GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (15-22-5) @ The Should Be Hartford Whalers (29-9-2), 7 PM, MSG+

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
he let in some clunkers but gave us a chance to win 2 games in a row - making some very tough stops on the way. Last night in particular he wasn’t to blame. I am not expecting him to win any 2 to 1 games.
Of course. I'm just saying the 2nd goal was trash and proved to be the difference. It has to be incredibly deflating giving up goals that early in games. I'd bet we've given up the most goals in less than 5 mins in the entire league. The first and 2nd periods though the Devils were the better team. Unfortunately that didnt carry over into the 3rd where they were outshot 10-2, but Gillies played well enough after the first two goals on 4 shots and deserved a better fate.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
he let in some clunkers but gave us a chance to win 2 games in a row - making some very tough stops on the way. Last night in particular he wasn’t to blame. I am not expecting him to win any 2 to 1 games.
He gave us a chance and as you said we aren’t winning games scoring only 1 goal. With that being said, when’s the last time we’ve had a game where our goalie hasn’t given up an absolute stinker? Would be nice.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
He gave us a chance and as you said we aren’t winning games scoring only 1 goal. With that being said, when’s the last time we’ve had a game where our goalie didn’t give up an absolute stinker? Would be nice.

honestly “having a chance to win” is a step in the right direction so i’m not gonna complain. we had one game where all of our secondary scorers came out and they’ve all been silent since for the most part, that’s been the difference against tampa and carolina but those are two excellent teams. these have been two of the “best losses” as far as how the whole team has played in a while if that makes sense

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
honestly “having a chance to win” is a step in the right direction so i’m not gonna complain. we had one game where all of our secondary scorers came out and they’ve all been silent since for the most part, that’s been the difference against tampa and carolina but those are two excellent teams. these have been two of the “best losses” as far as how the whole team has played in a while if that makes sense
Can 100% get on board with that. The last 2 games weren’t bad losses. Bratt and Hughes had good games once again, but as we always say, if they don’t get on the scoresheet, we’re doomed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Of course. I'm just saying the 2nd goal was trash and proved to be the difference. It has to be incredibly deflating giving up goals that early in games. I'd bet we've given up the most goals in less than 5 mins in the entire league. The first and 2nd periods though the Devils were the better team. Unfortunately that didnt carry over into the 3rd where they were outshot 10-2, but Gillies played well enough after the first two goals on 4 shots and deserved a better fate.
Gillies made some huge stops at the beginning of the game when it was scoreless.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Gillies made some huge stops at the beginning of the game when it was scoreless.

He did? He faced two shots before the first goal. You’ll have to refresh my memory there.

Clearly the game isn’t on Gillies, he performed well enough after going down 2-0 to earn a better fate. But, the goals he gave up were not exactly world beating plays, even if there was spotty coverage.

We had chances in this one to get the equalizer, just couldn’t get it to go followed by a brutal 3rd period where we were manhandled.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Gillies gave up 2 goals on his first 4 shots faced. I don’t necessarily remember the other 2 shots he saved that weren’t goals, so they might have been great saves, but I doubt it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pretty sure the first shot he faced was a big save down low on the middle of the ice and other right on the side of the net in tight too...

My memory of timing could be off.. I'll have to go back and rewatch

Camille the Eel

He makes some unbelievable saves at times but often tends to get out of position and also not to know where the puck is. In one of the losses he stopped a penalty shot and then another break in from the side where he thought he had the puck. He didn't, it was lying there next to him and he was oblivious and the forward tapped it in. In another recent game he left a potential wrap around so open it made you gasp - the forward didn't see it (I think it was Tampa) but he was just stuck there oblivious.

He's a curious goalie. Good reactions. Will come way out boldly to challenge a shooter, last night came flying out on someone towards the end and stacked the pads and stopped one, so he's impulsive and reactionary. He has good reflexes, a great glove and is huge, takes up a lot of space. His positioning and awareness of where the puck is on the other hand is like Neanderthal at times.

It's curious that he's been stuck in the AHL so long after a debut a few years back. Because clearly he's as capable of being a second best fill in as say Scott Wedgewood, who is starting games in Arizona or as the guys in Buffalo.

I think we ride him right now. Don't know we have much choice actually.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He makes some unbelievable saves at times but often tends to get out of position and also not to know where the puck is. In one of the losses he stopped a penalty shot and then another break in from the side where he thought he had the puck. He didn't, it was lying there next to him and he was oblivious and the forward tapped it in. In another recent game he left a potential wrap around so open it made you gasp - the forward didn't see it (I think it was Tampa) but he was just stuck there oblivious.

He's a curious goalie. Good reactions. Will come way out boldly to challenge a shooter, last night came flying out on someone towards the end and stacked the pads and stopped one, so he's impulsive and reactionary. He has good reflexes, a great glove and is huge, takes up a lot of space. His positioning and awareness of where the puck is on the other hand is like Neanderthal at times.

It's curious that he's been stuck in the AHL so long after a debut a few years back. Because clearly he's as capable of being a second best fill in as say Scott Wedgewood, who is starting games in Arizona or as the guys in Buffalo.

I think we ride him right now. Don't know we have much choice actually.
One thing I did notice while watching him in person is that he appeared to either be slow in picking it up or just slow reacting to a few shots. He did make some very good saves last night though and deserved better.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He looked awkward on the second goal, but I think the players coming to the net kind of knocked it loose from him or might have interfered (not illegally, just incidentally) with his ability to cover it up.

He looked extremely awkward on it, but I couldn’t nail him on either goal.

First goal was a bank hander from close range and it didn’t go through him, nor beat him short side from what I remember. The guy just backhanded it around his left skate and the far side post.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another reason I didn’t have much of a problem with what Gillies did on that Martinook goal was that he did a spin a Rama move before firing it.

I’ve counted those goals as stoppable on a goalie before, but only if it’s either from further out or if it goes through the goalie or beats him short side and he’s not up against his post.

Somebody scored one the other night and I gave the goalie a stoppable goal for it. I forget who it was now, but the shot was from either the mid to high slot or the circles. I can’t even remember anymore.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Not sure why giving an in-depth analysis of how our 5th string goalie played . He is not an NHL starter and won’t be moving forward . We are stuck with what we have and the rest of the season will be an abortion of a season

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Not sure why giving an in-depth analysis of how our 5th string goalie played . He is not an NHL starter and won’t be moving forward . We are stuck with what we have and the rest of the season will be an abortion of a season
What would you like us to talk about? Take your pick of previously discussed topics...

1. Why is Jack a disgrace?
2. Why does Zacha suck so bad?
3. Why is Severson still here?
4. What can we do to get Nico going?
5. Will Nico ever hit 60 points?
6. Why are we playing Blackwood so much?
7. Fire Ruff.
8. Fire Recchi
9. Our Jersey Jerseys are trash.
10 Helmet ads are stupid.
11. etc

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah, I kinda figured when you said he made some big saves early on.
I admit I am not paying close attention...hard to when the team is this bad ..but I was pretty sure he made a huge stop in the first two minutes at point blank and other shortly after at the side of net

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What would you like us to talk about? Take your pick of previously discussed topics...

7. Fire Ruff.
8. Fire Recchi
11. etc
True .
Maybe what options are out there for trade and what we could do in the off-season ? I don’t know . It sucks when the season is already essentially over

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

7. Fire Ruff.
8. Fire Recchi
11. etc

goal song baby!

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad