Your Favorite Defunct Team...

Which one is your favorite?

• Total voters

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Nordiques they were really coming together as they proved once landed in Colorado. The rivalry with the Canadians was great to. Hopefully they get another team one day and the rivalry starts again.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Gonna go for an obscure one, but reading about the history of the Montreal Maroons was something.

Unlike all the others on the list, they actually had success with cup wins. They had a short, but storied history and were the first original team to play in the Forum.

Also, the rivalry with the Habs was something else too, since English montrealers gravitated to the Maroons.

Finally. Their jerseys were simple and sleek.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I voted the Nordiques because it's crazy to me such a hockey bonkers province can't support another team, especially one with the province's namesake.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
North Stars had some terrific teams, with lots of personality and talent. Didn't win a Cup, but got to the finals twice.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Whalers. One of the best logos ever created and I love their colors.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Gonna go for an obscure one, but reading about the history of the Montreal Maroons was something.

Unlike all the others on the list, they actually had success with cup wins. They had a short, but storied history and were the first original team to play in the Forum.

Also, the rivalry with the Habs was something else too, since English montrealers gravitated to the Maroons.

Finally. Their jerseys were simple and sleek.

My late grandfather was a fan of the Maroons. As you suggested, there was a real divide - English speaking Montrealers supported the Maroons, while French speakers supported the Canadiens.

In addition to two Stanley Cups, they had some notable players - such as Nels Stewart, a forgotten great. He was the NHL's all-time goal-scoring leader for nearly 20 years (eventually surpassed by Maurice Richard). He also won two Hart trophies.

My grandfather said that when the Maroons folded, he lost interest in hockey.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
3b27SPs.png

Reactions: Ignatius

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I used to be Atlanta Thrashers fan, now i ain’t got a team, i just follow every team and choose what game to watch by players in both teams.

Reactions: 7even

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Nordiques will always hold a special place among the defunct teams for me, and it's the team i'd most want reincarnated today. The most unjust losing of a team i can remember, along with the Jets obviously. But idk...the Whalers uniforms were sexy, even though i never really cared remotely about the team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also the original Sens. First NHL dynasty. Some fantastic players (Nighbor, Clancy, Benedict, Denneny, Cleghorn for a bit).

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
My late grandfather was a fan of the Maroons. As you suggested, there was a real divide - English speaking Montrealers supported the Maroons, while French speakers supported the Canadiens.

In addition to two Stanley Cups, they had some notable players - such as Nels Stewart, a forgotten great. He was the NHL's all-time goal-scoring leader for nearly 20 years (eventually surpassed by Maurice Richard). He also won two Hart trophies.

My grandfather said that when the Maroons folded, he lost interest in hockey.

every time that you or one of the other posters here talk about super-duper old timey hockey from before color movies were a thing it always reminds me of this:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad