Your preferred first round matchup for the Blues

Who is your preferred first round matchup for the Blues to play?

• Total voters

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Calgary.

They're just not scary at all. Mediocre team all around. I think guys like Gaudreau and Monahan would be completely shut down by our tight defense and physicality.

Minnesota would be a close 2nd and those are easily the preferences. All those other teams seem to play us a lot tougher.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Calgary.

They're just not scary at all. Mediocre team all around. I think guys like Gaudreau and Monahan would be completely shut down by our tight defense and physicality.

Minnesota would be a close 2nd and those are easily the preferences. All those other teams seem to play us a lot tougher.
Agreed. Calgary is soft as shit and their top players completely vanish in the playoffs like a headline Vegas magic show.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Oilers or Wild. Voted Wild only because maybe Draisaitl and McDavid could maybe just win a series by themselves.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Yeah I'd rather not play a team with two 100 point players.

1. Outside of RNH and Nurse, the rest of the roster is really bland.
2. Points only give you an indication of offensive potential. They don't tell you about defense. Just ask Marchand and Pastrnak how their regular season point totals helped them make key defensive plays to win the Stanley Cup...oh wait.
3. I would love to play Edmonton. There is no way they could handle us rolling all 4 lines and all 3 D pairings.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
1. Outside of RNH and Nurse, the rest of the roster is really bland.
2. Points only give you an indication of offensive potential. They don't tell you about defense. Just ask Marchand and Pastrnak how their regular season point totals helped them make key defensive plays to win the Stanley Cup...oh wait.
3. I would love to play Edmonton. There is no way they could handle us rolling all 4 lines and all 3 D pairings.
1. Superstar players can take over series, ask MacKinnon last year
2. Pastrnak and Marchand still went to the cup final last year and went to game 7.
3. I agree but there's always the x-factor.

Reactions: CrazyMonkey1208

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
1. Superstar players can take over series, ask MacKinnon last year
2. Pastrnak and Marchand still went to the cup final last year and went to game 7.
3. I agree but there's always the x-factor.

MacKinnon never went up against a defensive machine like St. Louis or Boston. He ran loose on Calgary and San Jose, which basically play pond hockey. There is no way either of those 2 players are going to take over a series against us. They don't even play on the same line. And this isn't the NBA where 1-2 superstars can compensate for an otherwise terrible roster. Good playoff teams will need all 4 lines and all 3 D pairings to contribute.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Went with Dallas, who still struggle to score consistently and are a realistic possibility of a 1st round matchup.

Sure they play a tight defensive game, but outside of Benn and Perry nobody plays a particularly punishing style, so I can see us emerging relatively unscathed barring freak injuries.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
These things never go as planned. Team we think will be easiest could still beat us. That said, I voted Calgary.
Well of course. There's never a guaranteed win.

But here's how I view the teams:

- Cup contenders: Dallas, Colorado, Vegas. Along with us, these are the best teams in the West. Playing any in the 1st round is a tough draw. If I had to pick one team in this group I'd rather face over the others, it'd be Dallas.

- Mosquitos (those pesky teams that always seem to play us tough): Vancouver, Nashville, Winnipeg and Arizona. They're not as good as the above teams, but we have so many 1-goal games against these guys. We are better than them, but ya never know. I'd rather avoid them in round 1 if given the choice.

- X-factor: Edmonton. Just because of McD/Drai as mentioned above. Not scary overall and I'd prefer them over any of the above teams, but not to be completely overlooked.

- Non-Cup contenders that are our best matchups: Minnesota and Calgary. Yes please.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
In order of preference (most favored to least favored):

1. Winnipeg - they're limping right now, IMO even if they get in they're ripe to be swept.
2. Calgary - I actually think the top line could give us fits, but ultimately I'm not concerned with facing Rittich or Talbot in net.
3. Edmonton - yes, Draisaitl and McDavid would cause us fits and would score some goals. The rest of that roster is lousy and they added guys at the deadline known for not being good defensively and their goaltending sucks. Our game would wear on them over time.
4. Arizona - young, still inexperienced, we could swarm them and be done quickly. Only concern is one of their goalies playing out of their mind against us and dragging the series out.
5. Minnesota - still not particularly concerned, but they leave me with that "remember 2015" feeling and have more talent than people give them credit for.
6. Vancouver - I would be more bothered if the Canucks were healthy. They're dinged up enough that I think they're vulnerable, but if they get everyone back they move down the list.
7. Dallas - yes, they're struggling to score. They also still have a 6'7" guy in net who could get into a zone again and drag a series out to 7. I just have a feeling they'll be a nightmare for someone, even if they don't win the series.
8. Colorado - they have MacKinnon and Rantanen, which isn't as good as Draisaitl and McDavid. They've also got much better depth and much better goaltending. If injuries continue to pile up, they would move up.
9. Nashville - remember us last year? Yeah, that's kind of Nashville right now - except less talented. However, they would throw everything they possibly could at us and make the series a war, which would ultimately hurt us deeper into the postseason.
10. Vegas - they've got the swagger back and they've got depth. Keep them away as long as possible.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The biggest thing is getting the 1 seed for the division, the 2nd round matchup is going to be a ridiculous matchup, so getting through the 1st round the quickest to be fresh for that.

Don't want- Vegas, Colorado, Dallas

Want- Calgary, Minnesota

Would rather not:
Winnipeg- a decent showing by Hellebuyck could drag it out, and with how heavy they play, it'd end up taking an early toll that'd make the 2nd round matchup a bit more difficult.
Arizona- goaltending could drag the series out.
Vancouver- decent all around team that we don't completely overmatch
Nashville- they're on a decent roll, and they have experience knocking out 1 seeds.
Edmonton- Not only McDrai taking over a game or two, but I have a sinking feeling Kassian would be set off by Berube style playoff hockey and would end up injuring someone important.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Is saying “no preference” silly? Being real, my take on the West has always be simple. If we go in healthy and play like we can play, we should win a 7 game series against any team in the West, and the only one that gives me pause is Vegas with Lehner in net. But I fear nobody in the East, or even really Tampa, Boston, And co. Not saying we can’t lose, but I doubt we lose without playing our game. If someone else beats us with us at our best, I’m good with it.

Last year made all this stuff much more calm to me, honestly.

Reactions: scottyajak

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Is saying “no preference” silly? Being real, my take on the West has always be simple. If we go in healthy and play like we can play, we should win a 7 game series against any team in the West, and the only one that gives me pause is Vegas with Lehner in net. But I fear nobody in the East, or even really Tampa, Boston, And co. Not saying we can’t lose, but I doubt we lose without playing our game. If someone else beats us with us at our best, I’m good with it.

Last year made all this stuff much more calm to me, honestly.

I agree 100%. Not saying we will automatically repeat or that we are invincible, but if we are 100% healthy and rested, I am confident against anyone. What will be interesting this year though is how much easier it will be without the whole "first stanley cup in STL history burden" on their shoulders. It might also be harder having played so many games though. That's why I would rather us "just make the playoffs" fully rested by giving guys games off down the stretch and be ready to play anyone like last year.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Oilers or Wild. Voted Wild only because maybe Draisaitl and McDavid could maybe just win a series by themselves.

I honestly think the Oilers could make a run this year. Their depth and defense are improved from recent years and McDavid would be super motivated since he has had so few chances in the playoffs. Mike Smith can go either way, but I'd rather not play the Oilers in the first round.

The Wild are probably the easy choice here, but I don't even think they'll make it. As long as we win our division, we should have a favorable round one matchup. If we don't, it gets a little dicey.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not really bothered. Minnesota, Calgary, Winnipeg or Arizona.

Nashville wouldn't be ideal, simply because we've made hard work of the games against them this season.

I'd rather avoid Edmonton in the first round as well. They are only a threat if McDavid and Draisaitl are both taking over games, which isn't realistic for the duration of the playoffs, but it makes them a threat in a best-of-7 series.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Biggest thing is to get the division title. That leaves Colorado vs. Dallas slugging it out in the first round. Definitely don't want a playoff path that looks like Dal/Col/LV.

Reactions: TheDizee

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Winning the division is the biggest priority so that one of Colorado and Dallas get eliminated in the first round, which is a bit of a shame as both teams are much better than most of the West.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think there is a decent chance Colorado passes the Blues, and the matchup is Dallas in round 1. I also think the Blues could take on a role like the Kings and Blackhawks from years back, where St Louis was a really good team that just couldn’t get past them. Dallas would be in the Blues position from then.

I think St Louis could beat any team in 7 games. Not necessarily that they will. Breaks sometimes have to go the right way. But it would be preferable to not have the path through the West be Dallas-Colorado-Vegas. That’s grueling. It would be better if at least one round is a lesser team.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Calgary, Minnesota, or Winnipeg wouldn't bother me.

Arizona, Vancouver, and Edmonton would be a bit tougher to play IMO.

Nashville, Dallas, and Colorado would make me nervous.

Unlikely to play Vegas 1st round. With the way they're going, they look like a sure thing to win the Pacific but no, I would rather not have to face them in a 7 game series.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I just feel sorry for whoever draws Vegas in Round 1. That poor schmuck of a team is going to have to kill a lot of penalties and their power play won't even get a chance. Ref Jose? You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I just feel sorry for whoever draws Vegas in Round 1. That poor schmuck of a team is going to have to kill a lot of penalties and their power play won't even get a chance. Ref Jose? You ain't seen nothin' yet.
What the hell are you talking about? Vegas got screwed by the refs last year. Now the refs are going to somehow choose to favor them? Are you suggesting Vegas will get favorable calls to make up for last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad