GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (20-4-1) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (7-13-4), 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So I have a take on the muted Bratt celly.

It was really nice finish, one timed a hard pass just under the crossbar, but Bratt didn't celebrate too hard because Hughes's pass was the real star there.

I think players handle it different ways, When Dougie finished Hughes's pass he was animated but pointing at Hughes. Other guys like Bratt, if they think the pass was better than the goal they just mute their celly a little bit. He did have a big smile on his face.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think it's hard to tell when the team is starting slow vs. the other team is amped up. My take is that other teams are gunning for us and we're generally just hanging on until we find our feet and the other team levels off a bit.

I actually have a different theory. I think we had a couple slow starts earlier on and we started pressing too hard in 1st periods. We're looking to score and sacrificing defense. We're flying the zone like we used to last year, forcing passes, and taking ill advised point shots, especially after we have a couple high danger scoring chances that don't go in.

I'd rather us expect the other team to come out hard, sit back, weather the storm and be ready to counter-attack.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I actually have a different theory. I think we had a couple slow starts earlier on and we started pressing too hard in 1st periods. We're looking to score and sacrificing defense. We're flying the zone like we used to last year, forcing passes, and taking ill advised point shots, especially after we have a couple high danger scoring chances that don't go in.

I'd rather us expect the other team to come out hard, sit back, weather the storm and be ready to counter-attack.

hmm, we're pressing because of other slow starts and it becomes a self fulfilling thing. Interesting.

Reactions: Nubmer6

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
nico-hischier-wake-up-have-a-good-breakfast.gif

I'm ready to wake up already and have my good breakfast, Cap!

f***. tomorrow is now almond milk and cereal day. thanks nico.

and crepes, fruit and melted swiss chocolate and jams

dark coffee.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Imagine how much more promising their future could be right now if they hadn't traded for Seth Jones.
Part of me thinks that trade for Seth Jones was def a reason they traded Debrincat, to at least try and recoup some of the loss from that trade

Reactions: Guttersniped

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Holtz seemed to have a solid game. No bad penalties or turnovers I remember. And he looked aggressive and dangerous with the puck. In Philly it was the pressuring him with the puck that gave him trouble; he seemed to freeze. Tonight the Hawks did little of that.
Holtz actually had a couple of nice shot blocks too...not that I want him to be a Torts-style soldier but it's nice he has enough recognition to do so.

One of six teams in NHL HISTORY to have 21 or more wins through 26 games.

MSG broadcast showed that right as the game ended.

IN-SANE
Even more amazing when you consider 0-2 and down 0-2 in the third game of the season

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
They simply cant skate with us at that point.

Feels like some of these teams think the first is a sprint but the Devils are built for the long hall. So when you can't skate with them anymore they are still flying all over the ice. Really seems like there is rarely if ever a drop in speed on this team. It's just in 6th gear for 60 minutes.
That was Bill's theory. Teams are giving us their absolute best in the 1st but can't maintain it past that and we take over.
I've been watching more and more out of town games lately and sometimes it feels like I've switched to AHL games due to the slower pace of most of them.

Hyperbole? Perhaps a little bit. But this team is f***ing fast.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Holtz actually had a couple of nice shot blocks too...not that I want him to be a Torts-style soldier but it's nice he has enough recognition to do so.

Even more amazing when you consider 0-2 and down 0-2 in the third game of the season

Jeez. The turn around from being 0-2 and thinking "here we go again" to this has been crazy.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011

It was really nice finish, one timed a hard pass just under the crossbar, but Bratt didn't celebrate too hard because Hughes's pass was the real star there.

I think players handle it different ways, When Dougie finished Hughes's pass he was animated but pointing at Hughes. Other guys like Bratt, if they think the pass was better than the goal they just mute their celly a little bit. He did have a big smile on his face.
Was there a discussion on this? Because I can't remember one celebration where Bratt was not "muted". It's just the way he is and I like it. He's done it before and acts like it.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Jack on pace for
43-G 52-A and 95 P

Bratt
32G 57-A and 88 points

Nico on pace for
35-G 50-A and 85 points

There’s a possibility we could have three forwards with 90 points. Jack will also have a chance at Elias franchise record if he keeps pace

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Jack on pace for
43-G 52-A and 95 P

Bratt
32G 57-A and 88 points

Nico on pace for
35-G 50-A and 85 points

There’s a possibility we could have three forwards with 90 points. Jack will also have a chance at Elias franchise record if he keeps pace

I'm happy Lindy remembers to mention Haula, since while he isn't on the scoreboard, he is doing his part. Even led the forward ice-time this game!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Bratt totally flubbed the shot. It was fluttering end over end. He got lucky it went in and I think that's why he didn't celebrate much.

• Wow
Reactions: HBK27 and glenwo2

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I thought Spaulding had a good observation about the Devils continuing to roll out the third and fourth lines repeatedly late in the third, giving the top 6 a bit of a break. Speaks volumes about Ruff's well-placed trust in the quality of our depth forwards.
So I wasn't going crazy! I was at the game and said to my gf "Hey, that's great, Holtz got benched for awhile before and now he's getting a good amount of time in the third period", and it just turns out that was true of the entire bottom six. Nice!

Reactions: Saugus

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad