How To Murder Your Wife
City Lights
Pretty Woman
My Man Godfrey
The Man Who Came To Dinner

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Every John Cusack film ever.

And crazy stupid love, a legitimately good movie on non romcom standards.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I echo About Time and Crazy Stupid Love

I'm not sure if the next two count as romantic comedies or not but my guilty pleasures are definitely: Definitely, Maybe and Serendipity.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I watched When Harry Met Sally the other day and really enjoyed it. It is always weird when you see a movie like that after you've seen all the other movies and tv shows that have borrowed from it liberally.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I watched When Harry Met Sally the other day and really enjoyed it. It is always weird when you see a movie like that after you've seen all the other movies and tv shows that have borrowed from it liberally.

I was a little disappointed when I found out that the marriage vignettes were all written and the married couples were all actors.

Have to give credit to Nora Ephron.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Talking about " borrowing ", the most shameless thing I've ever seen in a movie was in this romantic comedy called Broken English, directed by Zoe Cassavetes. The ending scene is a direct lift (the last two lines are the exact same!) from Linklater's Before Sunset. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that. It's really a shame a genuinely talented man like John Cassavates gave birth to such talentless hacks like Zoe and Nick (John Q, The Notebook, although She's So Lovely was okay. But it's based on his father's screenplay).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just Friends and Along Came Polly have been quoted by my friends and I for like a decade now

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
don't like chick flicks eh;)
We're on a hockey board after all eh. ;)

Seriously though, there sure are a few gems in the romantic comedy genre. Nice mind candy on a lazy sunday with the girlfriend. But there's also a lot of garbage. Same stories, different faces. A lot of them are predictable, shallow, tedious. I didn't mean to derail this thread though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad