GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (21-4-1) vs. New York Islanders (16-11-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
this is literally all i want from the season - my worry is that even if we won it all, people would still not respect it and call it a massive fluke

league needs to be put on notice we're legit

I don't think most people would call it a fluke if we won the Cup. It's not the first time a team has made a massive improvement to win it all.

Hell, it has even happened within the same season: the year the Blues won, they came from the goddam subbasement to charge into the playoffs and stayed hot through the end. And they were celebrated for that comeback! I'm not aware of anybody who would say with a straight face that they were a fluke Cup winner and not legit.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't think most people would call it a fluke if we won the Cup. It's not the first time a team has made a massive improvement to win it all.

Hell, it has even happened within the same season: the year the Blues won, they came from the goddam subbasement to charge into the playoffs and stayed hot through the end. And they were celebrated for that comeback! I'm not aware of anybody who would say with a straight face that they were a fluke Cup winner and not legit.
i think binnington had a fluke year

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People keep saying that but it’s not like Varlamov’s numbers are terribad. Their system still apparently gets the best out of whatever goalie plays
I have long since thought Varlamov’s numbers were inflated playing there. Not so much last year, but definitely that covid year. Now, it was a smaller sample of games played and he started off being above .920% for a while in 19-20 his first year there before ending with a 914% by season’s end, but even combined with playoffs he was close to a .925% in 56 games at 32 years old in a lower save percentage year.

Last year he was decent, but nothing special or worth bragging about, which Sorokin was. I’m pretty sure Sorokin is still better than him at this point, if not a whole ton better than him.

His .922% this year might also be one of those PDO beneficiaries of only playing 9 games so far as opposed to Sorokin’s 19. Think of Schmid being a .949% in 5 games to Vanecek’s .922% in 17 games. Or like those years Corey Schwab was better than Marty with barely any games played the entire year.

I thought that contract was herpes when it was first signed and called it Bobrovsky-lite, as they were both signed the same year. And wasn’t Lou in on Bobrovsky also and Varlamov was the consolation prize for losing that sweepstakes? I also remember talk of it being bait to get Panarin over as they were friends, but I also heard things about Bobrovsky and Panarin hopefully being a package deal, as they were both friends and coming over from the same team.

For some reason I was under the impression for the longest time that this was a 5 year deal and not just a 4 year deal, which would have added to the potential of it turning out to be a horrendous deal.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
One of the few home games I'm missing this season. Don't mind missing seeing those burger king wonder bread puke jerseys on the ice though.

Hope they crush the Islanders as I absolutely can't stand their fans.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I have to do my usual post . Pretty sure I insane for thinking so but it’s been good luck each time I make a post like this .
Islanders have a few weapons to watch out for . Barzal , Dobson , Lee , Parise .They always seem to put up points against us . They go unnoticed for 95% of the game ( we shut them down “almost” perfectly) then they get a lucky bounce or make one play that ends up in the back of our net .Seems like it’s never a skilled goal against thsy score but rather lucky / garbage goals . We need to clear the front of our net effectively , box guys out . If we play our game and win the special teams match , our 5on 5 play and speed will be be too much for those old crusty slow has-beens.
Go Devils Go !

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It took me until last game to finally figure out that our fans at the Rock were cheering “ Vitek” …. I thought they were chanting “ D-fence “ ….. I was rolling my eyes thinking - what the flying Fack ?!? That’s very odd .. cheering “defence “ !?
This isn’t a frickin basketball game ! I thought “Maybe it’s new to the game fans , I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt”

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
BOLD OF YOU
giphy.gif

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Prediction: We outplay them by a decent margin, Sorokin almost manages to steal the game, we manage to pull it out in OT and hand the Isles their first OT loss this year

Bonus prediction: Jack Hughes game winner
I’m going with - We outplay the hell out of them , they get a PP on a weak call by the refs to try to even out the game as we are skating them into the ground , usual game management bullshit .
Then Sorokin stands in his head . We come out in the 3rd all pissed off and skate them out of the rink , score 4 to win 4-1 .

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I’m going with - We outplay the hell out of them , they get a PP on a weak call by the refs to try to even out the game as we are skating them into the ground , usual game management bullshit .
Then Sorokin stands in his head . We come out in the 3rd all pissed off and skate them out of the rink , score 4 to win 4-1 .

Yea, but it sexy jersey night. I think home team + sexy jersey night means favorable calls.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
What’s the deal with Bastian? Completely zero news?

Probably similar timeline to Jack last year. Looked like a dislocated shoulder and I assume he would have had surgery by now if it was torn.*

*I'm not a doctor and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad