Your thoughts on Owen Tippett

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
I don’t think that’s it was me. I like the kid, but he hasn’t been effective to be in the lineup. I love Frankie so I don’t understand people that try and blame him for OT’s lack of scoring. OT seems to be off most nights.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Man has hit a ton of posts in his time here. Personally, I don’t think we would be having this conversation if he was cashing in on even half his chances. OT will be a long project. He took a long time even in the minors to start producing. I’d expect h to hit his stride in another season or two.

He definitely brings more to the table than Vatrano IMO, and I think it would be wise to keep him around.

this is a prospect we will have to be patient with, both him and Denisenko

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
+/- is kind of an archaic stat. Was he involved in the play in those all three goals he was on the ice for, or did he just step on the ice?
There’s a heck of a lot of history of ragging on +/- and I figured I’d give my two cents on it. It’s a stat, the way you choose to interpret it is either good or bad. You’re questioning involvement… we have G and A for that. Not every A is a real contribution (and in rare instances, not every G is a real contribution). +/- exists for measure exactly what you’re criticizing it for. How often is the player on the (even strength) ice where the score changes, regardless of direct contribution.
You can infer from +/- indirect contribution over some period of time. It’s certainly not perfect, but it’s a nice way of sensing if some player is dispossessing the opponent, being a threat off the puck, or playing well in their own zone. It won’t give you the specific answer to those measures, since the metric is lossy, which is where it’s easy to criticize.
Take Duclair’s current +/-. For any given +/-, it’s very easy to say “well, he plays with Huberdeau.” That’s definitely part of the truth. But it’s also measuring his relentless forecheck.
Overall, the stat is not super descriptive, and more importantly has a low precision (is +24 really that different from +15?). Over the course of a season though, it’s explicit. I’d contend that any player who can rack up a high +/- over the course of a season is contributing by virtue of competitiveness in the NHL - you don’t last long if you’re not indirectly contributing - thereby a useful stat. thx u 4 listening to my Ted talk.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I thought he was supposed to get sent down to score? He played excellent defense with the big Club.

+/- is kind of an archaic stat. Was he involved in the play in those all three goals he was on the ice for, or did he just step on the ice?

This is kind of like the 'how do we get rid of Bob' thread made last season.
We all know how that played out.

There was one person that believed in Bob. I wonder what happened to him? :sarcasm:
You keep saying Tippett is good on defense, but I really don't know what you're talking about. I don't notice him backchecking, forechecking, or blocking shots. There have been a number of occasions where we were outnumbered in our own zone, got scored on, and then the zoomed-out replay shows Tippett floating in the neutral zone. He certainly finishes his checks, and I was very surprised to see that he has 21 takeaways, but I wouldn't consider his defense to really be an asset of his.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I just looked at the box scores.

He had a secondary assist when Charlotte was up 5-2, and then a primary assist when Charlotte was up 7-2.
The next game he had two primary assists on the power play.

For context, in those two games, Hippo had a goal and three assists, Noel had three goals, and defenseman Connor Carrick had a goal and three assists.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
You keep saying Tippett is good on defense, but I really don't know what you're talking about. I don't notice him backchecking, forechecking, or blocking shots. There have been a number of occasions where we were outnumbered in our own zone, got scored on, and then the zoomed-out replay shows Tippett floating in the neutral zone. He certainly finishes his checks, and I was very surprised to see that he has 21 takeaways, but I wouldn't consider his defense to really be an asset of his.
If you're not really paying attention to the games, then I don't want to waste my time debating with you.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If you're not really paying attention to the games, then I don't want to waste my time debating with you.
I pay very close attention to the games. Tippett is a non-factor.
Brunette must agree with me because since Tippett has brought no offense, if he was actually good at defense, they would have tried him on the PK by now. Huby, Lundell, and Eetu have been mainstays, but Barkov has been rested sometimes, and they've rotated Reinhart, Bennett, and Lomberg for extra duties. Tippett is trusted to take face-offs 5v5, so that shouldn't be an issue on the PK either.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There’s a heck of a lot of history of ragging on +/- and I figured I’d give my two cents on it. It’s a stat, the way you choose to interpret it is either good or bad. You’re questioning involvement… we have G and A for that. Not every A is a real contribution (and in rare instances, not every G is a real contribution). +/- exists for measure exactly what you’re criticizing it for. How often is the player on the (even strength) ice where the score changes, regardless of direct contribution.
You can infer from +/- indirect contribution over some period of time. It’s certainly not perfect, but it’s a nice way of sensing if some player is dispossessing the opponent, being a threat off the puck, or playing well in their own zone. It won’t give you the specific answer to those measures, since the metric is lossy, which is where it’s easy to criticize.
Take Duclair’s current +/-. For any given +/-, it’s very easy to say “well, he plays with Huberdeau.” That’s definitely part of the truth. But it’s also measuring his relentless forecheck.
Overall, the stat is not super descriptive, and more importantly has a low precision (is +24 really that different from +15?). Over the course of a season though, it’s explicit. I’d contend that any player who can rack up a high +/- over the course of a season is contributing by virtue of competitiveness in the NHL - you don’t last long if you’re not indirectly contributing - thereby a useful stat. thx u 4 listening to my Ted talk.
I agree with that which is why I looked up Tipp’s stats from the 2 games in Carolina. Just to get a flavor. Which turned out to be a mixed bag.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I wanted to see if the fancy stats could show me anything that my eyes aren't when it comes to Tippett's defensive play. So I fiddled around with the charts on MoneyPuck. I can post a few when I'm off work if anybody's interested, but short answer: no. Tippett (along with Vatrano and Duclair) is one of our worst forwards when it comes to defense 5v5.

Edit: here they are

Below shows that a guy like Lundell is deployed very defensively, and he contributes to defense. It shows Tippett is very pedestrian overall on defense. Doesn't block a lot of shots, but he isn't on the ice when they are getting shelled either.
blockedshots.png

Below shows that Tippett is on the ice for a very high amount of goals as well as a lot of goals are scored as soon as he leaves the ice. Indicates that he is a liability 5v5 and doesn't backcheck and/or is sloppy on line changes.
endshiftxgoal.png

The two below show that Tippett somehow gets scored on a lot while also getting very favorable zone starts. Would indicate that when he's on the ice, the puck ends up going towards our net, and oftentimes in it.
offensivezonestart.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 5.26.53 PM.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad