Your Favorite Backup Goalies

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I've always had an affinity for backup goaltenders, the guys who routinely play 25 or fewer games per season on a team which clearly has a #1 goalie who will play the majority of the games.

Sure, everyone wanted to see Bernie Parent work his magic when the Flyers came to town, but I would have been just as thrilled to see one of the rare starts by Bobby Taylor.

Another of my faves was Marv Edwards playing behind Gilles Meloche on the Seals. Well, that's two names just to get the ball rolling, let's hear some of yours...

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Peter Skudra on Vancouver. He was always so cheerful and happy in interviews, and he played great behind Cloutier.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Craig is a good one. Three teams in three NHL seasons. Played third fiddle to Bouchard and Riggin in Atlanta. Played 23 games behind Rogie Vachon in Boston. Played 3 games behind Meloche and Beaupre in Minnesota.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Start poking around in rosters and one name leads to another. Darryl Reaugh has a pretty unique stat line. He only played three seasons, but there was a two-season gap between each! He played one game for the 84-85 champion Oilers behind Fuhr and Moog.

His next NHL appearance was with the Oilers again in 87-88, the year Fuhr played 75 games!! Does anyone remember how many games Fuhr actually started, because Edmonton used three other goalies who are credited with a total of 15 games - 6 for Reaugh, 6 for Bill Ranford and 3 for Warren Skorodenski.

His last season was 3 years later in 90-91 for Hartford, playing 20 games behind Peter Sidorkewicz.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Actually Pang had seasons of 45 and 35 games played in his three NHL seasons. He just LOOKED like a backup! LOL

Okay, then lets go with John Blue. People would do the "Bluuuuuuuuuuue" chant after a save and he played the puck like he thought he was a winger.

scribe114

Jul 12, 2005
Detroit, Michigan
Glenn "Chico" Resch
Roland Melanson
Kelly Hrudey

As long as Billy Smith was around at Playoff time there was no need for these guys to lace up their skates.

Hon Mention

Hank Bassen
Denis Dejordy

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Actually, Roy Edwards lost most of his career as Hall's minor league understudy and playoff standby. He didn't get to play until the expansion draft came along.

My favorite backups would be Charlie Hodge and Dave Dryden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad