Your favorite Romantic Comedy movies?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Two For The Road has too shitty of a second half to be considered with the best classic romantic films imo. It just becomes repetitive by then. I will admit that Audrey Hepburn making plucking chicken noises though is one of the best things I've seen.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
City Lights and Annie Hall are all-time faves. Silver Linings Playbook for modern era.

Woody Allen cranks out good rom-coms in his sleep. I'll take even middling stuff like Cafe Society or A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy over most big-name Hollywood pics. Of course, if you detest Woody Allen then nevermind.

Speaking of sex comedies...if they're in the same conversation then there's Some Like It Hot.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
City Lights and Annie Hall are all-time faves. Silver Linings Playbook for modern era.

Woody Allen cranks out good rom-coms in his sleep. I'll take even middling stuff like Cafe Society or A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy over most big-name Hollywood pics. Of course, if you detest Woody Allen then nevermind.

Speaking of sex comedies...if they're in the same conversation then there's Some Like It Hot.

Personally, I've always felt Woody Allen's strength was when he went with completely absurd, balls-to-the-wall premises which poked fun at his characters and the world around them (Bananas, Love and Death, Zelig, Deconstructing Harry, etc.) as compared to his romantic comedies. They're good, sometimes even great (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) but I don't think they reach the heights of the more surreal movies. Even something like Midnight in Paris blows out a movie like Cafe Society or Blue Jasmine, IMO.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Only because that's primarily focused on being about something else.

Isn't Lost In Translation almost entirely about that relationship/connection?

It is, but I'd easily qualify that as a drama way more than a comedy, without question.

I mean, if we're calling any romance movie that elicits a laugh a rom-com, then what are we even doing here.

Don't see why it wouldn't. And it's another great flick.

I love Moonrise Kingdom. I'll be honest -- I looked for every which way to disqualify it from being a rom-com, since it just doesn't feel like one, and the closest I could find is, an infatuation amongst kids isn't what I'd define as "romance," but, I think I've resigned myself to MK just being Wes Anderson's version of a rom-com. Sigh. :laugh:

ANYWAY, to OP, a somewhat modern rom-com you didn't list that you might like is Down With Love, a 2003 flick with Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger as the leads, and David Hyde Pearce and Sarah Paulson as their respective buddies. It's just a send-up of the classic, more zany style of 50s-60s rom-coms, but it executes it really well. The Baxter, a 2005 Michael Showalter film, is also a pretty good one with a really great ending.

Modern rom-coms are definite guilty pleasure of mine. The pop music of movies. There are a lot more modern rom-coms that I enjoy watching that I am quite aware are objectively terrible movies (Heartbreakers, How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days, What Happens in Vegas, The Holiday (only the Kate Winslet/Jack Black parts) That Awkward Moment (exclusively for Imogen Poots really, it's terrible)), so I can't really recommend them to anyone in good faith (speaking of that, Keeping The Faith is actually a pretty good one), but I enjoy watching them nonetheless. The earnestness in which the awfulness is executed is a charm of the genre that I just can't resist. I'm basically the Batman character from Lego Batman.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
The Wedding Singer
Friends With Benefits

Probably not pure Rom-Coms, but elements of:

Safety Not Guaranteed
Your Sister's Sister
50/50
Adventureland
Zombieland

Pretty Woman the classic from the early 90s. I didn't think The Runaway Bride was that bad either all things considered.

Along Came Polly always makes me laugh as well. Philip Seymour Hoffman was hilarious.

I've been wanting to see Enough Said, Obvious Child, and The Big Sick, which all have pretty solid reviews.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Down With Love, a 2003 flick with Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger as the leads, and David Hyde Pearce and Sarah Paulson as their respective buddies.

I've never seen a film with Niles in it in a major role, added to the watchlist.

edit: This is awful, so friggin cheesy it's terrible. It's borderline a kids movie.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It is, but I'd easily qualify that as a drama way more than a comedy, without question.

I mean, if we're calling any romance movie that elicits a laugh a rom-com, then what are we even doing here.
I might be mis-remembering it, but I've always thought of Lost In Translation as being closer in tone to a black comedy than a drama. Like... not just a few laughs here and there, more like the entire premise is supposed to somewhat comical in an understated/bleak kind of way. Again, I might have that wrong as I haven't seen it in forever.

Edit: I guess the more relevant question would be, does the humor come from the romance itself or does it come out of completely unrelated themes? That might disqualify it, but it would probably disqualify other movies considered romantic comedies as well.

Last edited:

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I like this answer, but is it a comedy? There are funny moments, but it’s mostly a drama, and not even a dramedy.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
In terms of guilty pleasures/bad movies, I like How to lose a guy in 10 days, or some of the older Mandy Moore movies like Chasing Liberty. But yeah, these suck :laugh:

Some underrated ones:

A Swedish Love Story (1970, Sweden)
Copenhagen (2014)
In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2007)
Celeste and Jesse Forever (2012)
The Girl on the Bridge (1999, France)
Angel-A (2005, France)
Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
Secret (2007, Taiwan)
Blowfish (2011, Taiwan)
The Girl in the Café (2005)
My Blueberry Nights (2007)

Reactions: Ar-too

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Couple ones I forgot:

Comet (2014)
Before We Go (2014)
Blue Jay (2016)
You Instead (2011)
Quiet City (2007)
Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong (2015)
Two Night Stand (2014)
The First Time (2012)
Liberal Arts (2012)
Meet Me in Montenegro (2014)

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I can't say I watch a lot of traditional romantic comedies. I didn't mind "Failure To Launch" and the two "Sex And The City" flicks.

My Best-Carey

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Groundhog Day is not a romantic comedy. It's a comedy that has a romantic element in it, among many others.

In any romantic comedy, the key element, the thing we care more about than anything else, is whether or not the two leads end up together or not. This is not the case when watching Groundhog Day. It is Phil's journey 100%. Rita plays an important element in it, but it's definitely not the focal point.

Agreed. Most comedies have some sort of half-baked love interest subplot, but that doesn't make them rom-coms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->