Your high hopes for Leaf prospects that fell through?

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Wellwood for me...was real high on him watching him play in the OHL...he had a boatload of skill and his first season in TO was promising...went downhill from there. Guy never really took his fitness to heart it seems:(

NotSince67*

Justin Pogge - Simply flopped once he hit the pro ranks

Kyle Wellwood - Hard to say that about a guy who hit almost 500 NHL GP and was over .4 PPG but he really could have been so much better if his commitment was better.

Anton Stralman - He did get there evetually but it took him so long to find his game he eventually played himself out of the organization

Nazem Kadri - Really though he could become an elite player, a really coveted player. Doesn't seem he'll develop to be more than a nice top 6 piece.

Chris DiDominico - The broken femur may have been part of it, but he looked promising as hell before he hit the pro ranks.

Honorable Mention: Phil Oreskovich, Dale Mitchell (both with solid Jr careers and flopped in the Pros) Devane (probably would become a full-time NHLer if he had come along 15 years sooner) Jay Harrison (it took him forever to pan out as a regular NHL player)

NotSince67*

Also Viktor Stalberg did not become as good of a player as I thought he might.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I really thought Tlusty would become a top notch 2-way scoring winger. He's turned out okay, but nowhere near as good as I hoped, and of course we didn't make a great trade when we gave him up.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Also Viktor Stalberg did not become as good of a player as I thought he might.

Good one, forgot about him. Looked great coming out of Vermont was it? then had a monster pre-season and solid start to the year before getting set back by that concussion.

Man that 2006 draft. Only one real miss, and a lot of solid nhlers that have had "what could have been" careers that hinge on single unfortunate incidents.

Tlusty- the scandal and overall botched development. Still a very solid middle 6 forward
Kulemin- the Yaroslavl tragedy, still a very solid middle six forward
Reimer- the Gionta concussion and subsequent Bernier trade, decent 1b/ great backup
Stalberg- the concussion/ lack of hockey sense. Still carved out a career as a tweener

Komarov-gotta love leo

Holzer- meh, depth d-man

Ruegsegger- never signed, wasn't there more to the story? he seemed on track through college but not a great skater

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Nik Antropov - I remember hearing the Red Wings European scouts were high on him. I figured his skating would improve. Nope.

Kenny Jonsson - Thought he was more than a 30 point guy

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Nik Antropov - I remember hearing the Red Wings European scouts were high on him. I figured his skating would improve. Nope.

Guy had a good career though. Still stands up as a worthy choice at his spot the draft.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, Antropov had a solid career, and his knee(s) held his skating back throughout his career.

For me, it's definitely Sondre Olden. I had some real high hopes for him.

Biggs as well. I still think he has potential to carve out a niche for himself as an NHLer, if Pittsburgh develops him well, but he's got a real uphill battle ahead of him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I try to hold back my enthusiasm until the prospects start accomplishing a few things:

Pogge - loved his story: he started playing organized hockey late, backstopped a WJC win, I thought we were going to be set in goal

Didomenico - beat the odds gaining a spot in the QMJHL as a walk on then made the WJ team and participated well playing a brave competitive style, thought we had something there, then that horrid broken leg

Antropov - in his first season with the Leafs I swear he could skate considerably better before those consecutive knee injuries, I thought he had superstar written all over him in his rookie season

Petr Svoboda - made the Leafs the year after Kaberle did, played well at the beginning then got concussed by some Blues' goon and wasn't the same when he returned, then he developed some mysterious health problems that ended his hockey career before it ever got going

Jarkko Immonen - I was really excited about this guy and his big numbers in the Finnish league. I was super disappointed when he was traded.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Schenn. I thought he was gonna be our Foote, big let down but atleast we got a great return for him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Eric Fichaud.

He came out of the Chicoutimi system that produced Felix Potvin, whom at the time was a young superstar goalie. He was awesome in the QMJHL playoffs, went to the Memorial Cup and was called a Potvin clone. Seemed funny to have drafted another potential franchise goalie when Potvin himself was only 22-23, but the goaltending position looked stacked. Sadly, we traded Fichaud the next spring for a rental and even more unfortunately, he never developed into the goalie he was projected to be.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Curious- why was there ever Sondre Olden hype?

6'4 Center was enough for most of us. He was supposed to have some decent skill, and had an ok 1st year in the OHL on a pretty bad Otters team. A lot of us thought he just needed to get used to the North American ice and that he could blow up if he put things together.

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
6'4 Swedish Center was enough for most of us. He was supposed to have some decent skill, and had an ok 1st year in the OHL on a pretty bad Otters team. A lot of us thought he just needed to get used to the North American ice and that he could blow up if he put things together.

Wasn't he Norwegian?

On top of Caputi and Mueller (previously mentioned them), I also thought Aulie would become a solid top 4 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad