Your Official 2012 / 2013 "Lose out for draft position / staff change!" Thread

Clock

May 13, 2006
Starting to see the sentiment littered in the last GBU, so I'm hoping to head this off.

If you want the team to lose out for whatever reason or are of the opinion that winning games at this point is a bad thing, it's clearly a valid opinion, but please keep those posts inside of this thread. It throws off too many other threads when it's strewn around and becomes borderline off-topic.

Root against the team or lament wins if that's your position, but please do it only within the confines of this thread.

Thanks!

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'll start. Yesterday was the first time I felt this way. If they string together a few, I can come back, but watching Stamkos made me so envious. We have some nice parts, but we need someone with that elite talent if we want to get where we want to go. We don't have any elite talent. Vanek is as close as we come, and he's a 65 point winger. We need more.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Drafting in the Top 3, THIS YEAR, is probably the most important result that can come from this year.

Nothing would have a bigger impact on the franchise going forward.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'll start. Yesterday was the first time I felt this way. If they string together a few, I can come back, but watching Stamkos made me so envious. We have some nice parts, but we need someone with that elite talent if we want to get where we want to go. We don't have any elite talent. Vanek is as close as we come, and he's a 65 point winger. We need more.

I...
Agree with.... :scared:
Stokes... :innocent:

:huh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I figure if they're going to suck and get a top-3 draft pick, they might as well do it when there's a lot of talent all over the top-5, and during a short season. Three months of suck is preferable to six months of suck.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Tampa Bay is envious of Ryan Miller.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Drafting in the Top 3, THIS YEAR, is probably the most important result that can come from this year.

Nothing would have a bigger impact on the franchise going forward.

Winning the Stanley Cup would be the most important result of THIS year.

Sorry, I'm off topic.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
I figure if they're going to suck and get a top-3 draft pick, they might as well do it when there's a lot of talent all over the top-5, and during a short season. Three months of suck is preferable to six months of suck.

This is how I feel completely.

Mackinnon must be ours.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
If we are in the top three with Columbus at the time of the lottery I like our chances at the number one pick. :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How does the new draft lottery work?

I'm asking because where can we finish and still draft in the top 3? Other than the obvious.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on this thread. But I think the Sabres are going to make a valiant march to 9th spot in the Eastern Conference.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

I'm asking because where can we finish and still draft in the top 3? Other than the obvious.

As long as you miss the playoffs and are in the lottery, you can get the 1st overall pick.

The percentages stay the same as they were in the old system. The change is that if you win, you get #1, not just move up a couple spots like before.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Same odds as last year. But any team out of the playoffs could end up with the top pick.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013

We are guaranteed top 3 if we finish worst or second to worst. If we finish third to worst, we could potentially pick 4th.

So we need to be 29th or 30th to guarantee a top three selection.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

1st or 2nd, 3rd if the team that wins the lotto finishes 1st or 2nd...or anywhere if Buffalo wins the lotto to pick 1st.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Any none playoff team can win the lottery, you can drop only 1 spot

So we can finish 1st or 2nd, not win the lottery and still draft top 3
Or we can finish in 3rd, and still draft 3rd if the 1st and 2nd teams win the lottery

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I...
Agree with.... :scared:
Stokes... :innocent:

:huh:

Uh oh, guys, apocalypse is coming. :laugh:

For real, I think most are sick of seeing this team wallow in mediocrity. It's a short season, and we're already at the bottom. I'd much rather stay there and get an elite talent in the draft than watch this team win their way to 10th place, miss the playoffs, and get a middling pick. Doesn't do anything: no shot at the cup, no shot at getting the kind of player in the draft that changes a franchise.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
It's as good of a season for us to be down as we could hope for.

This team simply doesn't have the chops at this point to finish anything but bottom 5.

We have pieces to build around and a bunch of them are getting top minutes. Add in a blue chip player from this draft and I like where we're headed.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is it possible Darcy (knowing Rolston was the best choice at maintaining the bottom feeding, while still looking like he's giving the guy a shot at the big leagues) at this point wants to pick in the top 3 also? He's risking his own neck to be sure, but he's gambling on the upcoming draft and summer time player movements, along with a new coach hire to save his skin.

Possible right?

:dunno:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I am with the finish the year low and get a top 3 pick. We need dynamite offensive threats like a Drouin or MacKinnon. Lindholm and Barkov intrigue me as well.

Something to look at though, some examples are better than others but here is a good point. No team since 2001 has won the cup without a top 3 pick on their team.

Past Cup Winners

:kings 2012
Kopitar (11th overall 2005) - dropped likely because of his origin
Doughty (2nd overall 2008) - Top 2 pick
Brayden Schenn (5th overall 2009) - Top 5 pick used to acquire former first rounders Carter, and Richards
Dustin Brown (13th overall 2003) - missed playoff year

:bruins 2011
Tyler Seguin (2nd overall 2010) Top 2 pick
Zdeno Chara (3rd round pick 1996) - Elite top level talent who was obtained via FA

:hawks 2010
Patrick Kane (1st overall 2007) - 1 overall pick, scored cup winning goal
Jonathan Toews (3rd overall 2006) - Top 3 pick, clutch leader, Conn Smyth Winner
Brent Seabrook (14th overall 2003) - missed playoff year
Marian Hossa (12th overall 1997) - Elite talent

:pens 2009
Sidney Crosby (1st overall 2005) - Generational talent
M-A Fleury (1st overall 2003) - cup winning goaltender
Evgeni Malkin (2nd overall 2004) - Elite level talent
Jordan Staal (2nd overall 2006) - Ultra talented 2way centerman

:wings 2008
Niklas Lidstrom
Pavel Datsyuk > First 3 was surpreme drafting
Henrik Zetterberg
Brad Stuart (3rd overall 1998) - Top 3 pick
Chris Chelios

:ducks 2007
Chris Pronger (2nd overall 1993) - Elite level Defenseman
Rob Niedermayer (5th overall 1993) - Checking center
Scott Niedermayer (3rd overall 1991) - Generational talent Defenseman
Teemu Selanne (10th overall 1988) Top 10 pick supreme talent
JS Giguere (13th overall 1995) - Cup winning goalie
Bobby Ryan (2nd overall ) - prospect forward

:canes 2006
Andrew Ladd (4th overall 2004) - Great talent
Eric Staal (2nd overall 2003) - Elite talent
Rob Brind'Amour (9th overall 1988) - Elite level talent
Glen Wesley (3rd overall 1987) - Great Defenseman
Cory Stillman (6th overall 1992) - Great forward

:nhl lockout 2005

:bolts 2004
Vinny Lecavalier (1st overall 1998) - Elite level forward
Cory Stillman (6th overall 1992) - Great forward
Dafryl Sydor (7th overall 1990) - Great Defenseman

:devils 2003
Jeff Friesen (11th overall 1994) - Good Forward
Scott Niedermayer (3rd overall 1991) - Generational Defenseman
Scott Stevens (5th overall 1982) - Elite shutdown defenseman
Oleg Tverdovsky (2nd overall 1994) - Great Defenseman

:wings 2002
Steve Yzerman (4th overall 1983) - Generational forward
Brendan Shanahan (2nd overall 1987)

:avs 2001
Peter Forsberg (6th overall 1991) - Elite forward
Joe Sakic (15th overall 1987) - Generational Talent
Ray Bourque (8th overall 1979) - Generational Defenseman
Alex Tanguay (12th overall 1998) - Good forward

Every single cup team going 10+ years back has a top 3 pick on their team. We need elite level talent.

The Colorado winning team in 2001 is the last team to not have a top 3 pick on their team although they had a 6th overall in Forsberg and not to mention the likes of, Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Ray Bourque, Tanguay, Drury, Foote, etc.

The Sabres have: :sabres

Vanek (5th overall 2003)
Hodgson (10th overall 2008)

Vanek and Hodgson are the only Sabre players who were drafted in the top 10

We need elite talent and the best way to do it is through the NHL draft

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Is it possible Darcy (knowing Rolston was the best choice at maintaining the bottom feeding, while still looking like he's giving the guy a shot at the big leagues) at this point wants to pick in the top 3 also? He's risking his own neck to be sure, but he's gambling on the upcoming draft and summer time player movements, along with a new coach hire to save his skin.

Possible right?

:dunno:
I dont agree that Rolston is a tank hire, that wouldve been Jeep or Adams imo. I think he's giving Rolston a legit chance to win this job, and I wouldnt be against it.

its on the players, Darcy might be 'tanking' by not making any major moves/adds and just finishing this shortened season with this subpar roster, giving him a chance at a top 5 pick.

I don't think Darcy is going anywhere, he'll get another draft/UFA period to right this ship...and I dont think we're going to see any 'blowing it up' when it comes to Vanek, Poms & Miller...not yet at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad