YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Kostitsyn lacks of hockey sense, skating and work ethic imo. He's not overrated anymore, since everybody realized that. He has above average hands and one of the best shot I've seen. He could become a good player, but I honestly don't like him at all.

Zikky

Jul 20, 2004
Lar Jonnson 7th pick overall supose to be an sandis ozolinsh.
Sergei Zinojiev play nice in russia but his future is not very bright with the bruins
Ivan Huml never become what he should have been
Kris Vernarsky :help:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'll have to go with Bissonnette.

Almost made the camp as an 18 year old and that's the main argument most Pens fans have for ranking him so highly. That's impressive but it doesn't hide the fact he's nothing more than a potential third pairing defenseman. Murley is second, though he isn't thought of as highly around here as other places I still feel he sucks.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Chaos said:
Even if he never develops any offense, Belle will stay in the league even as a #6 guy at worst simply because of his skating and defensive ability. I dont think there's anyone that expects Belle to really do much more than that.
Well he is rated as our second best prospect here. Also i understand his hockey sense is sorely lacking, which is a big no no (despite good skating skills) if the nhl really does open things up

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Everyone is picking prospects they don't like rather then the actual overated ones. I will go against the curve.

Zach Parise - Getting highly overated by many on these boards. I will agree he has the potential to get 60-70 points in the old NHL....don't know how many in the new NHL but when people say his potential tops out around 80 or 90....that is just wrong. He can also be overpowered by a bigger center, good thing we also have Zajac, Gomez and Vrana who can play cewnter to take wear and tear off him.

GlueleG

Mar 29, 2002
Brooklin, Ontario
Visit site
Chootoi said:
ok i'll probably take some heat for this but... leneveu. yes he will be a solid starter for the yotes, but call me conservative, i just don't think he's currently as far along and ready as some think.

Where I agree that he is not as far along as a lot of people believe ... I really cant say that I agree that he is overrated.

NewHabsEra*

Corey Locke by a large margin referring where he is ranked in the Montreal HF depth chart.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Magnus Kahnberg - odd pick I know, but as much as I think he's just what the Canes need offensively, he's 25 already and has only showed up on peoples radar since his 33 goal season. Who knows though, the guy could be great, but it's all just hype until Rutherford accually gives him a chance to come across the pond and play.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Red Wings fan here...tough one...maybe Igor Grigorenko. He was supposed to be the second coming of Pavel Datsyuk but he seems to really be struggling hockey-wise after the near fatal car accident last year. I imagine it must have been quite emotionally taxing in addition to the physical injuries.Hopefully, he'll start to come around.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The rumors about Koltsov having a poor attitude are false. Remember, Koltsov is just a kid. He returned to Russia because he was homesick.

Vancouver's most overrated prospect is Brandon Reid.

"He's the next Martin St. Louis! He's the next Paul Kariya!"

Why, because he's small? Those players are great DESPITE their size. Not BECAUSE of it.

Reid has speed, he's defensively sound and is great at faceoffs, but he's weak, not as agile as his size should let him be, and he has very little finish.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
kmad said:
The rumors about Koltsov having a poor attitude are false. Remember, Koltsov is just a kid. He returned to Russia because he was homesick.

Vancouver's most overrated prospect is Brandon Reid.

"He's the next Martin St. Louis! He's the next Paul Kariya!"

Why, because he's small? Those players are great DESPITE their size. Not BECAUSE of it.

Reid has speed, he's defensively sound and is great at faceoffs, but he's weak, not as agile as his size should let him be, and he has very little finish.
Koltsov quit on his team. I don't care if he was homesick or not. The bottomline is he quit on his team.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Koltsov asked to go back to Russia and Carlyle let him after speaking with him. Carlyle never badmouthed him in the media or anything. This does not point to a bad attitude.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
kmad said:
Koltsov asked to go back to Russia and Carlyle let him after speaking with him. Carlyle never badmouthed him in the media or anything. This does not point to a bad attitude.
IMO leaving your team during the middle of the season is a bad attitude. Even before he was drafted there was question marks about his attitude. One of the reasons he fell to the second round was because of his attitude.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Rangers....Nigel Dawes

Put up great numbers in juniors, but the question is whether that will translate to the pro game against bigger, stronger, faster guys. My honest feeling is no. Ofcourse you can always point at guys like St. Louis and Blake and say they made it just fine despite their lack of size, but I dont think Dawes has nearly the speed or quickness of those guys to be able to avoid getting pummelled on every shift in the NHL. No question he has the heart though, as well as the natural skills. Im pulling for him, but I dont expect much.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
petrskudra1 said:
Pens.....Kris Beech

To be over-rated you need to be hyped. If anything Beech has been the opposite almost since he got here by many if not most Pens' fans. And though injuries played some part, and he looked ok parts of last year, he has pretty much lived down to the lack of hype throughout his career here. Sure, alot of us hope for the best this next year, his last chance I would think, but in a whistling past the graveyard way. I have not seen very many he's the second coming posts about him.

Fleury would be a better example as there is strong hype about him. But he is so young, only 20, goaltenders often flounder at that age, and there is real talent there for anyone to see, just no consistency yet. Malkin seems to be living up to the hype. The rest? Orpik is about hyped and thought of where he is. The silly comparisons a small handful aside, most see him for what he is.

Most of the rest have some talent but no one sees anyone of them as potential super stars in the league, just good solid players. So if I had to pick one it would be Fleury, but very reluctantly for the reasons above. Right now it is almost silly to peg Fleury with that tag until he gets a bit older.

Last edited:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
canucksfan said:
IMO leaving your team during the middle of the season is a bad attitude. Even before he was drafted there was question marks about his attitude. One of the reasons he fell to the second round was because of his attitude.

He fell to the second round because he couldn't make it to the prospects game due to the Russian hockey federation not allowing him and another Russian prospect (I forget who) to go to North America for some reason.

The prospect game has entirely too much bearing on draft position - look at how far Ellis-Plante dropped.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
New York Rangers - Hugh Jessiman... the year after he was picked he was mediocre. Last year he was injured just about the entire season. Doesn't appear to be the 1st line PF the Rangers saw when they took him over guys like Getzlaf and Parise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad