Equipment: Your recent purchases

WeakTalocrural

Dec 30, 2012
NY
First off, wanted to say this is a great message board. Since I got the Hockey bug a month or so ago, been lurking here for research. My first class/scrimmage is a week from today. It is a beginner Adult Hockey class at a local rink. I did not go too crazy on the equipment. I figured the Vapor 5.0 level gear will be a good start. My skates are only 2.0's for now.

Here is what my wife let me pick up today. Got most of the stuff I need for next week!

WP_20121230_002_zpsfc231a3d.jpg

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
First off, wanted to say this is a great message board. Since I got the Hockey bug a month or so ago, been lurking here for research. My first class/scrimmage is a week from today. It is a beginner Adult Hockey class at a local rink. I did not go too crazy on the equipment. I figured the Vapor 5.0 level gear will be a good start. My skates are only 2.0's for now.

Here is what my wife let me pick up today. Got most of the stuff I need for next week!

WP_20121230_002_zpsfc231a3d.jpg

Your a walking Bauer ad! lol.

In reality though I hope you enjoy the class and learn quick. I was bit by the same bug late last year and have been having the time of my life. May I ask how much you spent? Hope not too much!

WeakTalocrural

Dec 30, 2012
NY
Your a walking Bauer ad! lol.

In reality though I hope you enjoy the class and learn quick. I was bit by the same bug late last year and have been having the time of my life. May I ask how much you spent? Hope not too much!

Haha..yeah Bauer overload. To be honest, Bauer is all I really know from playing Hockey with my friends when I was younger. I had Bauer Turbo skates, although I am not sure I should admit that I owned those. :laugh:

Aside from the skates, I got everything in that pic for $360.00. Hopefully it holds together for what I am sure is going to be a lot of time sliding down the ice. lol

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
With the excitement of the NHL coming back I decided to pick up a new pair of skates.

RBK 20K with the holders changed up for Custom 652 tongues along with Tuuk Lightspeed 2 holders. From what I hear the RBK holders are junk and the new tongues will get rid of lace bite. Can't wait to pick them up tomorrow!

Aucoin11*

Brian's Focus
Sherwood g7000 stick, hopefully this one doesn't explode after a month and a half like my 9950. My last two sherwoods have had pitiful durability, which is odd considering how tankish they were for me before that.
Van Velden Mask
PAW knee pads, not a huge fan of these so far. Not really seeing the insane amount of hype they've been getting. They're pretty big and obtrusive. I prefer my vaughns so far.
Waxed laces.

Got to really give a hand to total hockey here. We had one open up around us recently and I ordered the g7000 stick through them. I was told it would be 50 bucks, ended up being 20 with their hockey green thing.

I'm actually considering stocking up on sticks and using this BOGO5030 to get a pair of 5030s for 30 bucks. Though that stick is fairly crappy.

I'm starting to think total's deals are actually better than hockey monkey's.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
With the excitement of the NHL coming back I decided to pick up a new pair of skates.

RBK 20K with the holders changed up for Custom 652 tongues along with Tuuk Lightspeed 2 holders. From what I hear the RBK holders are junk and the new tongues will get rid of lace bite. Can't wait to pick them up tomorrow!

Aha if everyone had your attitude, Jan-Feb wouldn't be the slowest months in hockey retail...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Total is great, I've bought nearly all my gear in the last year through them. Including the Miken Z9 today...that's a pair of shoulders, pair of gloves, two sticks, a shaft, a few blades, pair of pants, lots of tape and little stuff, a Wild jersey, random hockey crap for my kid...I just really like the store, makes it easy to spend money :laugh:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Skated with the Skatefenders for the first time last night. Didnt even notice they were there.

Didnt take any pucks off them so cant say how they work.

So its been a few games now with the SkateFenders and Ive taken a few pucks off them. Havent felt a thing and they arent cumbersome in the least.

Needless to say they are fantastic and I wont be playing without them ever again.

I get lots of questions when people notice them. :laugh:

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
Easton Synergy EQ20 Skates

I had some nice CCM 325(?) Super Tacks with the Pro-Lite 3 Blade Holders and used them for about 50 skate sessions. The front section of the blade holder cracked and broke some pieces off – DANG! I now see the Pro-Lite 3 blade holders are pretty notorious for breaking pretty easily. I really liked the skates up until then. The blade holders were about $25 per side and I was worried they would snap again so I bought a new pair of skates.

I tired on several mid entry-level skates including the Bauer Vapors (2,3 and 4) and thought they were the most uncomfortable skate for my foot shape. I then decided to try some Easton Synergy EQ20’s and fell in love! Talk about comfort!

They were a $125 (ish) skate on sale for $70. Most places seem to offer this price. Anyhow, for my needs they are fine. I only have about 5 sessions on them and I am still getting used to them. First time out was a bit tough since I came to know where I could “push†my old skates and where they would support me. Tried the same sharp turns and pivots on these new skates and got tripped up a bit. Also not sure how good the 19 year old skate sharpening guru was at putting the initial edge on these.

Comfort and fit is still really good. They do seem to offer a bit more “shallow†boot. Not sure what I think of this. I like the tongue. Nicely padded and has a surface that keeps the laces snug while lacing up the skates.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Got a bunch of random stuff over the weekend:

- Black and white grip tape
- New suspenders (lost the old ones)
- Bauer 120" white unwaxed laces
- Jr wood blade (Hall) for an old flipped SE16 intermediate

- Mako wood blade (Forsberg), which I heated up, opened up the face a bit, and added some toe:

536920_10152450435155099_39215857_n.jpg

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
So its been a few games now with the SkateFenders and Ive taken a few pucks off them. Havent felt a thing and they arent cumbersome in the least.

Needless to say they are fantastic and I wont be playing without them ever again.

I get lots of questions when people notice them. :laugh:

Took a blast square to the side of my ankle from our dman, who played junior with the likes of the Hossas, Gaborik, and Kopecky. Didnt feel anything other than the pressure. If i hadnt been wearing them id have been on the ice.

Absolutely worth if anyones thinking of them.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Thanks guys. I also have a new pair of Bauer pro goalie pants in my club's colors.

Just pulled the trigger on the new Graf cowlings for my Goaler Pro 750s.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
sick gear. specs?

i am surprised you went with the matrix gloves. what made you go with the matrix gloves over the 997 ones? i have heard great things about the 99x series gloves....

Pads are 34+2.

Glove is the 997, the blocker is a Matrix. Glove feels just awesome and has a new lining in it to help prevent slippage.

Matrix blocker is lighter and great for paddle down.

I Am Score*

I really hope Hockey Monkey doesn't screw me over on shipping though.

Their prices are pretty good and they've got a good enough selection. It's estimated to be 4 days shipping to Northern Virginia but that always ends up being lower or more.

Have you guys ordered from them and how good are they?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I really hope Hockey Monkey doesn't screw me over on shipping though.

Their prices are pretty good and they've got a good enough selection. It's estimated to be 4 days shipping to Northern Virginia but that always ends up being lower or more.

Have you guys ordered from them and how good are they?

I get **** shipped from them to the middle east all the time. Theyre great. No issues and usually less than a week.

I Am Score*

I get **** shipped from them to the middle east all the time. Theyre great. No issues and usually less than a week.

Thanks man helps alot haha

Yeah they look like a solid company. I've had issues with Total Hockey employees as major douches and have no idea what they're talking about sometimes.

If you're right they are a keeper.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Thanks man helps alot haha

Yeah they look like a solid company. I've had issues with Total Hockey employees as major douches and have no idea what they're talking about sometimes.

If you're right they are a keeper.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Total Hockey. I also find that they ship much faster than Hockey Monkey. Add to that their loyalty program and I'll stick with Total Hockey. I've already earned over a $100 in credit.

I Am Score*

I've had nothing but good experiences with Total Hockey. I also find that they ship much faster than Hockey Monkey. Add to that their loyalty program and I'll stick with Total Hockey. I've already earned over a $100 in credit.

They always seem to be out of stock on popular things though.

They have alot more than Hockey Monkey but when they do have something like a Bauer Total One or a Warrior Widow it's super overpriced.

We'll see how Hockey Monkey ships until I can compare the two haha.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Stopped by Pro Hockey Life today. It's amazing how many Bauer X:50's they still have left.

Picked one up. $135 after sales tax, which isn't that bad in my opinion. The one I purchased was a 77 flex senior. Next pay check I definitely think I'll buy a 67 flex X:50. Great sticks.

img0026kk.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad