GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (19-13-2, 40 Pts) @ Boston Bruins, (20-7-6, 40 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just the Rannta waivers and Halak PTO thing

But @Bleedred probably knows more
Detroit brought in Hutchinson after Husso got injured and I think it was Lyon that briefly got injured too. They gave Hutchinson the start against us, but just waived him yesterday.

They went from 3 goalies to 1 in Reimer and had to sign Hutchinson, but Lyon has since come back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm actually tired of talking about acquiring a goalie.

How about this?

We have 12 games in the month of January. I think only one back to back? Is that right? But it's next weekend.

I'd like to see Vitek start no more than 4 or 5 of those 12 games. How about that? Unless Daws is playing worse than Vitek this year, which is HARD to do, I don't wanna see Vitek play or at least not start more than about 4 or 5 games next month. Let's see how that works. Is that not fair?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's the same bs everytime we lose in here. The goaltending , the coach , the penalty kill etc.

They got outplayed in the 2nd after going up 2 to 0 and didn't really have much of a response for the rest of the game. Ruff and the team couldn't get it together , giving up 3 goals in roughly 4 minutes just wrecked this team. It was nice winning 3 games straight but we finally play an above average team and we choke away a 2 goal lead like it's nothing. Still in the hunt for a playoff spot but they need to rebound from this loss Wednesday and beat the Caps. A regulation win would be big.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
it was a team collapse and not just Vitek. Sounds like a broken record I know. I’m not excusing him either. But it was a shooting gallery around him before the dam broke and Vitek doesn’t function well under those conditions. He made a bunch of tough saves but eventually broke down. Our entire team eventually broke down under Boston’s onslaught. Give the Bruins credit too.

Take a look at Pasternak’s power play goal from the joint responsibility angle. We clear the puck but don’t get it deep. Terrible change by two of our PKer’s with the puck feet from them at the opposing blue line, and we gift Pasta a partial breakaway.

This was a team meltdown with 5 minutes left in the second. Vitek was responsible too but hardly the culprit in and of himself. I’ve often noticed that he doesn’t do well with sustained high danger shot volume. But he is what he is and is what we have and we can win with him when we play right. By 35 minutes in tonight against their attrition tactics we just had nothing left.
It was a 5 minutes collapse, it's unfortunate our goalie couldn't keep us in it for once.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
OUR GOALIE STARTED THE ENTIRE f***ING PARADE OF GOALS FOR CHRIST SAKES!

He gave the f***ing puck away on the first goal!

He didn't just not stop a shot on the first goal that someone else caused, HE CAUSED that entire scoring chance and scramble. HE turned the god damn puck over.

That's on the goalie. That's arguably WORSE than the goalie letting in a shot from 60 feet away that someone else caused. Because he didn't not stop a shot, he CAUSED the shot/chance.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Goaltending is a major problem around the league. NHL goaltending is quite frankly, pathetic. It's absurdly bad. I'd say 90% of NHL goaltenders are consistently barely average to below average. Horrendous stuff. Most NHL goalies aren't consistent either year in year out.

The game is so much quicker now and the league has been doing a number on removing a lot of the things that players got away with years ago. We could be entering another era where league-wide S% dips below .900 for a decade or two.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vitek is now FAMOUS for these spurts of 3 goals in just several minutes going back to game 4 of the Carolina series.

It happened that game, it happened in the Islanders game last month, where Schmid came in and cleaned up his mess and we came back and won in the last minute of regulation.

It happened just a few starts ago against Edmonton.

It happened again tonight.

That's one thing Schmid hasn't done. He's let in two quick ones more than once, he's let in the first goal of the game, like everybody does on this team (tonight was a rare time it didn't happen) this year, but allowing multiple goals in just minutes is not something he did. Blackwood did it sometimes, but I think Vitek in his last 25 games has done it more than Blackwood ever did in a 25 game span. That's pretty bad.

Maybe the other goalies don't allow goals like that in such short order because they don't play enough games for it to happen to them? Maybe. Okay. Next question. Why the f*** aren't they playing more games? They don't perform worse than he does.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Vitek is now FAMOUS for these spurts of 3 goals in just several minutes going back to game 4 of the Carolina series.

It happened that game, it happened in the Islanders game last month, where Schmid came in and cleaned up his mess and we came back and won in the last minute of regulation.

It happened just a few starts ago against Edmonton.

It happened again tonight.

That's one thing Schmid hasn't done. He's let in two quick ones more than once, he's let in the first goal of the game, like everybody does on this team (tonight was a rare time it didn't happen) this year, but allowing multiple goals in just minutes is not something he did. Blackwood did it sometimes, but I think Vitek in his last 25 games has done it more than Blackwood ever did in a 25 game span. That's pretty bad.

Maybe the other goalies don't allow goals like that in such short order because they don't play enough games for it to happen to them? Maybe. Okay. Next question. Why the f*** aren't they playing more games? They don't perform worse than he does.
This to me is the biggest indicator of a guy with an incredibly fragile mentality.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
OUR GOALIE STARTED THE ENTIRE f***ING PARADE OF GOALS FOR CHRIST SAKES!

He gave the f***ing puck away on the first goal!

He didn't just not stop a shot on the first goal that someone else caused, HE CAUSED that entire scoring chance and scramble. HE turned the god damn puck over.

That's on the goalie. That's arguably WORSE than the goalie letting in a shot from 60 feet away that someone else caused. Because he didn't not stop a shot, he CAUSED the shot/chance.
Vitek is a backup goalie. The problem is Schmid has been ass this year and Daws has less NHL experience so it's asking alot for him to stabilize our goaltending. It'd possible he can atleast help to get us average goaltending but we will only know if he actually plays a good chunk of games.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vitek is broken here. Just forget about him.

Yeah, play him when you have to, like tonight. Daws shouldn't have played back to backs.

But don't expect him to come back from this or really come back from last playoffs.

Don't worry about acquiring a goalie right now. There's nothing we can do, other than letting someone else run with it. That's something we haven't tried yet.

Vitek is a backup goalie. The problem is Schmid has been ass this year and Daws has less NHL experience so it's asking alot for him to stabilize our goaltending. It'd possible he can atleast help to get us average goaltending but we will only know if he actually plays a good chunk of games.
If Schmid has just been ass then it's not the worst ass I've ever seen. It may not be a hot one, but it ain't swamp ass.

Vitek has been SWAMP ASS.

And Vitek has SUSTAINED this HORRIFIC play in a significant number of games, while Schmid didn't even get 15?

Daws needs to be actually given the chance to play a good chunk of games, because the other option isn't getting it done.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011

Schmid's assiness is 0.15% better than Vitek.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This to me is the biggest indicator of a guy with an incredibly fragile mentality.
He's done here. Checked out. It's over.

He literally goes from playing arguably his best period of the year to starting the Bruins furious night of scoring by giving the puck away after we make it 2-0.

We already know he saw a sports psychologist over what happened in the playoffs and what happened in the playoffs has carried over into this year.

There's no coming back from this here.

Play him when you HAVE to, not when you don't NEED to.

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Vitek is broken here. Just forget about him.

Yeah, play him when you have to, like tonight. Daws shouldn't have played back to backs.

But don't expect him to come back from this or really come back from last playoffs.

Don't worry about acquiring a goalie right now. There's nothing we can do, other than letting someone else run with it. That's something we haven't tried yet.

If Schmid has just been ass then it's not the worst ass I've ever seen. It may not be a hot one, but it ain't swamp ass.

Vitek has been SWAMP ASS.

And Vitek has SUSTAINED this HORRIFIC play in a significant number of games, while Schmid didn't even get 15?

Daws needs to be actually given the chance to play a good chunk of games, because the other option isn't getting it done.

edit: add lyrics

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schmid's assiness is 0.15% better than Vitek.
And not to mention that Schmid didn't even get to play a ton of games.

Color me skeptical that Schmid is an .881% or whatever Vitek is if he played the 24 or 25 however many games Vitek has played this year?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Don’t think we were outplayed at all in the first. The 2nd was rough, but doesn’t really change my point about the goalie keeping us in it.
We definitely were. Shots, shot attempts, HD chances, scoring chances. All tilted pretty heavily toward Boston.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don’t think we were outplayed at all in the first. The 2nd was rough, but doesn’t really change my point about the goalie keeping us in it.
The only thing I had a problem with in the 1st was the marathon shift, where we were pinned in for at least 2 minutes and Vitek lost his stick, which has become another Vitek-ism that seems to be a thing now that happens more games than not.

That's when I made the joke about what a warrior shift from Helgeson and Warsofsky.

I'm sure they got 3 or 4 shots on that shift alone.

We were lucky not to get scored on there. I think they did hit a post.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Devils started good, but 12 mins in Boston started getting their legs while Devils were getting tired and that’s where it tilted. Was still a good 1st IMO

Devils were doing OK in the 2nd, keeping things to perimeter. Then the Vitek giveaway happened and the rest was history

I liked how the Devils pushed in 3rd, obviously Boston wasn’t trying to push, but I liked how the Devils didn’t fold in terms of effort in the 3rd

Need a goalie doe

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
And not to mention that Schmid didn't even get to play a ton of games.

Color me skeptical that Schmid is an .881% or whatever Vitek is if he played the 24 or 25 however many games Vitek has played this year?

If you toss the two games where he played back to back against the Sharks and Ducks, Schmid's S% is .906, above the league average, right above Markstrom.

I'd love a goalie with a .906 S% on Non-B2B games right now. We had one.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The goals just went in during that 5 minute stretch. They were outplayed for most of the first 2 periods.
Yeah what’s frustrating is that it’s hard to be confident the Devils will turn things around just with a better goaltender. Vanecek could’ve put up a .903 game tonight and the Devils still would have lost 3-2. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vanecek is pretty clearly one of the worst goalies in the league this season but Ruff’s handling of the situation has been just as bad. The only reason the Devils aren’t vying for Celebrini is because half the roster is capable of 1v5ing the other team at any given moment.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Watched the game and I disagree with the metrics there. There was one rough shift I remember, but other than that I don’t remember anything egregious.
That shift late, did skew the stats, but that shift did happen. Very dominant shift by Boston.

And there were a couple other shifts in the first where we went -3 cf.

We didn't generate a whole lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2