GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (19-4-1) @ Philadelphia Flyers (8-11-5), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
BTW, I need to say this :

7341o5.jpg

I mean this is GOD-AWFUL to look back on.

Why the hell would the Devils marketing department do this?

The Devils reverse retro Jerseys were hideous and they played like the Rockies and Scouts against Philly.

$$$$$ there's gonna be people with poor taste who will like it and buy it and then the others who will buy it cause just because it has a Devils logo slapped on it

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
yeah i don’t think he’s “best goalie in the nhl” level good but he had an adjustment period and then really strong numbers at every level, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he could be a goalie here
That’s where you are wrong. Among goalies playing in at least five games Schmid leads in winning perceantage save percentage and goals against average. Clearly thr Vezina favorite. Four plus games is not at all a small sample size. Guys have won cups with fewer regular season appearances.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We have a throwback jersey already. It's red and green and white and it's awesome. Just wear that. Stop calling us the Devils/Rockies/Scouts, I do not know a single Devils fan who gives a single solitary damn about the team's history before it moved to NJ. Nor should they! There's no history there of value!
No other retro to do with this franchise, the reverse of the greens was already done. Blame Adidas. Also, the team doesn’t seem to care much about these since it will only be used at two home games.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
No other retro to do with this franchise, the reverse of the greens was already done. Blame Adidas. Also, the team doesn’t seem to care much about these since it will only be used at two home games.
I know another retro they could do. They're red and white and black and have stripes in the appropriate places.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It's more we already have a third jersey so there simply isn't that many home games to wear a 4th.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I wonder if Torts will ever find a reporter that asks him a NOT-DUMB question? lol

I don’t have a problem with this, he’s not even angry. Not great for reporters but Torts is thinking about his team.

This is good cop Torts, I assume he’s very positive in the locker room considering the team has played well in last two games and a worse offense loses to them in this one. (Like the Isles did.)

No reason to focus on any mistakes, he wants them to keep doing this and not be discouraged by it being a regulation loss. They’re coming out off a recent long losing streak, they need positive reinforcement. They don’t have much higher end talent to put the puck in the net.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t have a problem with this, he’s not even angry. Not great for reporters but Torts is thinking about his team.

This is good cop Torts, I assume he’s very positive in the locker room considering the team has played well in last two games and a worse offense loses to them in this one. (Like the Isles did.)

No reason to focus on any mistakes, he wants them to keep doing this and not be discouraged by it being a regulation loss. They’re coming out off a recent long losing streak, they need positive reinforcement. They don’t have much higher end talent to put the puck in the net.
Torts has actually acted quite the opposite of how I thought he would after their hot start ended.

I really thought he'd be talking about how bad things are and how they just didn't do enough to win (other than being outshot by a ton, which is what happens to them most games) and how he's really now starting to become concerned with the room.

I don't think he's really done any of that for the most part, other than maybe a couple of times. And the part about being concerned with the room, which was before the season even started.

He's actually giving pressers like a guy who knows the team sucks and is badly lacking talent, but doesn't wanna throw guys under the bus because he knows they really can't do any better and really have nothing more to give than this.

Torts is no dummy, he knows his team is no good and I don't think he's delusional and thinks that they are good.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
schmid averages over 3 gaa and has a 0.892 save percentage in the nhl. blackwood has better career stats. the sample size is still way too small for any conclusions.
I know you want to cram all of his few NHL games together, but..................
I can only think that Holtz's benching and Johnsson's recall means Holtz is headed back to the A?? Or?
Send him back. The Comets will take him. Then you'll have to find a new whipping boy. You guys are never happy unless you have somebody to criticize day in and day out. Replace that guy and the team will excel.

Alex is a 20-yr old 2nd yr pro who has to find his way and playing periodically at his age (7 of 25 games and siiting out at one time for 29 straight days) won't get it done. Playing on the 4th line won't do it either. The guy is an offensive player with a rocket for a shot. He needs to be fit into a slot where that makes the Devils a more threatening team to score.

Any player at his age who knows one slip and it's back to the bench or worse the press box, will be squeezing his stick so hard he leaves dents in it. No one can play under that kind of scrutiny especially when he sees the continual blunders being made by everyone else and some seemingly ad infinitum. Yet his mistake causes so many of the fan base to crucifixion level. How many games has Alex Holtz cost the Devils?

He was not a #1 overall. You guys beat up on your other #1 selections until most of them found their way. They had the chance to play on a regular basis and their errors were accepted by management and coaching as learning experience, but not by many of the fan base that only wanted glorious demonstrations every game to prove they were worth their draft spot. Most (not all) have abandoned their negativity with the kids who are now leading this franchise and more are coming. Heaven forbid any of them need a season or 2 to prove their worth. Now that the roster is flush, it appears no one including Ruff (who should know better) is willing to take this path with Alex. Patience with kids is a necessity. If you don't have it, trade your picks for guys already accomplished.

I disagree with how he is being managed and if they don't want to play him, he belongs back with the Comets. He was an undisputed star in the next best NA pro league to the NHL at 19 last season. Everyone said he can't do anymore at that level. He belongs in the NHL. Well, if his use in the NHL is how he is being utilized at the moment, the way veteran plugs are played, he is way better off playing every day in the AHL where the wrinkles the Devils want ironed out can take place. His defensive positioning here in his latest 3-game appearance was better than any other Comet and that includes the other 3 that Devils fans are calling for to take his place. Foote, Thompson, and Clarke. Those 3 are terrible defensively and they are not setting the world on fire offensively either.

Only Gambardella, Schmelzer, and Johnsson come close to Alex in defensive positioning.:

-One just doesn't have any offense and there are many workhorses just like him, so the NHL is not calling, Joe Gambardella. However, if you want someone to model how hard you should work every shift, he is your man. Perfect mentor and leader for kids at this level.
- Schmelzer just can't skate at the NHL level. He does all the little things very well. He is a perfect model for how centers are supposed to feed their wings and leads the Comets in assists as proof. He is the best penalty killer as well. He knows where to be and what to do. He's just way too slow for the next level.
- Johnsson is 7th yr pro with 246 NHL games played. He knows how to play the game and where he should be and what to do when he gets there. He doesn't fit into the Devils' plans and is too costly for a trade in the current cap crisis for most teams. He becomes a UFA at the ed of this season ansd omeone is likely to give him a contract if he takes a cut in salary. The SHL will pay him well if not.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I know you want to cram all of his few NHL games together, but..................

Send him back. The Comets will take him. Then you'll have to find a new whipping boy. You guys are never happy unless you have somebody to criticize day in and day out. Replace that guy and the team will excel.

Alex is a 20-yr old 2nd yr pro who has to find his way and playing periodically at his age (7 of 25 games and siiting out at one time for 29 straight days) won't get it done. Playing on the 4th line won't do it either. The guy is an offensive player with a rocket for a shot. He needs to be fit into a slot where that makes the Devils a more threatening team to score.

Any player at his age who knows one slip and it's back to the bench or worse the press box, will be squeezing his stick so hard he leaves dents in it. No one can play under that kind of scrutiny especially when he sees the continual blunders being made by everyone else and some seemingly ad infinitum. Yet his mistake causes so many of the fan base to crucifixion level. How many games has Alex Holtz cost the Devils?

He was not a #1 overall. You guys beat up on your other #1 selections until most of them found their way. They had the chance to play on a regular basis and their errors were accepted by management and coaching as learning experience, but not by many of the fan base that only wanted glorious demonstrations every game to prove they were worth their draft spot. Most (not all) have abandoned their negativity with the kids who are now leading this franchise and more are coming. Heaven forbid any of them need a season or 2 to prove their worth. Now that the roster is flush, it appears no one including Ruff (who should know better) is willing to take this path with Alex. Patience with kids is a necessity. If you don't have it, trade your picks for guys already accomplished.

I disagree with how he is being managed and if they don't want to play him, he belongs back with the Comets. He was an undisputed star in the next best NA pro league to the NHL at 19 last season. Everyone said he can't do anymore at that level. He belongs in the NHL. Well, if his use in the NHL is how he is being utilized at the moment, the way veteran plugs are played, he is way better off playing every day in the AHL where the wrinkles the Devils want ironed out can take place. His defensive positioning here in his latest 3-game appearance was better than any other Comet and that includes the other 3 that Devils fans are calling for to take his place. Foote, Thompson, and Clarke. Those 3 are terrible defensively and they are not setting the world on fire offensively either.

Only Gambardella, Schmelzer, and Johnsson come close to Alex in defensive positioning.:

-One just doesn't have any offense and there are many workhorses just like him, so the NHL is not calling, Joe Gambardella. However, if you want someone to model how hard you should work every shift, he is your man. Perfect mentor and leader for kids at this level.
- Schmelzer just can't skate at the NHL level. He does all the little things very well. He is a perfect model for how centers are supposed to feed their wings and leads the Comets in assists as proof. He is the best penalty killer as well. He knows where to be and what to do. He's just way too slow for the next level.
- Johnsson is 7th yr pro with 246 NHL games played. He knows how to play the game and where he should be and what to do when he gets there. He doesn't fit into the Devils' plans and is too costly for a trade in the current cap crisis for most teams. He becomes a UFA at the ed of this season ansd omeone is likely to give him a contract if he takes a cut in salary. The SHL will pay him well if not.

Holtz got benched along with 2 other players, it happens, but it's clearly not the plan moving forward - Holtz was given ice time late against the Predators and received 15 minutes in that game. That isn't the plan going forward either, but I don't expect many games where Ruff will shorten the bench like that.

Camille the Eel

I thought the Flyers played well. Consider that we are a damned good team and they played us even for two periods and gave us a great deal of trouble. Twice this year they've shown they can be competitive against us. It was the usual Torts recipe, tough, physical play, clog up center ice and pack it in, in front of the goalie. Play your position. He doesn't have the talent there to finish their chances but I think they are better than their record and close, if a couple of kids can develop some scoring touch, to being much better. Certainly they played 110% and didn't quit. Starting out on their long overdue rebuild, they have a good plan. I continue to be impressed by Hayes. He's the guy the Rags should have kept.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Posters forget how young Holtz is. His development path is typical for a guy his age. We've been spoiled by Bratt and to a lesser extent Hischier and Hughes (1st overalls typically always go straight to NHL) for making the NHL as teenagers.

Not every forward can light the world on fire at such a young age. He'll be a good one.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I thought the Flyers played well. Consider that we are a damned good team and they played us even for two periods and gave us a great deal of trouble. Twice this year they've shown they can be competitive against us. It was the usual Torts recipe, tough, physical play, clog up center ice and pack it in, in front of the goalie. Play your position. He doesn't have the talent their to finish but I think they are better than their record and close, if a couple of kids can develop some scoring touch, to being much better. Certainly they played 110% and didn't quit. Starting out on their long overdue rebuild, they have a good plan.

I agree with most of this but you definitely lose me at the end with “Starting out on their long overdue rebuild, they have a good plan”.

They’re losing but that’s different than a rebuild and we would know.

When Fletcher is fired their new GM, like Fitz, is going to have to work with Philly’s 2023 and 2024 2nd round picks already being gone.

That’s after Fletcher trading away their 2019 PHI 2nd (#41) and 2022 PHI 2nd (#36), as well as their 2021 PHI 1st (#14).

He traded away all of this (and more) between June 2019-July 2022 and what do they get for it?
DeAngelo 2 years/5m
Ristolainen on a 5 year/5.1m extension
Braun on a 2 year/1.8m extension (They got NYR’s 2023 3rd for Braun at the TDL and then resigned him this off-season.)

They have two extra picks in 2023 (a 3rd & a 4th) but no 2nd.
They have Florida’s 1st in 2024 but no 2nd or 5th.

Unless they plan on more aggressively selling off pieces they aren’t going to get the extra draft assets they need to do a real rebuild. Their ownership needs to admit Fletcher’s “aggressive retool” is failure and they are in fact rebuilding.

Torts is the only guy in the building talking rebuild. Fletcher is still actively contradicting him and peddling injuries as the excuse for their poor performance.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
schmid averages over 3 gaa and has a 0.892 save percentage in the nhl. blackwood has better career stats. the sample size is still way too small for any conclusions.
Schmid is a 2nd year pro. His rookie AHL numbers as a rookie were 2.60G AA / .911 SAV%. for 38 GP.
Last season before the Devils placed him into their lineup where every other goalie to play in front of that team sucked, his numbers in Utica were in the top level of AHL keepers. He was not ready for that promotion in any way shape or form. When he came back to Utica he was not the same guy who left and his numbers shot up. He gradually became the original Akira we were familiar with before he left and those numbers came back down to what you see above.

This season before being called up his AHL numbers were 1.97GAA / .918 SAV% in 4 GP.
His numbers in NJ are 1.24 GAA / .953 SAV% in the 4 games he started . Overall 1.42 GAA/ .949 SAV% in 5 GP.
This is the Akira Schmid this season. Last year was not what he has grown into. He had an offseason to work on things and he is not that other guy. He has cleaned up a lot of his rough edges and is much more confident. Will his numbers stay this elite? Probably not, but I expect he will remain a good keeper. When Blackwood comes back which seems to be soon, he will return to Utica and continue to rotate with Daws. 2 2nd year pros honing their skills to very high levels. Daws is currently posting a 2.57 GAA / .908 SAV% behind a team whose forwards in particlular leave him out to dry on many occasions, certain members of his D have begun coughing up the puck for 10 bell chances, and their PK is not so good. I would say over the 1st 8 or 9 games Schmid was looking better than Daws.

Lumping in his baptism under fire numbers, which he should never have been thrust into in the first place, and under normal NHL circumstances neither he nor Daws would have been subjected to, is a bit over the top.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I like the Jersey Jersey better than our normal jerseys. Bring back our stripes!

The striping on the Jersey Jerseys are really good, the center logo is the only real issue.

Honestly these retro reverses have solid striping too, I think you could tweak those into our normal colors and they would be superior to the current main jerseys.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I mean, I love the breakdown you did here. I'm hopeful for Holtz and I think he's played well, but obviously the coaching staff saw some things, and no matter what you come to with, the fact is that Zetterlund stepped into his role with no hiccups and has been the more effective player overall, and for sure Holtz should be sent downn to the AHL until there's a spot he can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad