part of Tippett's issues are him just not developing properly. And part of that was Zito going out and getting better, NHL capable top six players. Huberdeau and Barkov were here already. Then Zito brought in Verhaege, Reinhart, Duclair and Bennett.

It's a great problem to have for us, but there just isn't much room in the top six.
Tippett was given top 6 time for the first ~15 games of the season. He was taken off the second line because he brought nothing to the table.

Reactions: zeroG

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Tippett was given top 6 time for the first ~15 games of the season. He was taken off the second line because he brought nothing to the table.
Agreed, and we have far better options at this point. I like OT's game last year and in the playoffs, but I can't really defend this year.

I don't think we should lose him for nothing, but won't be overly sad if he's moved.

I've been a Mamin truther since Bobby B was our coach so I am thrilled to see him in our top 6.

Reactions: kerrabria

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Mamin should put things into perspective imo. He's also a big bodied, offensive winger with a lot of tools. He has shown aggression, the ability to carry the puck, the ability to create plays, and finish. He doesn't always score, but he usually gets a shot off or at least has something to show for the play. Mamin plays very solid defense too.

Tippett, on the other hand, never finishes a play, and he brings nothing defensively. And the fact that he's turning 23 works against him not for him. He's had NHL size for years now, and he came into pros playing a one-dimensional volume shooting and scoring game. Players like him are supposed to be making an impact by now.
On the other hand: Mamin is 26, Hepo 23, Tipp 23. That puts things into perspective as well.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Tipp is a good young player, but he needs TOI, and he won't get it here, unfortunately. They tried to force him on the PP last night and he looked lost, and was probably making sawdust with how hard he's gripping his stick. He'll say he's not feeling the pressure, but he is, it's obvious.

As a fan, as far as I'm concerned, if he can be included in a trade to make us better for the short-term, then I'm all for it. I personally think there should be(and probably aren't in Zito's mind) very few assets...either on the current roster, or in the system...that are untouchable when it comes to making this team better:

Forwards:
Barkov
Huby
Bennett
Duclair
Lundell
Reinhart

Defense:
Ekblad
Weegar
Forsling

Goal:
Knight

The rest, including picks, should ALL be in play, IMO.

*edit: forgot Reinhart

Last edited:
Reactions: violaswallet

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Tippett is a top6 player. I don't think we will be happy unless he's playing there...meaning he won't fit bottom 6. He needs to play with someone like hubey as they both have the offense awareness..

love the guy.. just wish he would adjust his game to his line mates more. he seems to play the same style no matter skating set routes.. and falling losing edges too much

Reactions: Mase

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He’s not a detriment and has been solid plays. He’s stripped the puck and they go the other way to score. He just confuses me. He’s so so so passive imo. For a guy who made his name off his shot and scoring ability he literally just passes the nano second he gets the puck. I think he doesn’t trust himself, he’s just a passenger on any line, just passes it along to the closest guy but doesn’t try to make a true impact himself. He has the tools so maybe it can get coached out of him but I don’t feel like getting him there, we’re deep already and unless he’s impacting the game in a particular way then I don’t want him wasting a spot. He almost never shoots and when he does it’s not a high danger opportunity. I expected more from him but it’s odd because he plays in the exact opposite sense I thought he would. Good kid, nothing against him, just a non factor. I hope to flip him for a pick, or if he can garner and actual player then great but I don’t see it right now and we need to restock our picks anyways (my intent would be to flip them at the deadline)

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I look at Tippett’s status as more of a piece we could part with if needed rather than going shopping with him as prime bait.

If a good D is available, and part of the ask was Tippett (or was acceptable to the other side), then I’d have no problems. However, I think Tipp is basically Vatrano with better D-zone play right now and has an upside if he learns to time his shot (release sooner, target better) and win board/goalmouth battles more often.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I personally think there should be(and probably aren't in Zito's mind) very few assets...either on the current roster, or in the system...that are untouchable when it comes to making this team better:

Forwards:
Barkov
Huby
Bennett
Duclair
Lundell
Reinhart

Defense:
Ekblad
Weegar
Forsling

Goal:
Knight

The rest, including picks, should ALL be in play, IMO.

*edit: forgot Reinhart
You forgot Verhaeghe

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
On the other hand: Mamin is 26, Hepo 23, Tipp 23. That puts things into perspective as well.
Mamin also didn't have a fraction of the pedigree Tippet has, he played his whole career on international ice, and he's making 800k at 26. Even if we were willing to wait until Tippett is 26, he certainly won't settle <$1m for the next three years.

I'm not saying Tippett is a bust who will never make it in the NHL. I'm saying that he should be done here in Florida.

Reactions: scholl

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
He’s not a detriment and has been solid plays. He’s stripped the puck and they go the other way to score. He just confuses me. He’s so so so passive imo. For a guy who made his name off his shot and scoring ability he literally just passes the nano second he gets the puck. I think he doesn’t trust himself, he’s just a passenger on any line, just passes it along to the closest guy but doesn’t try to make a true impact himself. He has the tools so maybe it can get coached out of him but I don’t feel like getting him there, we’re deep already and unless he’s impacting the game in a particular way then I don’t want him wasting a spot. He almost never shoots and when he does it’s not a high danger opportunity. I expected more from him but it’s odd because he plays in the exact opposite sense I thought he would. Good kid, nothing against him, just a non factor. I hope to flip him for a pick, or if he can garner and actual player then great but I don’t see it right now and we need to restock our picks anyways (my intent would be to flip them at the deadline)
This is also key. Tippett has not played particularly poorly, and the fact that he is our worst forward speaks volumes to how good we are. He just isn't good enough to justify minutes in an NHL top 9, and he doesn't belong on the fourth line.

Seconding your confusion about his play style. He was supposed to be a pure sniper, and I remember being annoyed with him in that early 2017-18 stint because all he would do is launch pucks at the net. He looks more like a standard forward now. I notice his hitting and skating more than I notice his shot. And the first two aren't particularly dazzling.

Last edited:

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
You forgot Verhaeghe

Yes and no.

I want to include him as untouchable, and to be honest it's a 50/50 proposition whether or not I would, but if I told you that you'd have to move either Reinhart or Verhaeghe to make the back end better(I know, I know, it depends on the player) you wouldn't?

I put both Reinhart and Verhaeghe(Possibly even Duclair, but I think his speed/skill combo are game changing) in the category of "Only Move If It's a Game Changer". Now the definition of "Game Changer" is subjective.

Perhaps I should have left off both Reinhart and Verhaeghe to avoid confusion, but if I have to keep one or the other, I'd keep Reinhart since hecan also play C. I'd hate to move either one, which is why the offer would have to be significant.

Not to derail this thread with trade talk, but we need help on the back end, I don't think anyone who watches this team would disagree, and I think and combination of picks and/or players not on the list I posted should be in play. If you think both Reinhart and Swaggy should also be untouchable, then so be it, I do not, but I think I could be talked out of that.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I like Tippett but he's not taken any steps forward with huge opportunies given.

Maybe he'll pan out or not.

I think he'll be packaged with Hornqvist in the off-season if not dealt during the the season

Reactions: scholl and Mase

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Either he stays or gets replaced internally by Hepo or Denisenko. They share an important quality: cheap.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hepo in the lineup for any of Vatrano, Tippett, or Horny(for rest purposes) next game or two.

I would be curious to see a line of

Hepo Lundell Vatrano/Tippett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad