your favourite national team besides your home country + the one you don't like

Robert Pahlsson

Jun 12, 2007
Gothenburg
Finland. Loveable losers I guess :sarcasm: Seriously though, I almost rather see the Finns get the gold than Sweden. I think it would do great things for finnish hockey, and the finns are probably the country that would appriciate a gold the most. In Canada, Russia and Sweden, it's more of a "meh" reaction to a gold in WC. Don't know about the Czechs and Slovaks

Captain Sexton

Apr 9, 2010
North
Other then Canada I really like the Swiss and the Danes. Nice to see them have a good tournament. I also like the Finns.
I really hate the Americans though.

Mac Man

Jul 28, 2009
Toronto
As the only one in my family to be born in Canada and not in either the Netherlands or Germany I cheer for Canada.

Although if the Dutch had a team that could make it into a tournament i'd have to cheer for them. Germany is 2nd then Sweden and Finland.

I hate both the U.S and Russia.

GO AVS GO

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
There really is no like clear favourite after Finland. It depends how teams play in each tournament.

I loved USA playstyle in Olympics, it somehow reminded of me of some earlier energic and physichal Finnish teams, I guess.. Usually I like teams that play tough and physichal and fast energic playstyle.. I've just got used to like that style somehow, because Finland many times have been playing like that. Thats why North American teams are cool. But usually i dont root for Canada, because they are the best team and its booring to root for the best for me.

Now in WHC i have been rooting for Danes, sadly the Swedes (god damn you, Swedes! :rant:) dropped them out! Now I'll probably be rooting for CZE because they played a good game against us and Jagr is just superb. Sometimes I even root for our rival Sweden if they dont play against us, but not this year. Its sad that we didint see Finland - Sweden game in this year :shakehead, they really are like the best games on earth, specially if they are playoff games.

I dislike teams who play most non-physichal and slow game. (If Finlands for some reason plays it, what usually doesnt happen tought, I love it).

Got to love russian dangler and redmachine tic-tac-toe plays, and respect how their players are very patriotic, the stars game to WHC, and this is Olympic year.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I like Germany and the team I don't like is USA, just because of our rivalry (Canada-USA).

I also like the Czech Republic and Ukraine.

Analyzer*

Russia's. I heard it so much playing the first mw I got use to it.

Kimmo Timonen

Oct 20, 2007
Nova Scotia
Finland.
A few people tease me, saying that I favour them over Canada... not necessarily for no reason, either. I have 2 Finland jerseys and no Canada one. I've also attended two IIHF Finland games, but none involving Canada (though those are much harder to get tickets for in a tournament in Halifax, of course)

I really like Denmark and Norway, too.
In the lower tiers, I'm always hopeful for an Estonian emergence.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I dislike Canada and USA. Don't care much about Sweden and Finland and like Russia... but this mostly depends on circumstances.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Besides Finland I like Russia. Their style of play is so entertaining it's hard to not love them.

I also have a crush on the underdog. I want especially Belarus and Switzerland to succeed. Germany I'm not so fond of, dunno why's that.

Canada I dislike. Particularly here in the HF some Canadians can get a little arrogant, and if they lose a important game, it's most of the time not their fault if they lose and I'm tired to here the explanations on how the tournament wasn't the best-on-best tournament and thus it didn't have any relevance to them after all. Sweden I dislike for the obvious reasons :).

FreakyEuro*

There goes my ranking:

1. Czech Rep. the one and only beloved fatherland of mine
2. Slovakia, our brothers
3. Finland (I have always liked them)
4. Denmark (I live there and enjoy the way they grow)
5. Latvia (the classiest fans in the world)
6. The rest of the hockey world.

I have no long lasting dislikes.
I generally like all hockey playing nations and my temporary hatred is always asociated with some misdemeanor or display of disrespect. This year it was Canada unable to swallow a defeat from our hands ... again, and pulling the same antics against the Russians. Guys, it's becoming boring, you know better than that... Also many Swedish fans are rather cocky and swaggery, but I won't let that spoil the image of the whole country for me, especially when they play such a good hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
Canada because i've got relatives over there! I really don't dislike anyone. I always cheer for the underdog, in this tournament i have been very happy to watch Germany advance.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I like:
1. Sweden
2. The other Nordic Countries
3. Russia

Don't like:
Czechoslovakian style hockey.

Can't stand:
Canadians winning.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
I like Norway and Denmark. Two charming teams with nice supporters to match.

I don't like Finland but that mostly comes out when we are playing them, otherwise I don't really care. I don't cheer for or against Finland.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Like Czech teams with a heart (like this years WHC team, didn´t really care about their Olympics team), starting to like Sweden....

Dislike Germany and Switzerland and in 2010 :)sarcasm:) Finland .....

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
I like Czech republic and Slovakia.

I dislike Canada, USA and Sweden.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Aside from Finland, I always root for the underdogs. I think those smaller hockey nations winning does good for the game of hockey.

Out of the bigger hockey nations, I probably like USA the most. Similar playing style to the Finns, and nowadays they've got lots of exciting skill players who are treat to watch.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I don't dislike any team.

As I am from Sweden I cheer for them first. Then I go for Russia, I guess I am an old nostalgic Cold war guy who have seen too much of Tichonov's creations to not like Russia.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Finland, they have a lot of my favorite players, and I have some friends over there.

Then Sweden, but don't tell my Finnish friends ;)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
The ones I like: USA and Denmark.
The ones I dislike: Sweden and Russia.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Canada since my childhood.

Dislike: USA the few times they were noteworthy, otherwise Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad