YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What prospect from the team you're a fan of do you think is overrated? Don't go bagging on OTHER teams prospects, we know how that'll turn out. :D

For the Buffalo Sabres, I nominate Ryan Miller. I don't understand what all the hype is about. He put up a lot of wins on a very good team while compiling a .922SA. There's AHL journeymen capable of that if they get enough starts. Those that say all that matters is winning, should direct their attention to his mediocre playoffs (5W, 4L, 2.63GAA, .909SA. He still may develop into a great NHL goalie, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to put my eggs in that basket.

Remember, pick a prospect from YOUR team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
From the Preds....Timofei Shishkanov.

A lot of Preds fans think he's going to be our dynamite go-to sniper, but to me he looks like the second coming of Denis Arkhipov...worldclass skillset, big body...but soft as a kitten and terminally gunshy.

Oilers1*

Alexei Miknhov. Huge bust; never left Russia and will never play in the NHL, yet you occassionally get an Oiler fan asking, 'When will Miknhov develop into a second-liner?'

X0ssbar

Don't know if I'd call him a prospect anymore but Alexander Svitov currently gets my vote.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Trevor Daley.....used to think he'd develop into a top pairing guy, but now looks like an offensive minded #3/4 guy in the mold of Brian Rafalski(at best).

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I usually laugh when I hear Christian Ehrhoff mentioned as a potential #2 defenseman. The guy needs to get stronger and become more solid on his positioning. He hasn't put up the Ozolinsh numbers to make me forget his defensive lapses. Matt Carle could also be another Jim Fahey (ie undersized and pushed around).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody really looks at Hossa or Hainsey anymore.

In that case, Kostitsyn is the man for the Habs. Not that he might not be good. He might be. But he's also showing that there's some chance he might not be, which is a possibility that few Habs fans were crediting a year ago.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any Hab prospects! :biglaugh: :D

Komisarek was close to reaching godlike status by some. I'm a huge fan of his but the Scott Stevens comparisons make me want to jump out the nearest window.

Kostitsyn is the next ultra hyped prospect, and I am to blame as I have been very very impressed at times with his skills but the points just didn't come. I still think he could be a very good NHLer but this past season left questions about his true upside.

What's funny is that 2 years ago you would be hard pressed to find much hype at all about Michael Ryder, yet he goes on to be one of the top rookies in the league. Goes to show that people get carried away with where a player gets drafted.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Evan McGrath. A respectable 4th round choice, but ater he put up some points last season, the Wings fans have gotten carried away with their optimism. He's got a really long ways to go and I don't see him getting there. McGrath will never play a checking role and doesn't have NHL scoring line potential IMO.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Boomhower said:
Evan McGrath. A respectable 4th round choice, but ater he put up some points last season, the Wings fans have gotten carried away with their optimism. He's got a really long ways to go and I don't see him getting there. McGrath will never play a checking role and doesn't have NHL scoring line potential IMO.

I think he definitely has the scoring potential to be a 2nd liner.

PEli*

Adrian Foster. I swear...it's been how long since the Devils went right the **** off the board and took this kid in the first round? Four years? He's played 104 games in four years and has put up 17g and 24a in those games. The kid has more abdominal injuries than goals! The catch? He's ranked #11 on the Devils prospect page. Yeah. He played with Heatley when he was 14 or 15. Who cares? Heatley is good. Foster is a bust.

Almost as bad but not as annoying as Foster. Barry Tallackson.

Hmmmmm

Feb 8, 2005
Buffaloed said:
What prospect from the team you're a fan of do you think is overrated? Don't go bagging on OTHER teams prospects, we know how that'll turn out. :D

For the Buffalo Sabres, I nominate Ryan Miller. I don't understand what all the hype is about. He put up a lot of wins on a very good team while compiling a .922SA. There's AHL journeymen capable of that if they get enough starts. Those that say all that matters is winning, should direct their attention to his mediocre playoffs (5W, 4L, 2.63GAA, .909SA. He still may develop into a great NHL goalie, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to put my eggs in that basket.

As an administrator and professed Amerks fan I would have thought you'd have a better grasp on the talent level of the Rochester D-corp before passing the above judgement on Miller. Apparently you don't have access to the players on the team and others in the league to get their opinions. You'd find the consensus polar to your thoughts.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
ok i'll probably take some heat for this but... leneveu. yes he will be a solid starter for the yotes, but call me conservative, i just don't think he's currently as far along and ready as some think.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I agree with almost all the choices here except McGrath and maybe Tallackson.

I really like McGrath, haven't seen him be all *that* hyped and he definitly is a steal where he was drafted, IMO. And I do think there is definitly a lot of potential as a scoring winger.

Never heard much hype about Tallackson. I'm not really that high on him but I like what I have seen. Solid, no-nonsense player who could make it. I think his game can translate to the next level.

The rest of the picks on this thread would probably be mine if I had a favorite team.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Hmmmmm said:
As an administrator and professed Amerks fan I would have thought you'd have a better grasp on the talent level of the Rochester D-corp before passing the above judgement on Miller.

Defense is played by more than just the dmen. It's a team game. Cunneyworth's coaching embodies defensive. No one can turn a scoring prospect into a 3rd line checker better than Randy. The Amerks are loaded with checking forwards. In any event, if he was really the stud that he's been made out to be, his SA should be better regardless.

Apparently you don't have access to the players on the team and others in the league to get their opinions. You'd find the consensus polar to your thoughts.

You missed the point of the thread. It's purpose is to state your own opinion, rather than restate the opinions of others. I hear Miller is great all the time from all kinds of people. I don't share that opinion.

PEli*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I agree with almost all the choices here except McGrath and maybe Tallackson.

I really like McGrath, haven't seen him be all *that* hyped and he definitly is a steal where he was drafted, IMO. And I do think there is definitly a lot of potential as a scoring winger.

Never heard much hype about Tallackson. I'm not really that high on him but I like what I have seen. Solid, no-nonsense player who could make it. I think his game can translate to the next level.

The rest of the picks on this thread would probably be mine if I had a favorite team.

I should have clarified. Among Devils fans (or a few) who posted here, he was hyped much more than he should have been. On the Devils board, mostly.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Going by Hockey's Future

Kirill Koltsov. He doesn't seem to like North America, is soft, doesn't try, and left for Russia without telling management and people still talk about the possibility of him being a top 3 defenceman. I would trade him while I could.

Jason King is also overrated, but I think he may still develope into a good player. He is sort of like the next Brian Savage. Mr. October is an accurate title for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad