dcinroc

Jun 24, 2008
Taipei, Taiwan
As a Wings fan, here is my list:

- The Vladimir Konstantinov accident.
- Adam Oates for Bernie Federko
- Most of the 70's and early 80's.
- Swept by the Devils in the '95 SCF
- Losing to San Jose in the 1st Round in '94. Damn you Jamie Baker!

I'd measure that from the departure of Marcel Dionne to the arrival of Steve Yzerman.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
z140479708.jpg

His foot was in the crease! But he had possession of the puck, so it was a good goal.

Fixed.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
The Bruins have more than their share, but one that sticks out for me personally is Glen Wesley missing the entire empty net, in overtime, in the 1990 Stanley Cup finals.
I will agree with the first part, but to me, 1977 - Too many men on the ice was the lowest.

In my lifetime it was Neely announcing his retirement.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
There are a few key days—followed by lots of small disasters for the New York Islanders. But here are the biggest three...

#3--The day the New York Islanders sent Bryan McCabe and Todd Bertuzzi to the Canucks for Trevor Linden.

Nothing against Linden, he is a heart and soul guy, and a great player, but we gave up two future all-stars for a player who was only going to be here for a few months.

#2--Trading Olli Jokenin and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha—followed by trading Kevin Weeks to the Lightning (I dont recall what we got in return).

This was the disaster of disasters. With these trades, we were left with no goalie—and with the miracle gift of winning the lottery, and having the first overall pick in the 2000 draft, we passed on Dany Heatley, passed on Marion Gaborik and drafted Rick DiPietro with the pick.

DiPietro is a solid goalie—when he is healthy. Sure—he is top 10 material. But he also makes many errors—he wanders, overhandles the puck, and costs us at least one goal a night. This is when he is actually playing. With his injury issues, I now wonder if he is NHL material on a long term basis at all. His contract is bad as well, however, he could always be baught out (its not my money) or if he is forced out due to injury, insurance should cover the salary contract, and I don't think it would be a cap hit.

What makes this even worse is that Luongo is arguably the best goalie in the game—something we already knew he had the potential to be when he was drafted 4th overall by Milbury a few years earlier, and Jokenin has become one of the game top centers and draws. In Return we had Parrish—who produced reasonable numbers, but never made the players around him better, and Kvasha, who was a complete bust. The players who were passed over—Heatley and Gaborik, are superstars in every sense of the word.

And...the #1 worst day in New York Islanders franchise history...

The hiring of Mike Milbury as coach, and eventually a few months later as GM.

The two trades mentioned above are bad—both engineered by someone who knows very little about hockey and hockey players. Both of these moves would never have happened with a different GM. And these moves are just the tip of the sword.

Honorable mention to...

Chara and the 2nd overall (Spezza) pick to Ott. for Yashin
Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt to Buffalo for Mike Peca
(at least Peca was great for us, until he was traded away for Mike York)

All of this has led to the mediorce situation on Long Island. I actually think Snow has been okay. He rebuilt the farm system at the last draft, adding some good potential, and should be able to add a substantial asset or two at this next draft. But it is going to take at leas 3 more seasons for the team to be taken seriously, and that is only if they stick with their plan to build through the draft.

Right now, Okposo looks good though he is hurt, and having a bit of a slow start. Frans Neilsen—also hurt—looks like he can slot in as a vry capable 3rd line—maybe 2nd line center. And despite the boo's on draft day, Josh Bailey looks very good for a 19 year old...certainly not out of place playing in the NHL.

But all of the damage of Mike Milbury put the Islanders in this state. so...my vote—the day he was hired!!!

Mousepad*

On December 2, 1995, Roy was in net against the Detroit Red Wings during Montreal's worst home game in franchise history, an 11-1 loss. Roy allowed nine goals on 26 shots, and the crowd jeered him whenever he made an easy save. In response, Roy raised his arms in mock celebration. When coach Mario Tremblay finally pulled Roy in the middle of the second period, Roy stormed past him and told team president Ronald Corey "It's my last game in Montreal."

Roy later told the media that despite allowing five goals on 17 shots in the first, Tremblay kept him in net in order to humiliate him. He also said that he would not have demanded a trade if Tremblay had kept him on the bench in the second period. Roy and Tremblay reportedly had a lengthy, strained relationship; during his sports radio career, Tremblay often criticized Roy, and when they played together, they would argue during practice.

roylastgame.jpg

Sorry my pic is blurry. And I included some Wiki text might be useless for most habs fan but younger hockeys fans might not know about the picture, especially since it is very blurry.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Losing game seven of the Stanley Cup finals to the Devils is easily the worst moment, but it is closely followed by the way that Kariya left the organization for 9 million less than what he was making previously.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
At least for me, the two worst moments were the days that Messier left for Vancouver and the day the Rangers traded Brian Leetch...it's just so hard to explain what was going through my mind those two days.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
As a Habs fan born a year after the last dynasty ended there are many. Here's a partial list:

- Losing the 1989 Stanley Cup on home ice. It's the first and only time that's happened. It's also one of my earliest hockey memories.

- Losing to the Bruins in the playoffs every year during the early 90s. I was still young then, but I knew enough to hate the Bruins. I still do.

- The hiring of Rejean Houle and Mario Trembly

- The Roy trade.

- Trent McLeary nearly dying after taking a shot to the throat

- Koivu gets cancer

- Koivu nearly loses his eye

- Blowing a 5-3 lead against the Leafs in the final game of the 2006 season and missing the playoffs as a result. I watched that game with 20 Leaf fans.

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
Morrow's goal after watching 3+ periods of OT hockey and watching the Sharks battle back from down 3-0 in the series was heartbreaking. My girlfriend didn't understand why I was so upset and when I saw another friend of mine (huge Sharks fan) later that night we just stared blankly at each other.

Was 3rd row right behind the goal for that game.....was F'ing AWESOME!!! Will forever be remembered as one of my favorite Stars moments!:yo:

And if you still feel bad about it just think of your season this year and our season this year, all sadness should melt away in a heartbeat.

As for the topic I'm going to have to go with the here and now, the Stars as an organization have always been very classy so being associated with the middle school comments (from Avery as well as the annonymous ones later) kind of makes me :facepalm:

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
Game 3 of the 2002 Finals against Detroit. It was a marathon game that went 3 or 4 OTs, and Igor Larionov eventually scored to give Detroit a 2-1 series lead. I knew the Detroit would win the series and the Cup the moment that goal was scored.

Of course, Steve Chiasson's death in 1999 was just as devastating to the franchise

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Bruno's OT goal in game 7. Choked the series. The end of Roy and IMO the end of Avs' elite era because despite of our offensive talents, Abby was no stanley cup goalie.

chaosof99*

Lets see. From a Flyers point of view:
1997 SCF- Getting swept by Detroit
04 ECF- Game 7 vs. Lightning
The entire 06-07 season
Losing Lindros with such bad terms
Trading away Handzus, Johnsson, and Primeau retiring
This past ECF vs. the Pens
9-1 loss vs. Sabres a few years back
Being shutout 8-0 by the Sabres in the playoffs with Cechmanek and Boucher in net
Tertyshnys death

Thats what I remember in my 19 years as a fan.

This is a "good" list (well, such a list can hardly be called good) but even if it was not while you were watching the team, shame on you!

Rest in peace, Pelle.

The 1987 Stanley Cup Finals game 7 also deserves a mention.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Gotta think David Volek takes the cake....

That ended what would have been the last dynasty since the 80s Oilers.

But still I would put Michel Briere over that rather easily. Imagine if Eric Staal had died after his rookie season, that's about the type of impact that Briere's death had on the Penguins franchise.

LeafzFan*

Yesterday the Leafs losing 8-2 to the worst team in the league, Dallas Stars.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
The ones that are most recent for the Rangers for me are:

When they traded Brian Leetch on his birtday

Game 5 agaisnt Buffalo in 2007 when they let Drury tie it with 7.7secs left and then lost in overtime

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
This is what THN chose for every team in 2003. These include events in their previous home cities as well. However, the relocations are not chosen here. While people in Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford were definately disappointed when teams left, people in Phoenix, Denver and Raleigh think other way around.

Ana: Ron Wilson being fired
Atl: 16-game winless streal in their debut season
Bos: Bobby Orr leaving
Buf: The goal in 1999 SC Finals
Cgy: 10-player trade with Toronto
Car: 1982-83 season
Chi: Bobby Hull leaving
Col: The brawl game in Detroit in 1997
CBJ: Death of fan in 2002
Dal: 1977-78 season
Det: 1985-86 season
Edm: Gretzky trade
Fla: Vanbiesbrouck being booed in 1998 against Chicago
LA: Bruce McNall's troubles
Min: CF series against Anaheim in 2003 (only one goal scored)
Mtl: Events leading to Roy trade
Nsh: Karalahti/Ronning trade
NJ: Donut incident
NYI: John Spano's ownership
NYR: 1999-2000 season
Ott: Owner admitting that they delibaretly lost final game of 1992-93 to get #1 pick
Phi: Losing 1971-72 playoff spot four seconds before end of final game
Phx: 30-game winless streak in 1980-81
Pit: 1982-83 season
StL: Nolan's center ice goal in 2000
SJ: 1992-93 season
TB: 1997-98 season
Tor: 1984-85 season
Van: 1997-98 season
Wsh: 1974-75 season

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions