Speculation: your team's needs this offseason

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
my apologies to @Hunter368 for bumping an old thread previously. hard to keep track of some of the rules at times.

so what does your team need this offseason?

bruins:
-move out a bunch of players to get cap compliant (maybe: reilly, forbort, grzelcyk, hall, a goalie, etc)
-waiting on bergeron/krejci decisions (need top 9 center if they both are gone)
-trade for/draft/develop young top 6 center options
-scoring winger
-right shot defenseman
-gritty dude in the bottom 6

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:nashville
It has been going on "forever" in Nashville that we need a #1C. I don't think this is "achievable" in any practical sense this off-season. Dubois, Kuznetsov... I don't believe any solution is actually out there. It should just get pushed forward to another year.

We have room to add a winger (LW or RW, doesn't matter) or a D. This is not a "need". We do have bodies to fill the spots. But we have Cap space and roster flexibility also. I think a team should generally fill such spots when possible, since it's just "free wallets" if you take decent players and can then flip them later, worst case. We did this last year with Niederreiter. But it's a new management regime, who knows really what Trotz will prioritize. My main targets are taking on a Vancouver Cap dump on wing (Boeser or Garland) plus a D like Mayfield. I'm sure Trotz will do something totally off the board from what I'm thinking. :dunno:

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sens

- A new coach with an actual system, specifically someone that can coach inside the D Zone
- Goaltender. It’s been forever or never since we have had a solid true #1 goalie. Critical need this offseason
- Figure out the Debrincat situation.
- Fill out the bottom 6 with cheaper options
- One bottom pair D that’s maybe capable of moving into the top 4 when needed for injuries

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs

- Stay the course, draft best player available at 5OA (Mitchkov/Smith ideally)
- Stay the course, do not give anything of value for PLD. Stay far away.
- Draft RHD with 31st pick. Use 2nd/3rd/4ths to trade up if required
- Continue to develop young players (Slaf / Dach / Guhle / Barron / Xhekaj)
- Give Farrell and J Roy a drink of water before letting them marinate in the AHL
- Evaluate Montembault as the #1 this season with Jake Allen as backup
- Don't invest in any UFAs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It has been going on "forever" in Nashville that we need a #1C. I don't think this is "achievable" in any practical sense this off-season. Dubois, Kuznetsov... I don't believe any solution is actually out there. It should just get pushed forward to another year.
didn't watch a lot of preds down the stretch. what did you think of novak and glass? they look like good middle 6 centers from an
outside lens.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers:

Smaller tweaks as opposed to huge moves.
Looking to add a RW and a RD that would be upgrades on Yamamoto and Ceci respectively.
Create some cap space (Yamamoto, Ceci, Foegele, Kulak all possible)
Re-sign their RFA's (Bouchard, McLeod, Kostin)
Promote Holloway fulltime
Explore goalie options but unless something they can't pass up becomes available don't go crazy in trying to offload Campbell, give him a chance to redeem himself a bit next year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
didn't watch a lot of preds down the stretch. what did you think of novak and glass? they look like good middle 6 centers from an
outside lens.
Yes, I would personally start the season with a "top 9" forward approach, featuring our best "duos" from the past season on 3 scoring lines. Forsberg and Parssinen clicked, Glass and Duchene seemed to click, and Novak with Evangelista were dynamite. Ultimately I think Parssinen is the best of them. But it's a small early sample so who knows. I don't believe the Preds have high aspirations for the coming season, so I don't see any harm in just running those 3 guys out again at C and finding out what we've got.

Glass to me is a little soft to be an ideal top center, Novak is a bit iffy in his own zone and not very strong. But they finished well, so who knows. I would take another look before paying through my nose to upgrade.

Trotz does seem to keep harping on the Center position in every off-season interview, however, so I doubt he's on the same page as me. FWIW. :dunno:

Reactions: neelynugs

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Getting rid of dead Woods, like Duffman and Drew

If they want to start to climb the standing like the rumors say, we will need one quality top 3 dmen

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, it was to shore up the blueline, but Jarmo Kekalainen doesn't let the grass grow under his feet.

We could use another solid top-6 C to assist Jenner with shielding the kids (he's getting egregiously overworked and needs the occasional breather). The "play the right way" type, not the Empty Calories type. Sadly, those are generally in demand by most teams, so the odds aren't in our favor, but it could still happen.

Reactions: andora

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
DEVILS NEEDS:

3rd line winger
3rd pairing D (notably RD if possible)
3rd goalie (Nico Daws having hip surgery is no bueno)

thats....really it past signing their own RFAs and a few UFAs maybe.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
We have room to add a winger (LW or RW, doesn't matter) or a D. This is not a "need". We do have bodies to fill the spots. But we have Cap space and roster flexibility also. I think a team should generally fill such spots when possible, since it's just "free wallets" if you take decent players and can then flip them later, worst case. We did this last year with Niederreiter. But it's a new management regime, who knows really what Trotz will prioritize. My main targets are taking on a Vancouver Cap dump on wing (Boeser or Garland) plus a D like Mayfield. I'm sure Trotz will do something totally off the board from what I'm thinking. :dunno:
How about a swap of Garland for one of Fabbro/ Foote's rights/ Lauzon? If you want Boeser we want Sissons included + one of the D-men mentioned above.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Penguins

2 LW
New 3rd line but more specifically a solid 3C
Just a different goalie Tandem. It might just end up being Jarry but if it is we can't keep DeSmith. Somethings gotta change.
Top 4 LD (willing to trade POJ but if we are going for it we can't have POJ and TySmith though Smith could be RD but than Petry or Rutta gotta go for a top 4 LD.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
For Detroit:

Shooter first, questions later
RHD
backup goalie

Red wings would be such a more better team if we had a guy that just loves to shoot and can score. Debrincat/meier/keller/connor are all targets I would be going for in that instance. We need someone who is almost a guarantee of 35+ goals because we have plenty of players that can get the pass to them.

Gaping wide open whole on RHD side. Gudas is moreso my goto, however, others on the red wings board are saying Mayfield or now Pesce with those rumors. Schenn was in the discussion but haven't heard his name in awhile around there.

We need a capable backup that can do low damage for about 20-25 games. Antti Raanta would be my choice, as far as being able to come for cheaper than most. I think Yzerman is content with riding with Husso until Cossa is ready to get in the NHL. Husso is a pretty good goalie, we just didn't have the team in front of him after the trade deadline to save him. Not to mention he was apparently injured for over half the games after the deadline. That doesn't help.

As far as wants go:
One shoot first for line one and another guy that can put up 25-30 goals

Honestly, that is about it from my POV. We are going to have a pretty good defense next year if we get a Mayfield/schenn/pesce/gudas. We have the starting goalie and will have to get some kind of backup for 20-25 games. We just can't score goals or we don't have someone on the team that we can count on for goal scoring.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs

- Stay the course, draft best player available at 5OA (Mitchkov/Smith ideally)
- Stay the course, do not give anything of value for PLD. Stay far away.
- Draft RHD with 31st pick. Use 2nd/3rd/4ths to trade up if required
- Continue to develop young players (Slaf / Dach / Guhle / Barron / Xhekaj)
- Give Farrell and J Roy a drink of water before letting them marinate in the AHL
- Evaluate Montembault as the #1 this season with Jake Allen as backup
- Don't invest in any UFAs
Some of these are fairly subjective...
I'd say:
-avoid committing any ressources for short-term gain. The goal is internal development.
-Other than short-term solutions, avoid spending assets (or committing cap room) on players who won't be around in a couple of seasons.
-Find a depth RD, since the position is thin.
-move a LD when possible, since there's a surplus here.
-weaponize cap space wherever possible, without compromising the first 2 points.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Trade at least two of Tanev, Lindholm, Zadorov, Backlund, Hanifin, Toffoli, to get some worthwhile futures
Also ditch one of Vladar or Markstrom

Other than that not a whole lot, maybe add a top 6 fwd if possible depending on how the trades and draft go

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota:

1C
Scoring (of the top 6 variety)
Defense (no true #1, and depth is an issue)
A coach that plays the better goalie more often than not

Likely none of those are realistically obtainable this summer though

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Call me biased but next to Calgary and Winnipeg my team is the most interesting team in the sport right now. They have a new GM with no loyalty to ANYBODY, you can't even say TJ Brodie because we know he tried to trade TJ Brodie once already, TJ Brodie knows that too.

At least half the roster is some form of free agent be it RFA, or UFA

As for what they need.

They need to figure out what to do with Matt Murray.

They need to figure out what to do with Iliya Samsonov because regardless as to if Samsonov is back or not I don't think Treliving is sold on him.

They need a top 6 LW maybe even 2 but definitely 1 because right now Knies is the top LW unless Jarnkrok moves over but he's better on RW

They need a 3C, maybe a 4C, although Pontus Holmberg might be able to be the 4C.

They need a top 4 D and I think Treliving targets Noah Hanifin, that's one of his guys.

They have A LOT of work to do, a couple guys might be able to fill some spots like Knies and Holmberg but even if they can, and both have shown promise there is A LOT of work to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad