Your team wins the Cup. Who gets to skate with it first after the captain?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As a fan I hate when the cup is handed off to a nobody player, just because he's older....

If Edmonton wins - Drai should 100% get the cup. Toronto - Matthews. (assuming they both perform well in the playoffs, which you'd expect).
Well, Nuge isn't a nobody, he's one of the assistant captains, but point taken. He's the only one left from when things were truly awful, so it would be nice to recognize him having to go through the crap that none of the others have. Doesn't matter to me at all though, if they get to lift the thing at all, I'm happy.

Reactions: luiginb

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Pretty sure Hellebuyck gets it after Scheifele if the Jets are fortunate enough to win.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
with about a zero % chance of it happening

Ovi either gives it to Oshie/Carlson for some Vet Heroics or maybe even Patches. My bet is it will be Beck Malenstyn after his out of nowhere 13 goal playoff performance:sarcasm:

In honesty if the miracle happened I would guess Lindgren since it will be 1000% his doing

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
For Edmonton it will most likely be Hopkins just out of respect. In 1990 Adam Graves got the Cup after Messier just because he was 1st in line, I doubt it was for a specific reason. Maybe teams organize it more now, not sure I haven't really paid attention to a Cup celebration in over 30 years.

Last edited:

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Another cool one for Toronto though not likely first is Muzzin.

Was a warrior for them. Still under contract. Gotta imagine he would throw on the equipment and join the party on the ice, there is no cap in the playoffs after all 😉

popo

Aug 9, 2005
For Edmonton it will most likely be Hopkins just out of respect. In 1990 Adam Graves got the Cup after Messier just because he was 1st in line, not for any reason. Maybe teams organize it more now, not sure I haven't really paid attention to a Cup celebration in over 30 years.
And because Graves was seen as Messier's protege.

Famously in 1987 Gretzky first handed the Cup to Steve Smith. Smith had been the scape goat for costing them a game 7 loss in 1986.

We also think of Ray Bourque getting the Cup first while in Colorado.

Reactions: DaveG

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Justin Annunen after he wins the Conn Smythe. Then he only passes it to fellow Fins, so Rants and Lekhy.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Respect your elders.
This statement on it's own is one of the dumbest you can make. Plenty of elders are morons, why should I respect someone just because they've been a moron for longer than the next guy?

Watering respect down to a single number is foolish. So many things go into determining if I respect someone, and how much I respect them.

What if that 36 year old player has only played 300 NHL games and has a history of being a dirty player? Doesn't matter, he was born first and so he has 36 respect points. The 28 year old with 700 games played that doesn't board players from behind simply doesn't compare, he only has 28 respect points.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
This statement on it's own is one of the dumbest you can make. Plenty of elders are morons, why should I respect someone just because they've been a moron for longer than the next guy?

Watering respect down to a single number is foolish. So many things go into determining if I respect someone, and how much I respect them.

What if that 36 year old player has only played 300 NHL games and has a history of being a dirty player? Doesn't matter, he was born first and so he has 36 respect points. The 28 year old with 700 games played that doesn't board players from behind simply doesn't compare, he only has 28 respect points.
Speaking of morons……..

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
And because Graves was seen as Messier's protege.

Famously in 1987 Gretzky first handed the Cup to Steve Smith. Smith had been the scape goat for costing them a game 7 loss in 1986.

We also think of Ray Bourque getting the Cup first while in Colorado.
Maybe they did want to hand it off to someone from the kid line purposely due to their effort in the playoffs but it was Graves first season on the team and they still had a number of vets on the team so who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad