Your Thoughts at the Halfway Mark

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Was gonna post in the season discussion thread but figured in its own threat it'd get a more robust discussion going. This is actually going to be pretty brief because I'd rather just get the conversation started. So only a couple quick observations.

We're at the halfway mark and the Blues are 29-7-5, or .768. Anaheim's got a .756 with two extra games played. Chicago is .750 with three extra games played. We don't make up those games on Chicago until the very end of the schedule. We'll go into April with two games in hand.

Some topics:

Schwartz looks like he's going to be an impact star.

The trio of 27-19-22 have 86 points at the halfway mark. All are on pace for at least 54 points.

Steen-Backes-Oshie line to start the season.

Where does Berglund fit? Quotes from JR tonight suggest Hitch was thrilled with what he saw using Berglund that way. Are we looking at Berglund to LW? Backes, Sobotka, Roy, Lapierre are all at center.

Plenty of other season topics to get into, like Archer, which resumes in 9 days.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Was gonna post in the season discussion thread but figured in its own threat it'd get a more robust discussion going. This is actually going to be pretty brief because I'd rather just get the conversation started. So only a couple quick observations.

We're at the halfway mark and the Blues are 29-7-5, or .768. Anaheim's got a .756 with two extra games played. Chicago is .750 with three extra games played. We don't make up those games on Chicago until the very end of the schedule. We'll go into April with two games in hand.

Some topics:

Schwartz looks like he's going to be an impact star.

The trio of 27-19-22 have 86 points at the halfway mark. All are on pace for at least 54 points.

Steen-Backes-Oshie line to start the season.

Where does Berglund fit? Quotes from JR tonight suggest Hitch was thrilled with what he saw using Berglund that way. Are we looking at Berglund to LW? Backes, Sobotka, Roy, Lapierre are all at center.

Plenty of other season topics to get into, like Archer, which resumes in 9 days.

We are a very very good hockey team. Pure talent wise, it's the best team we've ever iced imo.

Schwartz is amazing. We used to say his comparison was Parise, but I think he could be better then him if the chips fall right.

Our scoring defensemen are all very good at their jobs. The Bouwmeester trade is one of hte better ones I can ever remember the Blues making. The Steen one looks horrible in hindsight, but Bouwmeester was an established top 2 defensemen that seems to have flourished here into what is really a 1 that's playing as a 2.

I say stick with Berglund at LW. I am firmly on the "we shouldn't give up on him unless it's a trade for a big upgrade" camp. He's a smart player who I think is a hard worker even though others disagree with me. Maybe moving to wing is the thing that clicks his game into being a long term top 6 forward.

Good god our forwards going forward... Magnus is gonna find himself outside our top 12 if we get healthy while doing absolutely nothing at all to deserve it. He's clearly a capable 3rd line forward now to me. And But he is going to be our 13th. Assuming Bergie stays at LW, our forward core becomes the best overall in hockey. We already have the best defense in hockey.

Which leads me to this. TRADE FOR RYAN MILLER. I love Brian Elliot. I want to see him stay because he's done nothing at all to warrant getting sent out. Jake Allen is our future. But right now, I feel like, reguardless of our goalie, we are the best team in hockey. We should NOT rest on that. If we get Ryan Miller, this team SHOULD win the Stanley Cup. They shouldn't be "a legitimate contender" or some hogwash: They out right should win the entire thing. Rental or not, if he's a rental that wins us the cup, do it.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues having had all those injuries was the best thing that could have happened to them. They found out how to play as a team, how to play all out to win when undermanned, and thus, they found out how to win. With luck they'll not forget those lessons, and they'll be able to come back from deficits, and go into every game with confidence, but not cockiness, knowing that they always have to put the extra effort in to compete on a high level.

Schwartz is for real. He will be a star. Tarasenko has made great progress. He will get better and better over the next 2 years. Elliott also rose to the occasion, as did the skaters. We see that he can be an adequate starter for an extremely strong defensive and offensive team. I don't think any move will be made to get another goalie, nor a scoring centre. I think that those moves will be made after the playoffs.

This team playing at their best can beat any other NHL team in a 7 game series. Schwartz, Tarasenko, Cole, Sobotka, MPS, will all only get better as the season moves on. The forward lines will get better with increased experience together, yet hitch's mixing them will also help them all be interchangeable parts, if injuries force changes.

This season is looking great at this point. We know that Polak will be back (good as new) in a few weeks. The only question is how long it will take for Steen to return, and if he can stay healthy from that point onward.

illninofan*

Which leads me to this. TRADE FOR RYAN MILLER. I love Brian Elliot. I want to see him stay because he's done nothing at all to warrant getting sent out. Jake Allen is our future. But right now, I feel like, reguardless of our goalie, we are the best team in hockey. We should NOT rest on that. If we get Ryan Miller, this team SHOULD win the Stanley Cup. They shouldn't be "a legitimate contender" or some hogwash: They out right should win the entire thing. Rental or not, if he's a rental that wins us the cup, do it.

This.

Miller or nothing at all at the dealine. I'm confident with this forward group going into the playoffs, but only under that condition.

With our defense and forward group, if this team gets Ryan Miller, we'll be mighty hard to beat in the playoffs.

Not only that, the future of this team is looking really, really good. Jaskin and Rattie waiting in the wings, Schwartz and Tarasenko budding into impact players, and Backes, Oshie, Sobotka, Steen all rounding out into the players we expected them to be. Berglund, as usual, remains an enigma. Some nights he looks dominant, others, not so much. Which Patrik Berglund are we going to get the rest of the way?

Being a Blues fan, I've seen all the regular season success before, so my thought at the halfway point is in the form of a question:

Can we get it done in the playoffs and bring home our first stanley cup?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
My first thought is, it's just that, 41 games down with 41 more to go, and a lot can happen. But you have to like what this team has done up till now, I still feel they need that top six center to make this team a true playoff contender, I would love to be dead wrong if they don't.

Playoff series aren't won in January, and this year there's the Olympics and half the roster could be in Russia, I really don't know if this will effect them, but it could either way. That second or third week back should give us a pretty good idea, because if they have a little let down it could cost them home ice in the later rounds.

I think just because things look rosy at the halfway mark doesn't change what they have to do in the playoffs. With the new seating, they'll most likely have to get by The Hawks, will they have their team defense cleaned up by then, and if they do, can The Blues handle their skill and speed, then they have to deal with the west, and for me that really isn't a concern until they get there.

But the first half, how could you complain about the best winning percentage...and the overall development of all the young players...

Last edited:

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
We are second (2nd) [SeCond!] in the league for goals per game. Last year, we weren't even in the top half. Actually, when was the last year we were in the top half of the league for scoring???

Also, were are fourth in goals allowed per game, which is better than last year as well.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
We are second (2nd) [SeCond!] in the league for goals per game. Last year, we weren't even in the top half. Actually, when was the last year we were in the top half of the league for scoring???

Also, were are fourth in goals allowed per game, which is better than last year as well.

They were top ten in scoring the year they made the trade for Shatty. The talent is there, just needed the boost from guys like Schwartz, Tarasenko, Bouwmeester, and Sobotka's development.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
They were top ten in scoring the year they made the trade for Shatty. The talent is there, just needed the boost from guys like Schwartz, Tarasenko, Bouwmeester, and Sobotka's development.

aha, thanks, i see we were tenth that year. Anyway, this is a very exciting team to watch considering we have been in the bottom half of the league in scoring since before the lockout (besides the year we traded for shatty, when we were 10th in scoring)

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
How could you not be more than excited after the start this team has had? And while I'd be thrilled if we somehow could get Miller here, I think with this record, and the way the guys have played, I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if no moves at all where made and we went into the playoffs with Halak/Elliott as our goalies.

Another thing, though. What to do with Ian Cole? Remember, Polak will be back soon and will be inserted automatically. And what combos will Hitch go with when Steen is back? I'd imagine Paajarvi would sit (unless there's other injuries of course), and that's a damned shame since I really think he's been playing great for us lately.

Anyway, I love this team. Great management, great coach, awesome players. Lets go Blues!

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Ok, I'm old school, very nice start in what is a meaningless and drawn out regular season. Let's just say I hope they are playing as well 3 months from now as they are playing right now in what is the real NHL season, the playoffs. And a return of Steen is essential, and a trade or 2 to make a serious run at the Cup.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
How could you not be more than excited after the start this team has had? And while I'd be thrilled if we somehow could get Miller here, I think with this record, and the way the guys have played, I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if no moves at all where made and we went into the playoffs with Halak/Elliott as our goalies.

Another thing, though. What to do with Ian Cole? Remember, Polak will be back soon and will be inserted automatically. And what combos will Hitch go with when Steen is back? I'd imagine Paajarvi would sit (unless there's other injuries of course), and that's a damned shame since I really think he's been playing great for us lately.

Anyway, I love this team. Great management, great coach, awesome players. Lets go Blues!

Usually there is at least one forward and one defenceman that is either nursing a minor injury, or under the weather (slightly ill) or tired and needing rest at almost all times. IF The Blues are lucky enough that they only need to rest their older veterans, the bottom 4-5 forwards and bottom 3 defencemen will be rotated with the older veterans to keep everyone fresh.

Jackman and Leopold will need rest during the stretch run, Morrow will as well. Even the young stars will be rested in a few key games when the schedule gets very heavy. I can't see Cole sitting out a bunch of consecutive games, nor Paajarvi. Even Berglund and Stewart will sit out a game here and there.

The Blues will have the most rested, deepest squad going into the playoffs. If anyone gets hurt near or during the playoffs, The Blues will have the best flexible/versatile lineup to withstand forward line and defensive pairing changes. That is why I think that they have as good a chance to win The Stanley Cup as Chicago, despite The Blackhawks having more "starpower" at the top of their lineup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My thoughts are I can honestly see this team winning the Cup. This is probably the best team we've ever had. I think we can take out Chicago, and the California teams will likely beat each other up until we have to face one in the WCF. But in a playoff series I think we can take anyone. This team has a hunger I haven't seen from them in years past. They know how to score and they know what it takes to win, finally. Hitchcock has gotten his message across to every player, IMO. You can see it out there by how hard we play.

I'm now at the point where I think maybe we should just leave our offense alone...their chemistry is awesome.

I think a Miller trade could be beneficial, but depends on the cost.

Also, we are so lucky to have Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, and Shattenkirk. Want to give a shout out to the latter... He has 31 points already. That's pretty amazing for a d-man. Him and Jackman look great out there.

This team just has so many bright spots, it's awesome.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I have to echo what everyone else has said. Despite being a Blues fan, I can't get it out of my head that this might be the year. There's something about this team that we've seen, the comeback against Chicago, the calm control last night against Columbus, and the character in those wins with all of our injuries, that just wouldn't happen before this year. Really exciting to think about.

That said, put me in the camp that says if Miller is reasonable, do it. At this point, I think our first is worth it.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Almost everyone has played great. This is about as good as well could have hoped for at this point in the season, and our goalscoring record is unbelievable. Schwartz is looking like he's going to become a star, Tarasenko is becoming a much better overall player and we're seeing guys like Sobotka step up into increased roles. Lapierre and Morrow were great pick ups, Roy has started to find his role and even Colaiacovo has been great.

Miller? I have no problem with going after him as long as there is a realistic chance that we extend him. I have no interest in moving our first round pick for a pure rental. Nobody should have any problems moving our first rounder for someone who is seen as a solution beyond this season.

I really hope we see Berglund on the wing for at least the next 30 games, it is something I've been wanting for quite a while now. I don't believe that his long term future will be there, but he might learn to quicken his game (despite his lack of speed he still plays slower than he should) and to use his shot more. He might end up sticking, but I think we'd hope he transitions back to centre as a better player. Centre depth is important, and if he was able to stick on the LW then I think that would be a big deal for us going forward.

Too early to be thinking about Cup chances, too much is made of small sample sizes against some of the teams we've played. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I wouldn't fear anyone with the way we are playing.

SkyBlue

2/16 * 3
May 27, 2006
I've followed the Blues for thirty years now, and based on this half season I'd say this is the best team we've ever had -- great balance and depth offensively and defensively, great mix of youth and experience, great match between coach and talent, smart management behind it all. We even have longer term assets in place and no bad contracts handicapping future years. All in all a very, very sweet situation for the Blues to be in. If this isn't the year -- I don't mean to be pessimistic for this year so much as observing you can never be sure, that's why they have to play the games -- then one of the next several years should be when the Blues go all the way. The pieces are all in place anyway.

I may be out of line as a mostly lurker on this board but I think you guys are generally too hard on our goalies -- they're doing fine and have been for some time. The let down last post season was almost entirely on the team's lack of scoring and *that* was the question mark I think we all had for the team before this season. They have answered that one question this half season. If Army can make a trade that improves the team without mortgaging too much future then of course he should (and would) do so but honestly I'm fine playing the hand we already hold this year.

I think we are witnessing something special here and plan to enjoy the rest of the season and next several years. Great time to be a Blues fan.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
With good goaltending (not even great), the Blues can win the cup if healthy.

With Halak in goal = 30% chance of winning the cup
With Elliott in goal = 50% chance of winning the cup
With Miller in goal = 75% chance of winning the cup

This Blues team is loaded and well coached

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Last night during the Columbus game I wasn't even worried in the slightest bit that we were gonna lose that game, I think that says a lot about the team when even down 2-0 you just know these guys are gonna come out next period hungry. This is such a special team to watch, I hope to god we can bring a cup back to STL.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
With good goaltending (not even great), the Blues can win the cup if healthy.

With Halak in goal = 30% chance of winning the cup
With Elliott in goal = 50% chance of winning the cup
With Miller in goal = 75% chance of winning the cup

This Blues team is loaded and well coached

This made me laugh, where did you get these numbers...I'll leave the punchline for all your imaginations.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The Edmonton pick from the Perron trade looks to be top 5, safely. Probably 2 or 3, and possibly 1. Doesn't look too far from the perfect world scenario, where it might be something close to back to back picks.

Does anyone take a look at that and have it nudge them a little more towards giving up a pick for what could amount to a Miller rental? It does probably take it from a lean against to lean for as far as I am concerned. It would effectively have turned the Perron deal into more of a win now trade, with a long term asset added.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Edmonton pick from the Perron trade looks to be top 5, safely. Probably 2 or 3, and possibly 1. Doesn't look too far from the perfect world scenario, where it might be something close to back to back picks.

Does anyone take a look at that and have it nudge them a little more towards giving up a pick for what could amount to a Miller rental? It does probably take it from a lean against to lean for as far as I am concerned. It would effectively have turned the Perron deal into more of a win now trade, with a long term asset added.

I'm sensing this will happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad