Your Summer Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
It's when you saddle a center like Jordan with the likes of Dwyer that things look out of whack. Is Jordan the #1 center? The #2 center? Or the #3 center? If you're going to stick with the attempts to get Jordan going with Semin, Skinner, etc then Dwyer has no business on those lines. Dwyer is a 4th line guy on this team. It's the overslotting that makes people scratch their heads in puzzlement.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I guess we can all agree that depth is much needed. My wishlist:
Draft: 1st round-Ritchie, 3rd round-Brendan Lemieux
Free agency: Carcillo for the 4th line/13th forward, Downie for 3rd line, re-sign Manny, re-sign Hainsey, re-sign RFAs in Tlusty/Loktionov/Gerbe. If Hainsey can't be re-signed maybe test the waters on Nikitin or Matt Greene.
Trades: See if there is a deal to be made with Winnipeg around Ward/picks/prospects and EKane(probably not but this is a wish list after all).

This is my thinking for the lines:

Skinner-EStaal-Lindholm
Tlusty-JStaal-Semin
Gerbe-Nash/Loktionov-Downie
Carcillo-Manny-Dwyer

Sekera-Faulk
Hainsey-?
Liles-Greene
Harrison

Anton
Tim Thomas (Probably Justin Peters though)

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
I'd be for signing Downie if I didn't hate him so much. Then again, things have been quiet around him for a while now, so maybe he's cleaned up his act. Either way, he'd improve the team.

On another note, I think this team can succeed with Eric as the top guy. It's just that his salary, and that of Ward, limits the depth so much.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm fine with him on the 4th line.

Not on the 3rd.

Honestly that ends up being semantics to me. There will always be injuries during the season and even if he is slotted on the 4th line, he has the flexibility to not hurt or be a liability on the 3rd line. I'm ok with him flipping back and forth depending on the chemistry and what the coach is trying to achieve and injuries.

I don't like seeing him in the top 6.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Carcillo, Downey, Penner????? some of you are nuts.... and when Cooke may have been available most said no thanks :shakehead.

Now look what you guys did. You made me agree with Rocky.

I have no idea how anyone could want Penner when the biggest complaint on this board is our captain being "lazy". And Carcillo and Downey are on their 4th/5th teams for a reason.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think Dustin Penner is a good hockey player, underrated even. Granted, his sojourn with the Capitals was not very successful, but the Caps are a mess anyway, and did I mention he'll be cheap? That's not irrelevant.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Honestly that ends up being semantics to me. There will always be injuries during the season and even if he is slotted on the 4th line, he has the flexibility to not hurt or be a liability on the 3rd line. I'm ok with him flipping back and forth depending on the chemistry and what the coach is trying to achieve and injuries.

I don't see how it's semantics.
I want a 3rd line that is not well defined by the phrase "not a liability". A 3rd line that can actually influence the outcome of a hockey game. This is a facet of most playoff teams.

I am fine with giving that definition to the 4th line.

Put another way; I want this team to acquire enough depth to push Dwyer to the 4th line, when healthy.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't see how it's semantics.
I want a 3rd line that is not well defined by the phrase "not a liability". A 3rd line that can actually influence the outcome of a hockey game. This is a facet of most playoff teams.

I am fine with giving that definition to the 4th line.

Put another way; I want this team to acquire enough depth to push Dwyer to the 4th line, when healthy.

Ok, whatever. I have no problem with a team that has Dwyer on the 4th line, but occasionally has to move to the 3rd line when needed if there are injuries.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think Dustin Penner is a good hockey player, underrated even. Granted, his sojourn with the Capitals was not very successful, but the Caps are a mess anyway, and did I mention he'll be cheap? That's not irrelevant.

I don't think he's a bad hockey player, I think he's terribly inconsistent, and at times very lazy and unmotivated. Not the type of player I want given the make-up of this team currently. If the rest of the team had a different make-up, he'd be ok, but not with what it is.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
I don't think he's a bad hockey player, I think he's terribly inconsistent, and at times very lazy and unmotivated. Not the type of player I want given the make-up of this team currently. If the rest of the team had a different make-up, he'd be ok, but not with what it is.

That's a fair point. There are plenty of players I'd rather have, but our position is what it is, our finances limited, and the pool of available players slight.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
actually if you slotted the guys being wrongly used in the top six down to the bottom six where they really belong, there isn't a problem with "depth" per se. they have the making of a good 3rd and 4th line. true top six players are Staal x2, Semin, Skinner.... Loktionov and Lindholm down the road maybe.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
They really aren't *that* far off up front:

Skinner (30) // Eric (30) // Lindholm (20)
Tlusty (20) // Jordan (20) // Semin (30)
Gerbe (15) // Loktionov (15) // Nash (15)
UFA (5) // Malhotra (5) // Dwyer (5)

That's 210 goals from the forwards alone, and numbers they "should" hit. For reference, they scored just 207 when including the defensemen this year. Replace whomever with UFAs or trades or whatever, but that's not a bad lineup if no one has an off year.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Can you bank on 15 for Nash? 20 for Tlusty? 30 for Staal? 30 for Semin? 20 for Lindholm?

I'm not so sure. I agree, though, that it's not a bad line-up. But throw in an injury, someone having an off year, etc., and suddenly it looks quite a bit worse.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Can you bank on 15 for Nash? 20 for Tlusty? 30 for Staal? 30 for Semin? 20 for Lindholm?

I'm not so sure. I agree, though, that it's not a bad line-up. But throw in an injury, someone having an off year, etc., and suddenly it looks quite a bit worse.

Bank on? Maybe not. But those are numbers they are capable of hitting, or, in the case of Nash, a 3rd line RW equivalent.

The depth is pretty poor, but that's a reflection on Charlotte. They should have young guys ready to step in with any injury, but instead they have career AHLers.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'd go a little more conservative on Nash (maybe 10), but otherwise I think every player can hit those numbers if they play to their potential and don't miss significant time. Someone would probably be a letdown, but with the slightest amount of luck, someone else would surprise us and pick up some of the slack. If we can get 200 from the forwards and 30-40 from the defense, we'll be in the top 10 in terms of GF.

Of course, that's easier said than done.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Big, meaty bottom six.

Bottom pairing defensemen who don't suck.

A coach who doesn't suck at drawing up a powerplay. Bye bye MacLean.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
so now that Nash played well in a few meaningless games at the end of a lost season, he's become a lock and an emerging leader.......yikes.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
They really aren't *that* far off up front:

Skinner (30) // Eric (30) // Lindholm (20)
Tlusty (20) // Jordan (20) // Semin (30)
Gerbe (15) // Loktionov (15) // Nash (15)
UFA (5) // Malhotra (5) // Dwyer (5)

That's 210 goals from the forwards alone, and numbers they "should" hit. For reference, they scored just 207 when including the defensemen this year. Replace whomever with UFAs or trades or whatever, but that's not a bad lineup if no one has an off year.

If Skinner/Eric/Lindholm could work, that would really change things. Fingers crossed this is the summer that Skinner's defensive instincts kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad