Your Hockey Card Collection

lucscaps

Jun 20, 2005
guelph, ont
here is the great one's rc card:
GretzkyRC.jpg

I have a pretty big collection that I'd value at approx 10k. It's stuff that I've put together mostly of Brodeur and other devils that I'll hand down to my kids later on.

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
All I have to add to this is a story from Grade 5 of this really nice, quiet kid that brought his complete set of i think 77-78 Opeechee, to school in a box, with plastic on the bigger names, and everything. As far as i know, he was way ahead of his time, as far as taking care of stuff... this was about 1986, I guess, and none of the rest of us were aware of the thought of maintaining these things in good condition, at that point. We just threw ours against walls, and all that stuff. This guy loved his collection, and was really proud of it. He ended up showing all of us, and the teacher took them away, and sold them to anyone for a penny each. He was cring, and trying to buy them back from girls for more money, and they were telling him no, and throwing them in the garbage, or just forgetting about them after 5 minutes. I didn't really realize it at the time, but reflecting on it - it was kind of tragic!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
All I have to add to this is a story from Grade 5 of this really nice, quiet kid that brought his complete set of i think 77-78 Opeechee, to school in a box, with plastic on the bigger names, and everything. As far as i know, he was way ahead of his time, as far as taking care of stuff... this was about 1986, I guess, and none of the rest of us were aware of the thought of maintaining these things in good condition, at that point. We just threw ours against walls, and all that stuff. This guy loved his collection, and was really proud of it. He ended up showing all of us, and the teacher took them away, and sold them to anyone for a penny each. He was cring, and trying to buy them back from girls for more money, and they were telling him no, and throwing them in the garbage, or just forgetting about them after 5 minutes. I didn't really realize it at the time, but reflecting on it - it was kind of tragic!

that is tragic. the teacher sounds like a sociopath.

when i was in grade school, they had to ban hockey cards because the throwing games got out of hand. it was in that '88-'93 period when hockey cards also became really lucrative, so kids negotiating trades during classtime also became disruptive. and kids were losing entire collections worth hundreds of dollars out of their desks due to thieves.

so teachers had to start confiscating any and all cards unless they were confined to lockers. no cards could see the light of day during school hours. but our teachers were at least nice about it. confiscated cards were re-circulated at random as prizes for As on tests, or for community service or other good deeds. i remember getting a joe nieuwendyk pro set card for acing a spelling test, and that card was worth a good deal of money once upon a time because they misspelled his name but only on the very first run of those cards. i'm sure beckett or whatever authority people use these days has it priced at one cent today, like every other card from that era.

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
Not so much the era but Pro Set in general. Those things are very literally not worth the paper they're printed on. 500 card sets that have a book value of $10 or $15.00 but in reality they are essentially worthless.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Am working on a list of hockey cards to try to fill some missing cards and I have several card sets done.. however I wonder about a few others so would love to do some trading cards somehow? I probably would use the sports card store here to try to fill but would love to do some trading straight up somehow...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Ditto. Though I never cared much about them at all. Used to play "Targets" with hockey cards during recess against the old public school wall. Line em up (most hated players of course) in a row on an angle, then standing back a good 10' flick the rest of the deck at them one by one. Sort of like "Pennies". Closest to the wall wins or in this case, knocking them down one by one. Only bought them for that, and that disgusting card sized piece of chewing gum in the pack with the sugar flour coating. Tasty. I instead collected those Sheriff Disc's during the 06 era. Elmer "Moose" Vasko with the Jumbo sized nose & ears my favorite. :D

We used to have "scrabbles" on a dirt hill in elementary school where one guy at the top would flip a card in the air and it would go anywhere and up to 20 guys would scramble in the mud for the card in whatever condition it ended in.

I know that i did this to about 3000 mid 60's to early 70's cards that I got from a cousin.:shakehead

Probably the year after that i got more serious about collecting but I handled my cards way too much for them to have much value.

Probably have around 4000 cards boxed away somewhere including 3 Wayne's rookie cards and the entire score Lindros set (2 sets of them) when I dropped over a grand on cards one year when i was laid off from work in the my early 20's.

I'm actually glad that the entire industry took a hit because it was becoming way too much of a business instead of a fun hobby.

A little bit like the NHL as well with it becoming very corporate at least in Vancouver.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Oh boy I have a fair collection myself, most of em are stuffed away in a old TMNT box actually ha. Ive kept pretty good care of them though, and they should all be in pretty mint condition... Saying that of course as it goes, most of em' are probably not worth the paper there printed on sad to say.

Im really not sure what my most valuable would be.. I have cards at the time were probably 30-50 bucks maybe? Who knows though now, maybe there like 2 bucks? lol *rubs chin some more* I dunno I have selannes rookie card I think... Again though in this day and age im sure thats not worth much either though...

Hamilton Tiger

Oct 17, 2020
I'm trying to collect a card of every member of the HHoF during their active playing or managing career. Many of the old old-timers never had cards made during their career as the first set came out in 1910, but I have several dating back that far. Just picked up this one last week. Back in 1889, the Allen and Ginter cigarette company started a new series of cards in their cigarette packages. The theme was World's Sovereigns. For Canada, rather than the Prime Minister, they chose the Governor General, who happened to be Lord Stanley at the time. It's the only time (so far as I know) that Lord Stanley's likeness appeared on a cigarette/gum/candy card during the time he was Governor General.

LordStanley.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce