Wingles-Sheppard-Burns
Torres-Desjardins-Kennedy
Brown/Burish

Vlasic-Demers
Braun-Irwin
Hannan-Boyle
Stuart/Tennyson

Stalock

I think Sheppards been playing really well. Him and Burns paired together would make for a dirty third line. Throw in Nieto or Wingles and its one of the best in the league. Also leaves Pavelski with Thornton which is tough for me to break up. Havlat has been playing well, keeping my fingers crossed he can stay healthy. Looks good with Marleau and Couture.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Ideal?

Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Patty-Couture-Wingo
Torres-Pavs-Nieto
Havlat/Shepperd-Desi-Kennedy
Brown/Burish

Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle
Hannan-Demers
Stuart/Tennyson

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
With or without current injuries? I.e. Hertl.

Marleau-Thornton-Burns
Havlat-Couture-Wingels
Torres-Pavelski-Nieto
Sheppard-Desi-Kennedy

Vlasic-Demers
Braun-Irwin
Boyle-Hannan

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Ideal?

Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Patty-Couture-Wingo
Torres-Pavs-Nieto
Brown/Burish

Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle
Hannan-Demers
Stuart/Tennyson

I agree with this one for the most part. Depending on who's hot swap Nieto / Sheppard.

I like forward pairing and think Burns/Jumbo, Couture/Marleau and Torres/PAvelski work best. Fill in who fits in best for the 3rd spot. Good problem to have this season... We basically can ice 5 lines (once Hertl's healthy). We've never had that going into the playoffs.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
If Havlat plays to half his potential:

Hertl - Thornton - Burns
Marelau - Couture - Havlat
Torres - Pavelski - Sheppard
Wingels - Desjardins - Kennedy

Top line has F1/F2/F3 covered with Hertl being the garbage goal scorer that Thornton/Burns need. That line should never have the puck in their own end. Second line will probably spend a lot of time against top competition, and won't be on the attack as much, but has the tools to score on the rush. Couture/Marleau will probably rack up their points on the PP. Third line is an upgraded version of Wellwood/Pavs/Taco. They crumbled a few years back against size and physical play. Torres and Shep shouldn't have that issue. Wingels and Desi provide the blue collar, lunch pale type play. Kennedy gives the line some skill and is good on puck retrieval.

The D pairings are less universal. Top heavy teams should get a shutdown pair of Braun/Vlasic, while Boyle/Irwin can be sheltered. For more balanced teams, Braun and Vlasic should be split up.

Stalock should get the starts against the heavy forecheck teams for his puck moving abilities. I like him against the ducks, as they love cross-ice/back door type plays which Stalock has the tools to handle. Niemi should get the start otherwise.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Ideal?

Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Patty-Couture-Wingo
Torres-Pavs-Nieto
Brown/Burish

Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle
Hannan-Demers
Stuart/Tennyson

I like this. Substitute Stuart for Irwin however the pairs need to be adjusted to make that happen. I also think Burish Havlat and Shep can be moved in and out to keep all of them fresh and depending on opponent.

Could also run depending.

Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Patty-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavs-Wingo
Nieto-Desi-Kennedy/Burish

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Hertl - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Torres - Pavleski - Wingels
Sheppard - Desjardins - Kennedy

Best top-9 in the league if everyones healthy and playing the way they should. Every player is playing in a position to succeed. Best scoring 4th line in the league too.

D wise I'd do:

Vlasic - Demers
Stuart - Boyle
Irwin/Hannan - Braun

But I'd feel really bad for Braun :\ I just can't find a way I like our D.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Right now:
Nieto-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desi-Kennedy

Vlasic-Braun
Hannan-Demers
Irwin-Boyle

Defense when Stuart is back:
Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun
Hannan/Irwin-Boyle

Forwards if Hertl is back:
Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Nieto-Sheppard-Kennedy

This is all assuming Havlat can stay healthy and continue to play well on that line.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Right now:
Nieto-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desi-Kennedy

Vlasic-Braun
Hannan-Demers
Irwin-Boyle

Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun
Hannan/Irwin-Boyle

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Nieto-Sheppard-Kennedy

This is all assuming Havlat can stay healthy and continue to play well on that line.

Nailed it.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Right now:
Nieto-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desi-Kennedy

Vlasic-Braun
Hannan-Demers
Irwin-Boyle

Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun
Hannan/Irwin-Boyle

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Nieto-Sheppard-Kennedy

The bolded is EXACTLY what I'd go with when everyone is healthy. Maybe put Desjardins in over Kennedy depending on the opponent but yeah, I'd rather see Sheppard getting ice time. I can definitely see TMac rolling Sheppard - Desjardins - Burish against teams like LA though.

Our offense is SICK when healthy. I have no idea why DW thought acquiring Callahan would be worthwhile.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Right now:
Nieto-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desi-Kennedy

Vlasic-Braun
Hannan-Demers
Irwin-Boyle

Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun
Hannan/Irwin-Boyle

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Nieto-Sheppard-Kennedy

I am totally with this. Only item on the set up without Hertl; I would platoon Shep and Desi, depending on when they have one of their 'off games'. Would pressure each to perform. And please, no Burish. He is just simply dreadful.

If Havlat were to get injured again, which is highly likely, then spot Nieto in his place and thus Shep and Desi and Kennedy making up the fourth.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Hertl - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Torres - Pavleski - Wingels
Sheppard - Desjardins - Kennedy

Best top-9 in the league if everyones healthy and playing the way they should. Every player is playing in a position to succeed. Best scoring 4th line in the league too.

D wise I'd do:

Vlasic - Demers
Stuart - Boyle
Irwin/Hannan - Braun

But I'd feel really bad for Braun :\ I just can't find a way I like our D.

I have to agree as, I think this was something D.W. really needed to look into yesterday. We have a very solid top 3 core followed then by Boyle and then, the rest.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I have to agree as, I think this was something D.W. really needed to look into yesterday. We have a very solid top 3 core followed then by Boyle and then, the rest.

If we had vintage boyle and stuart from a few years ago we would be ok. Both have dropped dramatically we are fortunate of the emergence of braun demers this year otherwise this **** stain for defense would look even worse

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
If we had vintage boyle and stuart from a few years ago we would be ok. Both have dropped dramatically we are fortunate of the emergence of braun demers this year otherwise this **** stain for defense would look even worse

SJ is 4th in Western Conf and 6th in NHL in fewest GA.

Pretty ****y

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
SJ is 4th in Western Conf and 6th in NHL in fewest GA.

Pretty ****y

I know where we sit dan. Numbers get inflated a bit. We are very fortunate to have some of the best two way forqards in the game. Couture marleau pavs are a lot of the reason that helps that gaa. As well as having the one of the best possession players in the game with joe thornton. We are on the otherside of the ice alot. We are also near the tops in blocked shots and fewest shots against which are attributes of d and forward group is well. Obviously im exaggerating **** stain was a little harsh. But i would say our d is far from elite and not necessarily as good as the numbers show. Team game outside of Vlasic Braun and demers occasional brain fart your not going to convince me that those numbers are because of Boyle Irwin Stuart Hannan

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Nieto-jumbo-burns
Marleau-couture-Kennedy
Torres-pavs-wingels
Havlat-desi-shep

Vlasic-Demers
Hannan-Braun
Irwin-Boyle

Stalock

I'm torn on the d pairings. Should Braun be with Irwin to cover the defense or Hannan to make a better second pairing?

As for the forwards, I put Kennedy with couture simply because I believe he gives patty and Logan the best chance to play at their highest. His speed and general annoyance to defenders will boost those two more than havlat.

Putting Marty on a fourth line with a resurgent Sheppard could work in a 7 game series where you need to roll four lines.

Obvious line juggles: shep for nieto or Torres for nieto

Havlat for Kennedy
Shep to 3c pavs to jumbo nieto to third Torres to fourth.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I really want to see what the third line looks like with Hertl. I really doubt Hertl comes back and goes straight back to the top line so he likely end up somewhere on the third line.

Assuming he isn't ready to centre and that unless you find lightning in a bottle you are going to move him back up to Jumbo's wing...

Can Torres play the off wing?

Hertl - Sheppard - Torres/Havlat

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Not sure how the sides would work, but I really like Shep as third line center. Can't mess with the Thorton line because they are rolling right now, but would like to see Hertl with some playmakers that can give him chances to score. Not sure how the 4th line would work out.
Pavs-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Hertl
Torres-Sheppard-Wingels
Kennedy-Desi- Nieto

Last edited:

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
^ you absolutely CANNOT put Hertl on the Couture/Marleau line for the playoffs. That line always takes the toughest opposing matchups and starts in the defensive zone. As excellent as Hertl has been, TMac sheltered him when he was healthy espceially with most offensive zone starts. I have no doubt he will develop his defensive game, but he is not ready for that in the playoffs this year. Especially coming off his injury :shakehead

You might say the same about Nieto... but he's holding his own right now. We'll see how that goes.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Havlat-Desjardins-Sheppard

Looks nice.

Might swap Wingels and Nieto though for the playoffs... Wingels has shown he can handle his own and helps create offensive space and chaos for Marleau/Couture. Same as Torres would on the third line... You know I do like that better actually. I also like Shep a little better at center than Desi... but who knows if Desi can play wing...

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Torres-Pavelski-Nieto
Havlat-Sheppard-Kennedy/Desi/Burish/Brown...

???

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I've really liked how Nieto has looked the last few games playing with Patty and Couture. That is some crazy depth if Hertl comes back!

Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Patty-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavs-Wingo
Brown/Burish

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I've really liked how Nieto has looked the last few games playing with Patty and Couture. That is some crazy depth if Hertl comes back!

Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Patty-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavs-Wingo
Brown/Burish

I know it was Toronto and they were awful but some of the moves Nieto pulled off last night were unreal, specifically that curl / toe drag around Gardiner followed by a brilliant back hand saucer pass to Couture.

Lots of people think his skating and shot are his best assets but I think his vision, hands and playmaking abilities are way up there too - he showed all of them last night.

It's also not too surprising to see him starting to gain confidence and his overall game improving. On top of getting comfortable on the team and with the pace and physicality of the NHL, every level he's played he ups his game in the 2nd half of the season.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Hertl-Jumbo-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Shep-Desi-Boyle

Vlasic-Braun
Hannan-Demers
Stuart-Tennyson

Niemi
Stalock

Boom, stanley cup