Speculation: Your team: Sell the farm for a Cup next season

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hi all,

Wanted to ask fans what it would look like if their team was given a 'win-now' mandate. If you were GM and told to sell the farm and go all-in for a cup next season, what would you do. I did this a year or two ago, and it was fun, especially to look back on.

I want to hear speculation from fans of all teams. If nothing mattered beyond next season, how many chips do you have to push on to the table? What can your picks and best prospects bring in? What positions would you need to fill to be legit contenders? And who could fill those positions? How drastic an overhaul would be needed?

Most important: Do you think you would be a contender?

Only real rules I want to make are: 1) No ridiculous trade ideas, like some random prospect and a 1st for OEL or something. and 2) you can spend to the cap, even if your team has an internal budget in real life.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think there is any move that makes the Devils are cup contender next year.

Something like the Severson + Zacha + 2018 1st for Doughty might be close, but even then, the Devils would be banking on Hischier, McLeod, Speers, and Quenneville to make a serious impact next year and guys like Wood, Blandisi, Lappin, or Noesen to turn into strong bottom-six players.

DonnyG33

Apr 13, 2015
Toronto
If the Sens were willing to spend to the cap and use Chabot/White/Brown to get a true 1C (Tavares, not Duchene) then they should be a lock for the Atlantic and a good crack at the East.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Hi all,

Wanted to ask fans what it would look like if their team was given a 'win-now' mandate. If you were GM and told to sell the farm and go all-in for a cup next season, what would you do. I did this a year or two ago, and it was fun, especially to look back on.

I want to hear speculation from fans of all teams. If nothing mattered beyond next season, how many chips do you have to push on to the table? What can your picks and best prospects bring in? What positions would you need to fill to be legit contenders? And who could fill those positions? How drastic an overhaul would be needed?

Most important: Do you think you would be a contender?

Only real rules I want to make are: 1) No ridiculous trade ideas, like some random prospect and a 1st for OEL or something. and 2) you can spend to the cap, even if your team has an internal budget in real life.

Stars could maybe make a move for a better left dman, but honestly I think they're set. I'd like to see how the defense plays out underneath Hitchcock and in front of Bishop.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Skinner - X - Stempniak
Aho - Staal - Lindholm
Teravainen - Rask - Williams
McGinn - Kruger - Nordstrom
2 of Di Giuseppe/Jooris/Ryan

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - Van Riemsdyk
Dahlbeck

Darling
Ward

The supporting cast up front, defense and hopefully goaltending is in place. All that's missing is that offensive centerpiece in the middle.

Carolina may not have an elite prospect, but there are a number of good to very good ones in the system (Bean, Fleury, Necas, Roy, Gauthier, etc.)

Bean + Roy/Gauthier + 1st (Unprotected) + for Carter/Duchene/Tavares at the deadline gives Carolina a chance to sneak up on Washington and Pittsburgh in the Metro bracket, imo.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Pens need a 3C. Other than that they really don't need to make any moves, maybe some small upgrades at the deadline.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
No. Because I don't think Columbus is close enough to a cup contender to warrant going for it yet. Maybe next year

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Alex DeBrincat, Lucas Carlsson and 1st for Jacob Trouba.

Jokiharju, Snuggerud, Sikura and 2nd for Max Pacioretty.

Nelther of those isn't happening, Chevy or Bergevin wouldn't do it. But that is the best I can think right now which would put us over the top.

Saad - Toews - Panik
Pacioretty - Schmaltz - Kane
Sharp - Anisimov - Hartman
Kero - Dauphin - Wingels

Keith - Murphy
Forsling - Trouba
Kempny - Seabrook

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Skinner - X - Stempniak
Aho - Staal - Lindholm
Teravainen - Rask - Williams
McGinn - Kruger - Nordstrom
2 of Di Giuseppe/Jooris/Ryan

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - Van Riemsdyk
Dahlbeck

Darling
Ward

The supporting cast up front, defense and hopefully goaltending is in place. All that's missing is that offensive centerpiece in the middle.

Hey, uh.. you know that Lee Stempniak is your top line RW right?

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Alex DeBrincat, Lucas Carlsson and 1st for Jacob Trouba.

Jokiharju, Snuggerud, Sikura and 2nd for Max Pacioretty.

Nelther of those isn't happening, Chevy or Bergevin wouldn't do it. But that is the best I can think right now which would put us over the top.

Saad - Toews - Panik
Pacioretty - Schmaltz - Kane
Sharp - Anisimov - Hartman
Kero - Dauphin - Wingels

Keith - Murphy
Forsling - Trouba
Kempny - Seabrook

who the heck are those guys, never heard of them...and you patches for them lol

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Labanc + Meier + Roy + 1st + 2nd for John Tavares

Sign Jagr

Hertl-Thornton-Pavs
Boedker-Tavares-Donskoi
Hansen-Couture-Jagr
Karlsson-Tierney-Ward

Martin-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Dillon-Heed

That center depth is ridiculous.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
We're pretty low on draft picks so that makes some trades hard to do

Priority #1 would be to upgrade the starting goalie. I'd go all-in for Cory Schneider - not sure how the Devils value the Flames' prospects, but hopefully some combination of Parsons, Andersson, and/or Jankowski gets the conversation started.

Next, I'd dump Brouwer's & Smith's contract's. Maybe Brouwer + Kylington for a 7th to Vegas? I'm sure you could find a taker for Smith for a mid-late pick.

My last trade I'd offer a combination of literally anything else in the system for the best winger I could get. Some 2018 UFAs include JVR, Atkinson, Hornqvist, Stone, or for cheaper options Vrbata, Cammelleri, or Jokinen. So whatever I could get for Valimaki + Fox + Gillies as the centerpieces.

Throw in the 2019 1st into whichever trade it's needed for.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
JVR-Bennett-Versteeg
Lazar-Stajan-Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Schneider
Lack

As long as JVR+Bennett work well together we can roll 3 scoring lines and a decent energy line. As long as Brodie+Hamonic mesh we can give the top 2 pairs 25 minutes a night and shelter the 3rd pair. And behind it all you've got an elite goalie who can win games by himself if the team has an off night.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For Dallas it would be trading for an Elite LHD. We would have to trade Hieskanen in a package for sure.

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Janmark - Hanzal - Spezza
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
Shore - Dickinson - Pitlick
McKenzie - Cracknell

OEL/Mcdonagh/Ect - Klingberg
Methot - Honka
Lindell - Johns
Oleksiak

Bishop
Lehtonen

Some variation of Heiskanen, Guryanov, Tufte, Hintz would have to be going the other way.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fabbro+Kamenev+Toivanen for Duchene and a small plus

Major overpayment and absolutely guts our prospect pool, but Johansen, Duchene, Bonino down the middle and our top 4 can get the job done.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
for habs, who need a top 6 centre and an offensive first-pairing LHD:

juulsen and 2018 1st for henrique
galchenyuk, mccarron, scherbak and 2019 1st for OEL

neither of these trades will ever happen, especially the OEL trade but the value is getting kinda close right?

projected lineup:

pacioretty - henrique - gallagher
drouin - plekanec - lehkonen
byron - danault - shaw
de la rose/martinsen/carr/terry - mitchell - hemsky

OEL - weber
alzner - petry
benn - schlemko
davidson/streit

price
montoya

still no clear #1 centre but this team would be a cup contender for sure

edit: okay maybe it would be too much to ask for OEL who is 100% off the table for any trade where there's no top-pairing defenseman coming back but maybe targeting a lesser guy like gostisbehere instead? would that be realistic enough?

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers don't have enough farm talent to push them into a cup favorite, let alone a guarantee.

To sort of answer your question - winning the cup is pretty special and never a guarantee, if selling the farm resulted in the Rangers winning the cup, I'd sell the entire farm and any roster player standing on it.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Tampa: This is fun.

Raddysh+1st+Koekkoek+Killorn+Stephens+Yan+Hajek for Ekman-Larsson (retained)
Foote+2019 1st+Joseph+Erne for Duchene (retained) and Greer
Greer+Callahan for Hurricanes 7th
Coburn+Cernak+2nd for Montour
Sergachev for Drouin ;)
Cirelli+2019 2nd+2020 2nd for Galchenyuk
Lipanov+Volkov+Howden for Trouba

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Galchenyuk-Duchene-Point
Palat-Johnson-Namestnikov
Kunitz-Gourde-Conacher

Hedman-Dotchin
OEL-Stralman
Montour-Trouba

Vasilevskiy
Budaj

idk

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Lol, unless we can sell our souls for a time machine and jump 6-7 of our prospects/youngsters ahead 4 years we don't have the parts to trade to make us cup contenders next year

BTW, this is for the Flyers

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Rangers don't have enough farm talent to push them into a cup favorite, let alone a guarantee.

To sort of answer your question - winning the cup is pretty special and never a guarantee, if selling the farm resulted in the Rangers winning the cup, I'd sell the entire farm and any roster player standing on it.

Lias Andersson alone could probably fetch you a pretty good return.

Leafs626364

Jul 12, 2007
Barrie, ON
Sign Jagr
JVR + 2019 2nd for De Haan
Brown + Bracco + Dermott + 2018 1st + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd for Doughty

Marleau Matthews Marner
Jagr Bozak Nylander
Komorov Kadri Kapenan
Hyman Moore Martin
Soshnikov Leivo

Rielly Doughty
Gardiner De Haan
Hainsey Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersson
Mac

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There's nothing wrong with Stempniak as the 3rd wheel on that line, particularly considering that it allows Carolina to have 2 full, quality middle-6 lines to go behind it.

Yeah, but if we're talking fantasyland here why not upgrade 1C and get a top line or legit power forward as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad