Your Thoughts On Fixing The Flames

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Just wondered what your thoughts are on helping fix the Flames.

Just an observation from the games I've watched recently and comparing them to our games 10 games ago. When we were winning it was based on a SPEED first situation where other teams were having trouble keeping up to us. Opposition never had much time to move the puck and our defense was confident joining the rush and pinching because the forwards had the SPEED to cover for them defensively.

In the recent games defensemen are not joining the rush as much because they have been burned as forwards have been unable to back them up as effectively defensively. This has lead to a more dump and chase style in which the flames tend to give away possession of the puck.

My guess is that Stajan, Raymond and Colborne all might have come back from injury too soon as they were under the pressure of seeing success by the young forwards. Perhaps if they would have had a chance to ramp up fitness over the Christmas break instead of coming back soon it may have worked out better for them and the team. That's just an observation though and hindsight is always 20/20.

What I'd like to see after the Christmas break is Granlund given PP time as I think he is a bit more creative offensively than Jooris. (Love the way Jooris has played this year just think Granlund might be a better fit on the PP) Glencross is apparently playing with injuries from what I have heard from Steinberg on the fan 960 and wears 2 knee braces. Perhaps he could be given a bit of time to heal up. I really liked Ferlands forecheck game and physicality and think he is a vast upgrade over Bollig who should be moved for whatever we can get for him at this point. Bollig does not have Ferlands speed needed to finish checks. I could see keeping Stajan as a 4th line center to win faceoffs. I would like to see Culkin and Wotherspoon called up and given a chance to play as our #3 pairing. Both could add to our speed game and really the 3rd pairing has been an issue all season long. Byron looks like he is playing hurt to me and does not have the same speed he had in earlier games and maybe I'm wrong on that case but he might need a bit of a rest as well to heal up, just a guess from what I have watched lately. If that were the case I'd really like to see Poirier given a few games to see where he is in his development. Raymond came back too early and you can see it in his shot as it doesn't have any zip on it and his speed is not where it needs to be for him to be effective. Guess is he came back earlier out of fear of losing his job to the kids.

1. Rest Glencross, Raymond and Byron (if he is indeed playing injured, just speculation in what I have seen lately) and make sure they are healthy and up to pace when they come back into the lineup.
2. Trade Bollig and bring Ferland back up.
3. Keep Stajan for faceoffs which has been an issue this year,
4. Bring up Poirier, Wotherspoon and Culkin.
5. Give Granlund some PP time.

SPEED was what helped us in allowing our D-Pairings to be as adventurous offensively as they were and unfortunately when we don't have it we are ineffective.

So what are your thoughts and how would you fix the Flames?

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Keep going the course and keep accumulating prospects. I had a feeling we wouldn't sustain it, but that isn't a big deal. We are still in a playoff hunt. Back in Septemeber I didn't think we would be where we are now. I would like them to start winning again but still happy regardless. Package players for players that will help in the long term. Also change the bottom pairing, or at least improve it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Recall Michael Ferland, I feel
Like the flames really miss the energy he was providing.

Maybe give Culkin or Wotherspoon a chance on the third pair.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The best thing for the Flames to fix what ails them is actually quite simple and and there are 2 key things.

1. Time
2. Patience

We just need to stick with the plan, make moves that benefit the future and do not rush the prospects.

Trae

Calgary
The best thing for the Flames to fix what ails them is actually quite simple and and there are 2 key things.

1. Time
2. Patience

We just need to stick with the plan, make moves that benefit the future and do not rush the prospects.

Boom, conversation over.

OP makes it sound like Flames were fixed and are now broken again. We have been getting repaired for 2 years, but we still need some more maintenance and time in the shop. We are on the right track.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Boom, conversation over.

OP makes it sound like Flames were fixed and are now broken again. We have been getting repaired for 2 years, but we still need some more maintenance and time in the shop. We are on the right track.
Exactly. I expect only 5 kinds of trades over the next couple years.

1. Moving a pending UFA.
2. Moving a veteran that has been displaced by a youngster.
3. Moving a youngster Treliving doesn't feel is "cooked" enough but thinks could be claimed off waivers.
4. Moving a package of younger players for a better younger player.
5. Picking up a bad contract for assets.

ElectricSky*

1. Fire Hartley
2. Waive Byron
3. Trade Russell
4. Send Jooris down
5. Patience

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Calgary is not "immediately" fixable, as they simply are not that great of a team.

They really weren't as good as they looked early on, as they were mostly outplayed and only won because the puck was going into the net more often than what was long term sustainable.

This is not surprising nor particularly upsetting.

No one really should have expected a playoff spot in the 2nd year of a rebuild that was so long overdue that it should have been expected to take even more years since the Flames had little assets to kick start the rebuild.

I'll echo what many others have stated in simply stating that the Flames need to stay the course, and only making moves with long term benefits.

The Flames aren't a tweaking away from righting the ship.

They aren't as bad as their record would indicate during the losing streak, but they are still, for the year, ahead of where they will likely finish. The dramatic free fall has been hard to take, but it might have been better to have the band aid ripped off so that the Flames would be quickly exposed for what they are…a successful rebuilding team on course for an improved season, instead of a playoff team.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Take Engallend/Diaz off that bottom pair and call Wotherspoon up, call Ferly up and sit Raymond because it looks like he's hurt and then call Porier up and sit Byron for a few games and try to get some chemistry with Monahan.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Take Engallend/Diaz off that bottom pair and call Wotherspoon up, call Ferly up and sit Raymond because it looks like he's hurt and then call Porier up and sit Byron for a few games and try to get some chemistry with Monahan.
Wotherspoon needs more time and Poirier needs even more. Seriously why does everyone have this obsession with rushing prospects to the NHL? No prospect has ever been ruined from developing too much.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The Flames aren't broken, they're actually exceeding expectations for year 2, of a full rebuild.

I don't think we should have extended Hartley.

We got a large enough sample size to realize, at least some of the kids are ready. We should continue to move out expiring veteran contracts, for futures and youth.
It'll take time but this team will find the consistency to be a true contender.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes, let the kids play if they earn it.

Trade the vets that are not going to be around (Glencross, Wideman, Raymond, ...etc) for more picks

Look forward to the draft.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
My first comment is most of the games in this 8 game losing streak have been close, with a little puck luck we would have 3 or 4 more points.

That being said I don't believe we drive the net enough. I wasn't a big proponent of Burke claiming we need more size but this now seems to be a good point, especially on the PP.

I was hoping we would make the playoffs but once LA, Van, Minn and Dallas make up their games in hand we will be behind the eight ball.

So I think this losing streak helps us long term. I know a different sport but I remember reading a MLB GM saying - "don't fall in love with your veterans". Same for us, trade Glencross and a few others like Stajan and Engelland if there's any value there.

Gather some picks and target some young defencemen with size like Alex Petrovic and Zach Trotman.

Another top 10 pick, maybe even top 5. Bennett, Poirier, Klimchuk ready to come in soon. Stay the course.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The only solution is staying the course and patience, as mentioned.

And it's kind of funny how overrated Ferland's become. The guy's definitely going to become a player but he shouldn't even be the first call up if an injury occurs.

I also agree the losing streak helps in some ways. A couple of weeks ago, it was unimaginable for some to trade the likes of Glencross, Smid and Wideman given the Flames' record. Now, not so much.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

And it's kind of funny how overrated Ferland's become. The guy's definitely going to become a player but he shouldn't even be the first call up if an injury occurs.

I also agree the losing streak helps in some ways. A couple of weeks ago, it was unimaginable for some to trade the likes of Glencross, Smid and Wideman given the Flames' record. Now, not so much.
Ferland should be the call-up if Bollig or Bouma go down, if not him then Wolf

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

How has he become overrated? He's a beast, ask Gabriel Landeskog. He can fight. He's got good hands. And he has a scoring touch (he was our best forward in penticton abd was a ppg player before he got called up. We haven't had a good enforcer since Brandon Prust, and I think Michael is both more skilled and more physical than Brandon.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
How has he become overrated? He's a beast, ask Gabriel Landeskog. He can fight. He's got good hands. And he has a scoring touch (he was our best forward in penticton abd was a ppg player before he got called up. We haven't had a good enforcer since Brandon Prust, and I think Michael is both more skilled and more physical than Brandon.

He is an exciting young player but some fans talk about him like he has top 6 potential. I think that where the overrated comes from. Basically, he's a tougher, more skilled version of Bouma, which is very exciting to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad