Your (Projected) '17-'18 Lineup

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So why is LV picking up Pouliot again? The guy will be 31 before the next season starts, coming off a 14pt season, 0pts in 13 playoffs games and makes a lot of money for the next few yrs.

Eberle for picks + prospect: Name me one team other than LV that can take on Eberle's contract and can give picks\prospects back. Realistically we should be expecting someone like Clowe/Kovalchuk, Lehtonen or Bjugstad coming our way if shipping Ebs out.

Orlov - top 3 Dman for the best team in the league. He will cost more than picks and he would not be #6 in Edmonton. Pretty sure he is a LD as well.

Edmonton doesn't have many options for Vegas. Basically its Pouliot or Reinhart IMO. And Pouliot actually finished the regular season okay, and showed that he can be a good penalty killer. Overpaid? Absolutely, but Vegas doesn't have to worry about that for the next 2 years. Give them a pick and they might take ol' Pou.

Eberle will not be traded for picks. You're correct, I have Eberle+ coming for Bjugstad and Petrovic personally (probably stretching by including Petro)

As per Orlov, I think that one is a longshot, but Washington is going to have a tough decision when it comes to their blueline. Not counting Shattenkirk, who they will let walk as a free agent, they have to protect Orpik if he doesn't waive his NTC, and both Niskanen and Carlson are better and more important players to their team. Orlov might have to be left available. The crazy part though, is I don't think Washington trades Orlov because Grubauer is also going to be available and I would think that he would be near the top of the available goalies list. I think Washington almost wants Grubauer gone so they have room to bring Varlamov in as Holtby's backup.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Chia pretty much confrimed today that he wants to let this team evolve one more season.

I dont think we will see big changes at all this summer. Think about it, it makes sense. This group loves to play for each other, as proven this year. Miight see a couple small moves, but I think we will roughly see the same team as last year.

People dont want to hear that but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Can always add at the deadline next year.

I would add some smaller pieces, maybe a vet on a 1 year deal. But I do agree with building this core first and foremost. He echoed this same thing this past TDL as well

My gut feeling is the Sekera injury really isnt as concerning to Chia as we think. He already think really highly of Benning and challenging him in top 4 is appealing to Chiarelli. He probaly alreayd had Benning moving up anyway

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Benning also had 4 years of college and is 22 years old. Bear and Jones are both 19, and fresh out of the Dub. Not a good comparison.

Only 3 years although I get where your coming from. But its not uncommon at all to see draft +3 D make jump from CHL to NHL with only a little bit of AHL time. Brandon Carlo is a good example this year

I doubt Bear will be able to do it (although who knows). But Jones already plays a very mature, smart game and has very few holes (Bear has skating and size concerns to deal with in AHL). To me Jones is the type of guy that will suprise

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I would add some smaller pieces, maybe a vet on a 1 year deal. But I do agree with building this core first and foremost. He echoed this same thing this past TDL as well

My gut feeling is the Sekera injury really isnt as concerning to Chia as we think. He already think really highly of Benning and challenging him in top 4 is appealing to Chiarelli. He probaly alreayd had Benning moving up anyway

Well what hee did mention is how good Nurse and Larrson looked together at times this year.

I think he thinks more highly of Nurse then Benning.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well what hee did mention is how good Nurse and Larrson looked together at times this year.

I think he thinks more highly of Nurse then Benning.

That came off as a pretty innocent comment I wouldnt read that much into it either way. Probably overall upside wise, I agree with that tho. Nurse has all the potential to be a top pairing or great #3. Id say immediate future wise Benning is better and more comfortable and more ability to play in top 4 than Nurse does. With Klefbom, Sekera/Russell our 2 LD are locked in

I see our D core next year as

AdamBomb
Russell-Benning (give Benning difficult minutes to start year till Sekera returns)
Nurse-Reinhart (Reinharts make or break year, give him a great chance)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
That came off as a pretty innocent comment I wouldnt read that much into it either way. Probably overall upside wise, I agree with that tho. Nurse has all the potential to be a top pairing or great #3. Id say immediate future wise Benning is better and more comfortable and more ability to play in top 4 than Nurse does. With Klefbom, Sekera/Russell our 2 LD are locked in

AdamBomb
Russell-Benning (give Benning difficult minutes to start year till Sekera returns)

Could seee it, could also see him switching it up next year if it doesnt work out right away.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Russell
Benning Reinhart/Gryba

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Could seee it, could also see him switching it up next year if it doesnt work out right away.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Russell
Benning Reinhart/Gryba

Thatd be extremely ballsy. To promote a 3rd pairing D over your entrenched top pairing D and outright best D from the year before in addition to breaking up one of more played together pairings would be ballsy. I love Nurse and think the world of his upside but if Nurse found his way on to the top pairing Id be seriously shocked. Would have to have a monster offseason

Like I said. That comment was made it reference to the young D and he was offering an example of possibility of them taking strides in next seasons

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Chia pretty much confrimed today that he wants to let this team evolve one more season.

I dont think we will see big changes at all this summer. Think about it, it makes sense. This group loves to play for each other, as proven this year. Miight see a couple small moves, but I think we will roughly see the same team as last year.

People dont want to hear that but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Can always add at the deadline next year.

He holds his cards pretty close to his chest though. He's not gonna tell the media much. This is a team that's ready to contend. He's gonna add the pieces that are required if the right deal is there. He also doesn't want other GM's to think that he's desperate to make a deal.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Caggiula - McDavid - Justin Williams
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
Maroon - Hanzal - Kassian
Khaira - Letestu - Pitlick

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Faulk
Benning - Nurse
Oesterle
Sekera (IR)

Talbot
Chad Johnson

Signed Williams, Hanzal and Johnson as UFA
Traded RNH, Jones and a 2018 2nd for Faulk
Traded Eberle for a early mid 2017 1st and a good prospect to boost forward group in system.
Lost Reinhart in expansion draft
Bought out Pouliot
Buried Fayne in minors.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He holds his cards pretty close to his chest though. He's not gonna tell the media much. This is a team that's ready to contend. He's gonna add the pieces that are required if the right deal is there. He also doesn't want other GM's to think that he's desperate to make a deal.

Agree. Also, regardless of what's going on with certain players, a 100 point/playoff team isn't desperate anymore.

The need to fill a gaping hole is not as bad as it was with Larsson, so imo he has more trading power now

People keep calling some of our assets busts or no value. Ya right. Ebs has as many points as Van's leading scorer. Dallas has Cracknell playing on the 2nd line.

There are some desperate teams out there right now who can't afford to waste contract years of some of their core players. We are no longer one of them

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I think Chia has been brutally honest every time he talks. Last year said there would be big changes. Did them. Trade deadline, said he wasnt going to go after a high end rental, didnt. Now today I got from 2 different interviews we will see mostly the same lineup. Sure we will lose a player in the draft, and no 3rd line center, so those are 2 replacements we will see. Gotta either sign Russell or replace him to.

I think if he doesnt try to improve his team hes not doing his job. This isnt NHL 2017 tough where you just think of something and make it happen.

Edit forgot when he took over he said we are going to get bigger first and foremost. Did that to

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think Chia has been brutally honest every time he talks. Last year said there would be big changes. Did them. Trade deadline, said he wasnt going to go after a high end rental, didnt. Now today I got from 2 different interviews we will see mostly the same lineup. Sure we will lose a player in the draft, and no 3rd line center, so those are 2 replacements we will see. Gotta either sign Russell or replace him to.

I think if he doesnt try to improve his team hes not doing his job. This isnt NHL 2017 tough where you just think of something and make it happen.

100%. He really has been forward with us from day 1

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
Kovy Mcdavid Maroon
Lucic Dra Eberle
Cags Bonino Sleppy
Khaira Letestu Kassian
Pitlick

Nurse Larson
Kelfbom Green
Russell Benning
Osterle Sekera (inj)

Talbot
Brossoit

Pouliot to LV (plus a pick)
RNH Reinhart to NJ for rights to Kovy, Mike Mcleod (2nd rd pick 2017)
1st 2017 Fayne to DET for Green
Resign Pitlick, Kharia, Kassian, Dra, Osterle
Sign Kovy, Bonino

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I only see a change or 2 happening .

Pouliot to Vegas . We will have to pay them . 2018 2nd maybe more

Hope Foo signs here . Not a prediction just hoping .

I can see Chia going after Stone . He an upgrade on Russell,s . There also was rumours that Russell was seeking over 4 million on a long term deal . This was reported around Christmas just after the rumour Russell was about to resign with the Oiler . Maybe it still happens and Chia help back base on expansion . But I think it more likely the asking price may have soured Chia on resigning him .

I also think Eberle will be a goner . TMac loves centres . Bjugstad would be a likely target . He a buy low guy . Big RS C and earns less then Eberle

I also can see Chia letting a few players/prospect walk . Opens up some contract spaces

Maroon McDavid Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl RNH
Slepyshev Bjugstad Kassian
Khaira Letestu Pitlick

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Stone until Sekera returns then Sekera Stone
Nurse Benning
Reinhart . Let Gryba walk .

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Maroon - McDavid - Eaves
Lucic - Draisaitl - Nuge
Caggiula - Grigorenko - Kassian
Pouliot - Letestu - Sleppy

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Barrie
Russel - Benning
Reinhardt

Talbot
Brossoit

Sign Eaves 4y x 4.5m
Trade Eberle + Nurse for Griggs & Barrie

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Maroon - McDavid - Eaves
Lucic - Draisaitl - Nuge
Caggiula - Grigorenko - Kassian
Pouliot - Letestu - Sleppy

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Barrie
Russel - Benning
Reinhardt

Talbot
Brossoit

Sign Eaves 4y x 4.5m
Trade Eberle + Nurse for Griggs & Barrie

Term too long for Eaves imo.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Maroon-McDavid-RH RW for McD
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Slepyshev-RNH-Strome
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Del Zotto-Pysyk
Nurse-Benning
(Sekera on IR)

Talbot
Brossoit

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

AdamBomb

Actually he repeated that he liked the Larsson Nurse pairing a couple more times, he mentioned it to Stauffer on a one one a few more times. I think it might have been more than just an innocent comment. You and I might think highly of Nurse but I think Chia might think of him even more so; wouldn't be surprised if his got a painting of him in his living room lol.

With that said, He's still got some ways to go in his development and don't think he's ready for top pairing. Klefbom is our number 1 D and I am sure him and Larsson are going to start out next year together.

I agree with most of your D pairing configuration but I am still not sold on Reinhart, especially on his offside. A lot of posters like to defer to the Drai scenario in terms of improving on skating/speed but in all honesty speed can't be taught. Reinhart was getting walked on a regular basis last year in preseason don't know how he'll be able to consistently defend against NHLers in the regular season. Hope I am wrong. Another thing to note is will he even be available as there's a good chance Vegas might take him in expansion.

I feel this opens the doors for Caleb Jones. Plays on his offside, has the speed to compete at the NHL, is a good defender (as demonstrated at the WJC) and is a good puck handler. He mentioned in an interview that he wants to make the team straight out of training camp with strong summer as well, so that's a little insight on his great attitude as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Actually he repeated that he liked the Larsson Nurse pairing a couple more times, he mentioned it to Stauffer on a one one a few more times. I think it might have been more than just an innocent comment. You and I might think highly of Nurse but I think Chia might think of him even more so; wouldn't be surprised if his got a painting of him in his living room lol.

With that said, He's still got some ways to go in his development and don't think he's ready for top pairing. Klefbom is our number 1 D and I am sure him and Larsson are going to start out next year together.

I agree with most of your D pairing configuration but I am still not sold on Reinhart, especially on his offside. A lot of posters like to defer to the Drai scenario in terms of improving on skating/speed but in all honesty speed can't be taught. Reinhart was getting walked on a regular basis last year in preseason don't know how he'll be able to consistently defend against NHLers in the regular season. Hope I am wrong. Another thing to note is will he even be available as there's a good chance Vegas might take him in expansion.

I feel this opens the doors for Caleb Jones. Plays on his offside, has the speed to compete at the NHL, is a good defender (as demonstrated at the WJC) and is a good puck handler. He mentioned in an interview that he wants to make the team straight out of training camp with strong summer as well, so that's a little insight on his great attitude as well.

Pretty much agree with this whole post

I didnt hear that, so maybe there is some merit to that. Thatd be a nasty shutdown duo. Chiarelli has turned down Nurse for Trouba and Hamilton deals so I agree he thinks highly of Nurse, likely more than anyone here

Reinhart I feel could play on that bottom pairing, I dont see a bright future for him but I do see a chance he can take that 3rd pairing role and do well. I also agree Jones has an outside shot of making it next year. He has few holes in his game and plenty of NHL qualities. At WJC he was relied on to be a defensive responsible D and did a great job, so I can see NHL coaches being comfortable with him from get go as he can play safe and smart. Reinhart vs Jones is likely a training camp battle. Edge should go to Reinhart since he requires waivers, needs a bit of chance to show himself and Jones can always go to AHL. But this is just as a tie breaker between the two. If Jones is better, play him

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well I definitely think Nurse has top-pairing potential, but Chiarelli probably thinks higher of him than I do too. However, I still like AdamBom together, I think I'd rather have Nurse be the force on another pairing. Divide the wealth. Plus I like the similarly-aged Swedes together.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Edmonton doesn't have many options for Vegas. Basically its Pouliot or Reinhart IMO. And Pouliot actually finished the regular season okay, and showed that he can be a good penalty killer. Overpaid? Absolutely, but Vegas doesn't have to worry about that for the next 2 years. Give them a pick and they might take ol' Pou.

I think they would gladly take Reinhart instead of "ol Pou" and lets say a 2nd round pick. The only possible way Pouliot would even look attractive to Vegas is if his contract was front loaded so his last 2 years of real salary were cheap. Unfortunately, he gets paid 4M a season so thats out the window.

Oiler fans can basically kiss Reinhart away

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Pretty much agree with this whole post

I didnt hear that, so maybe there is some merit to that. Thatd be a nasty shutdown duo. Chiarelli has turned down Nurse for Trouba and Hamilton deals so I agree he thinks highly of Nurse, likely more than anyone here

Reinhart I feel could play on that bottom pairing, I dont see a bright future for him but I do see a chance he can take that 3rd pairing role and do well. I also agree Jones has an outside shot of making it next year. He has few holes in his game and plenty of NHL qualities. At WJC he was relied on to be a defensive responsible D and did a great job, so I can see NHL coaches being comfortable with him from get go as he can play safe and smart. Reinhart vs Jones is likely a training camp battle. Edge should go to Reinhart since he requires waivers, needs a bit of chance to show himself and Jones can always go to AHL. But this is just as a tie breaker between the two. If Jones is better, play him
This is spot on.

When did we see the Nurse Larsson pairing during season? Was it when Russell got hurt? My memory says yes?

I recall him getting a quick look just before he got hurt. The other time is when he filled in for Klef in game 6 of the Anaheim series.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Line 1: Maroon - McDavid - Eaves

Line 2: Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev

Line 3: Versteeg - RNH - Puljujarvi

Line 4: Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian

D1: Klefbom - Larsson

D2: Sekera - Pysyk

D3: Nurse - Benning

G1: Talbot

G2: Brossoit

Basically, Eberle, Russell, and Pouliot out. Psysk, Versteeg and Eaves in.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd love to see Jagr in Oilers silks for a year. Probably not much left in the tank but I think he could be effective if used properly not to mention the experience and work ethic he has probably wouldn't hurt. Finally it would be a real treat to watch him, McDavid and Draisaitl work in the offensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad