GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (24-39-6) vs. New York Rangers, (44-20-6), 7 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Who’s the guy that doesn’t want players that can defend well, play an interior game, AND produce all at the same time?

Where is this poster, what is he saying? Everyone wants Nichushkin. I’d take Nino. I’d look at Marchment. There are very few players that actually fit the definition you presented.

The main offensive strategy is going to remain entering the zone with puck possession and scoring off the rush with Jack on one line and Nico and Bratt on another. Even with a new coach. Get used to it.
The “main” offensive strategy should not be the only offensive strategy. If this team continues to be this one dimensional, they will continue to lose more games than they win, even if you get decent goaltending.

And let’s not even start on their inability to responsibly manage the puck / game.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Who’s the guy that doesn’t want players that can defend well, play an interior game, AND produce all at the same time?

Where is this poster, what is he saying? Everyone wants Nichushkin. I’d take Nino. I’d look at Marchment. There are very few players that actually fit the definition you presented.

The main offensive strategy is going to remain entering the zone with puck possession and scoring off the rush with Jack on one line and Nico and Bratt on another. Even with a new coach. Get used to it.
Yes the plan will be to continue to do what works - top two lines can play a fast transition game , like you said . But why not have another omen that can play a dump and chase style . Doesn’t have to be every game . Adjust accordingly. Right now it’s all it nothing .

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The “main” offensive strategy should not be the only offensive strategy. If this team continues to be this one dimensional, they will continue to lose more games than they win, even if you get decent goaltending.

And let’s not even start on their inability to responsibly manage the puck / game.
Generating offense has not been a problem this season despite whatever narrative about certain teams shutting us down is going around. Our offense is very solid. We have a below average defense by some metrics, about average by others. I need not mention why so many pucks are going in our net.

A third line that can do some dump and chase changes very little about how teams will game plan against us. They will be looking to stop Jack and Bratt, those guys will always be driving our offense.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
His waiver exemption doesn’t matter, my point is they weren’t going to send Smith down to protect Studenic.

We used Geertsen as a spare D/F but mainly as the spare F. Geertsen being a D/F gives him added flexibility, but he’s not good and I think Studenic is.

They hoped Studenic would make it through waivers and he didn’t.

The team should have known Studenic was an enticing target because he has good underlying numbers (both ways) and makes 750k. You can stick him in the line-up and he’s good defensively, an excellent forechecker (better at that then most of the guys on this team now) and can get to net with his speed. And even if you don’t play him, if you’re near the cap (and a ton of teams are), it’s valuable that he’s that dirt cheap, cheaper even than a lot of the guys in minors you could call up (who would likely play worse, particularly defensively).

When Dallas picked him up they were working with very little cap space. Colorado called up Stefan Matteau over Maltsev earlier in the year because Matteau made 750k vs Maltsev’s 809k. It can get that tight.

And it was 29 days before the trade deadline, and having any extra cap space for potential moves is important for the same teams that wouldn’t mind having a guy making 750k on their roster. (If they were accumulating cap space for the TDL and were tight at the cap.)

So Fitz might have made a bad call with his roster management. Maybe there are other moves he could have made. If you want to protect the honor of Geertsen, fine. It’s spilt milk.
Players Utica lost and never had this season:

Dawson Mercer - never had, likely ticketed for Utica if not for excellent camp and injuries to Wood and Tyce, it happens, awesome for Dawson

Jesper Boqvist - organically moved up and stayed up, and earned it, this a natural part of losing AHL players, no worries

Mark Jankowski - PTO signed with Buffalo after being cut over Freddy Gauthier, tied (as of 3/31) with DeLeo (Utica Pt/G leader) in Pt/G for Rochester

Scott Wedgewood - should have been waived in early October when opening day rosters were being finalized instead of early November, some say 20/20 hindsight, I say it's basic SOP, 21 G cleared between Montenbeault and Wedgewood claims

Marian Studenic - should have been sent down before waivers eligibility kicked in after playing tenth NHL game on 1/08, and playing only two NHL games thereafter over a month later in February, then claimed after another month of not playing in March

Colton White - should have been waived at the deadline with or instead of Jaros

Christian Jaros - never had, should have been waived in early October with White, Studenic, etc., would have had a better read on his intentions then, and could have waived White at the deadline instead, 11 games of Jaros for Nick Merkley

Nate Schnarr - If Wedgewood gets through waivers in early October, Hammond trade is unnecessary

Ty Smith - never had, some think Ty could have benefited from some time in Utica

*Nico Daws - will return for playoffs, how many regular season AHL games does he get? Utica has 9 GR not including tonight.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Do you think Wright will be ready to step in at 2C behind Hughes right away if they move Mercer to wing on a more or less permanent basis?
Hughes,nico,Wright down the middle with Mercer rotating to wing would be ideal. I have read mixed reports on weight tho sounds like he will be a very good player just not an elite player

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Players Utica lost and never had this season:

Dawson Mercer - never had, likely ticketed for Utica if not for excellent camp and injuries to Wood and Tyce, it happens, awesome for Dawson

Jesper Boqvist - organically moved up and stayed up, and earned it, this a natural part of losing AHL players, no worries

Mark Jankowski - PTO signed with Buffalo after being cut over Freddy Gauthier, tied (as of 3/31) with DeLeo (Utica Pt/G leader) in Pt/G for Rochester

Scott Wedgewood - should have been waived in early October when opening day rosters were being finalized instead of early November, some say 20/20 hindsight, I say it's basic SOP, 21 G cleared between Montenbeault and Wedgewood claims

Marian Studenic - should have been sent down before waivers eligibility kicked in after playing tenth NHL game on 1/08, and playing only two NHL games thereafter over a month later in February, then claimed after another month of not playing in March

Colton White - should have been waived at the deadline with or instead of Jaros

Christian Jaros - never had, should have been waived in early October with White, Studenic, etc., would have had a better read on his intentions then, and could have waived White at the deadline instead, 11 games of Jaros for Nick Merkley

Nate Schnarr - If Wedgewood gets through waivers in early October, Hammond trade is unnecessary

Ty Smith - never had, some think Ty could have benefited from some time in Utica

*Nico Daws - will return for playoffs, how many regular season AHL games does he get? Utica has 9 GR not including tonight.
Didn't we need Wedge early in the season as Blackwood was slow coming back from his surgery?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hughes,nico,Wright down the middle with Mercer rotating to wing would be ideal. I have read mixed reports on weight tho sounds like he will be a very good player just not an elite player
If he’s at least as good as Hischier he can be a very important player. Maybe he takes Nico’s place as 3C? That would free up Nico to replace McLeod as the 4C. But not until Fitz makes the team wear epaulets, line up at center ice, and watch him rip the C from Nico’s jersey and slap his across the face with it while smoking a Gitane cigarette with no filter.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Didn't we need Wedge early in the season as Blackwood was slow coming back from his surgery?

Yes, our goalies were gimpy at the start and Arizona could have been planning to grab him whenever we waived him after evaluating their goalie situation.

We would have had a serious issue in game 3 without Wedge, since he started that with Daws backing up.

One mistake was not getting another vet AHL goalie in the pre-season to bolster the organizational goalie depth.

Wedge was always obviously in danger of being grabbed because he’s a AHL/NHL goalie who makes 825k. Fitz might have hoped that having it be a 2 year deal might have warded off waiver thieves, but like Dell, he was an obvious target (Dell also got waived & lost soon after the season started).

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why couldn't Geertsen been waived and not Studenic?
I know Stud's is a better player than Geertsen, but we do have a bunch of young wingers who have a similar skill/skill level set as Stud's.

Were as Geertsen does bring a toughness that is otherwise lacking.

This will trigger some people, but it is the reality of the situation.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I know Stud's is a better player than Geertsen, but we do have a bunch of young wingers who have a similar skill/skill level set as Stud's.

I get the logic. I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I accept it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Rangers don't have a very good team, they just don't. They are mostly carried by exceptional goaltending and a lethal power play.

We also have a better group of skateds then even our fans give us credit but we are buried by bad goaltending and awful special teams.

If both those things were equal between both teams they would be about in the same spot, an edge to us most likely.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If there were a spot for Stud's in the lineup I'd be upset about it. But there really isn't.
Maybe he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to play like he has in Dallas, but to me I'd rather have a kid who might actually do something over a talentless goon who is only going to play like 5-7 minutes a night in 1/3 of your games. Although if Studenic ended up being the one who only played very limited minutes and sat on the bench half the time, that's not good for him either. I'm not really upset as much as I'm just annoyed by it. Ultimately our fortunes rest more on our top 9 than the 4th line, but I was kind of hoping we were past the days of keeping a Geertsen around.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I think he got screwed because he was snakebit. We actually don’t have a ton of two-way forwards who are as good defensively as Studenic.

I’m likely higher on him then most people here. He’s gone so it doesn’t matter.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maybe he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to play like he has in Dallas, but to me I'd rather have a kid who might actually do something over a talentless goon who is only going to play like 5-7 minutes a night in 1/3 of your games. Although if Studenic ended up being the one who only played very limited minutes and sat on the bench half the time, that's not good for him either. I'm not really upset as much as I'm just annoyed by it. Ultimately our fortunes rest more on our top 9 than the 4th line, but I was kind of hoping we were past the days of keeping a Geertsen around.
This is a big part of it for me as well. There wasn't much room for him this season, and there will be even less in coming seasons.

So the fact that he's getting a chance in Dallas is cool by me.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think he got screwed because he was snakebit. We actually don’t have a ton of two-way forwards who are as good defensively as Studenic.

ya one point in 17 games with NJ didn't help.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Yes, our goalies were gimpy at the start and Arizona could have been planning to grab him whenever we waived him after evaluating their goalie situation.

We would have had a serious issue in game 3 without Wedge, since he started that with Daws backing up.

One mistake was not getting another vet AHL goalie in the pre-season to bolster the organizational goalie depth.

Wedge was always obviously in danger of being grabbed because he’s a AHL/NHL goalie who makes 825k. Fitz might have hoped that having it be a 2 year deal might have warded off waiver thieves, but like Dell, he was an obvious target (Dell also got waived & lost soon after the season started).

That's why those tweeners are waived en masse when opening night rosters are being finalized. Wedge still would have been up to play game 3 after he cleared.

Fitz decided the three rookie G were good enough after the 13-0 start to not replace Wedgewood as a stable mentor for Daws and Schmid as originally planned. Now Utica is headed into the playoffs no vet G. Stockton will likely go with rookie Dustin Wolf, but they have a backup that's played more than twice as many AHL games as Schmid.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Big dude with snarl and skill will be #1 on our radar outside of goalie IMO.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Liked Studenic as well played hard too....Best to him just wish he got more time in Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad