Your preferred first round matchup for the Blues

Who is your preferred first round matchup for the Blues to play?

• Total voters

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Why won’t Vegas be worried about St Louis getting favorable calls to make up for the poor officiating vs the Sharks? Who decides which teams get to have the blessing, and how is that communicated to the various officiating crews?
I had a snarky little comment all queued up based on some really one-sided officiating I've seen the last couple of times the Blues play in Vegas. Turns out, that small sample size isn't all it seems. Before responding, I decided to bring some facts into the argument and actually found that Vegas has been shorthanded 208 times this season compared to 186 PP opportunities. We are actually one of the most balanced teams at 191 PP and 192 PK.

My apologies to all of the NHL officiating crews (except one and you know who you are) for impugning their integrity. Turns out that sometimes I should just shut up. I guess my wife is right.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues are the team to beat, so I think they'd prevail over anyone; therefore it shouldn't matter who the matchup is. I'd prefer not play Nashville however. Give me McJesus and Draisaitl because the other 21 players on that team suck.

Reactions: BlueMed

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Nashville seems like the Blues kryptonite this year, very similar to Dallas last year. I'd like some other team to do us a solid and take them out. Or even better they could just start losing a bunch and not make the PO's.

Reactions: simon IC

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I didn't vote because I put pretty much everyone besides Dallas, Colorado and Vegas into the same basket. Win the division and you almost certainly avoid a 1st round matchup with those 3. Vegas would need to get passed by 4 teams in order to be the WC2 and play C1 (or get passed by 3 teams AND watch someone from the Pacific erase a 12+ point standings gap to finish at the top of the West). Considering they replaced the league's worst backup with a guy who was a Vezina candidate last year, I don't see that type of collapse by Vegas over their final 15 games. They currently have 4, 5 and 6 point cushions on the 3 Pacific teams that would have to pass them and an 8 point cushion on the other Wild Card contenders. I also don't see Nashville making up the 9+ point gap between them and the top 3 Central dogs. Realistically, win the Central and you avoid the 3 scariest threats in round 1.

If I had to choose the potential Wild Card teams I'd prefer most, I would have to say the Flames or Wild. Neither of them have a goalie who puts that "go into God mode and win a series by himself" fear into me. Any goalie can do that for 2 weeks, but I think their guys are much less likely to do it than Crawford, Markstrom/Demko, Rinne, Hellboy, Smith or Arizona's 3 headed monster. Not all those guys are elite, but all of them have either been elite in the past or shown the ability to go on a month long insane heater. Again, I'm not overly worried about any team in the clear 2nd tier of the West. But if I have to choose, I'd choose a team that doesn't have that type of goalie. McDavid/Drai are a hell of a duo as well, so the Oilers are a touch scarier than some other teams even though Smith is weaker than some goalie options.

Win the Central. After that, let the chips fall and play whoever.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I had a snarky little comment all queued up based on some really one-sided officiating I've seen the last couple of times the Blues play in Vegas. Turns out, that small sample size isn't all it seems. Before responding, I decided to bring some facts into the argument and actually found that Vegas has been shorthanded 208 times this season compared to 186 PP opportunities. We are actually one of the most balanced teams at 191 PP and 192 PK.

My apologies to all of the NHL officiating crews (except one and you know who you are) for impugning their integrity. Turns out that sometimes I should just shut up. I guess my wife is right.
Lol! Epic response. I admire the work to look all that up.

I really just hate the “Refhawks” and “Ref Jose” monikers. But I do enjoy seeing the Sharks paying the piper.

Reactions: MissouriMook

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Too many teams still with a chance to get into it. But from where it is right now I would love Minnesota or Calgary. Obviously no Colorado or Dallas is the best hope. Nashville also scares me. They have the talent to be just as good as the top 3 in the Central.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
I voted Minnesota but I feel like we're good at shutting down top heavy teams, so Edmonton isn't that scary to me like others have said. Just look at how we neutered Boston's top players last playoffs.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
My preferred first round matchup is the #1 vs #8 seed :nod:

I think we can certainly beat any of the teams listed on the poll should we face them, I selected the Wild just because I think they'd be a nice punching bag in the first round.

Reactions: Bluesguru

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would say it doesn't matter, but for different reasons. It is absolutely imperative that the Blues do not underestimate their first round opponent, no matter who it is. Over confidence is your worst enemy.

Reactions: mk80 and Bluenatic

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Posters on the poll are very observant. The Flames and Wild are the two weakest lineups, by far. I'd want The Flames first, and Wild second (which ever team is in 8th place). That will mean that The Blues are first in The West, which means they'd have home ice advantage until The Finals (and may end up having it there also, if Boston gets beaten or goes through a slump, or the same happens to Washington or Tampa. But, really, The Blues just have to play their own game strongly, and they can beat ANY of the other NHL teams. Tarasenko will need to be able to put some power behind his shots. But, I think he has recovered better from this lesser injury this time, and won't have a whole half-season before he can put full power behind his shot. Good news that he is ahead of schedule, and might possibly be back in the lineup by March 17-20. It'll e good for him to get some games in before The Playoffs start.

Reactions: Meatball

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I'm going to say the Flames, And I'm going to be selfish because I haven't been to a game this season where the Blues were in Calgary because of work and other commitments. The Flames are meh and the Blues will sweep.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Av's just lost to the Ducks in OT with 1.2 seconds left. So a full 2 points back with 1 game in hand on us.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Av's just lost to the Ducks in OT with 1.2 seconds left. So a full 2 points back with 1 game in hand on us.
And they have the tiebreaker.

The magic number to clinch the division (with respect to Colorado) is 31 points. They actually still control their own destiny. I’m going to start keeping track.

Last edited:

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Coyotes would be a joke but I don't see that happening. Either way, as others have already stated, doesn't matter who we play. We need to beat them all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad