Your team's 2003 draft

Cliff O Malley

Aug 4, 2006
I DUNNO?
As we all know the 2003 draft was incredible. I would like a wrap-up of your teams draft pick from that year. Include stats, pros-and-cons, potential, if they were a steal in the round, etc.

Here's the 1st round:

NHL Totals
Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
1 Pittsburgh Marc-Andre Fleury G Cape-Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL) 71 0 1 1 0
2 Carolina Eric Staal C Peterborough Petes (OHL) 163 56 75 131 121
3 Florida Nathan Horton C Oshawa Generals (OHL) 126 42 27 69 146
4 Columbus Nikolai Zherdev R CSKA Moscow (Russia) 130 40 48 88 104
5 Buffalo Thomas Vanek W U. of Minnesota (NCAA) 81 25 23 48 72
6 San Jose Milan Michalek W Ceske Budejovice HC (Czech) 83 18 18 36 49
7 Nashville Ryan Suter D U.S. Junior National Team (Intl) 71 1 15 16 66
8 Atlanta Braydon Coburn D Portland Winter Hawks (WHL) 9 0 1 1 4
9 Calgary Dion Phaneuf D Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 82 20 29 49 93
10 Mtl. Canadiens Andrei Kostitsyn W CSKA Moscow (Russia) 12 2 1 3 2
11 Philadelphia Jeff Carter C Sault-Ste.-Marie Greyhounds (OHL) 81 23 19 42 40
12 NY Rangers Hugh Jessiman F Dartmouth College (NCAA)
13 Los Angeles Dustin Brown R Guelph Storm (OHL) 110 15 18 33 96
14 Chicago Brent Seabrook D Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) 69 5 27 32 60
15 NY Islanders Robert Nilsson C Leksands IF (SEL) 53 6 14 20 26
16 San Jose Steve Bernier R Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) 39 14 13 27 35
17 New Jersey Zach Parise C U. of North Dakota (NCAA) 81 14 18 32 28
18 Washington Eric Fehr R Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) 11 0 0 0 2
19 Anaheim Ryan Getzlaf C Calgary Hitmen (WHL) 57 14 25 39 22
20 Minnesota Brent Burns D Brampton Battalion (OHL) 108 5 17 22 44
21 Boston Mark Stuart D Colorado College (NCAA) 17 1 1 2 10
22 Edmonton Marc-Antoine Pouliot C Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) 8 1 0 1 0
23 Vancouver Ryan Kesler C Ohio State University (NCAA) 110 12 16 28 95
24 Philadelphia Mike Richards C Kitchener Rangers (OHL) 79 11 23 34 65
25 Florida Anthony Stewart R Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) 10 2 1 3 2
26 Los Angeles Brian Boyle F St. Sebastian's [Mass. H.S.]
27 Los Angeles Jeff Tambellini L U. of Michigan (NCAA) 25 1 3 4 10
28 Anaheim Corey Perry R London Knights (OHL) 56 13 12 25 50
29 Ottawa Patrick Eaves F Boston College (NCAA) 58 20 9 29 22
30 St. Louis Shawn Belle D Tri-City Americans (WHL)

Here's who the Pens drafted:

1 G Marc-Andre Fleury
32 C Ryan Stone
70 R Jonathan Filewich
73 L Daniel Carcillo
121 D Paul Bissonnette
161 L Evgeny Isakov
169 L Lukas Bolf
199 G Andy Chiodo
229 C Stephen Dixon
232 L Joe Jensen
263 F Matt Moulson

MAF - looking back, maybe the Pens should have traded this pick for a later pick (Vanek) and a prospect. Stats should vastly improve next year if our defense is revamped.

Ryan Stone - Very good pick (rather have Weber of Carle;)). Hurt last year but showed promise in his rookie year with WBS in the AHL (14-22-36 and 109 PIMS.) Should be up in two years as fourth line center.

Johnathan Filewich - Could be up next year. Top 6 winger or bust type. 30 goals last year for WBS

Daniel Carcillo - Traded for George Laraque, and I was sad to see him go. In 18 games for Phoenix he had 4 goals, 3 assist, and 74 PIM's. A good agitator who can score and actually fight!

Paul Bissonnette - Stuck in the ECHL, just plain sucks.

Evgeny Isakov & Lukas Bolf- Don't know

Andy Chiodo - Once very promising but slipping down the Pens depth chart

Stephen Dixon - Solid in WBS 80 games 17-24-41 and 43 PIM's. Good late pick.

Joe Jensen - Not very good, kind of smallish for the NHL. 6 goals in 26 games for WBS in the AHL.

Matt Moulson - Awesome, awesome pick in the last round. Very mad the Pens didn't sign him. Rookie year in the AHL last year. 77 games 25-32-57 and 23 Pim's. Could look decent on a wing beside Kopitar eventually!

What team's next?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Just to add to what you said about the Pens...

We traded up to get Fleury so there was no way we were trading down that year. Fleury is already a good goalie and will only get better, he still has some consistancy problems but it's common with young goalies and I'm confident he will continue to progress. His stats don't reflect his play for the most part, it mostly reflects on our terrible D in front of him. And if we hadn't taken him, who would be our starter right now? JS Aubin?

As you said, the wrist injury set Stone back this year but he still looks promising. I was extremely impressed with him at the 03/04 training camp and again at this year's camp. I think he'll be a good player some day.

I agree with what you said about Filewich. Typical boom or bust player. I'd imagine he'll get a look next year depending on if/how many wingers we aquire this summer. He'll probably be the first injury callup.

Carcillo does have potential to be a great energy guy if he can finally find a way to control his emotions, which he hasn't yet. He seemed to fall out of favor with the Pens' organization after he took that terrible baseball swing to some guy's face.

Bissonnette had a great camp in 03/04 and came very close to making the team as an 18 year old (mostly due to our lack at D) but since has been disappointing.

The only thing I know about Bolf is that he was at training camp for the 03/04 season and was unimpressive. Doubtful that he ever comes to NA. I would say the same about Isakov, though he never came over here in the first place.

Chiodo isn't even in the Pens system anymore, he's a UFA and playing in Europe. He was strong in the playoffs for WBS and the couple games he played in the NHL, but nothing special.

Dixon also is looking like a pretty solid pick and should be a solid 3rd/4th liner some day.

Jensen still has some potential but likely will be a career AHLer.

I'll agree that Moulson should have been retained due to our lack of wingers and that WBS is going to be barren next season since Edmonton won't be sending their prospects over anymore, but I doubt he'll develop into anything too special.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Kings:

13. RW Dustin Brown(LA): Certainly left some talent on the board (Seabrook, Bernier, Parise, Getzlaf), and although many Kings fans hate this pick, I still love it. Brown is finally starting to find his game, not to mention is the hardest hitter in the league. Has gotten more and more responsibility this year and shoudl continue to mature and become a more complete player.

26. C/D Brian Boyle(LA): Drafted as a project, it has taken him a while to develop. Is having a very good playoffs with Manchester in the AHL, and could still develop into an effective offensive player, or depth forward. Lombardi seems to think that Boyle will make a better defenseman however as he possess great size, skating and vision.

27. LW Jeff Tambellini(NYI): Traded in that desparate deadline deal last year to NYI, Tambellini has very good offensive abilities and should develop into a solid top 6 forward. 59pts in only 50 games in the AHL, added 9pts in 23 games on Long Island.

44. LW Konstantin Pushkarev(DAL): Scrawny talented Pushkarev possesses very good skill, but lacks the will to succeed at the next level. Looked good at times when called up to LA this year, he has not been able to produce offensively enough at the AHL level. Likely a bust.

82. G Ryan Munce(TB): Has been a very consistant netminder at the ECHL level, but has yet to prove anything at even the AHL level.

152. C Brady Murray(LA): Recently signed with LA coming back from Swizterland after 2 years, including a 32pt season in 38 games last year. Has a chance to be a solid depth player.

174. C Esa Pirnes(UFA): The overager was an average depth player in 03-04 for the Kings, but has since returned to Europe and will likely remain there for his career.

231. G Matt Zaba(LA): Has been a pretty solid goalie for Colorado College, but not likely it will ever translate to the NHL.

244. C Mike Sullivan(LA): Was a depth player with Clarkson University for the last 4 years. Will probably never make it to the AHL.

274. RW Marty Guerin(LA): The 3rd straight graduating college player, Guerin had a decent enough 32pt season, but is also unlikely to ever be signed in the NHL.

Overall, LA's draft was completely pathetic. In one of the deepest draftest in recent memory, and with 4 picks in the first 45, the came out with Brown, and maybe Boyle. Terrible, terrible draft.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
mn wild.

1st round pick #21 I believe.... Brent Burns- Very good D man, well worth the pick. Should be a top 2 D pairing guy in time. Won't say he was a steal but legit...

2nd round pick #56 - Patrick O'sullivan... Turning into a quality player for the kings. He helped the Wild get Pavol Demitra from the Kings. Completing a successful top two rounds for the mn wild.

Rest of the draft ...someone else can do.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
10 W Andrei Kostitsyn : Probably the most talked prospect in the draft. Highly touted and skilled but still hasnt found his way to the NHL. Way better player available make this pick hard to swallow, but the potential is still there and hopefully we see it unleashed next year !
40 C Cory Urquhart : Major Bust for his ranking selection, very few still have hope but he seems to have gotten better in the AHL playoff.
61 C Maxim Lapierre : Surefire NHLer and a local boy to boot, very good pick and he was definately worth his selection.
79 D Ryan O'Byrne : Hulking defenseman with amazing mobility for his size. He comes with lots of hope and praise. Could be dominant or average 7th defenseman. He was worth the gamble.
113 C Corey Locke : Smallish offensive center. I highly doubt he'll make an impact with the habs or even play a game in the NHL. He looks very good in the playoff and he's already considered a possible all star minor leaguer. Boom or Bust.
123 L Danny Stewart : Bust
177 G Christopher Heino-Lindberg: Very underrated goalie but I doubt he ever make the jump in the NHL with the money he makes in the SEL.
188 D Mark Flood : Bust
217 Oskari Korpikari : Very few hopes, so bust.
241 L Jimmy Bonneau : 4th line enforcer and nothing more. He will probably never make the jump in the NHL.
271 G Jaroslav Halak : Best late pick of the draft. Could become a very good starter or one of the best back-up.

Overall : Worst draft by Trevor Timmins especially with the quality of the draft.

Sinistrophobia

Dec 3, 2006
Ah, yes, the 2003 draft. One of my favorites.

1A-Milan Michalek- He's awesome. He's lived up to the skill that he was hyped up to be. He's got fantastic speed, a pretty good shot, reasonably good with the puck, and very responsible defensively. He's got terrific size and learned to use it this year. He should be a mainstay on the top 6.

1B-Steve Bernier- No matter which way you cut it, it's hard not to stick with a young power forward. There is a certain edge of Bernier's game that is very mature and developed. He has a huge frame and knows how to use it VERY well. I love how he can identify the situation if it calls for physical play. For a big man, he has great stickhandling around the net. I imagine most of us saw his beauty of a goal last year. He still needs to work out getting his conditioning back after injuring his toe. It'd be nice if he worked a little bit on his skating to try and gain a step or so. Overall, I'm keeping completely open-minded about what pace Bernier is progressing.

2A-Josh Hennessy- He was involved in the Bell trade, so he never got to showcase his stuff on this level with the Sharks, but I saw some promise in his playmaking abilities.

2B-Matt Carle- As much of a goat he became down the stretch, you can't deny how successful Carle's rookie season was. He did what was expected of him: display his offensive prowess. That was great and he overshot those expectations, but he still needs to work on his defensive game. He can gather up speed nicely when rushing the puck, but I didn't see the speed to get back on the defensive end during the season. I'd count on his defensive ability to improve with time, but his offensive contributions were undeniable.

7A-Jonathan Tremblay- Not a lot of upside for Tremblay. He's a great fighter, but that's about it. He's had nearly no offensive production at any level and essentially all other aspects of his game need work.

7B-Joe Pavelski- He was just about as good of a 7th round pick as you can find. Pavelski played great for stretches when he first came up. He's got great vision on the ice and has a nice mix of goal scoring ability and playmaking skills. He lacks good size and strength, something that will probably relagate him to scoring roles. Pavelski played his worst when he played on a checking line last year. He's not BAD defensively, but he just lacks ideal size. He also doesn't have great speed, especially for his size. Overall, he was a great surprise and contributed nicely.

7C-KAI HOSPELT- From what I understand, Hospelt's good pretty good skills. He has good speed and stickhandling. Despite this, he hasn't recieved a whole lot of ice time with the Cologne Sharks. He doesn't seem to have much of a future in the NHL, but you can't really expect a 7th round choice to do much for you.

I don't know anything about the rest of the Sharks picks, but 2003 was a very good draft overall for the Sharks.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Ah, yes, the 2003 draft. One of my favorites.

1A-Milan Michalek- He's awesome. He's lived up to the skill that he was hyped up to be. He's got fantastic speed, a pretty good shot, reasonably good with the puck, and very responsible defensively. He's got terrific size and learned to use it this year. He should be a mainstay on the top 6.

1B-Steve Bernier- No matter which way you cut it, it's hard not to stick with a young power forward. There is a certain edge of Bernier's game that is very mature and developed. He has a huge frame and knows how to use it VERY well. I love how he can identify the situation if it calls for physical play. For a big man, he has great stickhandling around the net. I imagine most of us saw his beauty of a goal last year. He still needs to work out getting his conditioning back after injuring his toe. It'd be nice if he worked a little bit on his skating to try and gain a step or so. Overall, I'm keeping completely open-minded about what pace Bernier is progressing.

2A-Josh Hennessy- He was involved in the Bell trade, so he never got to showcase his stuff on this level with the Sharks, but I saw some promise in his playmaking abilities.

2B-Matt Carle- As much of a goat he became down the stretch, you can't deny how successful Carle's rookie season was. He did what was expected of him: display his offensive prowess. That was great and he overshot those expectations, but he still needs to work on his defensive game. He can gather up speed nicely when rushing the puck, but I didn't see the speed to get back on the defensive end during the season. I'd count on his defensive ability to improve with time, but his offensive contributions were undeniable.

7A-Jonathan Tremblay- Not a lot of upside for Tremblay. He's a great fighter, but that's about it. He's had nearly no offensive production at any level and essentially all other aspects of his game need work.

7B-Joe Pavelski- He was just about as good of a 7th round pick as you can find. Pavelski played great for stretches when he first came up. He's got great vision on the ice and has a nice mix of goal scoring ability and playmaking skills. He lacks good size and strength, something that will probably relagate him to scoring roles. Pavelski played his worst when he played on a checking line last year. He's not BAD defensively, but he just lacks ideal size. He also doesn't have great speed, especially for his size. Overall, he was a great surprise and contributed nicely.

7C-KAI HOSPELT- From what I understand, Hospelt's good pretty good skills. He has good speed and stickhandling. Despite this, he hasn't recieved a whole lot of ice time with the Cologne Sharks. He doesn't seem to have much of a future in the NHL, but you can't really expect a 7th round choice to do much for you.

I don't know anything about the rest of the Sharks picks, but 2003 was a very good draft overall for the Sharks.

Wow. I can see why its one of your favorites, thats impressive.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
Columbus

4. Nikolai Zherdev W: Frustrating, to say the least. His contract dispute is well publicized, and big things were expected from him this past season, after scoring 27 goals in '05-'06. However, he only had 10 goals. The whole team struggled, but that kind of offensive drop-off is worthy of concern. If he's not part of a trade package this offseason, '07-'08 will be the make or break season for Nik. At least with Columbus. Personally I have hope that he will buy into Hitch's system and come out of camp determined and with a fire under his butt. He should be on a line with Nash and a new centre (hopefully).

46. Dan Fritsche RW: A hard working guy with wheels and the ability to put up serious offense, Danny is a fan favourite being an Ohio native and because he brings energy every shift. He has firmly planted himself in the top 9 in Columbus, and will likely play third line RW, with Chimera and Svitov as his linemates. He has the ability to seamlessly transition to a scoring line if needed.

71. Dmitri Kosmachev D: He's a solid, dependable blueliner who likely won't ever make the trip across the pond. His style of play isn't hard to acquire via FA or otherwise.

103. Kevin Jarman LW: Recently completed his collegiate career at UMass-Amherst, he likely won't amount to anything substantial long term. He put up decent offense this past offseason, but if he wants to advance his career past the ECHL or other minor pro, he'll have to work his butt off.

104. Phillippe Dupuis C: Had an awesome junior career, he was a consistent offensive threat and was a linemate in '05-'06 of 2004 CBJ 2nd rounder Adam Pineault. Dupuis made his pro debut this past season, and while he rode the AHL-ECHL bus a bit, he had a pretty respectable pro rookie year. I expect him to take his game to the next level next season and solidify a spot in Syracuse on a scoring line.

138. Arsi Piispanen C: He's a big scrappy centre , he likely won't make the trek over from Finland after having a couple straight mediocre seasons for Jyvaskyla.

168. Marc Methot D: A great mid-to-late round pick, he played solid at the end of the season on the Jackets' blueline. He's a defensive defenseman, and is incredible steady. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, then he will be a top 4 guy with the Crunch. He would make a great partner for Kris Russell, who will be making his pro debut.

200. Alex Guskov D: Definitely not in the Jackets' plans, he has bounced around in the RSL. He can be considered an offensive defenseman. Will likely finish his career in the RSL.

233. Mathieu Gravel D: Not even playing anymore, after finishing his career with Baie Comeau he played in the CIS. I remember watching him a few seasons ago thinking he could be a potential AHLer at least, he had the ability to put up solid offense from the blueline.

283. Trevor Hendrikx D:
He was drafted twice after not coming to a contract agreement. This was the first time he was picked. He was originally drafted as a bruising fighting defenseman, but rounded out his game last season with Peterborough and had career highs in points. He's currently playing for the Dayton Bombers in the Kelly Cup playoffs. He projects as a depth defenseman for the CBJ, likely spending much of his career in the minors.

GoRatsGo

Heffalump Country
Apr 25, 2007
100 Aker Wood
Nathan Horton is getting better and better for the Florida Panthers. He will soon be able to stand up with the best in the league!:yo:

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Philadelphia Flyers...

Round 1, #11: Jeff Carter (C)

Great skater, loads of offensive talent, and has one of the most devestating wrist shots I've ever seen. Now, if only he could get that wrist shot on net more often! His shooting % is piss poor thus far, and it's something he really has to work on if he's going to live up to his potential. Lastly, he needs to get stronger -- something that will hopefully happen as he continues to fill out his frame. He's a sniper with first-line center potential, make no mistake about it.

Round 1, #24: Mike Richards (C)

Future captain and already a fan favorite because of his tenacity and fearlessness. He's already a great defensive forward who logs significant time on the PK and will center our shutdown line for the next decade -- he'll be in Selke contention for a long time. While Mike might never put up gaudy offensive numbers, he's a great passer who can fill in on the second line in a pinch, if needed. Richards is an invaluable player because of all the things he does that don't show up on the score sheet.

Round 3, #69: Colin Fraser (C)

Traded to the Blackhawks in the Alexei Zhamnov deal. Put up 36 points in 67 games with their AHL affiliate this past season. You'll have to ask Blackhawks fans about him.

Round 3, #81: Stefan Ruzicka (RW)

Very, very talented... perhaps has the most raw offensive talent of any prospect in our system. There have been questions about his work ethic and committment, and he was even chastised by coach John Stevens in front of the whole Flyers team. Ruzicka has shown flashes of brilliance but is much too inconsistent to log regular minutes with the Flyers. He's got the ability to be a second-line winger in the NHL, but he needs another season in the AHL, where he'll hopefully dominate. I fully expect him to be a regular with the Flyers come 2008-2009.

Round 3, #85: Alexandre Picard (D)

Was very impressive in his time with the Flyers this season. Just a solid player in all 3 zones. He's still pretty green and isn't as physical as I'd like for a player his size, but whatever. Picard's a top 4 defenseman in this league, but with the influx of defensive talent to the Flyers this past season, I expect Picard to play a full season in the AHL before becoming a fixture in 2008-2009.

Round 3, #87: Ryan Potulny (F)

A player I really, really like. Totally dominated at Minnesota and has looked very good in his call-ups to the Flyers. Potulny's just one of those players... he has a nose for the net, great hands, and superior hockey smarts. Potulny's going to be a good player in this league for a long time, a top 6 forward, for sure. I hope the Flyers find a spot for him on the team because he's definitely a keeper.

Round 3, #95: Rick Kozak (RW)

Sucks... no longer with the organization.

Round 4, #108: Kevin Romy (F)

Swiss kid still playing professionally in Switzerland... probably crosses the pond to play in NA next year. Romy's a smooth skater and defensively responsible, but he won't put up big offensive numbers. If he makes it in the NHL, it'll be as a defensive forward on a team's shutdown line.

Round 5, #150: David Tremblay (G)

Meh.

Round 6, #191: Rejean Beauchemin (G)

Never lived up to expectations... struggled in the AHL and doesn't appear to really be in the team's future plans.

Round 6, #193: Ville Hostikka (G)

Still playing overseas... solid goalie and intriguing prospect who the team hopes to bring to NA next year.

Yeah, Carter and Richards are the future, but that 3rd round was an absolute gold mine... 3/5 picks have realistic chances of being regulars with the team! Awesome, awesome scouting and drafting to snag those players in round 3.

Ender

Sharks:
Pick - Player
6 - Milan Michalek
He's awesome. He's lived up to the skill that he was hyped up to be. He's got fantastic speed, a pretty good shot, reasonably good with the puck, and very responsible defensively. He's got terrific size and learned to use it this year. He should be a mainstay on the top 6.

16 - Steve Bernier
This guy is looking fantastic. He's progressing faster then most people (inculding me) would of expected with him being a powerforward. He's already shown flashes of his skill, drive, and size usage. Once he puts them together in a season or two more (he's been progressing fast, I wouldn't of expected to see him round out for another four year originally) he will be one of the most dangerous Sharks.

43 - Josh Hennessy
Haven't had a chance to see his set of hands but from what I've heard he's been (and has) showing flashes of his ability to be a second line center. Which is pretty good in my books.

47 - Matt Carle
His offensive game is far ahead of any Shark defensive draftee since the team came into existance. He now has the record for the most points by a rookie defenseman in a SJ jersey and can only get better on offense. His defensive game is nothing to write home about, but should improve over time. Carle looks like a fantastic pick-up.

139 - Patrick Ehelechner
Haven't heard much of this guy this season, but least season everything I read and saw praised this guys abilities. Last I heard he has the ability to be a #1 goalie in the NHL someday. He still needs some more seasoning.

201 - Jonathan Tremblay
He talks with his fists. He was purely drafted because of that, with the Shelley incident fresh in the Sharks minds.

205 - Joe Pavelski
Guy jumped in and proved me wrong in that he wasn't just a quick flash in the pan. He has fantastic vision and a nice mix of goal scoring ability with playmaking skills. A nose for the net, soft hands, and is a proven winner. Only downfall for him is his size is not what people would like, but he's not a banger, he's a scorer. A late steal of a pick.

216 - Kai Hospelt
From what I understand, Hospelt's good pretty good skills. He has good speed and stickhandling. Despite this, he hasn't recieved a whole lot of ice time with the Cologne Sharks. He doesn't seem to have much of a future in the NHL.

236 - Alexander Hult
Decent size and a decent centerman are about the only things I know about this guy. I know he has skill to make the NHL, whether he will, I have no idea.

267 - Brian O'Hanley
Offensive defenseman, don't know much else. Nothing jumps out about him other then he's a NHL longshot.

276 - Carter Lee

Playing in college, decent frame, powerforward tendancies and a decent skillset. He has a shot at the NHL but not at the hmoment and nothing higher then the 3rd line... If even.

6 out of 11 so far. I loved this draft.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I thought that was the last draft Savard did before Gainey started running them with Timmins? Or was Timmins there before Gainey?

Savard was the guy that selected Urquhart and Lapierre but all the other players were selected by timmins and his staff !
Gainey was just appointed 1 month before the draft and had nothing to say about the selections except hello welcome with the canadiens and show up to the podium !

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
New Jersey Devils

#17 Zach Parise
#42 Petr Vrana
#93 Ivan Khumotov
#167 Zach Tarkir
#197 Jason Smith
#261 Joey Tenure
#292 Arseny Bondarev

Worth it for Parise alone. He'll be a franchise forward and I see him wearing an A (maybe even the C) in the future. From what I've heard Vrana could be a second line center, he's been compared to Sergei Brylin - but with more offense and less defense. Don't know much about the others, but Smith has been signed by the Devils and should play in Lowell next year.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Dallas
#33 Loui Eriksson
#36 Vojtech Polak
#54 B.J. Crombeen
#99 Matt Nickerson
#134 Alexander Naurov
#144 Eero Kilpelainen
#165 Gino Guyer
#185 Francis Wathier
#195 Drew Bagnall
#196 Elias Granath
#259 Niko Vainio

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Boston Bruins

21 D Mark Stuart
45 C Patrice Bergeron
66 R Masi Marjamaki
107 F Byron Bitz
118 D Frank Rediker
129 L Patrik Valcak
153 G Mike Brown
183 C Nate Thompson
247 C Benoit Mondou
277 G Kevin Regan

Bergeron was one of the best steals of the draft at #45. He made the team as an 18 year old and he only had one year of junior prior and has one of the best two-way games out of any player in the league his age. He really burst out in 05/06 and proved that he is a very capable first line center.

Stuart has been decent although I would have expected him to have already secured a spot on the big club by now. Next year he should have a spot held down for good and he looks to develop into a solid stay-at-home top-4 dman and will most likely be wearing an "A" or "C" sometime soon down the road.

The only other player I see making the NHL is Nate Thompson who saw a call-up already this year. He's got a good chance to turn into a solid 4th line checking center. I don't see Brown or Reagan being anything more than AHL goaltenders. Bitz might have a chance at cracking the NHL. The rest I have no idea about.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Chicago Blackhawks

14 D Brent Seabrook-- Will be a 15 year NHL standout
52 G Corey Crawford-- We'll see, great in stretches but still 2 years away
59 D Michal Barinka -- Made for the old NHL really
151 D Lasse Kukkonen-- Philly will love his all around game
156 L Alexei Ivanov -- Bust
181 C Johan Andersson-- Big and slow bust
211 G Mike Brodeur -- Injuries (too bad because he's a decent goalie)
245 D Dustin Byfuglien-- Will play in the NHL
275 D Michael Grenzy-- Long shot/AHL player
282 F Chris Porter-- Good player, will get his first AHL action next season.

In all 4 NHL players: Seabrook, Kukkonen, Byfuglien and Crawford. Porter could very well make it as an NHL grinder/Pk'er; and IMO Barinka was a good shot to make it in the old NHL when his willingness to play a lil nasty made up for his lack of foot speed.

-fullmetalninja

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
#2 Eric Staal
Nothing needs to be said here. Very good pick.

#31 Danny Richmond
Well, he was used to pick up Babchuk who was looking like a pretty big upgrade before he threw his tantrum.

#102 Aaron Dawson
Don't think he's even in the system anymore.

#126 Kevin Nastiuk
A year or two ago this looked like a good pick but he hasn't done much since. Stuck behind lots of other goalies in the system.

#130 Matej Trojovsky
Almost made the team in 03-04 actually but hasn't done anything since. Don't even think he's on the team anymore.

#137 Tyson Strachan
He's still bumbling around in the system somewhere but I don't think anyone expects him to do anything.

#198 Shay Stephenson
If I recall, he was another that shined in 03/04 but disappeared since.

#262 Ryan Rorabeck
I have no idea where he is.

Overall, B-. Staal is yay, everything else is nay. #31 hurts a bit since it was like a first.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver Canucks :

23 C Ryan Kesler
60 R Marc-Andre Bernier
111 C Brandon Nolan
128 L Ty Morris
160 L Nicklas Danielsson
190 D Chad Brownlee
222 C Francois-Pierre Guenette
252 F Sergei Topol
254 D Nathan McIver
285 D Matthew Hansen

Absolute incompetance. Kesler was a decent selection, but with a pick that Canuck scouts could hardly screw up ... pretty much every available player with that pick (Perry, Eaves, Tambellini, Richards) would have been solid.

The other 9 picks couldn't possibly be worse if a drunken monkey was doing the selections. Of those 9 players, 8 will never even be good enough to take a regular shift in the AHL, and the other (McIver) is a marginal depth AHL defender. Just shockingly bad ... weren't even close to getting anything right in the best draft in recent memory. It would be difficult to do worse if you were trying to **** it up ...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think this draft got the Kings head scouts fired this season.

Dustin Brown was an excellent pick, not many players in the NHL can play the physical style he plays and also contribute offensively, that was a great pick.

The problem is the Kings passed on Shea Weber and Patrick O'Sullivan three times. A future Norris winner and a future 40 goal scorer, and we end up with Boyle and Pushkarev.

When O'Sullivan fell to #26 it was an absolute joke the Kings didn't use one of those picks on a player with so much talent.

Could be worse though, Hugh Jessiman was probably one of the worst picks in recent memory, not his fault, but wow look at the players taken after him, sucks for the Rangers.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
Anaheim Ducks:

19 - Ryan Getzlaf
28 - Corey Perry
86 - Shane Hynes
90 - Juha Alen
119 - Nathan Saunders
186 - Drew Miller
218 - Dirk Southern
280 - Ville Mantymaa

That year, Bryan Murray continued his trend of going for big, physical players and he didn't disappoint. Getzlaf and Perry pretty much says it all and Drew Miller's coming on strong. Pretty much, the best draft the Ducks had in a long time and great move by Murray to talk the Stars into trading their 28th overall pick.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
As we all know the 2003 draft was incredible. I would like a wrap-up of your teams draft pick from that year. Include stats, pros-and-cons, potential, if they were a steal in the round, etc.

Here's the 1st round:

NHL Totals
Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
1 Pittsburgh Marc-Andre Fleury G Cape-Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL) 71 0 1 1 0
2 Carolina Eric Staal C Peterborough Petes (OHL) 163 56 75 131 121
3 Florida Nathan Horton C Oshawa Generals (OHL) 126 42 27 69 146
4 Columbus Nikolai Zherdev R CSKA Moscow (Russia) 130 40 48 88 104
5 Buffalo Thomas Vanek W U. of Minnesota (NCAA) 81 25 23 48 72
6 San Jose Milan Michalek W Ceske Budejovice HC (Czech) 83 18 18 36 49
7 Nashville Ryan Suter D U.S. Junior National Team (Intl) 71 1 15 16 66
8 Atlanta Braydon Coburn D Portland Winter Hawks (WHL) 9 0 1 1 4
9 Calgary Dion Phaneuf D Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 82 20 29 49 93
10 Mtl. Canadiens Andrei Kostitsyn W CSKA Moscow (Russia) 12 2 1 3 2
11 Philadelphia Jeff Carter C Sault-Ste.-Marie Greyhounds (OHL) 81 23 19 42 40
12 NY Rangers Hugh Jessiman F Dartmouth College (NCAA)
13 Los Angeles Dustin Brown R Guelph Storm (OHL) 110 15 18 33 96
14 Chicago Brent Seabrook D Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) 69 5 27 32 60
15 NY Islanders Robert Nilsson C Leksands IF (SEL) 53 6 14 20 26
16 San Jose Steve Bernier R Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) 39 14 13 27 35
17 New Jersey Zach Parise C U. of North Dakota (NCAA) 81 14 18 32 28
18 Washington Eric Fehr R Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) 11 0 0 0 2
19 Anaheim Ryan Getzlaf C Calgary Hitmen (WHL) 57 14 25 39 22
20 Minnesota Brent Burns D Brampton Battalion (OHL) 108 5 17 22 44
21 Boston Mark Stuart D Colorado College (NCAA) 17 1 1 2 10
22 Edmonton Marc-Antoine Pouliot C Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) 8 1 0 1 0
23 Vancouver Ryan Kesler C Ohio State University (NCAA) 110 12 16 28 95
24 Philadelphia Mike Richards C Kitchener Rangers (OHL) 79 11 23 34 65
25 Florida Anthony Stewart R Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) 10 2 1 3 2
26 Los Angeles Brian Boyle F St. Sebastian's [Mass. H.S.]
27 Los Angeles Jeff Tambellini L U. of Michigan (NCAA) 25 1 3 4 10
28 Anaheim Corey Perry R London Knights (OHL) 56 13 12 25 50
29 Ottawa Patrick Eaves F Boston College (NCAA) 58 20 9 29 22
30 St. Louis Shawn Belle D Tri-City Americans (WHL)

Here's who the Pens drafted:

1 G Marc-Andre Fleury
32 C Ryan Stone
70 R Jonathan Filewich
73 L Daniel Carcillo
121 D Paul Bissonnette
161 L Evgeny Isakov
169 L Lukas Bolf
199 G Andy Chiodo
229 C Stephen Dixon
232 L Joe Jensen
263 F Matt Moulson

MAF - looking back, maybe the Pens should have traded this pick for a later pick (Vanek) and a prospect. Stats should vastly improve next year if our defense is revamped.

Ryan Stone - Very good pick (rather have Weber of Carle;)). Hurt last year but showed promise in his rookie year with WBS in the AHL (14-22-36 and 109 PIMS.) Should be up in two years as fourth line center.

Johnathan Filewich - Could be up next year. Top 6 winger or bust type. 30 goals last year for WBS

Daniel Carcillo - Traded for George Laraque, and I was sad to see him go. In 18 games for Phoenix he had 4 goals, 3 assist, and 74 PIM's. A good agitator who can score and actually fight!

Paul Bissonnette - Stuck in the ECHL, just plain sucks.

Evgeny Isakov & Lukas Bolf- Don't know

Andy Chiodo - Once very promising but slipping down the Pens depth chart

Stephen Dixon - Solid in WBS 80 games 17-24-41 and 43 PIM's. Good late pick.

Joe Jensen - Not very good, kind of smallish for the NHL. 6 goals in 26 games for WBS in the AHL.

Matt Moulson - Awesome, awesome pick in the last round. Very mad the Pens didn't sign him. Rookie year in the AHL last year. 77 games 25-32-57 and 23 Pim's. Could look decent on a wing beside Kopitar eventually!

What team's next?

Successful teams build from the net out. Fleury was the right pick and will certainly be more valuable by the end of his career than Vanek. He's young and he's making enormous strides. No second thoughts there for me.

Stone was a good pick in a vacuum, a gritty yet reasonably talented forward, but I can't help but gag when I look at some of the guys who we passed on for him. Bergeron, Weber, Carle, O'Sullivan, Fritsche, Hennessey, Backes all would have been better picks.

I like Filewich. I'm not sold on him as a top 6 winger but I think he can contribute on the third line if he doesn't grab a scoring role. I'd like to see us take a page out of Buffalo's book where every line can hurt you. A guy like Filewich could, at the very least, pot 15-20 from the third line.

Carcillo is a bad player. Takes stupid penalties, undisciplined, horrible temper, etc...I don't miss him at all. Contrary to some of his fans' opinions, he has nowhere near the skill level of a Darcy Tucker or a Sean Avery.

Bissonnette once looked like a very good pick when he nearly made the team out of camp at age 19, but looking back it's more likely that the team's defense was so horrid that you or I would have nearly made it. I still think he can be a 6 or 7 but there's clearly no more upside there.

Bolf and Isakov aren't worth discussing.

Chiodo was never all that promising, he just had nice hair.

Dixon's nothing special but he has a chance to be a fourth liner in the NHL and that's nothing to laugh at considering where he was picked.

Jensen isn't worth discussing.

Moulson's alright but it's comical how some Pens fans act like we let the next Naslund go. He will never EVER play on a line with Kopitar unless every single Kings forward prospect flops, Dustin Brown gets abducted by aliens, Alex Frolov decides hockey isn't "for him" and joins the circus, etc... He's a 2nd/3rd liner tweener at best. Sure, it was silly to just cast him off but he's not going to come back and haunt us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad