Your Summer Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can you bank on 15 for Nash? 20 for Tlusty? 30 for Staal? 30 for Semin? 20 for Lindholm?

I'm not so sure. I agree, though, that it's not a bad line-up. But throw in an injury, someone having an off year, etc., and suddenly it looks quite a bit worse.

IMO, I don't think you need all those guys to hit all those numbers though. The problem is this year, basically all but one of those guys failed to hit those numbers (and some were significantly off). Chances are, 1 or 2 of them won't meet those numbers as that's typical, but that's ok as long as the rest don't also fail to achieve.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Who said any of that?

Muller said that they have Skinner-Nash-Lindholm penciled in to start training camp next season.

I doubt that's what Rocky was referring to, but more important people than us (for now) have grand plans for him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well he did score almost 25 points and is signed for next year, so I figured he'd factor in somehow. But his salary is low enough where they can bury him if they find an upgrade.

My hope too is that Skinner/Staal/Lindholm can work out the kinks. I don't hate Nash on the 3rd line. It's still the same, soft team, but at least the top six would be a legitimate top six.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Who said any of that?

Muller said that they have Skinner-Nash-Lindholm penciled in to start training camp next season.

I doubt that's what Rocky was referring to, but more important people than us (for now) have grand plans for him.

it was part of what I was referring to, and just the overall gist from comments soon as he had a couple decent games and played the PP. it seems pretty evident to me that they view him as one of the up and coming 'young guys' that greatly improved just like Skinner and Lindholm.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I want JR and Muller gone, sooner than later. Every day that goes by that they're not officially out of the picture, sends me deeper and deeper into panic mode.

I'm not as down on Ron Francis as others are. Just because he's an insider doesn't mean he's going to run things the same way JR did. He's fully capable of changing everything about the way this franchise does business from top to bottom if he wants. He's established himself as a low-key, deliberate, thoughtful player, but he was also quick and decisive when he knew what he wanted. And I think he knows who he wants to be his coach and I think he should get him as opposed to wasting the entire offseason, training camp, preseason and first XX games of next season on a lame-duck Muller who has virtually no chance to get an extension.

I think talking about swapping in fringe guys for other fringe guys is a waste of time and energy. The biggest change that needs to happen here is a change in the culture, and a few players here and there aren't going to do it. A banging fourth line and another defenseman (so we can allow Harrison to phase himself out) would be nice, but neither are even close to our biggest problem right now.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Francis as the new GM
Keep the #7 and draft one of Ritchie, Fleury, Virtanen, or Tuch in that order of preference for me
Keep the #37 and draft one of Karlsson, Kempe, Vrana, De Angelo, Peters, or Demko in no order of preference
Try to trade Cam to Winnipeg in a deal for the rights to Burmi.

If we keep everything else as is:

Setoguchi and an upgrade at #4 dman (Morris, Meszaros)

If we trade Cam:

Callahan and Gilbert, and seeing Giguere come full circle to be our backup would be a nice touch

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think talking about swapping in fringe guys for other fringe guys is a waste of time and energy. The biggest change that needs to happen here is a change in the culture, and a few players here and there aren't going to do it.

Quoted For Truth (tm).

--hank

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If the Canes trade Cam, they damn well better have a solid plan in place for a viable back-up. I like Dobby, but he's now played 1 partial season (in which he spent a couple months on IR) as a #1. If they trade Ward and don't have a REAL NHL level back-up, we risk throwing away yet another season with 1 injury (or if Dobby struggles)

EDIT: I'm not saying don't trade Ward, just that this past season was the first in a long time that they had a viable back-up to start the year so there needs to be a plan here.

And I agree with Kev's comment re: Culture change

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I want to see E Staal shipped out (and somehow Jordan is not livid about it), Muller kept, keep the #7 pick and use it on a defenseman, and re-sign Gerbe, Hainsey, and the Derek Morris-type defenseman earlier mentioned. As for Ward, I'm not sure. He seemed to regain his game in the last four or five starts. I don't know what to do with him.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Jordan-Nash-Lotkionav-Malholtra down the middle?

The return for Eric would have to be pretty meaningful or the team would turn into Nashville without the defense.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The extreme lack of center depth leads to the reason we can't ship Eric or Jordan away and also why they won't play together for more than a game or two.

The issue I see is Jordan is so good defensively, you don't wanna put him on your top line, thus playign with his brother at wing will never work.

In a perfect world I would love to see Semin shipped off for a 3 - 4 million dollar scoring 3rd center and a big 4th line guy.

But then that leaves a big gap in the power play. As bad as the PP was, the only bright stop was Semin's wrister from the faceoff circle and the choas his presence woudl sometimes cause.

Honestly this team is a complete wreck and every single move, execpt trading Ward, creates another issue (well this creates an issue of backup goalie and putting faith in Dobby, but that is the least risky move I feel). This is why we are where we are. There just isn't one simple move like there has seemed to be the last few off seasons.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
But then that leaves a big gap in the power play. As bad as the PP was, the only bright stop was Semin's wrister from the faceoff circle and the choas his presence woudl sometimes cause.

I disagree. Skinner was more of a brightspot on the PP. He had 20 PP points vs. 12 for Semin in almost identical PP TOI. The brightest spot for me on the PP was how effective the 2nd unit with Skinner, Lindholm, Nash, Loktionov and Harrison looked at the end of the season.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I disagree. Skinner was more of a brightspot on the PP. He had 20 PP points vs. 12 for Semin in almost identical PP TOI. The brightest spot for me on the PP was how effective the 2nd unit with Skinner, Lindholm, Nash, Loktionov and Harrison looked at the end of the season.

That's fair.

Basically, I think the only players who are locks to be here next year are Faulk and Lindholm.

I think theres aother similiar sized list of players who would trade for a blockbuster deal, but likely will be here. And that list is Skinner, Khudobin, Murphy (only b/c of age) and Sekera.

After that, literally every player on the roster is fair game and could be moved.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
That's fair.

Basically, I think the only players who are locks to be here next year are Faulk and Lindholm.

I think theres aother similiar sized list of players who would trade for a blockbuster deal, but likely will be here. And that list is Skinner, Khudobin, Murphy (only b/c of age) and Sekera.

After that, literally every player on the roster is fair game and could be moved.

Why on earth would we trade khudobin? Even if it's to fill another area of need it opens up a hole in net for us. I'm not comfortable with ward as starter at this point.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'd like them to pick up someone like Vrbata, Niskanen or another D that can slot in the top 4, ship off Cam, pick up a back up like Bryz, keep Gerbe, Malholtra and Dwyer and find a hard hitting bottom 6 guy, keep Lokti.

So:
Skinner / Eric / Lindholm
Vrbata / Jordan / Semin
Tlusty / Lokti / Gerbe
Nash / Malholtra / Dwyer
Boychuk / Ritchie or some big guy that hits a lot.

Sekera / Niskanen
Hainsey / Faulk
Harrison / Liles
Bellemore / Murphy

Dobby
Bryz

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'd like them to pick up multiple players that might make body contact. Even by accident.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Jordan-Nash-Lotkionav-Malholtra down the middle?

The return for Eric would have to be pretty meaningful or the team would turn into Nashville without the defense.

I imagine you could get a 1B type center AND a meaningful winger for E Staal.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Why on earth would we trade khudobin? Even if it's to fill another area of need it opens up a hole in net for us. I'm not comfortable with ward as starter at this point.

Like I said, only in the case of a Blockbuster.

I would say he's probably close to the untouchable list, but there are scenarios it would make sense.

I would say the chances that Lindholm, Faulk, Skinner, Sekera, Murphy and Dobby are all here next year is gotta be near 100%.

All I was saying was that after that, I don't see a single player that we wouldn't move. But if you were to make an untouchable list, the only names would be Faulk and Lindholm.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Skinner ($5.725M) / Eric ( $8.25M)/ Lindholm ($.925M) = $14.925M
Vrbata($3M?) / Jordan ($6M) / Semin ($7M) = $16M
Tlusty($2M) / Lokti($1M?) / Gerbe ($.9M?) = $3.9M
Nash ($.575M)/ Malholtra ($.750M?) / Dwyer ($.9M) = $2.25M
Boychuk ($.6M) / Ritchie ($.8M) or some big guy that hits a lot = $1.4M

Sekera ($2.75M) / Niskanen ($6M) = $8.75M
Hainsey ($2.75M?) / Faulk ($4.83M) = $7.58M
Harrison / Liles = $5.375M
Bellemore / Murphy = $1.6M

Dobby: $2.25M
Bryz: $2.0M

Buyouts / salary retained:
Ruutu: .950M
Ward(?) 1.575M (25%)

Total estimated cap hit for that line-up: $69M.

I'd be very surprised if the Canes came out of the shoot with a cap hit within $2M of the projected Cap of $71M this next season, but I could be wrong. Now maybe some of my estimates are off, but usually we under-estimate what guys end up getting paid, particularly if they have to be incented to come to Carolina.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Total estimated cap hit for that line-up: $69M.

I'd be very surprised if the Canes came out of the shoot with a cap hit within $2M of the projected Cap of $71M this next season, but I could be wrong. Now maybe some of my estimates are off, but usually we under-estimate what guys end up getting paid, particularly if they have to be incented to come to Carolina.

I knew it would be close, but if you get someone cheaper then Niskanen at 3m that's 5m off the cap.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I imagine you could get a 1B type center AND a meaningful winger for E Staal.

Like Dubinsky and Ansimov for Nash type deal? It'd be interesting to see what was offered. I suspect Kadri, Gardiner, and a first is on the table!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad