Your Hockey Card Collection

John MacLean

Feb 9, 2011
I was reading another thread about hockey cards and thought it would be interesting to see what some of your most valuable or sentimental cards are. I know the world of trading cards took a dump, but there are some gems out there still.
Here are mine....
hockeycards012.jpg

hockeycards013.jpg

hockeycards015.jpg

hockeycards014.jpg

hockeycards016.jpg

hockeycards017.jpg

hockeycards018.jpg

hockeycards019.jpg

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
I wish I could post some pictures of my cards, but they're all at my parents house. I stopped collecting for a while, but am trying to get back into it. I bought a pack of 2010/2011 SP Game Used today ($30), and a box of Series One 2011/2012 Upper Deck Hockey Cards ($69.95). I basically spent $113 on the cards, and here is what I got: Dustin Byfuglien Game Worn Jersey from SP, and a Keith Aulie rookie card numbered to /699 from SP. That's a pretty disappointing haul from a $30 pack (I also got a Zach Parise base card), but that happens sometimes. My box of Series One turned out better. I got rookie cards of Devante Smith-Pelley, Brett Bulmer, Erik Gudbranson, Teemu Hartikainen, and Sean Couturier. I got two jersey cards, Kopitar and Briere, and I got an acetate, Clear Cut Honoured Members card of Guy Lafleur, which is numbered out of /100. I also got a lot of base cards of Leafs players which is always good (Kadri, Reimer, Schenn, MacArthur, and Phaneuf). My favourite card at home is probably Ovechkin's rookie card, a Patrick Roy game worn jersey card, or a Brian Leetch game worn jersey card.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
My best one is a Mario Lemieux Classic Draft set Laval flashback card. 1 of 10,000. No idea on value? $40?

My cards are 1990 - 1995 so there are some that could be like $5 but almost all of them are fairly worthless money wise.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Not much interested in anything post 1980. Basically I collect cards I like & don't give a damn about resale value. My older brother and I had many going all the way back to 50-51. Alas our mom trashed them when we left home. Have re-collected quite a few in recent years. Can get them fairly reasonable if you are content with the average players and don't worry about the quality. though I do have a few Bobby Hull's, a Bobby Orr, and a Mikita. My favorite set is Topps 54-55. Incredible quality action photos. Wish I could afford more of them

PaulSedin

#lydia2012
Jun 29, 2011
i got a Gretzky rookie and a Lafleur rookie that says his position is defence and a couple Dionne rookies

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
i got a Gretzky rookie and a Lafleur rookie that says his position is defence and a couple Dionne rookies

Lafleurs rookie card is from O-pee-chee if recall correctly and he is listed as a center on it.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Not much interested in anything post 1980. Basically I collect cards I like & don't give a damn about resale value. My older brother and I had many going all the way back to 50-51. Alas our mom trashed them when we left home. Have re-collected quite a few in recent years. Can get them fairly reasonable if you are content with the average players and don't worry about the quality. though I do have a few Bobby Hull's, a Bobby Orr, and a Mikita. My favorite set is Topps 54-55. Incredible quality action photos. Wish I could afford more of them

I only have one card. My father took me to the 1953 Grey Cup Game in Toronto. He knew a Canadien's scout. The Habs were playing the Leafs on Saturday night, after the Grey Cup game. On Friday night, we went to the Royal York Hotel where the Habs were staying. The scout introduced me to Paul Meger, who played for the Habs. He gave me a black and white post card sized picture of himself and autographed it. He then took me around the lobby and introduced me to his teammates who had won the Stanley Cup the previous April. I met, shook hands with and got the autographs, on the back of that card, of a few of the Canadiens, among them, future Hall of Fame Inductees, Maurice Richard, Butch Bouchard, Tom Johnson, Boom Boom Geoffrion and their coach, Dick Irvin.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I bought a Patrick Roy RC with a signed puck from a friend for $60 about 10 years ago. By far my most valuable card.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I only have one card. My father took me to the 1953 Grey Cup Game in Toronto. He knew a Canadien's scout. The Habs were playing the Leafs on Saturday night, after the Grey Cup game. On Friday night, we went to the Royal York Hotel where the Habs were staying. The scout introduced me to Paul Meger, who played for the Habs. He gave me a black and white post card sized picture of himself and autographed it. He then took me around the lobby and introduced me to his teammates who had won the Stanley Cup the previous April. I met, shook hands with and got the autographs, on the back of that card, of a few of the Canadiens, among them, future Hall of Fame Inductees, Maurice Richard, Butch Bouchard, Tom Johnson, Boom Boom Geoffrion and their coach, Dick Irvin.
Sounds like Paul Meger was a class guy. Before my time. But I do remember his 50-51 card that I inherited from an older brother. Meger had a short career. was it due to injury?

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Several game used cards, although my favourite Sports card I have a is a piece of Lebron James high school gym court in a card.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Sounds like Paul Meger was a class guy. Before my time. But I do remember his 50-51 card that I inherited from an older brother. Meger had a short career. was it due to injury?

Ya, and a bit before my time as well but apparently he got hit in the temple by a Leo Labine skate blade in 54-55 that fractured his skull & caused extensive damage, ending his career prematurely. He'd been Rookie of the Year in the AHL, highly creative offensively. Originally from Saskatchewan, played Junior for Barrie in the OHA.

seanbarrett

Jan 12, 2012
Guelph Ontario
I'm proud of my game worm hawerchuk jersey Card, my selanne jets autographed card and a Boris mironiv autographed card (again on the jets) to match the autographed 8x10 of him my girlfriends dad got me. Also I know it's not a card but I'm quite fond of my Winnipeg Jets Dollars from 1983!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Dryden rookie, Bure rookie, Hasek rookie, Selanne rookie, Jagr rookie, a few old Borje Salming cards, and about 20 different other Pavel Bure cards.

danney99

Jan 4, 2012
Most of my cards are pretty worthless but there are a few gems.

2000-2001 Upper Deck MVP ProSign Brendan Morrow
front.jpg

1994-1995 Donruss Dominators Gretzky/Roenick/Fedorov
643882.jpg

2000-2001 Upper Deck MVP Valuable Commodities Patrick Roy
0137651a-d3ef-4876-a4f6-f37232002e1d.jpg

1999-2000 Upper Deck MVP ProSign Tom Poti
front.jpg

Have to see if there's more.

Last edited:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I unfortunately collected mostly in the early 90s and most are worthless now. My favorites though are:

93-94 Pinnacle Nifty Fifty Mario Lemieux: Was my first card of Mario Lemieux. My brother got it out of a pack and I traded him a ton for it (he remembers it differently - he says he told me before he opened the pack that he would give me a nifty fifty if he pulled one, and he did). Got me started on a Lemieux collection, and then became a huge Pens fan, and now here I am :P

Mario Lemieux OPC Rookie: Got it for my 16thish birthday from my mom. She paid the full Beckett price at the time of $400 and I couldn't believe she spent so much on a card, but it's been one of my favorite cards since then.

Most of my other favorites are random Lemieux cards (autoed Hart to Hart insert, a #'d 10/10 sping expo card, and some others). Some others I have that I like having include Brett Hull RC, Jagr RC, Selanne RC, Forsberg RC, auto'd Crosby Pinnacle Game Day Card and an auto'd Malkin Cup Champions Card.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
This was one of the first cards I got:

front.jpg

I was a Sens fan before the Leafs switched into the Eastern Conf. The card's now an absolute mess (not like it was valuable in the first place), but it's the oldest card I still have.

There's also this card:

source_1103_80813.jpg

We share last names, and the Leafs jersey I have was personalized to his specs. One of the teachers in my high school gave me that card as a graduation present. Again, not really worth a whole lot (probably <$100), but somewhat interesting anyway.

eddytheeagle20

Apr 18, 2012
New Brunswick
my most unique card is a mats sundin 5th anniveray card with him at the draft on one side and him during his 5th season on the other

rarest card probally my owen nolan rookie card

oldest card is probally my gilles meloche card when he played for chicago

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
116.jpg

given out at a game in the old pacific coliseum to commemorate the first 50 goal season in franchise history.

had rookie cards of all the stars from '88 to '94. so many hall of famers, all probably worth a nickel now and gathering dust in boxes in some closet in my mom's house.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not much interested in anything post 1980.

Ditto. Though I never cared much about them at all. Used to play "Targets" with hockey cards during recess against the old public school wall. Line em up (most hated players of course) in a row on an angle, then standing back a good 10' flick the rest of the deck at them one by one. Sort of like "Pennies". Closest to the wall wins or in this case, knocking them down one by one. Only bought them for that, and that disgusting card sized piece of chewing gum in the pack with the sugar flour coating. Tasty. I instead collected those Sheriff Disc's during the 06 era. Elmer "Moose" Vasko with the Jumbo sized nose & ears my favorite. :D

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
My favorite card might be my Mark Messier rookie (the one that says he's right handed). It was something I always wanted, so when he signed with the Rangers for that second run, I picked one up.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Wish I still had my Topps cards from the late 60's/early 70's. There was one year in the 70's where there was one card of a Penguins player that no one could get, I think it was Sheldon Kannegeiser. All of my friends and I had collected the entire set except for this one card. We kept going back to the store and buying more packs until we had every player multiple times over, but not one of us could ever get this card. Nice little scam they had going at Topps, eh??:rant:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I have a pretty big collection but stopped buying a few months ago just became a waste... I have an extensive collection and my main PC is of Thomas Vanek, probably a few grand in book value.. Have almost every Vanek rookie made, including the Cup auto rookie patch /199 graded 8.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad