Your Thoughts On Fixing The Flames

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ferland should be the call-up if Bollig or Bouma go down, if not him then Wolf

I'd call up Hanowski, Wolf, Poirier (for a very small cup of coffee) and Baertschi before Ferland. The first two especially as they will also no longer be waiver exempt next season and the team needs to get a look at their NHL abilities sooner or later.

How has he become overrated? He's a beast, ask Gabriel Landeskog. He can fight. He's got good hands. And he has a scoring touch (he was our best forward in penticton abd was a ppg player before he got called up. We haven't had a good enforcer since Brandon Prust, and I think Michael is both more skilled and more physical than Brandon.

He's not ready yet. He will be by the start of next season but he shouldn't be a mainstay this year barring a mass load of injuries. Let him spend the rest of the year in Adirondack finding some consistency because he's guaranteed a spot on the team next year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Playoffs were a luxury and not expected.

If we make the playoffs, fantastic. If we don't? That's fine too. We should be happy about the direction of this team and not a team like the Oilers.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The only 'change' that needs to happen is to the bottom pairing.

Yes, the Flames won more when they had youth in the lineup, but a lot of these guys just recently got back from injuries. It may take time for them to get back into it.

Playoffs should not be the final goal of this season. This is still a rebuild, and early into it at that. Focus on letting the youth develop.

It's also worth noting that it's very common for young guys to come up for a few games and impress. It's much more difficult for them to sustain it.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Some line combo's that don't suck, would be a good start too!

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Granlund - Hudler
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Reinhart - Jooris

Sit out or send down Byron, I've seen enough. I wanna see what the top 2 lines can do set up like this. To me, Jooris seems far more effective on the right side. Last, but not least, no more Jones in the top 6. I understand trying to boost his value but he doesn't belong there and it's starting to really show.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd call up Hanowski, Wolf, Poirier (for a very small cup of coffee) and Baertschi before Ferland. The first two especially as they will also no longer be waiver exempt next season and the team needs to get a look at their NHL abilities sooner or later.
All but Poirier on your list will have to go through waivers next season. But I am a fan of calling up for roles, while I like Hanowski (probably more than any other poster here) I think we have seen him enough to know he isn't going to be a physical force. Where as Wolf and Ferland could potentially be, so I would recall them if a role playing winger is injured.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Some line combo's that don't suck, would be a good start too!

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Granlund - Hudler
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Reinhart - Jooris

Sit out or send down Byron, I've seen enough. I wanna see what the top 2 lines can do set up like this. To me, Jooris seems far more effective on the right side. Last, but not least, no more Jones in the top 6. I understand trying to boost his value but he doesn't belong there and it's starting to really show.

I'm not sold on Granlund at center, but I'd be fine with these. However, Jooris should be in the top 9. I agree with you about Byron.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
All but Poirier on your list will have to go through waivers next season. But I am a fan of calling up for roles, while I like Hanowski (probably more than any other poster here) I think we have seen him enough to know he isn't going to be a physical force. Where as Wolf and Ferland could potentially be, so I would recall them if a role playing winger is injured.

I hope we see Hanowski before the season ends. I think a 4th line of Bouma - Jooris - Hanowski could be incredible.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope we see Hanowski before the season ends. I think a 4th line of Bouma - Jooris - Hanowski could be incredible.
Hano & Churros have some chemistry too. buif we were going with a 4th line like that I would call up knight instead and have him centre Jooris and Bouma as he and Jooris have chemistry too plus he is a natural centre and very very good on faceoffs.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not sold on Granlund at center, but I'd be fine with these. However, Jooris should be in the top 9. I agree with you about Byron.

Ideally, I'd switch Jones for Jooris but on the off chance someone is looking for a RW, with some size, I kept him in the top 9....but I agree. I'd also like to get a better look at Wotherspoon.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hano & Churros have some chemistry too. buif we were going with a 4th line like that I would call up knight instead and have him centre Jooris and Bouma as he and Jooris have chemistry too plus he is a natural centre and very very good on faceoffs.

Maybe have Bouma on the 3rd line LW, and go with Jooris - Knight - Hanowski?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I_like_it.jpg

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm not sure why this thread was termed a "fixing." We were supposed to be terrible and we're not. As many have said, we exceeded expectations, but unless you're a dreamer, most people knew that we'd stumble somewhere and we did. Having said that, this team is very much on the right track and staying the course is what we need to do.

Unlike Edmonton, the key is not to rush our prospects and only call the ones up who are ready to play at the NHL level. I like where the team is going overall and while it'd be nice to see us in the play-offs, it won't be the end of the world if we don't. The future here is bright and an 8-game losing streak shouldn't dim that

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's really nice to see that we got 2 consecutive wins to ease the panic and that the sky was falling. This probably won't be the last stretch where we struggle this year either and that's okay as long as we keep moving forward. Hartley is a great coach and a really good influence on our young players and I'm quite confident he's the guy who's going to get this turned around for us in the long run.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's really nice to see that we got 2 consecutive wins to ease the panic and that the sky was falling. This probably won't be the last stretch where we struggle this year either and that's okay as long as we keep moving forward. Hartley is a great coach and a really good influence on our young players and I'm quite confident he's the guy who's going to get this turned around for us in the long run.

If we can win the next two.... that means we'll be 8-7-1 in our last 16.

It's easy to lose the big picture during a losing streak, though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we can win the next two.... that means we'll be 8-7-1 in our last 16.

It's easy to lose the big picture during a losing streak, though.
Also 1 point out of the final playoff spot despite the losing streak.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Vancouver also has 4 games in hand.

The truth is that a stretch of losing did really hurt our chances of making the playoffs. The playoff teams are all currently at least 9 games above .500, and we're only 4 games above. However, everything bad about a losing streak can be undone with a stretch of winning. If we can go 8-9 games over .500 until the end of the season (basically, if we can repeat what we did for the first 30 games or so) then we should be in the playoffs.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Vancouver also has 4 games in hand.

Not to mention that it's pretty arguable that we weren't the better team in the last 2 wins. The next 10 games should be a pretty good indication. We should be able to go .500, I'd be happy with that, if not I don't see much of a chance at playoffs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The truth is that a stretch of losing did really hurt our chances of making the playoffs. The playoff teams are all currently at least 9 games above .500, and we're only 4 games above. However, everything bad about a losing streak can be undone with a stretch of winning. If we can go 8-9 games over .500 until the end of the season (basically, if we can repeat what we did for the first 30 games or so) then we should be in the playoffs.
It definitely hurt our chances, no question. People will point at games in hand but will fail to take notice to the fact that the Canucks are recently struggling too and have a more condensed schedule than us down the road. In fact in February they have 14 games in 28 days with an east coast road trip mixed in. So their games in hand may not be such a blessing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Going on a losing streak like that, it's really, really tough to climb out of it. It doesn't help that there are teams out West that still haven't figured it out and have the possibly to figure it out right quick (I'm looking at the Central).

Calgary's got to make good on this home stretch; the next 10 games are going to be incredibly telling about their chances at a playoff spot. My only fear this entire season (once we started looking like a playoff caliber team) is that we'd play ourselves out of a great draft pick and not make the playoffs. Right now I'd rather be anywhere but where we're currently sitting in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad