GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (19-13-2, 40 Pts) @ Boston Bruins, (20-7-6, 40 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Don’t think we were outplayed at all in the first. The 2nd was rough, but doesn’t really change my point about the goalie keeping us in it.
The play was more even outside of the shift they got pinned for 2 minutes, but that probably should have been a warning for how things could go, and unfortunately they did go that way after they went up 2-0.

It's kind of the same thing that happened the last time they had a back-to-back where they started okay but then looked gassed the rest of the game. It's just bizarre given how good they were at these last year. 1 win in 8 games on the back end of a back-to-back when you've got 8 more of them is not good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you toss the two games where he played back to back against the Sharks and Ducks, Schmid's S% is .906, above the league average, right above Markstrom.

I'd love a goalie with a .906 S% on Non-B2B games right now. We had one.
I usually don’t like this kind of data snooping, as people usually use these to rationalize and reach to make a goalie/player (usually a goalie) look better than they are, but where Schmid really didn’t play a sizable number of games to begin with this year, I think it’s fair to microscope and break down his situational play this year.

Hopefully this is the game the ends making Vitek happen. I think it will be the end, at least until Daws has a 3,4,5 goal against game and then we’re right back to throwing Vitek out there because they’d rather go down in flames with him than one of the kids. Because that’s what happened with Schmid.

I’m trying to think of what game ended Blackwood last year. And I don’t mean for good (obviously the regular season finale lol) but I mean the end of giving him more than backup games? I think it may have been Boston right before Christmas, but it may have been the 5-4 Carolina shootout loss around New Years. I think from then on we’d only see him either in a set of back to back or maybe once a week at most if there were no back to backs. He did wind up getting injured again for another few weeks in February-March though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood only played in 4 games in January of 2023 and I think he was dressed for all but maybe one or two?

One of the games he wasn’t dressed for was one he would have probably started because it was night two of a back to back, but he got hurt in warm ups the night before and Schmid was called up to play the Blues and didn’t do so good. Blackwood only played 4 games in January and the first was actually on New Year’s Day.

That’s where we’re at with Vitek now. Where he shouldn’t really start more than 4 of the 12 games next month.

I’ll say 5 just because only 4 seems too much to ask for.

But he’ll probably play 7 or 8 of them.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Me too

But probably not for the same reasons as you

I am because I know Vitek will probably play 7 or 8 of the 12 games in January, instead of only the 4 or 5 he probably should play, and it could be a painful month if that happens.
What’re your thoughts on this team’s playoff chances? Let’s say other than the goaltending lol. Does this team make it? We’ve seen teams taking a step back to take a step forward, it’s early in our window, could it bring some positive in the long run?

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
What’re your thoughts on this team’s playoff chances? Let’s say other than the goaltending lol. Does this team make it? We’ve seen teams taking a step back to take a step forward, it’s early in our window, could it bring some positive in the long run?

I don't think we are in our window. Last year made it look like it opened but I still feel we need to improve in a couple areas. Of course having goalie play where we get .910 would change that, but I still think we need to fix out style of play a little bit.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Folks, it will be very difficult for NJ to NOT make the playoffs. Caps and Isles aren’t good. Devils also been trending upwards for the last month. We went from behind Wings, Habs, Pens and Tampa to being in front of them all and tied in a wild card with a freefalling Caps while only 3 pts back of 2nd. Devils can make it with the way they are currently playing.

If they continue improving and get the magical average goaltending? Then they are back in discussion as a potential noise maker in the postseason

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Devils started good, but 12 mins in Boston started getting their legs while Devils were getting tired and that’s where it tilted. Was still a good 1st IMO

Devils were doing OK in the 2nd, keeping things to perimeter. Then the Vitek giveaway happened and the rest was history

I liked how the Devils pushed in 3rd, obviously Boston wasn’t trying to push, but I liked how the Devils didn’t fold in terms of effort in the 3rd

Need a goalie doe

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 11.32.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 11.33.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 11.35.10 PM.png

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Honestly, even if they make it, they're not going anywhere unless Daws is the hero we need. Clearly, Ruff isn't getting fired so we need a real goalie.

Even though the much better and realistic solution is to fire that joke of a coach and get a better system in place.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Other than goaltending does this team make it? Yes.

Will goaltending cause us not to make it? Possibly.

There are some flaws with this team that I didn’t see last year. Last year they were explosive and a threat to score almost every shift. The rush game was some of the best I’ve seen. It’s not like that this year. Something is missing in the rush game. The team doesn’t seem as fast as last year’s and the rush is also a bit less tight? Organized? Definitely less effective. Is that because Brunette is gone? Probably. Does that mean Travis Green is making things worse? Not sure. I don’t know enough about what he does here, but I do know he was a shit head coach in the NHL and shouldn’t even be an option here.

Siegenthaler has been so bad that I’m really worried he really isn’t gonna be particularly good again. Good thing his contract is not horrible.

I’m afraid if we miss the playoffs that we just run it back with Ruff again (it should be an auto firing if we miss the playoffs and Green should never be an option) but Rogalski will be this year’s version of Nas and Recchi and be fired Instead, which needs to happen anyway. And then we hear “Oh Dougie was injured for 6 months. Jack and Nico both missed a bunch of games in October/November! We have no goalie again! Timo couldn’t stay healthy! It’s hard when we got kids manning the blue line!” And just run it all back with the same stuff.

I’m kind of afraid of acquiring one of these older, overpaid, declining goalies if we miss the playoffs too.

I do think a playoff miss guarantees Vitek’s expulsion from the team. His days seem numbered here anyway. And we’ve all seen just this year goalies going from playing every other game for their teams to being waived the next day out of nowhere. So just because we keep forcing him out there doesn’t mean that’s indicative of how the organization feels about him.

He’ll either be a cap dump to someone like Chicago or one or the other dumping grounds (maybe San Jose after Kahkonen walks and it’ll be a reunion with Blackwood) or he’ll go back as a goalie for another we acquire via trade.

I don’t know. I’d be annoyed if we missed and still ran it back with everyone. Or if it caused us to acquire one of the has-been goalies that are overpaid.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Other than goaltending does this team make it? Yes.

Will goaltending cause us not to make it? Possibly.

There are some flaws with this team that I didn’t see last year. Last year they were explosive and a threat to score almost every shift. The rush game was some of the best I’ve seen. It’s not like that this year. Something is missing in the rush game. The team doesn’t seem as fast as last year’s and the rush is also a bit less tight? Organized? Definitely less effective. Is that because Brunette is gone? Probably. Does that mean Travis Green is making things worse? Not sure. I don’t know enough about what he does here, but I do know he was a shit head coach in the NHL and shouldn’t even be an option here.

Siegenthaler has been so bad that I’m really worried he really isn’t gonna be particularly good again. Good thing his contract is not horrible.

I’m afraid if we miss the playoffs that we just run it back with Ruff again (it should be an auto firing if we miss the playoffs and Green should never be an option) but Rogalski will be this year’s version of Nas and Recchi and be fired Instead, which needs to happen anyway. And then we hear “Oh Dougie was injured for 6 months. Jack and Nico both missed a bunch of games in October/November! We have no goalie again! Timo couldn’t stay healthy! It’s hard when we got kids manning the blue line!” And just run it all back with the same stuff.

I’m kind of afraid of acquiring one of these older, overpaid, declining goalies if we miss the playoffs too.

I do think a playoff miss guarantees Vitek’s expulsion from the team. His days seem numbered here anyway. And we’ve all seen just this year goalies going from playing every other game for their teams to being waived the next day out of nowhere. So just because we keep forcing him out there doesn’t mean that’s indicative of how the organization feels about him.

He’ll either be a cap dump to someone like Chicago or one or the other dumping grounds (maybe San Jose after Kahkonen walks and it’ll be a reunion with Blackwood) or he’ll go back as a goalie for another we acquire via trade.

I don’t know. I’d be annoyed if we missed and still ran it back with everyone. Or if it caused us to acquire one of the has-been goalies that are overpaid.

Jonas is definitely an issue. Regardless, I feel as though we need Simon and Luke to mature a bit and put on some more muscle. Still thinks the team needs to get a little bit heavier on the puck and improve around the net. With that said, if we got slightly above average goaltending we would be in the mix to go further than a 1st round exit when we make it.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Goaltending is a major problem around the league. NHL goaltending is quite frankly, pathetic. It's absurdly bad. I'd say 90% of NHL goaltenders are consistently barely average to below average. Horrendous stuff. Most NHL goalies aren't consistent either year in year out.
Average save percentage league wide is 903

And Gaa is 2.96

Seems pretty attainable until you look at Viteks numbers

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
.906 for Schmid on non back to backs.

I'd run with Daws and see what he has. Give him 8 of the next 12.
That’s what I wanna see.

12 games in the month of January before a week break for the all star game.

Vitek should only start about 4 of them. That’s one start a week.

Somehow we both know he’ll probably start 7 or 8 of them though.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Tom really needs to act now and not a month and a half from now.
All the teams with goalies they'd potentialy move are holding onto them until the deadline, waiting for someone desperate to offer something stupid. Buffalo is seemingly refusing to waive Eric Comrie for example, go read their board about how annoyed that's making them. The Blue Jackets are carrying Spencer Martin as a 3rd goalie, these teams smell blood and desperation and they aren't even offering real solutions.

There's no move to make except a dumb one most likely, just rotate the three guys under contract until the deadline, give extra starts to whoever earns them.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
All the teams with goalies they'd potentialy move are holding onto them until the deadline, waiting for someone desperate to offer something stupid. Buffalo is seemingly refusing to waive Eric Comrie for example, go read their board about how annoyed that's making them. The Blue Jackets are carrying Spencer Martin as a 3rd goalie, these teams smell blood and desperation and they aren't even offering real solutions.

There's no move to make except a dumb one most likely, just rotate the three guys under contract until the deadline, give extra starts to whoever earns them.
Unfortunately, that's the goalie market right now. Trading big assets for mid garbage.

Honestly, I'd give Daws some rope for a while. Let him get in a groove. We know what we have in Vitek, can it really be worse?

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vitek is what -11 saves expected
Take 11 goals away from GA and this team is in the middle of the pack defensive wise which is a hell of a lot better than where they are now
Coming into this game he was close to a half a goal more allowed than expected per 60 on moneypuck.

It’ll be worse after tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad