Your Favorite Backup Goalies

lovetherangers

Mar 5, 2010
New York
Bob Froese, Andre Racicot, Alan Bester, Kari Takko, Pokey Reddick, Steve Baker, Gilles Gratton, Ron Tugnutt, Sam St Laurant, Gilles Villamure, Glenn Healy, Doug Soetart, I could keep going...:laugh:

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Frank Pietrangelo

especially remember watching playoff series when he was in Hartford vs the Canadiens in 1992. took them to the 7th game in 2 OT.

heartbreaker of a loss.

lovetherangers

Mar 5, 2010
New York
Frank Pietrangelo

especially remember watching playoff series when he was in Hartford vs the Canadiens in 1992. took them to the 7th game in 2 OT.

heartbreaker of a loss.

The Whale sure did produce a lot of backups didn't they? The only standouts I can think of who tended for them were Sean Burke and Mike Liut. And Jean-Sebastien Giguere, did get drafted by them.

The rest like Sidorkiewicz, Reaugh, Gosselin, Millen, Muzzati, and Smith all were backups who started for them.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Ross Brooks.

35 year-old rookie, played 3 seasons for Bruins, went 37-7-6.

Ooh, good pick. It's still amazing that he was one of 4 goalies used (including a 44 year old Jacques Plante! How about HIM as a favourite "backup"? :sarcasm: ) the year he was called up. You don't see that too often on teams that go 51-22-5 in the regular season, unless injuries start piling up, of course.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Rick Tabaracci! Especially when he was behind Trevor Kidd. Kidd was very inconsistent and Pierre Page had no qualms about starting Tabaracci instead. He wasn't very big, he wasn't very skilled, but he'd make spectacular saves and the team played better with him in net.

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
Ken Wregget's a good one. I remember him playing really well when he was called on in Pittsburgh, also I really loved his mask.

I also liked Mikhail Shtalenkov. I was a little disappointed when he left, as I thought he was a good fit to be the backup to Hebert. Not flashy, but he was an experienced goalie on a fairly young team back then. His stats are a bit misleading, as the team in front of him was just...really, really bad. That's not to say he didn't have his weaknesses, but I always liked him.

I liked Ron Tugnutt as well. He seemed destined to remain a backup goalie for his career up until he signed with Ottawa. His resolve to get better year by year really stood out to me, and soon he had won the starting job.

MonzaSpyder

May 30, 2010
ON
Wendell Young - 10 NHL seasons, only 1 as a starter (due to injury to Barrasso) but a hell of a teammate on/off the ice and was a winner everywhere he went. Only player to win Stanley, Turner, Calder and Memorial Cups (with a couple OHL Robertson Cups in there as well). Not a bad resume!!!

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Jon Casey

Unless you're talking about his St. Louis Blues days, Jon Casey wasn't a backup in Minnesota or Boston. He was a #1 goalie no doubt about it.

Robb Stauber was a brilliant goalie at the University of Minnesota and his stock rose in the NHL big time because of his college career. He was never able to get it together at the NHL level though and served as a backup to Kelly Hrudey for much of his tenure in Los Angeles. I remember him going to Buffalo in the deal that brought Grant Fuhr to the Kings (needless to say neither goalie did anything for either team).

How about Kay Whitmore? He was probably one of the Canucks' best backups.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Miikka Kiprusoff.

I was raving about him as the best backup in the league after he stoned St. Louis in the 2001 playoffs time and again (Sharks lost cuz couldn't help him out by generating any offense) and the following two years in San Jose he was someone I kept telling people about and they'd go "Who?" And I'd say "the Kipper!"

(I was kicked out of a FHL fantasy league for trading Rick DiPietro, Glen Murray and Josef Stumpel for "backup" Kiprusoff, "unproven" Henrik Zetterberg and prospect Shea Weber. It was felt I was dismantling the team by giving up solid performers for what may turn out to be nothing. I tried to make the trade the week immediately following Kiprusoff's trade to Calgary because I knew he'd be a starter and good, just as anyone who watched Bryzgalov in Anaheim knew he'd be a solid starter when picked up by Phoenix. But then again, Bryz was on waivers so his team couldn't convince a single team to take a flyer on him. Anyways... Kipper remains my fav backup. The only other guy I've raved so much about in the face of multiple shrugs from the hockey masses was Martin Erat after the Memorial Cup.)

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
The Whale sure did produce a lot of backups didn't they? The only standouts I can think of who tended for them were Sean Burke and Mike Liut. And Jean-Sebastien Giguere, did get drafted by them.

The rest like Sidorkiewicz, Reaugh, Gosselin, Millen, Muzzati, and Smith all were backups who started for them.

How many starters have Devils prdouced the last 20 or so years? Most teams produce backups.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Miikka Kiprusoff.

I was raving about him as the best backup in the league after he stoned St. Louis in the 2001 playoffs time and again (Sharks lost cuz couldn't help him out by generating any offense) and the following two years in San Jose he was someone I kept telling people about and they'd go "Who?" And I'd say "the Kipper!"

(I was kicked out of a FHL fantasy league for trading Rick DiPietro, Glen Murray and Josef Stumpel for "backup" Kiprusoff, "unproven" Henrik Zetterberg and prospect Shea Weber. It was felt I was dismantling the team by giving up solid performers for what may turn out to be nothing. I tried to make the trade the week immediately following Kiprusoff's trade to Calgary because I knew he'd be a starter and good, just as anyone who watched Bryzgalov in Anaheim knew he'd be a solid starter when picked up by Phoenix. But then again, Bryz was on waivers so his team couldn't convince a single team to take a flyer on him. Anyways... Kipper remains my fav backup. The only other guy I've raved so much about in the face of multiple shrugs from the hockey masses was Martin Erat after the Memorial Cup.)

Wow. Just... wow. You certainly look like a genius now. Imagine what we could talk about here if something like that actually went down back then...

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Start poking around in rosters and one name leads to another. Darryl Reaugh has a pretty unique stat line. He only played three seasons, but there was a two-season gap between each! He played one game for the 84-85 champion Oilers behind Fuhr and Moog.

His next NHL appearance was with the Oilers again in 87-88, the year Fuhr played 75 games!! Does anyone remember how many games Fuhr actually started, because Edmonton used three other goalies who are credited with a total of 15 games - 6 for Reaugh, 6 for Bill Ranford and 3 for Warren Skorodenski.

His last season was 3 years later in 90-91 for Hartford, playing 20 games behind Peter Sidorkewicz.
1987-88 Edmonton Oilers
* Grant Fuhr: 75 games, 73 starts
* Bill Ranford: 6 games, 5 starts (acquired from Boston)
* Daryl Reaugh: 6 games, 1 start
* Warren Skorodenski: 3 games, 1 start

NHL Fanatik*

Umm..... Greiss, Tim Thomas, Alex Auld and Norm Maracle

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Andre 'red light' Racicot, Michel 'bunny' Laroche, Glenn 'chico' resch, and Pokey Reddick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad