GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (1-0-1, 3 Pts) vs. Florida Panthers (0-2-0, 0 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Was that goof cursing all night? If so next time send a text to the prudential center security, hell do it anyway. Maybe they'll toss his dumb ass out if enough people complained.
He was using some profanity.

It's cool we have a somewhat famous fan but I really don't like Barstool Sports and the toolbag generation of kids and young adults they have molded over the last few years.

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
Look for the zero on the x-axis (the bottom). Any bar sticking out to the left of the zero is negative (bad), any bar sticking out to the right is positive (good). Each bar is a different color to reflect what is being measured, there is a legend at the bottom.

Start at the bottom with Brendan Smith - no positive bars at all, and two negative bars. His defensive performance is a small negative bar, his offense performance was a huge negative bar. Compare with Haula at the top, who had positive bars for everything.

Those are both consistent with the eye test - Smith had a lot of turnovers and poor decisions with the puck that you would expect a competent player to not make, while Haula was flying around the ice making plays at both ends of the rink. Also look at the two players that were benched in the 3rd, Meier and Marino, both had strong negative scores.

The data shown on the chart are consistent with what we as fans saw on the ice.
Awesome thank you!
Is Ruff getting this data on the fly (benching guys) or is it eye test for him?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Awesome thank you!
More than likely the eye test, but very frequently the eye test matches up pretty well with the data shown in that graph. For example, it was pretty easy to see with the eye test how poor of an impact Meier and Smith were having last night, and the data shown in the graph pretty much confirms what we were all thinking.

Reactions: Devs3cups

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Awesome thank you!
Lindy is using the eye test. He has the raw data available to him, but not the actual charts.

These charts are made by a guy named Dom who works for The Athletic. He created some bots that collect data from NHL.com and some other sources, run a statistical analysis, and then plot the data on these charts. This is done automatically at the end of every game. It's not a Devils specific thing, his bot makes a chart for every game regardless of who is playing.

The Devils employ their own stats department and we don't know exactly what they do or how they work with their data. There are many public stats models that you can find online - A3Z, xGF, WAR/GAR. and many others. But each team also has private models that they make in-house and don't disclose to the public. Many teams collect their own data which sometimes disagrees with the public data the NHL collects.

So - Lindy may get analytics feedback live during the game, maybe he doesn't. He probably doesn't, but we truly have no idea what specifically our analytics department is doing. It's possible there are data guys in the building doing real-time analysis and sending that down to the coaches. Even if that's happening, it's almost certainly not the data from Dom's model - it would be something our analytics team came up with from scratch.

But he certainly has the raw shot data available to him, Bill and Dano and all the fans can access that information live during the game from public sources.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Clearly Andrew (hiccup) Brunette was the reason for the team's success last year and not the coach who is amongst the winningest coaches in league history.
I don't like how Ruff has been coaching the Devils and didn't last season either. I don't really like some his deployment choices and general systems play. He has a very talented roster in front of him and will be "successful" regardless.

How he prepared for their two playoff series last season was inexcusable.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I don't like how Ruff has been coaching the Devils and didn't last season either. I don't really like some his deployment choices and general systems play. He has a very talented roster in front of him and will be "successful" regardless.

How he prepared for their two playoff series last season was inexcusable.
The roster had far more to do with last year's playoff fortunes than any coaching or preparation.

The Devils had the good fortune of playing perhaps the only playoff team that was less combative in the first round and was able to get past the Rangers.

Carolina was simply a mismatch - even without Svechnikov.

Reactions: Sdevils42

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The roster had far more to do with last year's playoff fortunes than any coaching or preparation.

The Devils had the good fortune of playing perhaps the only playoff team that was less combative in the first round and was able to get past the Rangers.

Carolina was simply a mismatch - even without Svechnikov.
Completely disagree. Ruff gifted the Rangers games 1 and 2 with absolutely ridiculous lineup choices and a complete lack of scouting (incredibly obvious Kreider PP goals, of note).

Carolina again, poor scouting and preparation. They had a depleted offense and play a very obvious style - chase the puck and shoot from wherever. No adjustment was made.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
If anyone was sitting in Section 105 we had the privilege of hearing "Frank The Tank" whine all f***ing game. There was also a few older couples there in their 50's/60's who would just complain every time the Devils made a mistake (which they made plenty of). I know every fanbase has some bad ones but they made this game extra annoying when we weren't playing good.

Atleast they made it a close game in the 3rd but man I'm getting tired of certain players. Brendan Smith gifted them the 2nd goal. Meier was invisible minus his 2 penalties...I feel like he just doesn't really fit in with this team and he is overrated. The Meier contract and Ruff getting an extension are two things that just give me anxiety with this team.

We can't be a young team but come out so badly out the gate in the 1st period. Florida was missing Ekblad, Montour, & Bennet. This gamd on paper should of been a win. It looked at times this game that our forwards were not hustling in on the forcheck and playing aggressive enough. We didn't really give up many oddman rushes this game either so that is probably due to us maybe easing up on the forecheck but we the team's speed needs to be utilized. We are better than this but there are some issues that need to be addressed. It can't be the 8th game of the season and we are using an excuse like "the team is still adjusting" or "they are working some kinks out". The good thing is they are atleast off a few days and don't have to travel very far for Friday (NYI). Just stick with some consistent lines/pairings and be better on both ends of the ice.

Side note , these snapback hats in the new team store by the high-school hockey jersey wall are awesome...had to pick one up lol

I share your concern w/ Meier and did immediately after the trade. Career minus player, racking up goals for a bad team is very different than contributing positively to an up and coming team with expectations. Now, it's very early on in the season and very early in his Devils career but there is some definite cause for concern. And it's great he can contribute in other ways being physical etc but he was brought here to score goals and they need him to do just that. Maybe pairing him w/ Hughes is the answer.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To be fair, I complained about the defensive system even when they were winning last year. :laugh:

But I’m constructive and targeted about my complaints so I think I’m justified.
the Swarm is so difficult because it relies on working quickly. It's like a blitz in football. If you don't get to the QB right away some receiver is more open than he should be. If the second player in the swarm gets bogged down which player disengages first and how long does he give it to work? It requires too much situational awareness in my view. I recall the worst swarm moment for me was against the Calgary power play a couple of seasons ago where all but maybe one of the Devil penalty killers were against the boards and the lone Calgary player managed to shove the puck out of the scrum to a wide open Flames player who had no pressure to just leisurely stroll to the goal to score. The Devils looked like six year olds playing soccer. Something which relies more on mobility and less on timing and decisions would make more sense to me. But to be fair, the players like Lindy and like playing for him so you hope he can work it out.

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
Lindy is using the eye test. He has the raw data available to him, but not the actual charts.

These charts are made by a guy named Dom who works for The Athletic. He created some bots that collect data from NHL.com and some other sources, run a statistical analysis, and then plot the data on these charts. This is done automatically at the end of every game. It's not a Devils specific thing, his bot makes a chart for every game regardless of who is playing.

The Devils employ their own stats department and we don't know exactly what they do or how they work with their data. There are many public stats models that you can find online - A3Z, xGF, WAR/GAR. and many others. But each team also has private models that they make in-house and don't disclose to the public. Many teams collect their own data which sometimes disagrees with the public data the NHL collects.

So - Lindy may get analytics feedback live during the game, maybe he doesn't. He probably doesn't, but we truly have no idea what specifically our analytics department is doing. It's possible there are data guys in the building doing real-time analysis and sending that down to the coaches. Even if that's happening, it's almost certainly not the data from Dom's model - it would be something our analytics team came up with from scratch.

But he certainly has the raw shot data available to him, Bill and Dano and all the fans can access that information live during the game from public sources.
Thank you
Do you know which teams are relying heavily on this type of data?
I figure the younger GMs and coaches over the old guard?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think clearly we lacked patience and discipline. Dano praised Florida's attention to detail and he was right - they looked like they were playing playoff hockey.

I thought our play was reminiscent of what we saw during our losing streak last year: we had just had a terrific win streak and seemingly got full of ourselves and thought we could survive with wide open pond hockey.

I'm not concerned; I thought our comeback was a real talent flex.

The only thing that concerns me is the target on Jack and Nico isn't going away and we have no answer.

That's three consecutive games of Jack getting abused.

I wish we just had someone who could pound Tkachuk into the boards and stuff a glove in his mouth.

This is going to be a recurring theme as a way to counter Jack until we do something about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad