GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (24-39-6) vs. New York Rangers, (44-20-6), 7 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Who said he was about to get nominated for the Norris? Yes, their goaltending is great and like any 20 year old rookie, he'll have his up's and down's but at the moment, he's not a liability to the Rangers more so than whoever else they have on their roster, so he's playing.

Saying he stinks this year is a reach and if what he brings to their team is grit, it's already better than what Smith has brought to our team since the start of the season. If we had a guy like him, maybe Sharangovich wouldn't feel the need to defend a guy like Vesey in the first place.

Like @My3Sons said earlier, we have our key guys doing the dirty work when it should be the last thing we want them to do. Imagine having Bratt, Nico or Sharangovich out long term because they had to step up and defend a teamate. How dumb would that look but they have no other choice because like I've been saying for months, this roster is loaded with soft players.
Lost in the shuffle was that Boquist seemed fine after the hit and played the rest of the game. It’s a lesson for him to defend himself and as for Schneider let’s see him do that to Bastian and I’ll be more impressed. I’m skeptical he would. One thing I’ve noticed this year is the league is getting pretty gutless. Plenty of hits on smaller players and few hits on bigger players. Watch Bastian skate around the opponent’s zone if he gets back. They may grab his stick behind the net but I rarely see anyone out a body on him. Wood probably gets treated the same way.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Lol nothing Braden Schneider has done so far has made me think oh crap, we really missed out on this guy, shouldn't have let the Rangers jump us, blah blah, blah. That may change in the future and Muk may stink, but right now Schneider isn't any good.

Also we dominated the ice when he was on, last night.
i’m not saying i want schneider and haven’t followed him enough to know if he’s even decent. but i’d like someone on our team who could hit like that. we haven’t in years

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He could obviously turn into a good player, it’s so early. It’s just puzzling to see the drooling over a player that has gotten worse results than Santini’s first stint in NJ.
Who's drooling? I see more hating than anything else to be quite honest with you lol

Call the cops, a 20 year old dman isn't a stud after his first 32 games in the league. Again, it's kind of ironic to complain about a guy like Schneider when we have THE worst dman, according to advanced stats, on our roster but yeah... gRiT baby!

I'll take Schneider over Smith any day of the week and twice on sundays just for the fact that he can actually lay out someone. I've seen enough of Smith and if we can get something, anything, this summer for his services, Fitz should be all over that. The drop he's had from his rookie to this year is mindboggling really. It's like he forgot to play the game and his skating has been completely awful. I was laughing at those who compared him to Will Butcher and now, not so much.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
i have no issue w the hit, shara's response, or schneiders punching. that's part and parcel of going in to hug like that

maybe the refs made a wrong call, but losing shara isn't why we lost
I can’t say I’ve seen that reaction to a typical scrum all year, seemed way over the top. To me, fighting is only “part of the game” when both parties show clear intent that they want to fight. Otherwise you’re just punching a guy in the face. Is anyone fair game to get attacked when the typical pushing and shoving happens after a whistle? I think that would be horrible.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Lost in the shuffle was that Boquist seemed fine after the hit and played the rest of the game. It’s a lesson for him to defend himself and as for Schneider let’s see him do that to Bastian and I’ll be more impressed. I’m skeptical he would. One thing I’ve noticed this year is the league is getting pretty gutless. Plenty of hits on smaller players and few hits on bigger players. Watch Bastian skate around the opponent’s zone if he gets back. They may grab his stick behind the net but I rarely see anyone out a body on him. Wood probably gets treated the same way.
Yeah, guys pick their targets now and it's pretty sad actually. Like you said, I don't know if Schneider goes after Bastian in that same situation but we'll never know.

It's kind of crazy that we have to refer to Bastian as being our most physical presence in our lineup... and sad at the same time.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yeah, guys pick their targets now and it's pretty sad actually. Like you said, I don't know if Schneider goes after Bastian in that same situation but we'll never know.

It's kind of crazy that we have to refer to Bastian as being our most physical presence in our lineup... and sad at the same time.
He lined someone up for a clean hit, he would’ve delivered the same hit to anyone in that circumstance. Boqvist took it fine, didn’t miss a shift. It happens.

Bastian has 181 hits in 62 games and he actually has some ability. More impressive than a goon that provides zero while solely racking hits and penalties.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
For a guy who isn’t any good he basically won the game for them with one big hit

media_FLMAhWoXEAYlBnF.jpg_name=small.jpg

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He lined someone up for a clean hit, he would’ve delivered the same hit to anyone in that circumstance. Boqvist took it fine, didn’t miss a shift. It happens.

Bastian has 181 hits in 62 games and he actually has some ability. More impressive than a goon that provides zero while solely racking hits and penalties.
Again, who's asking for a "goon" that provides absolutely nothing? You seem to be putting alot of words in my mouth that have never been said.

I honestly think that you're so scared to add any type of physical presence to a paper tissue soft lineup, that as soon as you read the words "intensity", "grit", "toughness", etc... you immediately think we're asking for the resurrection of Krzysztof Oliwa.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Again, who's asking for a "goon" that provides absolutely nothing? You seem to be putting alot of words in my mouth that have never been said.

I honestly think that you're so scared to add any type of physical presence to a paper tissue soft lineup, that as soon as you read the words "intensity", "grit", "toughness", etc... you immediately think we're asking for the resurrection of Krzysztof Oliwa.
Most teams don’t have many actual useful players that average nearly 3 hits a game. It is not “sad” that Bastian is our most physical player as you said. The list of players I’d want anywhere near this team that are more physical is small.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Most teams don’t have many actual useful players that average nearly 3 hits a game. It is not “sad” that Bastian is our most physical player as you said. The list of players I’d want anywhere near this team that are more physical is small.
You don't need to throw 3 hits per game in order to be gritty or a hard player to play against. It seems as if you evaluate and analyze the game purely based on stats and stats alone.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You don't need to throw 3 hits per game in order to be gritty or a hard player to play against. It seems as if you evaluate and analyze the game purely based on stats and stats alone.
You don’t need stats to see that Bastian is large and an excellent physical presence. The stats just confirm this.

Anyway, good luck finding a non-goon that is bigger or more physical than Nate.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Daws for his age and level of experience has played good....Especially the way the Devils give up the puck....Just wish they would send him down and let him continue to work on his game....

Reactions: Devs3cups

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
we're shit on dump ins, and all our guys are skill guys

stylistically, it'd be nice to have a few people who know how to puck retrieve to change up strategy when we don't have jack or bratt carrying shit in, and typically, those that do that the best have size

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
No one is blaming Geertsen for the decision, Fitz is the GM. People are pointing out we kept this worse fringe guy while we willingly risked losing him.

And they could have waived a defenseman instead Geertsen? Ok. Smith was healthy scratched several times but he played 57 games out of the 70 GP, and at least the 3 first games and 3 games in January he missed were due to injury.

I like Studenic a lot, I’m guessing more than most here, but there’s zero point in debating his potential or crying over spilt milk since he’s gone. It was a dumb move to specifically chose Geertsen as the spare forward though and that’s what happened.

I don’t give a shit about a couple of staged fights.

There are two guys with size and “grit” and toughness that actually make a difference on the Rangers and its Trouba and now Schneider. One cost them a 1st and prospect and gets paid 8m and the other is a 1st round pick. Schneider was the only one who was physical with us in a way that mattered last night. If you want that, then you want someone like Jiricek.

Goodrow’s most noticeable moments were that he had a breakaway on the PK, but he’s so slow Hamilton easily corralled him halfway to our net, and he had a cheap slash on Subban he got away with. Amazing.
Smith doesn't need waivers.

Colton White could have been waived. Jaros could have been waived and Fitz would have known his intentions then instead of at the trade deadline.

I bet Colton White would reported to Utica and still would have if Jaros had been terminated a few weeks before the deadline.

Geertsen is listed as a spare D on CF. If he were listed as an F, emergency loans would not have been possible under the 12 F 6 D 2 G rule.

Geertsen may indeed suck, but his roster spot was not the reason Studenic and Wedgewood were waived.

Hate on Geertsen for his lack of NHL skills, but to think it was simply a choice between Geertsen and Studenic or Geertsen and Wedgewood or even Geertsen and any recall is just, well, being simple.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm unconvinced this is bad for Daws long term, this may be his best opportunity also to carve out an NHL career, tough to take that away from a player trying to make the NHL even if he's 21. Starting him in both games of a back to back...seems extreme though, I hope that doesn't happen again but I'm fine running with him unless it's blatantly obvious he's out of gas and overwhelmed.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
You don’t need stats to see that Bastian is large and an excellent physical presence. The stats just confirm this.

Anyway, good luck finding a non-goon that is bigger or more physical than Nate.
How about we go to both extremes. There's an in between you know from Bastian to Tatar/Johnsson/Zacha/Boqvist.

A guy like Neiderreiter would be an example of who we should target and there's a bunch of guys like that which would make us harder to play against.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
we're shit on dump ins, and all our guys are skill guys

stylistically, it'd be nice to have a few people who know how to puck retrieve to change up strategy when we don't have jack or bratt carrying shit in, and typically, those that do that the best have size
We don't dump and chase because we don't have the roster to do so. Who's flying down the ice to retreive the puck and which dman is scared to go in corners against our forwards? The answer would be absolutely nobody.

If we dump it in, it's basically an automatic turnover. This roster is all about speed and not much else and when the opposition clogs the neutral zone, we're screwed.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He's a rookie playing on a contender and was a fantastic pick. Maybe Sharangovich shouldn't of jumped the guy that hit Vesey in the first place, when the hit was clean? He got a beating for trying to act as a tough guy and got spanked for it.

If you're going to jump someone, you better be ready to answer the bell.

Guess Panarin deserved what he got last year from Wilson by the same token.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm unconvinced this is bad for Daws long term, this may be his best opportunity also to carve out an NHL career, tough to take that away from a player trying to make the NHL even if he's 21. Starting him in both games of a back to back...seems extreme though, I hope that doesn't happen again but I'm fine running with him unless it's blatantly obvious he's out of gas and overwhelmed.
If this really is his best opportunity to carve out an NHL career, then he likely won't have an NHL career. This year may very well not ruin his chances of having an NHL career, but it's really not going to do anything to help it at this point.

He's been played to the point that his hot start has really evaporated the last 3-3.5 weeks and he's not to Gillies territory yet, but at this rate he's definitely pacing towards getting there.

And I'm not convinced we're about to stop playing him. I think there's a reasonable chance he's sent back to Utica before the NHL season ends, but we're probably another 2 weeks or so out from that. Maybe sooner if he really gets blown up badly, like maybe worse than any games yet. Like Gillies in Edmonton or Hammond the other day. That might get him sent back sooner than he was going to be.

We traded a pretty good minor league player in Schnarr (he could have helped Utica) so we better get to playing him more and hopefully just sending Daws back or to the bench for now at the very least.

Until Fitz makes the call to send Daws back, I don't think we're gonna be playing him more.

At this rate, I'd be surprised if Hammond played more than 6 games as a Devil and that's even a generous estimation, as that would mean that he appears in 5 of our last 12 games. Daws would probably have to get sent back in the next 1-2 weeks for Hammond to get in 5 more games, unless Ruff does start sitting him more.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Also there’s no way I want NJD to become more gritty, this team is at its most dangerous when they’re flying with their skating legs. Last thing I want is a Rags offseason from last year because of an overreaction to not having enough guys lay the body in a game. If you want a power forward like Matt Tkachuk, if he ever becomes available with the grace of God, then sure but I’m not hindering this roster with plugs to running around hitting people.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Also there’s no way I want NJD to become more gritty, this team is at its most dangerous when they’re flying with their skating legs. Last thing I want is a Rags offseason from last year because of an overreaction to not having enough guys lay the body in a game. If you want a power forward like Matt Tkachuk, if he ever becomes available with the grace of God, then sure but I’m not hindering this roster with plugs to running around hitting people.
As much as some here dislike those types of players, they might not hold their weight all the time during an entire 82 game season but they will deliver the goods 100X more during a 7 game series when compared to guys like Tatar, Johnsson, Boqvist, Zacha, etc.

When the Habs decided to tell Tatar to f*** off in favour of Jake freaking Evans, that's all you need to know as to what will help a team win a hockey game when it matters the most. Offensive minded yet soft and defensively inept players will never outweight defensive players during the post season. It can talk about it until you're blue in the face, the results will always be the same. You can't have a liability on the ice when you're playing for your season, you just can't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad