GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (45-18-7) vs. Minnesota Wild (40-22-8), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Gusty made huge saves like last game...Hamilton pinched in ot puck hit pipes right to Boldy....Ruff said it best we tried to make a play it went the other way on a shot off the pipes and are shootouts lately haven't been great so it happens.....Vtek made some huge saves first goal I think Palat didn't get puck out and that led to extended pressure in zone....Timo played heavy game but they were the heavier team overall....Solid effort just Goali'd
I was at the game and just screaming for guys to take the body. Minny took every chance to send someone into the boards, it was maddening watching us avoid taking the chance to hammer someone when their opponent was leaning into that side of the game.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The two things I am frustrated by with this loss:

The power play is just flat out bad.

I know the stats say he had a great game, but I am little tired of watching Jack skate in circles, refuse to pass, then turn the puck over.

All this crap will get worked out I'm sure though.
We’re at game #70, I’m starting to think it might not happen.

we gained on the rangers and honestly don’t mind if we don’t catch carolina. i’d rather play the rangers than the panthers who are a tough matchup for us and are one of the hottest teams in the league. oh well
Couldn’t care less about the Rangers, just hate we’ll have to deal with those cavemen in our barn for our first series in years.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I wouldn’t say the power play is bad. It was fairly average pre-Meier, with periods of time when it kind of sucked and other times when it actually looked really good.

It definitely hasn’t been very good since they acquired Timo, I’d like to think that gets improved when they finally have time to practice and get acclimated to his adddition.

Last night the first PP has good looks but didn’t convert, then the remaining ones stunk.

Even if it improves I doubt it will be anything above average. This team just isn’t good on the pp for whatever reason. Age/lack of experience might have something to do with it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I watched most of the game last night but couldn't post. Devils looked good and controlled play for much of the second and third, but just couldn't solve Gustavsson without the fluke bounce for Meier's goal. I was annoyed at times because Gustavsson seemed to get in their heads a bit, and they kept looking for the extra pass which didn't connect rather than taking open shots.

Vanecek was really good, the goal against him was also a fluke bounce, can't fault him for that.

The loss at the very last second of OT is frustrating, but basically due to yet another freak bounce. I'm at least happy we got one point, reducing our magic number, and that the second point went out west.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
How would it be unacceptable? We're a young team making the playoffs for the first time against a way more experienced NYR team. If we lose it's par for the course and part of the learning process for this team.
It's always unacceptable to lose to the Rags under any circumstances. Fair or unfair right or wrong. That's how it is and how it will always be.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
How would it be unacceptable? We're a young team making the playoffs for the first time against a way more experienced NYR team. If we lose it's par for the course and part of the learning process for this team.
No matter what happens and how this season ends. This season has been a success and just the beginning of good things to come. Losing to the Rags would sting but, this isn't 1992 when the Devils were still trying to gain respect and find their niche in this market. Playing the NYR would be a pick 'em series and likely a long and grueling one for sure. NYR deffenilty would have the goaltending and special teams advantage. Yeah I want to win the Metro and avoid this at least for two more weeks and I'm sure Rangers fans would rather face Carolina 1st too.

At this stage of the season I don't care at all once it goes to OT...why should we? Yeah it's nice to get the superficial win but there is no 3-on-3 or shootouts in the playoffs... its nothing more than a formality at this point of the season.
Right. After that last Tampa game at home I came away feeling really good about the 60 mins of "real" hockey.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
We’re at game #70, I’m starting to think it might not happen.

Couldn’t care less about the Rangers, just hate we’ll have to deal with those cavemen in our barn for our first series in years.
I truly don’t think the split will be as crazy as we think. We have a lot more younger and vocal fans these days. Also, who cares about them showing up. They hang their hat on “invading” other arenas because they have nothing else to celebrate over the past 3 decades.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
At this stage of the season I don't care at all once it goes to OT...why should we? Yeah it's nice to get the superficial win but there is no 3-on-3 or shootouts in the playoffs... its nothing more than a formality at this point of the season.
I’m starting to feel this way too, especially once the points are accumulated and we’re prepping for the playoffs. Thankfully, we’re a good 5v5 team.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I truly don’t think the split will be as crazy as we think. We have a lot more younger and vocal fans these days. Also, who cares about them showing up. They hang their hat on “invading” other arenas because they have nothing else to celebrate over the past 3 decades.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, f*** ‘em. For the boys though want them to get the full taste of a playoff atmosphere at home.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

TF1970

May 9, 2021
this is cherrypicking a bit, since everything beyond regulation is kinda a coin flip - but i watched the replay of the OMR hughes led around the midpoint of OT, and he definitely could have dished across to severson. it was a forward back defending (hartman), who didnt really have his stick in a probable position to break up a pass. he made a pretty good shot that gustavsson got a shoulder on, but the pass was there for a possible slam dunk.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Oh, don’t get me wrong, f*** ‘em. For the boys though want them to get the full taste of a playoff atmosphere at home.
Agreed agreed. Hey we got a pretty good “IIIIIGOR” chant going at MSG this year, maybe we can return the favor again in the post season😉

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm proud of this team because people were worried that we were going to start running into trouble with these games later into the season when the playoff style type of hockey turns up and space on the ice starts to shrink. There truly has been no real consistent sign of that on our side.

As Jim mentioned above, I don't care too much about how things play out after regulation at this point because playoff overtime is a different story. The issues we're having, largely powerplay related, are correctable.

I would like to see these lines continue for another couple of games. I think they can be ones we work with to start the first round.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
The atmosphere was crazy in the 2012 ECF, I’d expect no different. In fact, it might be better, with all the success this year and just turning the corner.
2012 was a sea of red and that was with the Rags being a sexy cup contender. Hopefully we can keep it that way this time around. Enough Rags to make noise and annoy you but, no total arena takeover. Our fan base is hungry and with new young blood. Makes me feel good to see. I used to feel I needed to be there to get chants started from the cheap seats. Not anymore this new generation of Devils fans represent very well. Hopefully they get into MSG (not cheap) they aren't afraid to go into our rivals buildings and rasie a little hell!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
this is cherrypicking a bit, since everything beyond regulation is kinda a coin flip - but i watched the replay of the OMR hughes led around the midpoint of OT, and he definitely could have dished across to severson. it was a forward back defending (hartman), who didnt really have his stick in a probable position to break up a pass. he made a pretty good shot that gustavsson got a shoulder on, but the pass was there for a possible slam dunk.

I'll almost never fault Hughes for calling his own number and taking the shot. He almost had it at the end of OT too, but got very unlucky with the post and the bounce right to Boldy.

In fact, I was upset with him for not being selfish when they had a 3 on 1 during regulation, and instead of shooting, Hughes passed it to Haula, who promptly flubbed his attempt.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I'll almost never fault Hughes for calling his own number and taking the shot. He almost had it at the end of OT too, but got very unlucky with the post and the bounce right to Boldy.

In fact, I was upset with him for not being selfish when they had a 3 on 1 during regulation, and instead of shooting, Hughes passed it to Haula, who promptly flubbed his attempt.
its weird with haula, he seems to botch so many setups from hughes, yet that being said, i kind of like him on his wing haha.....

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
its weird with haula, he seems to botch so many setups from hughes, yet that being said, i kind of like him on his wing haha.....

Haula with Hughes looks ridiculous, it feels like it shouldn't work, it's frustrating as hell all the time, and the counting stats are horrendous. But it simply works, and I can't argue with that.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
I'm proud of this team because people were worried that we were going to start running into trouble with these games later into the season when the playoff style type of hockey turns up and space on the ice starts to shrink. There truly has been no real consistent sign of that on our side.

As Jim mentioned above, I don't care too much about how things play out after regulation at this point because playoff overtime is a different story. The issues we're having, largely powerplay related, are correctable.

I would like to see these lines continue for another couple of games. I think they can be ones we work with to start the first round.
Playoff OT is pretty much 5v5. That's our strength! I like our chances moving forward.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

I’m extremely proud of this group, whatever happens in the playoffs. They’ve taken HUGE steps and it’s only the beginning.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I was annoyed with some of the shot selection in OT but overall we looked really good 5v5 when I was able to watch last night. I have every faith that this team can win playoff games in OT. The powerplays are frustrating but what can you do? It's not like we have better options sitting around for the top unit.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I felt like a lot of the warts with the powerplay last night came from them hot-shotting passes to each other. Rarely were passes hitting tape, it was either having to be collected on the backhand or from each other's feet. Setting up with patience and purpose will smooth that out. I'm sure they will be working on that with the practices coming up.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad