Your high hopes for Leaf prospects that fell through?

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
You know what even more depressing? The amount of homegrown talent we have on our current team...

Kadri
Rielly
Komarov
Reimer

Yikes...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You know what even more depressing? The amount of homegrown talent we have on our current team...

Kadri
Rielly
Komarov
Reimer

Yikes...

Nonis moved an awful lot of it out (Kulemin, Gunnarsson), which is unfortunate. We've got plenty of guys ready to knock on the door though, with Nylander, Marner, Percy, Carrick and Leivo all looking like they'll be able to crack the lineup by 2016/17.

I think this new management group understands that homegrown players are the best way to maintain depth and keep your roster competitive year after year. With the importance they've placed on drafting and developing, I think you'll see a big shift there within the next few years.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Wasn't he Norwegian?

On top of Caputi and Mueller (previously mentioned them), I also thought Aulie would become a solid top 4 guy.

Man, same here, I thought Aulie might be another Jason Smith. And I absolutely loved it when he dropped Hartnell.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Already mentioned a few times, but the big ones for me were Caputi and Schenn.

I thought that Caputi was going to be a better, younger version of Ponikarovski (who was traded away to get him). Size and skill, he looked like a fan-favourite power-forward. I was convinced he could be a real building block in the rebuild process. Turns out that not only was he never a building block, but that rebuild was all a sham, too.

And I really, really, bought into the Luke Schenn hype. Number 1, minute eating, crease clearing, hard hitting, C wearing, fortune telling, cancer curing, franchise defenceman. I honestly thought he would be a Leaf for life. Man was I wrong on that one.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Chris Didomenico. Kind of a similar prospect to Brown in terms of being an undersized underdog who managed to have prolific junior career. Couldn't make the pro jump though.

First name that I thought of as well. Saw him play in junior quite a bit, it was obvious that he was on another level compared to his teammates.

He broke his leg really, really badly though before he turned pro. Not a career ending injury, but there was just no way for him to be the same player after that. Damn shame, he had skill and he had guts. I always love players like that.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Pogge
Stefanovich
Ross
Ruegsegger
Olden
Biggs
Blacker

I think B Bell takes the cake tho

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Lol, I wonder why many people totally forgot that Luke Schenn was drafted by Toronto 5th overall. Guy fell from franchise defenseman to bottom pairing defenseman. What a bust.

CalgaryLeaf*

1.Brandon Convery (center)..8th overall pick...He was supposed to be the next Yzerman...lol...Total bust.

1A. Luke Schenn: For obvious reasons...He was going to be our #1 shutdown d-man and future captain.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
On what planet is Reimer a "prospect that fell through"?

He was a 5th round draft choice and developed into an NHL goalie.

For the people putting him on your list, what did you expect from a 5th round pick? A superstar?

If anything, Reimer is a pick that worked out. Lower rounds, became an NHL player and has had several runs as a starter in the league.

CalgaryLeaf*

On what planet is Reimer a "prospect that fell through"?

He was a 5th round draft choice and developed into an NHL goalie.

For the people putting him on your list, what did you expect from a 5th round pick? A superstar?

If anything, Reimer is a pick that worked out. Lower rounds, became an NHL player and has had several runs as a starter in the league.

I agree...He's a quality backup goalie and good value for a 5th rounder.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Convery did come up at a time when every offensively inclined smallish center was supposed to be the next Yzerman or the next Sakic.

Convery, Daigle, Connolly, Weiss, Lundmark, etc.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
Luke schenn for me.

Always wondered why too...

Was he just an early puberty kid that became man-size in Junior faster than his peers so he could dominate only until they inevitably caught up physically?

Was he hurt by the new rules? (I always thought his downside was Luke Richardson but good ole Luke would struggle in today's speed game too.)

Or did we mishandle his development to such an extent that we ruined him (looking at you, "two hands on the stick" Ron Wilson)

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Luke schenn for me.

Always wondered why too...

Was he just an early puberty kid that became man-size in Junior faster than his peers so he could dominate only until they inevitably caught up physically?

Was he hurt by the new rules? (I always thought his downside was Luke Richardson but good ole Luke would struggle in today's speed game too.)

Or did we mishandle his development to such an extent that we ruined him (looking at you, "two hands on the stick" Ron Wilson)

Can't skate. He still hasn't worked out that deficiency to this day. Also, has no offensive capabilities whatsoever. Not sure if the latter can be improved with extra time in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad