Your favourite PS3 game (that wasn't AAA)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't buy games that aren't AAA these days.

Video games don't hold me like they used to so i only buy a few a year these days, and they are always the big ones.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Ni No Kuni, maybe? I dunno. It's hard to know where the "AAA" line is drawn.

The game I probably had most fun with over the entire course of the PS3's life was BFBC2, but that obviously wasn't independently made...

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not super familiar with these industry terms. Is AAA an actual designation that you can look up for a game or just a perception thing?

Only like a handful of games anyways and barely any are AAA.

1. Portal
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Limbo
4. Journey
5. Portal 2
6. Ico

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Not super familiar with these industry terms. Is AAA an actual designation that you can look up for a game or just a perception thing?

Only like a handful of games anyways and barely any are AAA.

1. Portal
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Limbo
4. Journey
5. Portal 2
6. Ico
AAA basically just means a game that was developed by a major developer and had a high budget... Something like Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, etc.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
AAA basically just means a game that was developed by a major developer and had a high budget... Something like Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, etc.
I know, but it's just a subjective made up term rather than an actual official designation (like if you sell this many records, your record is Platinum or whatever), right?

There's no way to accurately look up if a game is AAA?

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
It's hard to pick out many Indie PS3 games for me. Before the popularity of PS Plus there weren't many Indie games getting a ton of exposure.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I know, but it's just a made up term rather than an actual official designation (the same way that if you sell this many records, your record is Platinum or whatever), right?
Yeah, it's an informal term, there's not really a budget cut-off that I've heard of in terms of what dictates between a AAA game or just a game with a big budget.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, it's an informal term, there's not really a budget cut-off that I've heard of in terms of what dictates between a AAA game or just a game with a big budget.
I kind of have a sudden urge to protest the term because it implies that games made by major developers/big budgets are flat out better (unless it's an acronym that I'm not aware of). :laugh:

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
a game that wasn't produced by a major company and didn't have a big budget would almost eliminated most games that were released on disc and you would be left with primariy download only games.

Ones like that hat come to mind are Another World, the Deadliest Warriors game, and (even though it was made by Ubisoft) Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
a game that wasn't produced by a major company and didn't have a big budget would almost eliminated most games that were released on disc and you would be left with primariy download only games.

Ones like that hat come to mind are Another World, the Deadliest Warriors game, and (even though it was made by Ubisoft) Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
Yep, it's difficult to find games like this on the PS3, I think. PS4/XB1 are doing a good job of getting indie games out there on digital download. Look at what it did for games like Rocket League, Fortnite, Minecraft, etc.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Yep, it's difficult to find games like this on the PS3, I think. PS4/XB1 are doing a good job of getting indie games out there on digital download. Look at what it did for games like Rocket League, Fortnite, Minecraft, etc.

Mine craft was already huge before it reached the PlayStation, but yes I agree. When Rocket league was free with PS+ it was insane how quickly it became popular

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
X-Com & the expansion Enemy Within. I assume that fits the bill, even though it was on PC as well (and maybe Xbox?). And I think it worked really well on PS3 too, it was X-Com 2 that had loading issues late campaign on PS4, if I remember right.

Trying to think of other PS3 games I had but they were mostly AAA or Sports games... Like Fallout 3 or New Vegas is AAA, right?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
to be honest, I didn't like the puzzle parts all that much and they make up a decent chunk of the game, but the rest of it is just superb.

I can agree with that. There were times when the puzzling was a bit rage inducing, but the story and presentation were tops.

Reactions: samabam

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I don't buy games that aren't AAA these days.

Video games don't hold me like they used to so i only buy a few a year these days, and they are always the big ones.
Why don't you buy games that aren't AAA? In my experience, very few AAA games hold me like they used to so I mostly stick to indie titles.

To stay on topic, some of my favorites:

The Swapper
Limbo
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Journey
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars
Spec Ops: The Line
Quantum Conundrum