Your Five Key Players Going Forward

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This is the fourth time I have done this. Pick 5 players on the team or within the organization you would go forward with. Yes anyone can be expendable, but if you had to pick five to start, who would they be.

In Nov. 2010 I said

Kessel
Phaneuf
Kadri
Schenn
Gustavsson

In Oct. 2011 I said

Kessel
Kulemin
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Reimer

In March 2013 I said

Kessel*
Kadri
JVR
Gardiner
Rielly

Today I say

JVR
Bernier
Rielly
Kadri
Nylander

Gardiner gets the boot as he has not developed like we all thought. Kessel for the first time gets the boot, but I still don't want to. If we could get a proper centre for him and the team had an actual good playing system, I feel he could be part of a winner. But alas, doesn't seem like that will happen.

My additions of Bernier and Nylander are obvious.

This is also the first time I don't have two defencemen on my list, and I never thought the defensive pipeline was an issue, but I'm beginning to feel it is, with only Rielly and hopefully Percy as long term solutions.

Gotta wonder if the pieces you'd get for Phaneuf and Kessel plus the above 5, would this team be built very well.

Who are yours?

Blast from the past

Nov. 2010
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=838351&highlight=

Oct. 2011
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1014239&highlight=

March 2013
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1378385&highlight=

Edit: Links updated

Last edited:

member 147413

Kadri
Rielly
Bernier
Nylander
Ummm... Connor Brown?

I don't know hahaha

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rielly
The New CEO
Mark Hunter
The 2015 1st rd pick

No one else in this organization I would deem as key, unless you consider what they will fetch in trades.

That's the truth as I see it.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I would also go with:

JVR
Bernier
Rielly
Kadri
Nylander

Honorable mentions go to Korporal Komarov and Santorelli.

hockeyfanz*

Rielly
The New CEO
Mark Hunter
The 2015 1st rd pick

No one else in this organization I would deem as key, unless you consider what they will fetch in trades.

That's the truth as I see it.

LOL..what no Bozak?

Seriously., I dont think Nylander should count as he isnt on the team. Or does the the thread imply 5 players in the system?

On the team for me its....Reilly, Bernier, Komorov, Kadri, Santorelli.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think 5 is too small a number, which is a good thing.

Based on various factors such as skill level, age, intangibles, and overall potential, I consider the following list of players integral to the success of the club in the foreseeable future:

Forward:
Kessel
JVR
Kadri
Holland
Komarov
Nylander
Leivo

Defence:
Rielly
Franson
Percy
Gardiner (I still think he's going to mature)

Goal:
Bernier

I don't believe that any of the players noted are necessarily untouchable, but I consider all of them to be solid building blocks moving forward, and I would definitely think twice about moving any of them unless the return was significant.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
JVR
Nylander
Rielly
Bernier
Komarov (The captain if Phaneuf is ever traded)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is the fourth time I have done this. Pick 5 players on the team or within the organization you would go forward with. Yes anyone can be expendable, but if you had to pick five to start, who would they be.

In Nov. 2010 I said

Kessel
Phaneuf
Kadri
Schenn
Gustavsson

In Oct. 2011 I said

Kessel
Kulemin
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Reimer

In March 2013 I said

Kessel*
Kadri
JVR
Gardiner
Rielly

Today I say

JVR
Bernier
Rielly
Kadri
Nylander

Gardiner gets the boot as he has not developed like we all thought. Kessel for the first time gets the boot, but I still don't want to. If we could get a proper centre for him and the team had an actual good playing system, I feel he could be part of a winner. But alas, doesn't seem like that will happen.

This is also the first time I don't have two defencemen on my list, and I never thought the defensive pipeline was an issue, but I'm beginning to feel it is, with only Rielly and hopefully Percy as long term solutions.

Gotta wonder if the pieces you'd get for Phaneuf and Kessel plus the above 5, would this team be built very well.

Who are yours?

Blast from the past

Nov. 2010

Oct. 2011

March 2013

I like reading Holzer as being one :laugh:

Granberg is like him 2.0, but Holzer was never given a chance. All the tools, but terrible execution on the part of the organization on that one. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes with Granberg.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Jvr
Kessel (keep or trade, highly valuable either way)
Bernier
Rielly
Nylander
Kadri

I picked 6.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Kessel is so disgustingly unappreciated. No wonder no one wants to come to this flying circus.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Rielly - I think he has a lot more to show. He has the skating and hockey IQ, but he needs a better shot, more minutes to gain experience, and more confidence.

Kadri - Best possession numbers on the team and steadily improving. He does need to show up in big games however. (He only produced in boston series when he was moved up to the same line as Kessel). He can be the 60 point #2C if he gets surrounded by the right players.

JVR - Playoff beast. You need clutch playoff players. Detroit has some in Zetterberg and Franzen and perhaps Datsyuk while Chicago has kane and toews. He can also slot on the top run n gun line and is complementary to Kadri's possession style.

Reimer/Bernier: I believe Reimer is better when he is not being pressured for the #1 job. We will see this when Reimer gets inevitably traded where he will thrive. Reimer can produce the same output as a lot of strong goalies with a smaller salary cap. Bernier is a very strong technical goalie and has proven to steal more games than Reimer. I put them side by side because you really cannot go wrong with either goalie.

Kessel: He is so strong offensively. During the playoffs, he produced 6 points against a team that continually shuts him down. People argue he needs a #1 Center, but he really needs a strong defensive center to compensate for his defensive deficiencies. I like the idea of having both a run n gun line and a possession line. If not, then hopefully we can acquire substantial returns.

HM: Percy (steady and learning)

Prospects: Antoine Bibeau (will challenge for backup in 2 years)

Durkin67

In Nov. 2010 I said

Kessel
Phaneuf
Kadri
Schenn
Gustavsson

In Oct. 2011 I said

Kessel
Kulemin
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Reimer

In March 2013 I said

Kessel*
Kadri
JVR
Gardiner
Rielly

Today I say

JVR
Bernier
Rielly
Kadri
Nylander

Who are yours?

Blast from the past

Nov. 2010

Oct. 2011

March 2013

Bernier: finally what appears to be a stable presence in net
Franson: Huge strides this year, top line right shooting D, bona fide PP weapon
JvR: Most complete forward on the team, goes to the net, ridiculous hands
Komarov: Great inn the dressing room, pesky,perfect energy winger
Rielly: future top 2 D with explosive wheels, high IQ and the ability to weave through traffic to create scoring chances

Secondary choices:
Holland: tons of character, great work ethic and sound skills
Winnick: can move into top 6 duties as required, perfect utility piece with the ability to play either secondary offensive contributor or a shutdown role. You need guys like Winnick to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Mine would be:

1. Nylander
2. Rielly
3. JVR
4. Kadri
5. Bernier

The criteria for me being who would I want to hold on to the most / who I think may bring this team future success.

Edit: I swear I never looked at the OP before posting this :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad